Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Couple held after 13 children found shackled

Still Waters

20 hours ago, Astra. said:

It's all so chilling. I can't help but wonder that since they've found the remains of these poor animals...the authorities are obviously concerned now, that they may find the remains of one or possibly more of their children that no-one was aware of (hence the cadaver's)

I haven't had the time to follow up too much on this story. But I also can't help wondering if this woman secretly home-birthed each / or some of these children. I'm curious as to know if their births (or some of their births) were even registered. 

I think that all of her known births were at hospitals. My guess is that there were no hidden deliveries. I doubt that any of the daughters had babies, even though the dad was sick and twisted. Evidently, their youngest child was the only one that was treated like a human.

The latest bizarre story involves their sex lives. The mom had a tryst with a person, that she met online, at a hotel. She and her husband "celebrated" it a year to the day later in the very same bed in which she and the man did their thing. I apologize for the vomit in your mouth.

• Like 4

23 hours ago, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

That’s just seven shades of creepy. [Captain Kangaroo]

Since when do Australians diss kangaroos? For shame!

13 minutes ago, Paranormal Panther said:

Since when do Australians diss kangaroos? For shame!

That’s not a Kangaroo .... this is a Kangaroo

03CD1842-0F45-4504-B8F0-F0D1406AAA7C.jpeg.cf5c8f8f68a7bc9d28409afae685eb82.jpeg

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

That’s not a Kangaroo .... this is a Kangaroo

03CD1842-0F45-4504-B8F0-F0D1406AAA7C.jpeg.cf5c8f8f68a7bc9d28409afae685eb82.jpeg

Assuming that's not a clandestine government creation, he needs to cut back on the "roods". That's one muscle-laden marsupial!

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Paranormal Panther said:

I think that all of her known births were at hospitals. My guess is that there were no hidden deliveries. I doubt that any of the daughters had babies, even though the dad was sick and twisted. Evidently, their youngest child was the only one that was treated like a human.

Thanks for your view Para. What made me wonder about the births and where she may have delivered some of the children, was probably because they were so secretive about them anyway, as what was taking place behind closed doors in regards to such appalling treatment the children had already been subjected to.

So under the circumstance, it would not have surprised me at all, if some of the babies had been secretly delivered as well.

Yep, another poster had also touched on the issue of the infants (or when they were infants) as in being treated far more humanely.

It was only until they grew out of the 'cuteness' (so to speak) that they began to treat them with less favour, hence the terrible abuse.

They are obviously a pair of psychopaths...no doubt about it. 

The latest bizarre story involves their sex lives. The mom had a tryst with a person, that she met online, at a hotel. She and her husband "celebrated" it a year to the day later in the very same bed in which she and the man did their thing.

Wow, I'm aware that there are those who are into 'kinky' sex or whatnot. But if it's true. Well, that is seriously beyond bizarre.

I apologize for the vomit in your mouth.

No problem, I have a very strong mouth wash on hand.  :tu:

• Like 2

Damn...if i could just have those "parents" all alone for 5 minutes in a dark, soundproof basement and a blow torch in my hands. I'd make them feel pain they never thought was possible. I can't find the words to describe how effed up this is :-S

19 hours ago, Astra. said:

Thanks for your view Para. What made me wonder about the births and where she may have delivered some of the children, was probably because they were so secretive about them anyway, as what was taking place behind closed doors in regards to such appalling treatment the children had already been subjected to.

So under the circumstance, it would not have surprised me at all, if some of the babies had been secretly delivered as well.

Yep, another poster had also touched on the issue of the infants (or when they were infants) as in being treated far more humanely.

It was only until they grew out of the 'cuteness' (so to speak) that they began to treat them with less favour, hence the terrible abuse.

Wow, I'm aware that there are those who are into 'kinky' sex or whatnot. But if it's true. Well, that is seriously beyond bizarre.

I just saw something that made me sick. The siblings will be separated when they are put into foster care. I saw just the headline, so I assumed that it referred to the minor boys and girls. I'm not sure how they handle adults. Of course, the adults have the bodies and the minds of children. Maybe they have a special program for extreme circumstances. I know that they have one for vulnerable adults (challenged, geriatric, schizophrenic, etc.). They had a few offers from people who said that they would take *all* of the kids, so this was disappointing "shake your head" news.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Astra. said:

Ah, geeze! :( I just heard that the children definitely will be separated when they're put into foster care. The adults will live in an adult facility. This sucks. Let's pour salt in their wounds by separating the younger kids before they're sent to strangers' homes. Let's send the older kids to a nursing home with the old folks? However, some relatives volunteered to take custody of them. Let's just hope and pray that the authorities help more than hurt.  

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Paranormal Panther said:

I just saw something that made me sick. The siblings will be separated when they are put into foster care. I saw just the headline, so I assumed that it referred to the minor boys and girls. I'm not sure how they handle adults. Of course, the adults have the bodies and the minds of children. Maybe they have a special program for extreme circumstances. I know that they have one for vulnerable adults (challenged, geriatric, schizophrenic, etc.). They had a few offers from people who said that they would take *all* of the kids, so this was disappointing "shake your head" news.

