Jump to content
Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
XenoFish

Life is Pointless!

66 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

Robotic Jew

Duh doi!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
Atheist Pope

I must admit, I've always been a cynic/nihilist/atheist, all three are attributable but not necessarily interchangeable or mutually exclusive. Still, I've searched for answers, dabbling in the occult, tagging along on paranormal investigations, searching for cryptids, and to be honest, nothing out of the ordinary has occured. Not once did I experience anything which I couldn't answer with my own limited skills. You get the dualists and idealists banging on about mind over matter, but in my own experiments, I could never prove such an outlook. Sure, I don't possess a lab or a hefty budget, but I don't believe they're necessary for inward searching of knowledge The New Age crowd invoke quantum physics as a get out of jail free card, unaware that scientists on a different level of intelligence don't perceive anything mystical or paradigm shattering within the theory.

I've spoken to skeptics and proponents alike, always challenging my own beliefs, but they've not wavered yet. I admit, I've always had an innate bitterness to my own mortality and meaningless existence, leading to an existential crisis at college when studying Philosophy and tackling topics like Ontological, Teleological and Cosmological arguments. I'm only in my 20s, but I'm not one of those atheists who is happy with the absence of an intelligent designer. Maybe I'm just melancholic and pessimistic by way of genetics, but I'm awaiting the day I reach the acceptance phase and can fully enjoy this one miraculous life because there sure isn't going to be a second go at it with this one being nothing but an excruciating rehearsal.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Hello Davros Kitty
On 1/18/2018 at 11:33 PM, joc said:

There is a video on Netflix I watched...The Planet Earth...something like that...and there are these Iguana type lizards that live on an Island.   There are also a lot of snakes on the Island.  When the lizard eggs hatch from beneath the soil...the newborn lizards dig there way up.  Before their head even comes out of the soil...there eyes are scanning the landscape for snakes.  Then they run for the rocks...some of them make it...some don't.  But they are all aware of the snakes, where the rocks are, the fact that they can outrun the snakes, and the knowledge that if they reach the upper rocks they are safe.  They are aware of all of this...the second they are born.   

 

I'm responding to this because it's left open ended that needs closure for those willing to understand evolution.

I was watching a hunting show once (archery/deer). The hunter was showing examples of proper shot placement for broadside heart, and lung. He commented on every time when hit the deer bucks, and back kicks. He says "They always do that, and I don't know why?". I know why. They are responding to a long time predator that's not around anymore. A long time ago the deer (rather an ancient ancestor of the deer) that reacted by doing this, and escaped went on to pass it's genes. Once the gene pool was predominant to proper reaction for better chance of survival when being attacked from behind, or the predator dropping down from above the instinct became ingrained.

If you see sea turtles hatching the young head straight to the ocean. The mother lays many eggs for greater chance of survival of her genes for predators pick them off as the young go to the ocean, and reaching the ocean is no guarantee either. What is not usually shown in nature shows is that few of the young do not go straight to the ocean. Some go in circles, and some though fewer go the opposite way. What if the ones that go in circles are the original instinct where the straight to the ocean ones became the dominant instinct once predators became more prolific? What if the ones going the other way is just the quirk of evolution? There just might be a fresh water pond nearby rich in food, and free of predators? Over time this once sea turtle would become a new species, but that's if others made it to the same pond, and adapted to the environment?

As for the higher rock seeking lizards. You can just look at what the program showed you, and make assumptions. But in nature there's been a long progressive process of both successes, and failures. If one just looks at the success, and ignores the failures? Then in my opinion they are missing out on the true awe. The quirk in evolution is more unto that mutation, and natural selection leads to success eventually. Also keep in mind that some nature documentaries are scrupulous with there methods.

 

As for this thread. The point of life is to keep the planet clean and green.

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
joc
6 hours ago, davros of skaro said:

I'm responding to this because it's left open ended that needs closure for those willing to understand evolution.

I was watching a hunting show once (archery/deer). The hunter was showing examples of proper shot placement for broadside heart, and lung. He commented on every time when hit the deer bucks, and back kicks. He says "They always do that, and I don't know why?". I know why. They are responding to a long time predator that's not around anymore. A long time ago the deer (rather an ancient ancestor of the deer) that reacted by doing this, and escaped went on to pass it's genes. Once the gene pool was predominant to proper reaction for better chance of survival when being attacked from behind, or the predator dropping down from above the instinct became ingrained.

If you see sea turtles hatching the young head straight to the ocean. The mother lays many eggs for greater chance of survival of her genes for predators pick them off as the young go to the ocean, and reaching the ocean is no guarantee either. What is not usually shown in nature shows is that few of the young do not go straight to the ocean. Some go in circles, and some though fewer go the opposite way. What if the ones that go in circles are the original instinct where the straight to the ocean ones became the dominant instinct once predators became more prolific? What if the ones going the other way is just the quirk of evolution? There just might be a fresh water pond nearby rich in food, and free of predators? Over time this once sea turtle would become a new species, but that's if others made it to the same pond, and adapted to the environment?

As for the higher rock seeking lizards. You can just look at what the program showed you, and make assumptions. But in nature there's been a long progressive process of both successes, and failures. If one just looks at the success, and ignores the failures? Then in my opinion they are missing out on the true awe. The quirk in evolution is more unto that mutation, and natural selection leads to success eventually. Also keep in mind that some nature documentaries are scrupulous with there methods.

