Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Apple to create 20K new jobs,

acidhead

The punchline here is that Apple did not actually say that it is investing any additional money in the U.S. because of the tax law. That idea appears nowhere in the press release.

(..)

And what else did we learn? Not a ton. The press release predicts that between its “current pace of spending with domestic suppliers and manufacturers—an estimated $55 billion for 2018—Apple’s direct contribution to the US economy will be more than $350 billion over the next five years.” In other words, Apple will keep buying stuff from other U.S. companies. This is not a patriotic act of charity. Apple is literally saying it will continue business as usual. That alone accounts for $275 billion of its $350 billion forecast.

Slate

• Like 1

There is a big stink going on up in Wisconsin over Foxconn.  Apparently the government wants to use eminent domain to seize private American property to give to Foxconn (Foreign company) as part of the incentive.  https://www.racinecountyeye.com/foxconn-eminent-domain/

I feel bad for them,  I would probably hate it too if the government took my house to give away (for free) to someone that wasn't even American.  Explains the suicide nets around their factory in China more, I guess.

(I know slight derail, but Foxconn makes screens for apple and was hyped for creating jobs so it jogged my memory)

• Like 2

11 hours ago, acidhead said:

Apple to create 20K new jobs, citing Trump’s tax reform

https://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/news/trump-apple-to-create-us-jobs-with

Link appears gone.

Here's the official Apple press release from yesterday.

https://www.apple.com/newsroom/2018/01/apple-accelerates-us-investment-and-job-creation/

I seen Tim Cook interviewed today. He absolutely attributed some of this to the Trump Tax Act. He said some of it was stuff they had already planned on but the Tax Act gave them incentive to do even more. 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, F3SS said:

I seen Tim Cook interviewed today. He absolutely attributed some of this to the Trump Tax Act. He said some of it was stuff they had already planned on but the Tax Act gave them incentive to do even more. 

Well yeah...  I remember Trump during the campaign trail interviews talking about tax laws and why the wealthy use off shore tax havens and how easily it could be changed to bring the money back to America.  He'd mention how that money is in other nations enriching those countries when it could be back in the USA and how many, probably including himself, would rather have that money back in America.  

• Like 3

1 minute ago, acidhead said:

Well yeah...  I remember Trump during the campaign trail interviews talking about tax laws and why the wealthy use off shore tax havens and how easily it could be changed to bring the money back to America.  He'd mention how that money is in other nations enriching those countries when it could be back in the USA and how many, probably including himself, would rather have that money back in America.  

I think this is why we haven't seen his tax returns... But wait for it.... Soon he'll release, like many who are well off, repatriate their wealth back to America... Paying the one time fee which Trump has said could be in the trillions... The. Guy is a genius.... No doubt.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, acidhead said:

I think this is why we haven't seen his tax returns... But wait for it.... Soon he'll release, like many who are well off, repatriate their wealth back to America... Paying the one time fee which Trump has said could be in the trillions... The. Guy is a genius.... No doubt.

That would be a dumb thing for him to do.  Passing legislation so you can personally avoid taxes on money and then showing it for the world to see?  If you are going to be corrupt and use the office of the President for personal profit, you should at least have the sense to be discrete about it. 

• Like 1

Just now, Gromdor said:

That would be a dumb thing for him to do.  Passing legislation so you can personally avoid taxes on money and then showing it for the world to see?  If you are going to be corrupt and use the office of the President for personal profit, you should at least have the sense to be discrete about it. 

There is nothing illegal about previous tax laws and new tax laws.  You should applaud this because it brings the money back and it's taxed.

• Like 3

Just now, acidhead said:

There is nothing illegal about previous tax laws and new tax laws.  You should applaud this because it brings the money back and it's taxed.

Corruption isn't illegal because it is usually done by those that make the laws.....

Just now, Gromdor said:

Corruption isn't illegal because it is usually done by those that make the laws.....

It's not corruption.  It's tax law.  I've read what you have written about your own personal experience in this new tax reform and I'll tell you what I tell everyone who is employed by an employer but hasn't made the step towards self employment.   Just do it.  Don't wait.  Become self employed tomorrow and take advantage of the tax write-offs you now don't get.  It's not difficult.  Be your own boss and subcontract off your employer.  It's not difficult to do.

