Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Life is Pointless!

XenoFish

Its hard to expand on this but its true. Understand there doesn't have to be a point to our existance. We are an accident.The sooner you know this the more free you become. Life remains a miracle. 

• Like 7

Excellent video..

He certainly has a point and i agree with it. :tu:

This is my take on life too.

It took less than 4 minutes to explain.....the point, and it is as simple as that.

• Like 4

Just now, Truthseeker007 said:

My point in life is to have fun and enjoy love.

Or have love and enjoy fun.  Same difference i suppose.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, freetoroam said:

Or have love and enjoy fun.  Same difference i suppose.

Or even change the have to make and enjoy fun.;)

• Like 2

There seems to be the constant struggle in people lives to be happy. Then it dawns on me that the root of their unhappiness is their struggle to be happy. Same goes of the meaning of life. Many seeking a greater meaning and purpose, yet never find it. There is no big answer. And I agree with post #4. 

• Like 5

Interesting video.   I have to say for myself, personally there is a point in my life and that is to be like Christ, whom I follow.  That entails being forgiving, loving and trying to help others in my journey.  I try not to fret about future events because I believe in a higher power that is in control.  I don't have all the answers such as if there is such a power, why bad things still happen.  I still question that myself.  All I can do is to keep trying to understand why such things happen and continue to assist others in need.   

Edited by tcgram
  • Like 8

39 minutes ago, seanjo said:

Procreation...that is the meaning of life...

i'm glad that i'm failing at it then!

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, tcgram said:

*Snip* 

Edited by tcgram
Double post

I've often been puzzled by the majority's need for a point to life. Our lives are about as relevant as a bacteria, on the cosmic scale. But that's okay. I like having the freedom to determine my own path, rather than fulfilling some convoluted "purpose." After all, life is far too important to be taken seriously.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

The meaning of life?  I thought it had something to do with insurance clerks becoming pirates, sperm, over-eating and not eating the salmon mousse .....?

• Like 2

But on a more serious note, I have always considered the "meaning of life" to be the acquisition and dissipation of information/knowledge.   One learns and passes on what one learns to others.  For the furtherance of the whole.  That works on a most levels, I think, from dna upwards?

• Like 1

Nothing is pointless.  Even the point about life being pointless has meaning; therefore, it's not.  

1 minute ago, Guyver said:

Nothing is pointless.  Even the point about life being pointless has meaning; therefore, it's not.  

The only reason things have a point or purpose is because we've giving it to them. The point of your existence, the meaning of your life, how do you define those things? By giving definition to your existence you define yourself. Choices, we're all made of them. Yet there is no underlining meaning to our existence, the universe or anything. And that's okay. Perhaps if there is a god, it didn't have a plan in mind.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

The only reason things have a point or purpose is because we've giving it to them. 

Of course. That's the only way anything makes any sense to us.  It's our own perception of reality.  

3 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

The only reason things have a point or purpose is because we've giving it to them. The point of your existence, the meaning of your life, how do you define those things? By giving definition to your existence you define yourself. Choices, we're all made of them. Yet there is no underlining meaning to our existence, the universe or anything. And that's okay. Perhaps if there is a god, it didn't have a plan in mind.

I always struggle with what an 'underlying meaning'/overall point even theoretically would look like.  When I hear from others, usually the religious, what 'the point' is it just comes across as just something they want to be true.

Let's say there was a religion more aligned with pessimism.  There is a supreme creator God but he subsists on our suffering, we were created to generate more suffering thereby providing sustenance to the creator and that's it.  Do our lives have an overall point?  Yes, to feed and please God.  Does it have meaning?  Kinda, the ultimate meaning is again to please God, but I don't think many of us would call our lives 'meaningful' in such a scenario where we exist only to generate nourishment for God via suffering. 

So it seems like logically then that all references to 'meaning' have to be subjective and tailored to the individual; no one overall meaning will provide meaning to everyone.

• Like 6

@XenoFish Great video, glad you opened this topic. :tu:

As for me, I think for there to be some sort of 'point' or 'meaning' to life and this universe, there would have to be at least some sort of conscious intent by a creator deity, with at least the same degree of consciousness that we have, possibly more. Purpose is only assigned by intelligent conscious entities. Anything else is either accident or impulse, nothing more.

Although regardless of whether there is a purpose or not, the mere fact that billions upon billions of people have lived and died either never knowing what this purpose is or thinking they know what it is and were wrong, is reason enough to assume that knowing what this purpose is (if it exists) is pointless in itself. Therefore, it's best to simply find our own meaning like so many here have already said.

Lastly I'd just like to add, that I think what matters has less to do with purpose, and more so with the level of fulfillment. It's one thing to say that the pursuit of happiness is what gives your life meaning, but does that bring you fulfillment? My guess is no. There are tons of things out there that can make someone happy in the current moment, but that leave oneself feeling as if you truly lack something. What I'm getting at is, what most people are searching for in life, is to make an impact in the world. To leave something behind that will affect the lives and future of others, not just themselves. Whether it to be an artist, or musician, a scientist, a doctor, or something as simple as a husband or a father; we all almost universally seek to make an impact that will affect the lives of people other than ourselves. Whether this desire for making an impact on the world is pointless or not in itself is pointless. Main thing is, we all basically have this shared desire. There are a near infinite number of ways we can achieve this 'impact', but ultimately no matter what it is, the gold at the end of the rainbow is the sense of fulfillment. It's in discovering our passion, aka what we truly deep down subconsciously love and have an affinity towards, that tells us what specific path we want to walk down to achieve this sense of fulfillment.

So in short: Nearly all of us seek to make an impact, and to do that we discover our passion, then we work towards achieving a greater sense of fulfillment.

Whether you were born with a purpose given to you by some intelligent source outside of yourself or not, it doesn't matter. What matters is in finding your own purpose and seeking to obtain a good sense of fulfilling said purpose. That's what ultimately matters.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Liquid Gardens said:

I always struggle with what an 'underlying meaning'/overall point even theoretically would look like.  When I hear from others, usually the religious, what 'the point' is it just comes across as just something they want to be true.

I've always been interested in something I call The Art of Living.  There might be a correct philosophy behind what I'm about to write and if so, by all means point it out. To me the art of living is just that, to live. To take some enjoyment in that living. Where there doesn't have to be some grand point, purpose, or meaning to life itself, just live and make the most of it. 

There are only two 'truths' in life I know of. The first being death and the second is that not everything will go the way we want. When it comes to certain paths (as in religion) I find them distasteful. While they might give someone a deep sense of fulfillment, I can not bow to the path of another. Even if my own path leads to failure it was done authentically. The only 'purpose' I have is what I define such during the day. Same with a point to my existence. I exist because I exist. That's good enough for me. 

There are those out there who see "life is meaningless" and automatically think is a depressing statement. For me, it makes the most sense. Why should life have a meaning? Why should we have a purpose? Is there a point? The only answers I can give to anyone is to create their own meaning, live for their own purpose, and make it a point to do so. But be authentic in your actions. Own your choices. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, khol said:

We are an accident.The sooner you know this the more free you become. Life remains a miracle. 

Nope, not an accident. An unlikely outcome, one of many possibilities from an organic and chemical chain of events, but not an accident.  That implies purpose and deviation from said purpose.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2