Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Man ruptures throat holding nose in a sneeze

Still Waters

A 'fit and well' man's attempt to contain a sneeze put him in hospital for a week after he ruptured his throat.

The 34-year-old unnamed man found himself unable to swallow or speak when he held his nose as he sneezed, causing a spontaneous perforation of the pharynx.

It's an unusual condition that occurs after trauma such as vomiting or heavy coughing.

https://news.sky.com/story/mans-throat-ruptured-after-holding-his-nose-during-forceful-sneeze-11209711

• Like 1

A good sneeze is one of life's simple pleasures!  I'm thinking that this guy won't be doing THAT again.

• Like 2

I do the same thing if sneezing in a crowd.  Well I don't hold my nose but I suppress it.  I'll have to rethink that.

• Like 2

Thinking about it, that look a lot like a diving accident when you have a decompression problem because you are keeping the air in the lung going up, the air go trough the long and make bubble around it. Over pressure problem...

Next we'll hear about someone that tried to contain a fart and ruptured their spleen or something. This is important information....