• Like 2

No one ever got a job or a paycheck from a poor person or a company that went out of business because of high taxes and regulations that strangled the economy. But some people enjoy beating that same horse even though they killed it already. 

I wish I was super wealthy but I'm not. Do I despise the super wealthy? Not if they worked for it or invented something. They earned it. 

Politicians have no business getting wealthy off tax payers by being in office for decades but that's another story.

Last, one person that is super wealthy that I admire is Warren Buffet. He earned his wealth by investing in stock. Amd to this day that man will eat at McDonald's and buy his favorite soda which is Coca-Cola (his biggest investment) and he lives in the same house he bought for very little back 40 or 50 years ago.

All you "wealthy" haters understand this, not everyone that is wealthy is a liar or criminal. You'll find that maybe by listening to a few, you'll learn something to make your own lives better off financially.

I know I have. But that's just me. 

• Like 3

10 hours ago, acidhead said:

Just do it.  Don't wait.  Become self employed tomorrow and take advantage of the tax write-offs you now don't get.  It's not difficult.  Be your own boss and subcontract off your employer.  It's not difficult to do.

I just bought a domain and a website yesterday to begin building my home business after putting if off for almost a year. I agree with you - take advantage of the opportunities we have here in the West. You will become as successful as the work you put in to it.

See: a contingent of self-made billionaires.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, acidhead said:

It's not corruption.  It's tax law.  I've read what you have written about your own personal experience in this new tax reform and I'll tell you what I tell everyone who is employed by an employer but hasn't made the step towards self employment.   Just do it.  Don't wait.  Become self employed tomorrow and take advantage of the tax write-offs you now don't get.  It's not difficult.  Be your own boss and subcontract off your employer.  It's not difficult to do.

Construction companies around here hired their employees as subcontractors before and cause a pretty bad negative impression with the larger powerplants/refineries.  Some refuse to use companies that operate with subcontractors in an atypical fashion.  (Illegal immigrants were hired as "subcontractors" to skirt employee verification and non-skilled/untrained personnel were hired to skirt customer mandated safety and training requirements.  They got caught and the hiring company feigned ignorance and pawned responsibility off on the individual "sub contractors".)

Looking past the smoke and mirrors ...

~

No, Apple is not creating 20,000 jobs because of the tax bill

2 days ago - That brings us to the separate question of whether this spending has anything at all to do with Trump's tax bill. The answer is almost surely not. Apple has long paid an extremely low tax rate, and it is only really bringing its overseas profits “home” on paper. In reality, the company has always been able to ...

~

Apple: GOP Tax Bill Is Victory, But Patents Remain a Snag | Fortune

fortune.com › Tech › Apple

Dec 20, 2017 - The U.S. Republican tax overhaul passed by Congress this week will allow Apple to bring back its $252.3 billion foreign cash pile without a major tax hit – a long-standing company goal. Other provisions of the bill, namely the cut in the corporate tax rate from 35% to 21%, are also a big boon for Apple.

~

2 minutes ago, third_eye said:

Looking past the smoke and mirrors ...

You just can't give "Sparky" any credit.

Can you?

Ever....

• Like 3

Just now, .ZZ. said:

Can you?

Ever....

Of course I can ... its just not the kind of credit you welcomes ... it is for what it is ... Sparky fiddled with the definitions ... and his acolytes are pleased ... that is all that matters ...

~

1 minute ago, third_eye said:

Of course I can ... its just not the kind of credit you welcomes ... it is for what it is ... Sparky fiddled with the definitions ... and his acolytes are pleased ... that is all that matters ...

~

Here's your chance to say some good about Trump__________________

You're right, I AM pleased.

• Like 2

Just now, .ZZ. said:

Here's your chance to say some good about Trump__________________

You're right, I AM pleased.

All good and well ... its that self same Tramecksan and Slamecksan back and forth ...

~

why was there enemity between tramecksan and slamecksan? what was ...

www.gradesaver.com/.../why-was-there-enemity-between-tramecksan-and-slamecksan...

Sep 15, 2013 - He describes two parties of Lilliput, the Tramecksan and Slamecksan, who are distinguished by the high and low heels of their shoes. ... Redresal and the Lilliputians also have to worry about the threat of invasion from those living on the Island of Blefuscu, "which is the other great Empire of the Universe.

