Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

N'th & S'th Korea join up for Olympics

seeder

North and South Korea to form joint Olympic team

Icy relations between the North and South appear to be thawing but Japan has urged caution over the North's "charm offensive".

North and South Korea are to form their first joint Olympic team and march together at the opening ceremony, Seoul says.

The two countries will field a joint women's ice hockey team for the Winter Olympics in PyeongChang, South Korea, next month.

They will also march under a unified peninsula flag, according to a statement from Seoul's Unification Ministry.

North Korea will also send a 550-member delegation to the games, which includes 230 cheerleaders, 140 artists and 30 Taekwondo players for a demonstration.

This delegation will begin arriving in South Korea on 25 January.

North and South Korea are still technically at war with each other, as the 1950-53 conflict ended in a truce, not peace.

https://news.sky.com/story/north-and-south-korea-to-form-joint-olympic-team-11211151

• Like 7

It's probably the smartest move that North Korea has made in a while, though I think most will see through it.

If Kim Jong-un is offering an olive branch to the South, albeit a limp one, it's going to be harder for Moon Jae-in's government to maintain the hard line U.S. stance with the North.

Divide and conquer tactics, although I doubt there'll be much division and certainly no conquering :rolleyes:

• Like 4

How good are the North's Athletes?

If not very good does this give him the opportunity to share in victories he would not otherwise have or spread the blame for lack of success across the two nations if that should be the case.

I don't think there is really much more to it at this stage. It would need to be followed by a lot more before happy days with the South was realistic.

Edited by RAyMO
  • Like 1

North Koreans are human beings, just like human beings of any other nations.

They can be as good if not better than many or not so much compared to others ...

~

[00.05:26]

~

• Like 2

2 hours ago, khol said:

Its sad it cant be viewed upon as a form of reconciliation between the two countries. Unfortunately with the man child leader ulterior motives are most likely present

https://www.cfr.org/backgrounder/what-know-about-sanctions-north-korea

If true, this would be a first ever since the split and it is happening after Trump's hard line stance yet you still hammer Trump?   What would be Trump's "ulterior motive" given that he is NOT involved in this possible small reconciliation between north and south?

As far as the sanctions I agree with the article, they are a weak at best motivation given the players involved but what are the other choices?   That NK is nuclear is not Trump's fault, that happened on other people's watches, but at least China is joining in a little. something they have not done before.   Obama allowed NK a 4%GDP according to your article, it's best GDP in many years, so obviously there was zero motivation to slow down missile and nuke development the last 8 years

Edited by Merc14
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, Merc14 said:

If true, this would be a first ever since the split and it is happening after Trump's hard line stance yet you still hammer Trump?   What would be Trump's "ulterior motive" given that he is NOT involved in this possible small reconciliation between north and south?

As far as the sanctions I agree with the article, they are a weak at best motivation given the players involved but what are the other choices?   That NK is nuclear is not Trump's fault, that happened on other people's watches, but at least China is joining in a little. something they have not done before.   Obama allowed NK a 4%GDP according to your article, it's best GDP in many years, so obviously there was zero motivation to slow down missile and nuke development the last 8 years

I wasnt talkin about Trump . N and S Korea are technically still at war.And I would hope KimJong-un was joining the South in the Olympics as a peace effort .But I doubt this is the case based on his record . Im sure its more a political ploy to try and lighten sanctions against him or something to that effect.He just seems like a wing nut. I definitely like the idea of both countries uniting in this tho. Trump?..well thats another story I try and stay out of :blink:

• Like 2

It is ridiculous that there is such apprehension between the two states from a war that started over 65 years ago. All they have to do is sit down at the table and say "let's have peace". Then make that happen with underlying articles to implement it.  Maybe these Olympics will help ease tension.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, South Alabam said:

It is ridiculous that there is such apprehension between the two states from a war that started over 65 years ago. All they have to do is sit down at the table and say "let's have peace". Then make that happen with underlying articles to implement it.  Maybe these Olympics will help ease tension.

Hope springs eternal... it's too bad that reality keeps crushing it down.  I think it's obvious that Moon wants to avoid carnage in his country, probably at any cost.  No one can blame him for trying for diplomacy.   While history clearly teaches the result of appeasement, it seems that every generation or two people have to relearn the lesson in blood for them to believe. Sadly, the SK people may get caught in a cross-fire if Kim decides to lash out in fear of losing his own life or power.  Along with them, the U.S. could lose a city or a national power grid that led to the death of tens of millions or more.  If that happened, I suspect that the Middle Kingdom, along with NK, would become a quiet neighborhood for a very long time.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, and then said:

Hope springs eternal... it's too bad that reality keeps crushing it down.  I think it's obvious that Moon wants to avoid carnage in his country, probably at any cost.  No one can blame him for trying for diplomacy.   While history clearly teaches the result of appeasement, it seems that every generation or two people have to relearn the lesson in blood for them to believe. Sadly, the SK people may get caught in a cross-fire if Kim decides to lash out in fear of losing his own life or power.  Along with them, the U.S. could lose a city or a national power grid that led to the death of tens of millions or more.  If that happened, I suspect that the Middle Kingdom, along with NK, would become a quiet neighborhood for a very long time.

