Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

New California Declares Independence

OverSword

With the reading of their own version of a Declaration of Independence, founders of the state of New California took the first steps to what they hope will eventually lead to statehood.

To be clear, they don’t want to leave the United States, just California.

“Well, it’s been ungovernable for a long time. High taxes, education, you name it, and we’re rated around 48th or 50th from a business climate and standpoint in California,” said founder Robert Paul Preston.

The state of New California would incorporate most of the state’s rural counties, leaving the urban coastal counties to the current state of California.

Source

I won't be hugely surprised if this actually happens.

I could easily see every county east of the Cascade Mountain range doing the same thing in my state of Washington.  All of the political decisions of my state are dictated from the very liberal and more populous western part of the state to the utter disgust of the overwhelmingly conservative rural eastern part.

• Like 8

1 minute ago, OverSword said:

Source

I could easily see every county east of the Cascade Mountain range doing the same thing in my state of Washington.  All of the political decisions of my state are dictated from the very liberal and more populous western part of the state to the utter disgust of the overwhelmingly conservative rural eastern part.

Political divisiveness has gone so far it's manifesting in strange ways. I can't tell if this is better or worse than what we have now :blink:

I really don't see the problem. We have 50 states, and splitting it up and making another would appease both sides politically and economically. But, we'll see

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, South Alabam said:

I really don't see the problem. We have 50 states, and splitting it up and making another would appease both sides politically and economically. But, we'll see

I disagree politically, I can't see the Democrats easily letting there 55 electoral votes bastion being cut probably in half with the Republicans getting the other half.

Other then that there is no real downside, California as a state is probably too large and diverse to govern effectively at a state level.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, DarkHunter said:

I disagree politically, I can't see the Democrats easily letting there 55 electoral votes bastion being cut probably in half with the Republicans getting the other half.

Other then that there is no real downside, California as a state is probably too large and diverse to govern effectively at a state level.

Oh you know there will be a fight over those votes.

• Like 1

It might spiral if they let it happen.  I am fine with forming the great state of Gromdor with the two federally paid senators representing my household-err state.

• Like 4

*declares independence from UM, claims mars in the name of the mighty bigfoot and his ghost minions*

• Like 7

I must have been under a rock for the last past time....................

Well,, anyways, part of me feels not surprised that some area wants to disembark from the mother country. Scotland wanted it, but failed. Catalonia is trying to do that from Spain. So, one state here has a part of it to cut itself off hopefully. 

What country, providence, country, state, or what ever wants this next? 

This go me to thinking, if this does happen, then will we have North California and South California, like North and South Dakota and Carolina's??

After "Calexit" was just some fake story, I'm not automatically assuming this is true. 

• Like 2

Why do you shroud all your sources? 

If I can't tell what it is, I'm not clicking on it. 

We all know that Russian trolls started this crap. 

If anyone's gobbling it up, they're stupid for doing so.

Divided we fall, folks.

That's the plan. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, ChaosRose said:

We all know that Russian trolls started this crap. 

If anyone's gobbling it up, they're stupid for doing so.

Divided we fall, folks.

That's the plan. 

This has nothing to do with dividing up the nation or Russian trolls, conservative rural California is tired of liberal urban California dictating everything.  Ever since California was just a territory there has been talk of breaking it up into smaller states.  Whether this will work or not I highly doubt it as it would need approval from congress but it does seem the people behind this New California are following the constitution to try to become a seperate state, much like how West Virginia separated from Virginia.  

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.usatoday.com/amp/1036681001

Since you want clear sources there is USA Today.

I am curious though in how you connected this entire thing to Russian trolls trying to divide the nation, especially divide the nation since New California wants to stay in the union and be the 51 state.

