Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Is it unusual to see a full ghost apparition?

StaceB

I'm sure that I've read before that ghosts won't usually show their full form as it uses up alot of their energy. However that is exactly what I experienced. I was about 21 & living at home still with my parents, sister & brother. It was the middle of summer (Scotland) & I was asleep in my bedroom when I woke up suddenly in the early hours of the morning with a strong feeling of being watched. It felt as if something had woken me. I was lying on my left side facing the door, too scared to open my eyes until logic took over & my inner voice told me 'there's nothing there, just open your eyes & look'. Well how wrong I was. I reluctantly had a peek & there was nothing there, feeling jeered on by this, I rolled over to my right side & thats when I saw her. I was instantly paralysed with fear & literally felt every single hair on my neck rise. There was an old lady, very small probably just over 4ft. Her grey hair pulled back severley into a tight bun on the top of her head. She was wearing an old fashioned black lace dress. But the worst part was she had a look of hatred on her face & was pointing at me, her hand was just inches from my face. I had a picture hanging on the wall next to her & I could see it straight through her head. I squeezed my eyes shut & told myself she wasn't there but when I opened them again she had not moved. Gradually she slowly faded away infront of me until she was gone. Finally able to move again, I checked the time & it was after 2am, then I hid under my covers till morning. I told my mum the next day about it & when I described her, my mum said it sounded exactly like the previous owner of our house who had since passed. I never knew her as I was only 3 when we moved there. True story & now I cannot deny that ghosts are real.

41 minutes ago, StaceB said:

I'm sure that I've read before that ghosts won't usually show their full form as it uses up alot of their energy. However that is exactly what I experienced. I was about 21 & living at home still with my parents, sister & brother. It was the middle of summer (Scotland) & I was asleep in my bedroom when I woke up suddenly in the early hours of the morning with a strong feeling of being watched. It felt as if something had woken me. I was lying on my left side facing the door, too scared to open my eyes until logic took over & my inner voice told me 'there's nothing there, just open your eyes & look'. Well how wrong I was. I reluctantly had a peek & there was nothing there, feeling jeered on by this, I rolled over to my right side & thats when I saw her. I was instantly paralysed with fear & literally felt every single hair on my neck rise. There was an old lady, very small probably just over 4ft. Her grey hair pulled back severley into a tight bun on the top of her head. She was wearing an old fashioned black lace dress. But the worst part was she had a look of hatred on her face & was pointing at me, her hand was just inches from my face. I had a picture hanging on the wall next to her & I could see it straight through her head. I squeezed my eyes shut & told myself she wasn't there but when I opened them again she had not moved. Gradually she slowly faded away infront of me until she was gone. Finally able to move again, I checked the time & it was after 2am, then I hid under my covers till morning. I told my mum the next day about it & when I described her, my mum said it sounded exactly like the previous owner of our house who had since passed. I never knew her as I was only 3 when we moved there. True story & now I cannot deny that ghosts are real.

Welcome to the board StaceB.   You sound like you experienced a classic case of sleep paralysis right down to seeing something in the room with you.  It is a well understood physical phenomenon and in many cases the person experiences the paralysis will see a being/person/alien/demon etc. in the room with them or actually siting on their chest. Not a peasant experience by any means.  Take a look at this short article and then do tour own google search and see if  it helps you understand what you experienced. 

https://www.livescience.com/56422-sleep-paralysis-different-cultures.html

https://www.webmd.com/sleep-disorders/features/sleep-paralysis-demon-in-the-bedroom#1

Edited by Merc14

Hi Merc14

It was not sleep paralysis. I have experienced sleep paralysis & know the difference. I can assure you I was fully awake. I also have never felt fear like that before & as I said apparently I described the previous house owner to a tee. She was see- through & very real. It was a genuine spirit and I think she wasn't happy to find me in her house on visitation. 

• Like 1

@StaceB  I listen to a lot of ghost stuff and I don’t believe full-body apparitions to be that rare

• Like 2

The first stage is an orb, then what I call a 'veil' (I'm sure there's a better word for it!), then a mass, a shadow, a partial apparition, then full body.

It does take a lot of energy for spirits to manifest.  That's why lamps dim, candles flicker, and the batteries in your ghost-hunting equipment go flat.

• Like 1

Full body apparitions are usually cases of mistaken identity involving people with a bad case of cosmetic malfunction ...

~

28 minutes ago, acute said:

The first stage is an orb, then what I call a 'veil' (I'm sure there's a better word for it!), then a mass, a shadow, a partial apparition, then full body.