Oh DO cheer up, AndThen :D

Have you considered than Kim is pushing this sudden rapproachment because the Trump sanctions are about to REALLY bite ? I think he is hoping to persuade Moon to come to a 'new deal', which would involve SK itself distancing itself from the USA, and breaking the sanctions itself.

But this would have to be a two-way street; Moon isn't stupid (I assume), so NK would have to put something on the table.

It is conceivable - though by no means certain - that this could be a genuine breakthrough.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, RoofGardener said:

It is conceivable - though by no means certain - that this could be a genuine breakthrough.

If so, it would literally be a FIRST.  These guys have played the U.S., SK, and Japan like a musical instrument for years.  Only a straight up fool would trust them at this point.  I think the U.S. should sanction all those who are found breaking the sanctions on Kim's state.  China first and foremost but Russia as well if they are doing significant business with Kim.  When the only alternative is to either live with a growing threat from a thug regime or the death of millions of people on the peninsula, I think risking conflict with Xi and Putin is called for.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, and then said:

When the only alternative is to either live with a growing threat from a thug regime or the death of millions of people on the peninsula, I think risking conflict with Xi and Putin is called for.

Dirty laundry ...

~

Clock running out for Congress to avert government shutdown - Reuters

2 hours ago - WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Racing against a midnight deadline, the U.S. Congress will try on Friday to send President Donald Trump legislation to keep the government operating and avoid federal agency shutdowns that would otherwise begin on Saturday. ... The House of Representatives voted ...
~
Dec 6, 2017 - President Donald Trump on Wednesday said that a government shutdown "could happen" as soon as Saturday. ... bill are permanent protections for the nearly 800,000 young, undocumented immigrants currently living in the United States who were brought here as children, the so-called Dreamers.
~
Dec 6, 2017 - President Donald Trump met with congressional leaders from both parties Thursday to negotiate on a long-term budget deal as Congress prepares to pass a stopgap spending measure to avoid a U.S. government shutdown Saturday. The House is expected to vote on a two-week spending bill to keep the ...
~
Dec 2, 2017 - WASHINGTON — House Republicans introduced a bill Saturday to prevent a government shutdown next week, but their stop-gap funding measure would last only until Dec. 22 — creating another shutdown scenario just days before Christmas. Current funding to keep the government running is set to ...
~

The three things standing between Congress and a government shutdown. Eliza Collins, USA TODAY Published 4:33 p.m. ET Dec. 6, 2017 | Updated 8:35 p.m. ET Dec. 6, 2017. CLOSE. President Donald Trump says a government shutdown "could happen" Saturday, and he is blaming it on Democrats' stance on 

~

As South Korea native, I think that Joining Pyeoungchang has little effect on peace in Korea peninsular. North Korea just want time that will bring completing nuclear strike ability to the USA. 

Their final goal is to OCCUPY South Korea. They want to negotiate with the USA, not ROK.

Lots of people in ROK oppose North Korea's Joining in Pyeongchang. 

especially, young generation of ROK say Pyeongchang as Pyeongyang Olympic( sarcasm).

Pyeong chang  with North korea is just giving money away to North Korea.

9 hours ago, Great Old Man said:

As South Korea native, I think that Joining Pyeoungchang has little effect on peace in Korea peninsular. North Korea just want time that will bring completing nuclear strike ability to the USA. 

Their final goal is to OCCUPY South Korea. They want to negotiate with the USA, not ROK.

Lots of people in ROK oppose North Korea's Joining in Pyeongchang. 

especially, young generation of ROK say Pyeongchang as Pyeongyang Olympic( sarcasm).

Pyeong chang  with North korea is just giving money away to North Korea.

Its good to hear from someone who is actually there. Tell me please....in your opinion, what is the best answer?

and what will be the result of that answer?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, seeder said:

Its good to hear from someone who is actually there. Tell me please....in your opinion, what is the best answer?

and what will be the result of that answer?

In my opinion, The best answer is to  put nuclear weapons in South Korea. It is only way to protect ROK from DPRK.

Why Kim Joung eun make nuclear weapon despite of starving North Korea people?

He want to invade and unify Korea with military action.

If the USA put strategic nuclear weapon in Korea, It will be a good thing to collapse North Korea regime.

However, in this situation, the USA is trying to put pressure on China ( notifying nuclear armament of Korea, Japan) to stop North Korea's nuclear weapon.

9 minutes ago, Great Old Man said:

In my opinion, The best answer is to  put nuclear weapons in South Korea. It is only way to protect ROK from DPRK.

Why Kim Joung eun make nuclear weapon despite of starving North Korea people?

He want to invade and unify Korea with military action.

If the USA put strategic nuclear weapon in Korea, It will be a good thing to collapse North Korea regime.

However, in this situation, the USA is trying to put pressure on China ( notifying nuclear armament of Korea, Japan) to stop North Korea's nuclear weapon.

In my opinion, nuke weapons dont solve anything.  Best just to assassinate Kim

and let freedom take over

Short time after Kim sent message to South, message about negotiations for the unity of Korea. Korean people could profit. 

After all the Vietnamese have too, even to international community recognized them only after they made way for bankers into Vietnam.

Interesting time ahead, all thanks to Trumps rumbling.

Finally......the Trump fracture tactics are fussed to heal in ways he never imagined......