Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Life is Pointless!

XenoFish

10 hours ago, Tatetopa said:

Nope, not an accident. An unlikely outcome, one of many possibilities from an organic and chemical chain of events, but not an accident.  That implies purpose and deviation from said purpose.

absolutely thankyou  

I was partly referring to this    https://www.psi.edu/epo/ktimpact/ktimpact.html    still tho...accident is the wrong expression

If this just grazed the planet at that time and did not strike...it is very likely or more of an absolute actually, that humans wouldn't even have existed. It would have been a reptilian world. Thats how close it came to our non existance. We owe our existance to that rock

Edited by khol
  • Like 3

I have one disagreement with all that....

1.  The Now...isn't Present...it just is...it is always and forever Now.   By the time our brain recognizes what our eyes have seen...it is only a memory.  So there really is no present.

I think he intellectualized there being 'no point' just a tad much though.  It is inherent in Mankind to question why.  It's what we do.   And there actually is a Point to life.  The point of life is to continue.....it is the Prime Objective.

There is a video on Netflix I watched...The Planet Earth...something like that...and there are these Iguana type lizards that live on an Island.   There are also a lot of snakes on the Island.  When the lizard eggs hatch from beneath the soil...the newborn lizards dig there way up.  Before their head even comes out of the soil...there eyes are scanning the landscape for snakes.  Then they run for the rocks...some of them make it...some don't.  But they are all aware of the snakes, where the rocks are, the fact that they can outrun the snakes, and the knowledge that if they reach the upper rocks they are safe.  They are aware of all of this...the second they are born.   

• Like 3

One of the points of my life is to amuse myself with mind set of people who claim that life is pointless.

• Like 2

You must give meaning to the Universe, infusing the fabric of the cosmos itself with artistic passion.

Edited by TruthSeeker_
  • Like 1

I agree with XenoFish in that life has no inherent meaning, point or purpose. These are all human created concepts that only serve to help convince a person that such a thing actually exists.

In short it is all a game of pretend, essentially. Granted some "games" are necessary such as caring for others and trying not to be a king-sized jerkwad but otherwise there is no grand plan for life.

I found something on the net that seems to adequately sum it up:

Human life has no meaning independent of itself. There is no cosmic force or deity to give it meaning or significance. There is no ultimate destiny for man. Such a belief is an illusion of humankind's infancy. The meaning of life is what we choose to give it. Meaning grows out of human purposes alone. Nature provides us with an infinite range of opportunities, but it is only our vision and our action that select and realize those that we desire.... Thus the good life is achieved, invented, fashioned in an active life of enterprise and endeavor. But whether or not an individual chooses to enter into the arena depends upon him alone. Those who do can find it energizing, exhilarating, full of triumph and satisfaction. In spite of failures, setbacks, suffering, and pain, life can be fun.

--Paul Kurtz

So there you have it. It is an illusion we create. We can only do what we can do so why worry about purpose and point when we have a very real life to contend with?

• Like 5

14 hours ago, Ryu said:

So there you have it. It is an illusion we create. We can only do what we can do so why worry about purpose and point when we have a very real life to contend with?

Exactamundo!

....might I add that..in the context of that 'very real life to contend with'....there is no point in worrying about any of that either.

• Like 3

I don't think we're just a cosmic accident. I can't prove this mind you, I just don't believe it. I believe that life is a miracle and that there is something of great purpose behind this miracle. 

Everyone is free to believe whatever they choose though. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

life it not pointless......we life to die....or there is no point in us being........we have to to life and know we will die......otherwise we don't live....

8 minutes ago, cluey said:

life it not pointless......we live to die....or there is no point in us being........we have to live and know we will die......otherwise we don't live....

We live and then we die. Doesn't mean there was a point at all to it. 

• Like 1

On 17 January 2018 at 8:10 PM, XenoFish said:

The only reason things have a point or purpose is because we've giving it to them. The point of your existence, the meaning of your life, how do you define those things? By giving definition to your existence you define yourself. Choices, we're all made of them. Yet there is no underlining meaning to our existence, the universe or anything. And that's okay. Perhaps if there is a god, it didn't have a plan in mind.

I think you are right about us giving things a point or not, how could it be any other way?

And I think that in a large part, whether you believe that there is a meaning to life depends largely upon whether you believe that life came from some kind of primordial soup, by accident, or whether you see a Higher Intelligence at work?

Me, I believe in God, whatever THAT actually is?

So, the meaning of life from my prospective, would be to understand, express, and experience life at its fullest

So the point of life is to awaken to life. 

Demonstrating ones divine nature to its highest potential.

How or why, when and where, is of course up to the individual.

The natural outcome or side affect to this view and expression is happiness, calmness, joy, contentment, peace, friendship and everything else that is good about Life in general. The greater the expression, the greater those experiences. Me, I've only just started so please forgive any slips of alignment from this high ideal. Im working on it lol!