It does take a lot of energy for spirits to manifest.  That's why lamps dim, candles flicker, and the batteries in your ghost-hunting equipment go flat.

That wouldn't explain why I saw my deceased neighbor outside in the middle of the day not anywhere near energy sources and I know what I saw was real, not sleep paralysis or a hallucination.

Not saying I have any or all the answers juat saying these " new" explanations have holes in the theories. 

I do believe that apparitions don't need electrical sources because our brains work on electricity for our nerve system and when was the last time you needed energy from a wall socket or lamp? 

Juat add another mystery to an already great mystery.

2 hours ago, StaceB said:

Hi Merc14

It was not sleep paralysis. I have experienced sleep paralysis & know the difference. I can assure you I was fully awake. I also have never felt fear like that before & as I said apparently I described the previous house owner to a tee. She was see- through & very real. It was a genuine spirit and I think she wasn't happy to find me in her house on visitation. 

Hmm, I'm sorry but in your post you said this

It was the middle of summer (Scotland) & I was asleep in my bedroom when I woke up suddenly in the early hours of the morning with a strong feeling of being watched.

So you were not fully awake, you asleep and in the process of waking up. This is exactly when sleep paralysis occurs.  All of the bolded are classic symptoms of SP and when it occurs and feeling fully awake is part of why SP is so scary.  You may have thought you were fully awake but you weren't.  

You are choosing to believe a supernatural event occurred while showing all of the symptoms of a classic SP event.  You are choosing to  say you experienced something that has never been proven to actually exist while denying a very simple and relatively common physical process but hey, enjoy the fantasy, just don't get too deep into it as it is just that, fantasy. 

Edited by Merc14
  • Like 1

Merc14 you can choose to believe whatever you want. I know what I experienced & the difference between dreams & reality. I have zero interest in you saying 'it was fantasy'. Maybe one day you will have a similar experience. How could I possibly describe someone exactly - that I don't know or have ever seen. You have free will to believe what you want. I know what I saw & the feelings associated with it. You do not. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, XenoFish said:

You see them because you want to see them, that doesn't mean what you're seeing is real.

He wants to see them?, so ghosts aren't real but telepathy is. I mean this is proof right here....amazing!

17 minutes ago, StaceB said:

Merc14 you can choose to believe whatever you want. I know what I experienced & the difference between dreams & reality. I have zero interest in you saying 'it was fantasy'. Maybe one day you will have a similar experience. How could I possibly describe someone exactly - that I don't know or have ever seen. You have free will to believe what you want. I know what I saw & the feelings associated with it. You do not. 

I am not trying to change your mind, I know that is not possible but I do want to point out the inconsistencies in your responses and illustrate how one must argue against one's own statements to make these fantastical beliefs work.  Simply making a point for others that may be getting sucked into this stuff but I have made my point and will leave you be.   

10 minutes ago, NightScreams said:

He wants to see them?, so ghosts aren't real but telepathy is. I mean this is proof right here....amazing!

Telepathy isn't real either. However self-induced auditory hallucinations are. 

3 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

Telepathy isn't real either. However self-induced auditory hallucinations are. 

But you knew he wanted to see them. That's telepathy, I mean surely you would never just make up your own conclusions as he did, right?

52 minutes ago, NightScreams said:

But you knew he wanted to see them. That's telepathy, I mean surely you would never just make up your own conclusions as he did, right?

Do you have an actual point you want to make? Ghost are not real, psychic abilities are not real, so nothing spooky has happened. 

23 hours ago, XenoFish said:

Do you have an actual point you want to make? Ghost are not real, psychic abilities are not real, so nothing spooky has happened. 

I thought I made it. You basically criticize someone jumping to conclusions by jumping to conclusions yourself while hiding behind your own cast logic of what exists and what doesn't. Anyone can say that anything not yet proven or disproven is not real. We have had mythical animals confirmed to exist this century, we have discovered subatomic particles that were once thought to not exist and skeptics and scoffers alike may have once told others on here years ago that Mars didn't have huge lakes of ice too.So to just say that something isn't real because *reasons doesn't make reality work any different and bias can lead to ignorance. You wouldn't have wanted to be one of those guys before 1902 that ignorantly thought the stories from random people about Gorilla's in the jungles are not real would you? How red face is that when they were confirmed thanks to those that had an open enough mind to seek study. If it were left to scoffers, then nothing would get confirmed.

