Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Columbus Statues Splattered with Red Paint

Piney

The "Sons of Italy" and other Italian American organizations have been fighting tooth and nail to keep them up. Now they're vandal targets.:lol:

I mean seriously, He's  "Adolf Hitler" to my ethnic group. :mellow:

http://www.nj.com/mercer/index.ssf/2018/01/christopher_columbus_statues_across_the_state_spla.html#incart_most-commented_south

• Like 4

I would call him more just a man of his time. He did what basically everyone did when discovering another half of the world. 

I see columbus celebrations more ad celebrating the merging of world's which started the events to the creation of the country 

5 minutes ago, spartan max2 said:

I would call him more just a man of his time.

I call him a thief and murderer. He was actually on a "crusade" to capture Asian countries. Not trade with them. That's why he flew the Crusader Cross on his sails.

Edited by Piney
typo- need coffee
  • Like 6

4 minutes ago, Piney said:

I call him a thief and murderer. He was actually on a "crusade" to capture Asian countries. Not trade with them. That's why he flew the Crusader Cross on his sails.

Here's some food for thought, but without all the horrors of the past. Not a single one of us would be here. It's a very large causal chain of events that lead up to everything we have now and all that'll we'll have in the future. (gotta be careful, that seems to optimistic)

• Like 5

Just now, XenoFish said:

Here's some food for thought, but without all the horrors of the past. Not a single one of us would be here. It's a very large causal chain of events that lead up to everything we have now and all that'll we'll have in the future. (gotta be careful, that seems to optimistic)

WTF? :blink: OPTIMISM FROM YOU???     :lol:

• Like 4

Well that's unfortunate. Not because it's Columbus- who the statue is of is fairly moot to me. But rather unfortunate due to the vandalism- that this seems to be an acceptable thing to do to in some peoples minds. Someone took a lot of time and effort to make those, and even if it's objectionable history, it still is history. We humans have a bad habit of destroying our history then bemoaning losing or history and then repeating it.

• Like 7

4 hours ago, Piney said:

I mean seriously, He's  "Adolf Hitler" to my ethnic group. :mellow:

I can understand your viewpoint and that certain people in history can be viewed quite differently.

Take Oliver Cromwell, well thought of in England but despised as a mass murderer - in Ireland. 

It brings to mind a tale - in which the walkout is probably a fabrication but the story captures the essence of the difference in opinion between the peoples: involving a painting of Cromwell, the UK Foreign Minister and the PM of Ireland. here

Edited by RAyMO
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, RAyMO said:

I can understand your viewpoint and that certain people in history can be viewed quite differently.

Take Oliver Cromwell, well thought of in England but despised as a mass murderer - in Ireland. 

It brings to mind a tale - in which the walkout is probably a fabrication but the story captures the essence of the difference in opinion between the peoples: involving a painting of Cromwell, the UK Foreign Minister and the PM of Ireland. here

I'm not one of those haters begging for reparations or apologies but I don't think we should celebrate genocide either and I always thought of Cromwell as a murderer and my mother was Anglo-Norman from Yorkshire. My ancestor John Fenwick's cavalry troop stood guard at Charles I's execution but he regretted his actions.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Piney said:

I'm not one of those haters begging for reparations or apologies but I don't think we should celebrate genocide either and I always thought of Cromwell as a murderer and my mother was Anglo-Norman from Yorkshire. My ancestor John Fenwick's cavalry troop stood guard at Charles I's execution but he regretted his actions.

I did some research on my European side, and I saw a few Cromwells in the settler communities. I felt my hair turn white when it looked like one of them married into one of my familial lines, but I breathed a sigh of relief when I found out that they didn't. :lol:

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Paranormal Panther said:

I did some research on my European side, and I saw a few Cromwells in the settler communities. I felt my hair turn white when it looked like one of them married into one of my familial lines, but I breathed a sigh of relief when I found out that they didn't. :lol:

John Fenwick's ancestor was Sir Fenwick who killed William Wallace's father in single combat. The irony that went past Mel Gibson was Fenwick was fighting for the Scots and Wallace was fighting for Edward I.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Piney said:

John Fenwick's ancestor was Sir Fenwick who killed William Wallace's father in single combat. The irony that went past Mel Gibson was Fenwick was fighting for the Scots and Wallace was fighting for Edward I.