Thank you for the update Para. Yes, that is very sad that the children will be separated. As if things haven't already been horrific, confusing and no doubt extremely emotional for them. For the younger children, they may have more chance of eventually leading normal lives, as long as they are put in the most loving, understanding and nurturing of homes. For the older children, it's difficult to say. As you said they may have a special programme that is designed to help in these type of extreme cases. I think for most of these children (especially the adult siblings) it's going to take a very, very long time for those who are helping them to undo some or indeed any of the dreadful damage that has been inflicted upon them. I wonder if there are a few kind and decent family members, such as grandparents, aunts etc...that would be considered to be allowed to take a few of the siblings in by keeping them together as much as possible. All in all, it truly is a heart breaking story concerning these children. 

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, Paranormal Panther said:

Ah, geeze! :( I just heard that the children definitely will be separated when they're put into foster care. The adults will live in an adult facility. This sucks. Let's pour salt in their wounds by separating the younger kids before they're sent to strangers' homes. Let's send the older kids to a nursing home with the old folks? However, some relatives volunteered to take custody of them. Let's just hope and pray that the authorities help more than hurt.  

Oh gosh, well at least some of the relatives have volunteered to take custody of them. I guess that will be left up to the proper authorities, as even they (relatives) may need proper screening as to be considered because of this being such a special case. I'd say that these children will need every bit of love, and emotional support and understanding that they can get.  

Edited by Astra.
  • Like 3

10 minutes ago, Astra. said:

Thank you for the update Para. Yes, that is very sad that the children will be separated. As if things haven't already been horrific, confusing and no doubt extremely emotional for them. For the younger children, they may have more chance of eventually leading normal lives, as long as they are put in the most loving, understanding and nurturing of homes. For the older children, it's difficult to say. As you said they may have a special programme that is designed to help in these type of extreme cases. I think for most of these children (especially the adult siblings) it's going to take a very, very long time for those who are helping them to undo some or indeed any of the dreadful damage that has been inflicted upon them. I wonder if there are a few kind and decent family members, such as grandparents, aunts etc...that would be considered to be allowed to take a few of the siblings in by keeping them together as much as possible. All in all, it truly is a heart breaking story concerning these children. 

Their uncle volunteered to take them. Various relatives did too. Even unknown private people said that they would adopt or take in all of the siblings. I hope they stay with each other because that likely would speed up the healing process.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Paranormal Panther said:

Their uncle volunteered to take them. Various relatives did too. Even unknown private people said that they would adopt or take in all of the siblings. I hope they stay with each other because that likely would speed up the healing process.

If anything, it's heart warming to know that there are kind folk out there who really do care about these children.  

• Like 2

They talked to a guy who went to school with the older daughter. He said that he felt guilt and shame because he and other grade school students bullied and shunned her. Evidently, she wore the same clothes each day, and she smelled like feces. She tied her hair with a candy bar wrapper. Also, the "mom" brought her kids to a street event once. A neighbor thought that the older son, who was in his mid twenties at the time, was 15. The "mom" joked that he and his adult siblings always were carded when they went to Las Vegas. The neighbor said that the boy just nodded during the interaction.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Paranormal Panther said:

They talked to a guy who went to school with the older daughter. He said that he felt guilt and shame because he and other grade school students bullied and shunned her. Evidently, she wore the same clothes each day, and she smelled like feces. She tied her hair with a candy bar wrapper. Also, the "mom" brought her kids to a street event once. A neighbor thought that the older son, who was in his mid twenties at the time, was 15. The "mom" joked that he and his adult siblings always were carded when they went to Las Vegas. The neighbor said that the boy just nodded during the interaction.

It's so damn heart breaking what these kids went through. They were so controlled, abused and stomped on by their parents. They had lost every bit of self esteem and confidence in themselves as human beings. To think that any parent could be so cruel and do this to their own kids is simply beyond comprehension. I hope the parents suffer terribly behind bars for the rest of their natural lives. Even the death penalty would be too good for this human vermin. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Astra. said:

It's so damn heart breaking what these kids went through. They were so controlled, abused and stomped on by their parents. They had lost every bit of self esteem and confidence in themselves as human beings. To think that any parent could be so cruel and do this to their own kids is simply beyond comprehension. I hope the parents suffer terribly behind bars for the rest of their natural lives. Even the death penalty would be too good for this human vermin. 

I hope that someone picks their brains to the bones. Their motives are beyond baffling and bewildering. My guess is pure sadism. We just want answers to questions, though. It's human nature. There's no logic and morality to such events, but most of us still ask "why?". It's like the Las Vegas mass murder in that regard. It's hard to not wonder about such things.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Paranormal Panther said:

I hope that someone picks their brains to the bones. Their motives are beyond baffling and bewildering. My guess is pure sadism. We just want answers to questions, though. It's human nature. There's no logic and morality to such events, but most of us still ask "why?". It's like the Las Vegas mass murder in that regard. It's hard to not wonder about such things.