How you live is your choice, but know that choices have consequences - sometimes good, sometimes bad, and sometimes ugly.

• Like 1

On 18/01/2018 at 5:02 PM, Tatetopa said:

Nope, not an accident. An unlikely outcome, one of many possibilities from an organic and chemical chain of events, but not an accident.  That implies purpose and deviation from said purpose.

No, I am an accident.   My Mum told me so  :o:(:P

• Haha 2

so... is every other life pointless?   From the grass and plants, insects, trees, birds, fish and all animals?

It seems when we take 'people' out of the question... the meaning for all other life is.... that it exists....just because it CAN....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 5 months later...
On 18. 01. 2018. at 11:32 AM, XenoFish said:

There are those out there who see "life is meaningless" and automatically think is a depressing statement. For me, it makes the most sense. Why should life have a meaning? Why should we have a purpose? Is there a point? The only answers I can give to anyone is to create their own meaning, live for their own purpose, and make it a point to do so. But be authentic in your actions. Own your choices. 

Thats because we need meaning for everything in this world and we always searching for it not matter what it is, and when meaningless hit us in the face we cannot cope with it that so we find it depressing. Ever thinked about life of butterfly, yeah pretty sad to live few weeks. But butterfly found his fulfilment in flying around from flower to flower and spreading pollen to grow new life and he don't give a ****.  So we can found that fulfilment by creating the meaning, some found it in religion,their choice okay, for me religion is very small box so i can't fit into that, nobodys the same. I like painting and painting is very similar to this creation of meaning in life, i see that "creation of meaning" as painting on blank canvas.

After we die, not many people will remember us.  Most people will be forgotten 10 to 200 years after their deaths.

I believe if you have a goal in life you want to achieve, you have to do just for the sake of doing it.  In other words, you cannot count on other people's reactions to your achievements. Some will approve and some will disapprove for some random reason based on their experiences.  Most people will not even notice or care what you did.

Have lived,reasonable people say that in life there is no sense!
Billions of years of evolution worked on them and that's the result..
Did all this science and did not give the person the answer to the main question? That's what happens when religion is pushed aside, the meaning of life is lost because there is no soul and spirit and there is no reason to live!

It does seem like everything is futile. 

You fix one thing over here and 5 more problems crop up over there. 

And people never seem to learn from history, either. 

• Like 1

Life is just as pointless or as meaningful as you, yourself, make it. It's all up to you and nobody else. It's finite and you do what you can with the time allotted you, or you can do nothing. Everything changes and nothing lasts forever and happiness and sorrow are part and parcel to the experience. You do the best you can to do the best you can with it. It's not a matter of what life owes you--it owes you nothing. It's what you owe to yourself. 

Well now that someone asks is there a point to life I had to think about it for a couple of minutes. I really didn't need one before and I am pretty sure that if I have gone this long without needing one then I am left with what is the point of me thinking about whether or not I need a point if I never needed one before.

Conclusion

DOS mas cervezas por favor

jmccr8

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Can't believe I just spotted this. Thanks jmccr8 :tu:

I found that oddly comforting to listen to. 

I have a disagreement too. I don't think religious people end their life feeling empty. I may not be religious, but when I lost my father he seemed OK that his time was up, he took comfort in his faith and met his end with dignity. I think for a lot of religious people, NDEs that meet their expectations would offer a sense of fulfillment. I don't think many regret an investment in religion, sort of like the mythical atheist in the foxhole. I think most find fulfilment in life in some way or another, it takes some longer than others, and there's exceptions to the rule of course. 

And its not for me, I'm sure that goes without saying, but other than that, I'd agree with pretty much everything else, as I mentioned, oddly comforting. 

Science-Quotes-That-will-supercharge-you

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On ‎17‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 5:23 PM, XenoFish said:

Video's about 3:51 minutes long. I'd like to open a discussion revolving around the topic of finding or not finding the point, purpose, or meaning in life.

Insight: An eternal truth is something true now, in the past, and in the future. It is something that at all points in time has, is, and will always be forever true.

Realisation: There are no eternal truths in the universes. The cells you were born with have all died, you lose and form new relationships all the time, the buildings you see on the way to work will one day be gone, your country at some point will cease to exist, the planet shall reach the end of its life a few billion years from now (hopefully), and nothing else in the universe will be spared this savage process.

The only truth is that there is an experience going on and you are that experience. Because you struggle to see the impermanence of things you think there are truths (the objects of experience). You attach to them causing you positive or negative emotions based on whether they present some kind of pleasure or suffering.

The point of life is to realise there is just an experience going on that has no inherent truth.

14 minutes ago, Imaginarynumber1 said:

You're all just going to rot or burn anyway 

Death doesn't care about how great or small you were in life. It is perfectly indifferent. 

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

Death doesn't care about how great or small you were in life. It is perfectly indifferent. 

Nope, it does not discriminate.  And it comes for us all. Often at inopportune times. 

So very many people die naked....

Edited by Imaginarynumber1
  • Like 2