• Like 4

it's "real" in the sense that there's a group that declared it, but it's not real, in the sense that it's never going to happen.

the aspiring 51st state plans to convince California's legislature to split the state before submitting the resolution to Congress.

calling it a "long shot" is generous.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DarkHunter said:

This has nothing to do with dividing up the nation or Russian trolls, conservative rural California is tired of liberal urban California dictating everything.  Ever since California was just a territory there has been talk of breaking it up into smaller states.  Whether this will work or not I highly doubt it as it would need approval from congress but it does seem the people behind this New California are following the constitution to try to become a seperate state, much like how West Virginia separated from Virginia.  

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.usatoday.com/amp/1036681001

Since you want clear sources there is USA Today.

I am curious though in how you connected this entire thing to Russian trolls trying to divide the nation, especially divide the nation since New California wants to stay in the union and be the 51 state.

It does have to do with Russian trolls trying to divide the nation.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjUoOuwud7YAhUM7qwKHfT5DQEQFggvMAE&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.bbc.com%2Fnews%2Fblogs-trending-41853131&usg=AOvVaw2PGuLLEKFSMDEQob5oZYsk

• Like 1

They're well-known for trolling on both sides.

If there's such a "movement," it's no small wonder I'm looking their way. 

16 minutes ago, ChaosRose said:

So you are equating California leaving the union with a disgruntled rural population that feels disenfranchised wanting to create it's own state within the union.  

Besides from the fact that both involve California there is nothing comparable between the two, one involves a state illegally leaving the union and the other involves a group following the constitution to try to create their own state within the union. 

Even then using California leaving the union still doesn't explain how you connected New California to Russian trolls and dividing the nation.  Essentially to use a more logic/math format you did an A + B = C so therefore C = D without ever explaining how you got the second part.  Pointing to evidence of Russian trolls for one thing doesn't prove Russian trolls for another.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, OverSword said:

Source

This is the same in my home state of New York. Damn near the entire state votes conservative accept the city, and a few smaller cities. 

• Like 3

"New California" means a "thug" run state, whereby they can more effectively spread drugs, crime and gangs within California and around the rest of the US.

This highlights a problem with democracy - as did Brexit.

You have a political Unit which operates on a democratic basis -

If all subsets within the unit like the results of a democratic exercise then the democracy is good and the political unit is stable

If some subsets do not like the political result - then some will deem that the democracy is suspect and / or the political unit is unstable - we then get advocators for change and simultaneously champions of the status quo.

On a very real issue - at the moment where I live the current political unit, is deemed acceptable because the democratic result meets the wishes of the majority. Naturally the majority hail the current democracy and political unit.  But there may come a time, which may be hastened by current political exercises, when the political result may not please the current majority - in other words they become a minority. When that happens those that historically held the political majority will no longer like the political result - they will start advocating change - either in the form of democracy or the designation of the political unit.

In other words democracy within an existing political unit is only deemed as good - when it gives subsets the results they want.

Why don't you just split your country in half then? 

Republicans can have the rural areas they get votes from, Democrats have the cities. 

And maybe we'd finally see an end to the petty sniping between the two. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Setton said:

Why don't you just split your country in half then? 

Republicans can have the rural areas they get votes from, Democrats have the cities. 

And maybe we'd finally see an end to the petty sniping between the two. 

Cities would not appreciate the rapid rise in food prices and rural residents will be p***ed when cell phone coverage gets even worse plus cable tv providers drop maintenance/services in lower population areas without city populations offsetting overhead.

My opinion would be to push duties/ordinanaces currently overseen by the state back down to municipal levels where they belong and the bulk of what the federal government meddles in back to the state level.

Edited by Jarocal
  • Like 2

Well, this all seems a bit silly.

According to the US Constitution - https://www.law.cornell.edu/constitution/articleiv - the proposed new state could not be created without both the permission of Congress (feasible), and the State of California legislature. .

I can't see the California State Legislature allowing this to happen ?

For that matter, do a significant number of Californians (in the proposed new 'state') even support this idea, or is the whole thing just a bunch of cranks in a bar  ?