Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

World's longest underwater cave discovered

Still Waters

The world's biggest underwater cave has been discovered by divers in Mexico.

The group connected two underwater caverns to reveal what is thought to be the biggest flooded cave on the planet.

And it is believed that the discovery could help shed light on the ancient Maya civilisation.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/travel_news/article-5278335/Worlds-longest-underwater-cave-discovered-Mexico.html

• Like 9

• 1 month later...

Update:

It's a place that almost seems too magical to exist: the world's largest underwater cave, spanning an incredible 347 kilometres (216 miles) of subterranean caverns, discovered in Mexico a month ago.

When archaeologists unveiled this immense, immersed labyrinth, they said it wasn't just a natural wonder, but an important archaeological find set to reveal sunken secrets of the ancient Maya civilisation – and already that promise is holding true.

Unveiling their preliminary findings this week, a research team led by underwater archaeologist Guillermo de Anda from Mexico's National Institute of Anthropology and History said the sprawling cave consists of almost 250 cenotes (naturally occurring sinkholes) and hosts 198 archaeological sites, some 140 of which are Maya in origin.

https://www.sciencealert.com/the-world-s-largest-underwater-cave-is-already-spilling-its-sunken-maya-secrets-sac-actun-mexico

• Like 7

I was going to skip this article because at a glance I thought it was the worlds longest underwear cave. Glad I re-read the title.

Edited by newbloodmoon
  • Like 3

Real Mayans don't wear underwear underwater ...

~

• Like 5

14 hours ago, third_eye said:

Real Mayans don't wear underwear underwater ...

~

How alliterative of you!  

On a different note... I hope they explore those and create waypoints with O  stations for future explorers :(  TOO many divers die in that sport!

• Like 1