So how do you know that the "many interacting worlds" theory isn't real? That could be one explanation of ghosts which means that the shadowy figures people see could be the result of the subtle force of repulsion, interacting on a quantum level between a close parallel universe and ours. The theory is sound and useful for planning experiments to test and exploit quantum phenomenon and while the idea of a shadow interaction into our world might not be your definition of what a ghost is, doesn't mean it doesn't exist. It just means you may not understand why it exists because you don't have knowledge of what it actually is or what causes it. There's more to our reality than just hallucinations ya know, otherwise we couldn't believe anything we see on any given day. 

What is real is the well known fact that matter does not behave in accordance with the universal laws we are familiar with. You can't fit everything in a neat tidy box just because it sounds layman logical because quantum mechanics is far from logical and any manifestation that causes bumps in the night are an interaction of quantum theory. It's hard for scientists to keep track of moving species let alone keep track of spontaneous phenomena which is why they say studying plants is easier.

The trapping stigma's of the paranormal are ridiculous, it's that fear that causes them to ridicule and dismiss what others experience. You don't have to be afraid of stigma, ridicule or even of being wrong. But you won't learn anything by just leaning on the arm of your chair and dictate to others, your meanderings rooted in irrational fears. Ghosts are something that should be proven or disproven because it's a foundation for understanding how reality works.

Edited by NightScreams
typo
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, NightScreams said:

I thought I made it. You basically criticize someone jumping to conclusions by jumping to conclusions yourself while hiding behind your own cast logic of what exists and what doesn't. Anyone can say that anything not yet proven or disproven is not real. We have had mythical animals confirmed to exist this century, we have discovered subatomic particles that were once thought to not exist and skeptics and scoffers alike may have once told others on here years ago that Mars didn't have huge lakes of ice too.So to just say that something isn't real because *reasons doesn't make reality work any different and bias can lead to ignorance. You wouldn't have wanted to be one of those guys before 1902 that ignorantly thought the stories from random people about Gorilla's in the jungles are not real would you? How red face is that when they were confirmed thanks to those that had an open enough mind to seek study. If it were left to scoffers, then nothing would get confirmed.

So how do you know that the "many interacting worlds" theory isn't real? That could be one explanation of ghosts which means that the shadowy figures people see could be the result of the subtle force of repulsion, interacting on a quantum level between a close parallel universe and ours. The theory is sound and useful for planning experiments to test and exploit quantum phenomenon and while the idea of a shadow interaction into our world might not be your definition of what a ghost is, doesn't mean it doesn't exist. It just means you may not understand why it exists because you don't have knowledge of what it actually is or what causes it. There's more to our reality than just hallucinations ya know, otherwise we couldn't believe anything we see on any given day. 

What is real is the well known fact that matter does not behave in accordance with the universal laws we are familiar with. You can't fit everything in a neat tidy box just because it sounds layman logical because quantum mechanics is far from logical and any manifestation that causes bumps in the night are an interaction of quantum theory. It's hard for scientists to keep track of moving species let alone keep track of spontaneous phenomena which is why they say studying plants is easier.

The trapping stigma's of the paranormal are ridiculous, it's that fear that causes them to ridicule and dismiss what others experience. You don't have to be afraid of stigma, ridicule or even of being wrong. But you won't learn anything by just leaning on the arm of your chair and dictate to others, your meanderings rooted in irrational fears. Ghosts are something that should be proven or disproven because it's a foundation for understanding how reality works.

Can I ask why you are using quantum physics to justify the paranormal?   What does one have to do with the other?   Are you saying Ican't run a controlled experiment to observe psychic abilities because it is unknowable but a clairvoyant can come into my home and read the future, no problem? 

• Like 3

On 17/01/2018 at 11:02 PM, StaceB said:

I agree with what you say and I believe what you saw was what you said it was. It's very true that it takes an experience to realise that what you are experiencing is not a dream, a hallucination or a fantasy. Something happens for no apparent reason and it can't be explained in logical terms. I have had more than one experience, all during the day, and I was completely alert, had slept well the previous nights and was not on any kind of medication.

Why only some of us have these experiences I don't know and I think that is the big question.

• Like 1

On ‎1‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 1:55 PM, StaceB said:

I think a lot of paranormal experiences are based on a person's sensitivity to the spirit or spirits presenting and that's why some see/hear them and some don't.   I believe your story and have had some experiences with the paranormal myself.   Although some can be explained by saying sleep paralysis, not all paranormal experiences can be.   If you are fully awake and not in bed then it can't be sleep paralysis when an event occurs.   And it was not because I wanted to hear or feel it when I heard a blood-curdling scream or felt a touch and no one else was anywhere nearby.

• Like 1