 

As for this thread. The point of life is to keep the planet clean and green.

 

Thanks for that...another thing some of the lizards do is stop cold...and wait for a snake to pass by...knowing that the snakes cannot see them unless they move.

...and...why dogs go around in a circle before lying dkwn...the ANCIENT art of laying down the tall grass to make a cozy bed engrained in their dna.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sherapy
Posted (edited)
On 1/17/2018 at 9:23 AM, XenoFish said:

Video's about 3:51 minutes long. I'd like to open a discussion revolving around the topic of finding or not finding the point, purpose, or meaning in life.

Personally, the pointlessness is the golden yummy, because it makes the illusion we are free to decide feasible. Accepting this little nugget has put me in a Zen sweet spot for the most part, of course I have bad days. Lol 

Years ago, I grasped the meaming of meditation after months of agonizing, searching and use this bit of wisdom a lot. This is what I figured out, ready for this: I had nothing to learn, nothing to find, nothing to know, nothing to change, nothing to grow into, nothing to earn or perfect, no guru to hire, no book to buy, blah blah blah, I only had to go to the silence that was already there in my mind to begin with. 

In retrospect, at this point in my life, it has s to love and be loved and have a damn good time while I am at it. 

Edited by Sherapy
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Dark_Grey
19 hours ago, Hammerclaw said:

The problem with living is that some people think too much about it while doing too little of it.

The thinking man's dilemma..

  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
LostSouls7

The purpose is for me to get rich and get all i wish and desire.

To enjoy each moment and have so much fun.

That is all.. anything that does not make me rich and happy is not my purpose!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
LostSouls7
On 7/17/2018 at 5:31 PM, Hammerclaw said:

The problem with living is that some people think too much about it while doing too little of it.

Oh this year I have taken action! and I feel so powerful! I love it

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ImaBelieber

There could be a point to life. We just don't know and may never know. You could either spend your lifetime being a scientist, who looks into these kinds of things. Analyzing people living life or the world around us. Or be one of the people who actually lives life

I chose the middle route. I like to think about it but its very rarely.., don't dwell on it or let it affect me negatively. If people are over thinking about it.., then they should stop

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
GlitterRose
8 hours ago, ImaBelieber said:

There could be a point to life. We just don't know and may never know. You could either spend your lifetime being a scientist, who looks into these kinds of things. Analyzing people living life or the world around us. Or be one of the people who actually lives life

I chose the middle route. I like to think about it but its very rarely.., don't dwell on it or let it affect me negatively. If people are over thinking about it.., then they should stop

I think scientists live life, too.

They're just interested in how things are. 

Some people don't care how they are, as long as they're having fun. 

And then some tragedy strikes and they're all like...help...where are the scientists?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Podo
Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, ImaBelieber said:

You could either spend your lifetime being a scientist, who looks into these kinds of things. Analyzing people living life or the world around us. Or be one of the people who actually lives life

Taking action to more fully understand the universe is the closest thing to a divine purpose that we have. Who lives more thoroughly than she who discovers something that no human ever has?

Edited by Podo
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Alaric

I think the guy on the video is equating a point with meaning... they are not the same thing. I agree that any kind of meaning would have to be self determined. To be given a set, inescapable destiny by some outside power... that to me would be Hell. The Greek myth of Sisyphus comes to mind.

I believe that there are certain “lynchpin” moments, in which actions taken by an individual have the potential to significantly change the world around them for better or for worse. Not exactly a point, and there’s not necessarily some sort of consequence for missing “the point”... and neither is there only one point, but I do have faith (as I have no conclusive evidence) that these moments come in all of our lives and part of “the point” is how we conduct ourselves in those moments.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Alaric
Posted (edited)
On 1/24/2018 at 9:41 AM, seeder said:

so... is every other life pointless?   From the grass and plants, insects, trees, birds, fish and all animals?

It seems when we take 'people' out of the question... the meaning for all other life is.... that it exists....just because it CAN....

I think you have it there... Life, in and of itself, serves its own purpose.

Edit: It IS the point

Edited by Alaric

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Alaric

On the subject of suffering and trying to find something meaningful in it.

What if there was a guy who was tortured and killed... that would be bad right? I don’t think anyone would disagree.

If some poor guy was whipped and nailed to a tree to slowly die in agony, that would be horrible... but what if, specifically because of what had happened to that guy, a group of people realized how wrong that was and got together to form a society whose most basic rule was, “Treat others how you would want them to treat you”... and if, in a couple of thousand years, that society grew into the billions and helped countless people during that time... a society which never would have been formed otherwise... what then?

If some person with a pointy stick poked that poor guy while he was hanging there, poked him so hard that his side opened up and his blood poured out... that would be horrible right? But what if, in that moment of poking the guy with their stick, that person realized just how wrong it was to do that... and as a consequence, changed their life from that point onward... what then? What if that person told others, who told others, who told others... and they all changed their lives for the better as a consequence... what then?

It would certainly be a horrendous thing to be forced into the role of the sacrificial lamb, but what if it were done willingly... what then?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Relam
On 16. 07. 2018. at 1:51 PM, Imaginarynumber1 said:

Nope, it does not discriminate.  And it comes for us all. Often at inopportune times. 

So very many people die naked....

Death is sexist because number of men dying is higher than number of women..:D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.