Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Meteor in skies over Michigan

3roadBridge

(WXYZ) - The National Weather Service and United States Geological Survey confirmed that a meteor lit up the skies across Michigan and in several other states on Tuesday night. 

https://www.wxyz.com/news/bright-light-and-loud-sound-heard-throughout-southeast-michigan

• Like 4

I once saw one so bright that it momentarily lit up the night. I was at South Padre Island on the Texas coast. Was sitting by a campfire that was suddenly overwhelmed by a bright light from above. Looked up and saw a large fireball streak by.

Did others notice that the video captures the break up of the fireball?

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, stereologist said:

Did others notice that the video captures the break up of the fireball?

I watched it at 25% speed and I`m not sure if there was break up or not. .

Just now, toast said:

I watched it at 25% speed and I`m not sure if there was break up or not. .

After the light dims down there are 3 dots on the image. Two move but one does not. I was not sure if this was an artifact of the image or actual break up of the meteorite.

It came from the sky. Tuesday night. I'm surprised I didn't catch it on the local news but maybe I didn't watch the news long enough. 

My wife seen it while at work at around 8:08 pm Tuesday night. She said it went from dark night time to everything lit up in the sky. Her and her co-workers all looked up not knowing what was going on. 

It looked the the image I posted (which is the actual meteor). Kinda cool but kinda scary. How did it get past all our astronomers without them knowing before hand? What do you guys think?

Meteor-flash-Twitter-640x480.jpg

Edited by Sooth Sayer
Spell check
  • Like 1

Given it was probably no bigger than about 1-2 metres (3-7ft), it's hardly surprising that astronomers didn't pick it up.  These sort of objects are not really a great threat, unless they reach terra firma and land on top of you.. 

• Like 2

They're pretty cool things to see in the night sky if you're lucky enough. I wonder how many natural pieces of undetected space debris actually survive the burn up and actually hit earth on a daily basis? 

Edited by Astra.

2 hours ago, ChrLzs said:

Given it was probably no bigger than about 1-2 metres (3-7ft), it's hardly surprising that astronomers didn't pick it up.  These sort of objects are not really a great threat, unless they reach terra firma and land on top of you.. 

Gosh, you'd have to be pretty unlucky if that happened :blink:..

Edited by Astra.
  • Like 1