~

Gulliver's Travels Swift Swift and European society | Micaela Mae

Dec 19, 2013 - ... allusions to European society through the argument between the Tramecksan and the Slamecksan. The two parties are distinguished by the size of their heels (42). Gulliver claims that “the animosities between these two parties run so high, that they will neither eat nor drink, nor talk with each other,” as a ...

~

;)

~

... the big and small ends ...

~

IDLEMINDSET | BIG ENDERS, SMALL ENDERS | Ayo Sogunro

Jun 5, 2013 - And this brings us to the story of Lilliput (and Blefuscu–which is unimportant) and the issue of the Lilliputian Big-Enders and Small-Enders. These names would sound familiar to those of you who actually sat up to listen to the boring drone of that damned literature teacher (we will pray for your wasted ...

~

~

Sparky probably knows not everybody knows ...

~

Three-component theory of stratification - Wikipedia

The three-component theory of stratification, more widely known as Weberian stratification or the three class system, was developed by German sociologist Max Weber with class, status and power as distinct ideal types.

~

~

“The state is seen as the sole grantor of the 'right' to physical force. Therefore, 'politics' in our case would mean the pursuit for a portion of power or for influencing the division of power whether it is between states, or between groups of people which the state encompasses.”.[1]

~

• Politics as a Vocation Link

~
Make hay while the sun shines eh ?

:lol:

9 hours ago, Gromdor said:

Construction companies around here hired their employees as subcontractors before and cause a pretty bad negative impression with the larger powerplants/refineries.  Some refuse to use companies that operate with subcontractors in an atypical fashion.  (Illegal immigrants were hired as "subcontractors" to skirt employee verification and non-skilled/untrained personnel were hired to skirt customer mandated safety and training requirements.  They got caught and the hiring company feigned ignorance and pawned responsibility off on the individual "sub contractors".)

That's the type of corruption that should be dealt with harshly. Too often it isn't. We had similar stuff going on here in metro Detroit with a towing company caught bribing city council for exclusive city work. I hate labor corruption as much as government corruption.

As for the illegals getting hired undocumented, if law enforcement and the states did their job and followed the laws it would never happen. But too many want cheap labor (cough democrats cough). It was never, they do work no one else wants, its that they work for an hourly wage no American would accept because we have wage laws to protect us. 

3 hours ago, Sooth Sayer said:

That's the type of corruption that should be dealt with harshly. Too often it isn't. We had similar stuff going on here in metro Detroit with a towing company caught bribing city council for exclusive city work. I hate labor corruption as much as government corruption.

As for the illegals getting hired undocumented, if law enforcement and the states did their job and followed the laws it would never happen. But too many want cheap labor (cough democrats cough). It was never, they do work no one else wants, its that they work for an hourly wage no American would accept because we have wage laws to protect us. 

Sadly, it isn't viewed as corruption but rather being "smart" and using the laws to your advantage by people around here and even on this forum.  They still do it for smaller projects where the customer doesn't care but the big corporate companies don't like it because it tarnishes their image. 

37 minutes ago, Gromdor said:

Sadly, it isn't viewed as corruption but rather being "smart" and using the laws to your advantage by people around here and even on this forum.  They still do it for smaller projects where the customer doesn't care but the big corporate companies don't like it because it tarnishes their image. 

I agree. Here in Michigan, food delivery companies are trying (I stress the trying part) to enjoy the "new and improved" wage law for those that deliver food (whom also depend on tips to pay bills). 

It use to be $8 or $9 an hour to deliver, now it's $5.00 an hour. Oh, but if you work real hard you can "earn" $11.00 an hour. And then you better claim your tips which will be taxed bringing you back to $5.00 so guess what, no one wants to do that work. 

Look in the want ads, same 20 companies, can't find people to sign up. 

When I delivered pizza 14 years ago, I was making $700 a week with hourly and tips. Cut that down to $200 a week it's not worth it but hey, those companies are just taking advantage of the new law. 

Emphasis on the "taking advantage" part because that's what it is. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, .ZZ. said:

Can you?

Ever....

It's hard...we see this cute little report, but he has yet to acknowledge that the job growth in the past year was the lowest since 2011...

• Like 1

Apple Inc got a free pass and looked good getting it ... while Sparky got the publicity Op and pats on the back ... win win ... except those poor sods that had been paying the taxes like good little Americans they are all this while ...

~