Oh yes, it was definitely sadism, where they both (parents) obviously got some kind of twisted joy out of it. The cruelness must have started at some point, probably with their first child. Then of course it followed with the rest of the children that they had. If one didn't know any better, it was the only reason that they kept having child after child, so as to abuse and make suffer. The psychological make-up behind this type of sadistic cruelty certainly has no logic, rhyme or reason as to their mentality and behaviour.

I can't help wondering tho, as to which one out of the couple was the actual ringleader per se to begin with. As there is probably one who is the more controlling one than the other, whereby the 'other' involved will be more of the 'follower' as to enable and appease the 'controller'. The reason I'm curious, is that it's been known in crimes such as serial killings for eg; where lovers/ couples have worked together to commit the said crimes. In some of the cases that I have read, it's usually the male that is the dominant one and the female follows as to please him. But then who knows, maybe it's her who was / is the most dominant one of the two.

Yes, the Las Vegas mass murder was horrific. Who knows what the mindset was of the shooter at the time. Trying to understand the mentality behind these type of events is mind boggling. 

Edited by Astra.
  • Like 3

19 hours ago, Astra. said:

Oh yes, it was definitely sadism, where they both (parents) obviously got some kind of twisted joy out of it. The cruelness must have started at some point, probably with their first child. Then of course it followed with the rest of the children that they had. If one didn't know any better, it was the only reason that they kept having child after child, so as to abuse and make suffer. The psychological make-up behind this type of sadistic cruelty certainly has no logic, rhyme or reason as to their mentality and behaviour.

I can't help wondering tho, as to which one out of the couple was the actual ringleader per se to begin with. As there is probably one who is the more controlling one than the other, whereby the 'other' involved will be more of the 'follower' as to enable and appease the 'controller'. The reason I'm curious, is that it's been known in crimes such as serial killings for eg; where lovers/ couples have worked together to commit the said crimes. In some of the cases that I have read, it's usually the male that is the dominant one and the female follows as to please him. But then who knows, maybe it's her who was / is the most dominant one of the two.

Yes, the Las Vegas mass murder was horrific. Who knows what the mindset was of the shooter at the time. Trying to understand the mentality behind these type of events is mind boggling. 

That's an excellent post. My take is that both the alleged dad and the alleged mom are responsible for all of their actions. I'm aware of the cases that you mention. The man was dominant in those crimes, some of which were extremely hideous. The Bernardo and Homolka case immediately comes to mind. He received harsher treatment than she did, which bothered me to a certain extent. I hope that the same kind of thing doesn't happen in this case. Both monsters should spend a zillion years in prison.

On a much brighter note, it turns out that the oldest son is quite smart. He was a great student at a community college, where his mom would drop him off and pick him up on a routine basis. His GPA was close to 4.0! The sad thing is that he'll be sent to a facility designed for challenged people, which will do absolutely nothing good for his self esteem.

• Like 3

On 1/24/2018 at 7:36 PM, Paranormal Panther said:

Their uncle volunteered to take them.

The uncle, Randy Turpin, David's brother, is the president of Ohio's Valor Christian College.

The Ohio megachurch was forced to pay a family $2.9 million after a daycare worker hit a two-year-old so hard with a ruler in 2006 that the child developed welts and bruises, including on his privates, according to the Columbus Dispatch.

In 2016, Randy authored a book "21 Days of Prayer and Fasting"

Link

• Like 2

On 1/22/2018 at 9:51 PM, Astra. said:

It's all so chilling. I can't help but wonder that since they've found the remains of these poor animals...the authorities are obviously concerned now, that they may find the remains of one or possibly more of their children that no-one was aware of (hence the cadaver's)

I haven't had the time to follow up too much on this story. But I also can't help wondering if this woman secretly home-birthed each / or some of these children. I'm curious as to know if their births (or some of their births) were even registered. 

Police are considering cadaver dogs. They are also discussing DNA testing to make sure all 13 of the children are from the two parents.

http://www.ktvu.com/news/cadaver-dogs-may-search-california-house-of-horrors

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Winter Summer said:

The uncle, Randy Turpin, David's brother, is the president of Ohio's Valor Christian College.

The Ohio megachurch was forced to pay a family $2.9 million after a daycare worker hit a two-year-old so hard with a ruler in 2006 that the child developed welts and bruises, including on his privates, according to the Columbus Dispatch.

Link

Well, I certainly hope that the uncle isn't considered at all by having these children. The last thing that they need is another relative who's been associated or connected with religion, a past child abuse case, and of all things who is author of a book about prayer and fasting ?....no way. 'BIG' red flag there. 

6 hours ago, susieice said:

Police are considering cadaver dogs. They are also discussing DNA testing to make sure all 13 of the children are from the two parents.

http://www.ktvu.com/news/cadaver-dogs-may-search-california-house-of-horrors

Yes, it's all very disturbing susie. Goodness only knows what else will emerge in regards to this surreal story. 

• Like 3

17 hours ago, Winter Summer said:

Link

This just goes to show that they need to completely vet all volunteers for potential custody of the kids. That goes for family and friends, as well as state-sanctioned official organizations. There are bad apples in many barrels. The siblings definitely don't need more pain in their lives.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

After searching everywhere, I found this youtube channel following the Turpin Case.  The person posting the videos does a good job of examination without sensationalism.

• Like 1