They switched sides a lot in those days. It was wise to avoid dinner invitations back then.

• Like 2

Just now, Paranormal Panther said:

They switched sides a lot in those days. It was wise to avoid dinner invitations back then.

The Fenwicks were Reivers and Border Lords. They were all about themselves and profit from looting. Lord Burghley wrote to Queen Bess I that you couldn't trust us for anything and we were caught by him leaning on our weapons and talking to the Scots we were suppose to fight........NO PRINCE BUT A PERCY!  HARRY HOTSPUR FOR KING!

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Piney said:

The Fenwicks were Reivers and Border Lords. They were all about themselves and profit from looting. Lord Burghley wrote to Queen Bess I that you couldn't trust us for anything and we were caught by him leaning on our weapons and talking to the Scots we were suppose to fight........NO PRINCE BUT A PERCY!  HARRY HOTSPUR FOR KING!

They were like our outlaws and rustlers. The word, "blackmail", came from them. A priest excommunicated whole border clans because they were so lawless. I found some of their last names in my family tree, but I might not be descended from them.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Paranormal Panther said:

Cromwell’s dayghter married an ancestor of mine - IIRC it was the same ancestor who is the only one of Cromwell’s revolutionaries to still be buried in Westminster.

• Like 2

Finding new land to conquer and colonizing it never ended well in history... whatever the ethnic group doing it, it end with one side getting stolen or the worse a bloodbath... Different north american nation were murdering each other before European came and different European nation were murdering each other before they left to go to america.

You know i can be angry that some sultan got my grand grand grand grand grand sibling raped and enslaved from Europe during the Ottoman Empire conquer or be p***ed off that Britain kicked the french bad in east Canada or just that a prehistoric frog killed my grand grand grand x1000000 father when he was swimming in a pool 250 000 millions years ago looking for a fly to eat.... 

Columbus and other conquistadors have done what human do when meeting with others who have stuff they want, they steal rage war and murder. It is happening right now but we call it oversea politics, power projection and national interest. Things need to settle down someday but the need of equal right is essential for it. 

Edited by Jon the frog
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

Cromwell’s dayghter married an ancestor of mine - IIRC it was the same ancestor who is the only one of Cromwell’s revolutionaries to still be buried in Westminster.

It must seem strange, in a certain manner, if you also have Irish forebears who fought for the Stuart kings. It's a bit like if you descend from Highland clans with bitter feuds. You hope that your Campbells and Frasers weren't involved in this atrocity. You pray that your McDonalds weren't a part of that crime.

17 minutes ago, Paranormal Panther said:

It must seem strange, in a certain manner, if you also have Irish forebears who fought for the Stuart kings. It's a bit like if you descend from Highland clans with bitter feuds. You hope that your Campbells and Frasers weren't involved in this atrocity. You pray that your McDonalds weren't a part of that crime.

Ohh I have family who helped found the IRA. 

16 minutes ago, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

Ohh I have family who helped found the IRA. 

That's what I'm talking about. It's a "Chelsea Handler".

13 minutes ago, seanjo said:

I had to teach my (ex) wife how to do under car searches for IED's because of the Marxist IRA, I had to plan an escape route at traffic lights in Zeebrugge because of the murdering scumbag IRA...are you proud of the ineffectual murdering b*******?

**** no. I just find it amusing that there are both Terrorists and members of the House of Lords within a few branches of my family tree.

17 hours ago, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

**** no. I just find it amusing that there are both Terrorists and members of the House of Lords within a few branches of my family tree.

I should explain what "Chelsea Handler" means. If you don't know, she's an American celebrity who's half Jewish, and her grandpa was a Nazi during World War II.

Columbus definitely helped shape history but he was basically a standard conqueror, or at least as much of one a man could be without having an army.  He helped to send an entire people(the Lucayans if I remember right) into extinction.

He's an important historical figure, but doesn't deserve to be praised without acknowledging the bad things he did as well.

• Like 3

Didn't Leif Erickson land in the Americas before Columbus?

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Hawkin said:

Didn't Leif Erickson land in the Americas before Columbus?

Yup. Norse were visiting n America for five hundred years give or take. Merchants. Kings. Holy men etc all knew there was land across the ocean. They didn't just realize how big said land truly was lol. 

• Like 3