Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Was Technology in the Past Greater Today's?

Aquila King

17 minutes ago, Swede said:

Your point is well taken. Yes, technical literature can be quite dry. Much of this can be attributed to the rather rigorous style formats that are considered to be professionally acceptable. That said, professional communities are aware of the communications problem as it relates to the general public. Several years ago there were even proposals to establish a new major based upon developing writers who specialized in working with such material. The proposed major would have a two-part outcome: Speeding up the production of technical literature (which is perpetually behind schedule) and providing more lay-oriented distillations.

To my knowledge, no programs of this nature have yet been developed. Once again, possibly time and finance related. Starting a new university program is quite a major undertaking and the entire process can take years.

I don't think that for anyone with a sincere desire to learn that there is a barrier. It is no different than learning a new language and because of posters such as yourself created an interest and excitement for me in learning. Thanks

jmccr8 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Swede said:

Yes, good additions. Note: Glacial Lake Iroquois drained to the southeast. The headwaters of the Mississippi actually changed a number of times during the period under consideration. The initial headwaters was the Leaf River. Later, there was a shift to the St.Louis River and lastly an approximation of its current path. Isostatic rebound, downcutting, etc.

In regards to the glacial wasting, the relatively recent work by Dyke, et al is most well done, with good methodology and an impressive metadata base. Not sure if you have this one. If not, the file can be downloaded below. It would be suggested that you download the second (lower) file as it contains finer increments in the timeline. You may also wish to print out the mapping as most computer monitors appear to lack in the desired resolution.

https://geoscan.nrcan.gc.ca/starweb/geoscan/servlet.starweb?path=geoscan/downloade.web&search1=R=214399

The below contains much of the same material (map wise) but also includes some discussion of the glacial lake outflows, including Glacial Lake Iroquois.

https://www.lakeheadu.ca/sites/default/files/uploads/53/outlines/2014-15/NECU5311/Dyke_2004_DeglaciationOutline.pdf

Enjoy!

Thanks bro! My library was destroyed while I was in prison and I'm working from a stroke affected memory. I'm not downloading anything though because I'm on a 12 year old Toshiba laptop I use for mechanical diagnostics and she is on her way out.

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, Swede said:

Your point is well taken. Yes, technical literature can be quite dry. Much of this can be attributed to the rather rigorous style formats that are considered to be professionally acceptable. That said, professional communities are aware of the communications problem as it relates to the general public. Several years ago there were even proposals to establish a new major based upon developing writers who specialized in working with such material. The proposed major would have a two-part outcome: Speeding up the production of technical literature (which is perpetually behind schedule) and providing more lay-oriented distillations.

To my knowledge, no programs of this nature have yet been developed. Once again, possibly time and finance related. Starting a new university program is quite a major undertaking and the entire process can take years.

I think that communication with the general public is not the main goal of technical research articles. That being said, I also think technicality and dryness are not intrinsically related - scientists can do better about making their articles more readable even to their own peers. It is possible to write papers that are both technically sound and flow well, but, as you know, it is a skill. One that is not emphasized as much as it should be.

Interesting idea about the specialized writing major. Not a bad idea; one can always tell if a journalist has a good grasp of both the technical aspects and the writing aspects of their craft in more broad appeal science stories. See, for example, the (slightly dated) works of John McPhee for fantastically written pieces that still do some justice to the science.

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, Socks Junior said:

John McPhee for fantastically written pieces that still do some justice to the science.

He did some fantastic work on the Pine Barrens of New Jersey but Jimmy Leek and Charlie Cooper filled him with bull****.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Piney said:

He did some fantastic work on the Pine Barrens of New Jersey but Jimmy Leek and Charlie Cooper filled him with bull****.

Haven't read that one, but I'll have to add it to my McPhee collection at some point. I see that's where your name comes from!

42 minutes ago, Piney said:

Yep. An excellent book. A little dated in some ways but still one of the best-written and most approachable introductions to geology I've ever read.

• Like 1

Just now, Socks Junior said:

Haven't read that one, but I'll have to add it to my McPhee collection at some point. I see that's where your name comes from!

My screen name is what people outside of New Jersey call me in real-time. It was given to me in Nebraska by a Amish ranch hand and then picked up by the Indian ranch hands I ran with. The irony of it is my Indian Name is "Cuuwewii" which means "Stunted or Scrubby Pine".

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Swede said:

I would humbly suggest altering standard public school curriculums so that by the time a student graduates from high school they have an understanding of the formats and terminology in such papers. If the goal of public education is to prepare a student for life then such endeavors would hold merit. Trades and manufacturing are becoming increasingly technical in nature ensuring that the person will be able to understand necessary publications such as msds sheets, operator manuals, manufacturing spec sheets and such seems a prudent undertaking for the benefit of society.

University programs to cater toward a more colorfully written academic article is beneficial as a stop/gap measure or to increase interest in STEM fields with younger children.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, jmccr8 said:

I don't think that for anyone with a sincere desire to learn that there is a barrier. It is no different than learning a new language and because of posters such as yourself created an interest and excitement for me in learning. Thanks

jmccr8 

Technical literature does tend to utilize field-specific terminologies, but would certainly agree that this should not be a barrier. None of us are born with Webster's Collegiate embedded in our brains and anyone pursuing a particular realm will invariably need to incorporate the terminologies associated with that realm. And thank you for your kind words. It is gratifying to know that my contributions may have, in some small way, provided you with inspiration.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Piney said:

Thanks bro! My library was destroyed while I was in prison and I'm working from a stroke affected memory. I'm not downloading anything though because I'm on a 12 year old Toshiba laptop I use for mechanical diagnostics and she is on her way out.

Glad to assist. Most sorry to learn of your library situation. Disheartening to say the least. Should there be any material within my means to forward your way, do not hesitate to request such. As to the download, the URL should be rather stable. Saving the bookmark would likely suffice for the time being.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Socks Junior said:

I think that communication with the general public is not the main goal of technical research articles. That being said, I also think technicality and dryness are not intrinsically related - scientists can do better about making their articles more readable even to their own peers. It is possible to write papers that are both technically sound and flow well, but, as you know, it is a skill. One that is not emphasized as much as it should be.

Interesting idea about the specialized writing major. Not a bad idea; one can always tell if a journalist has a good grasp of both the technical aspects and the writing aspects of their craft in more broad appeal science stories. See, for example, the (slightly dated) works of John McPhee for fantastically written pieces that still do some justice to the science.

Yes, would agree. Most of those involved in this range of literature are purely technical writers, myself included. There are, of course, individuals with a natural flair for less clinical structuring. Sagan comes to mind, as does one prominent archaeologist with an almost folksy style.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Jarocal said:

I would humbly suggest altering standard public school curriculums so that by the time a student graduates from high school they have an understanding of the formats and terminology in such papers. If the goal of public education is to prepare a student for life then such endeavors would hold merit. Trades and manufacturing are becoming increasingly technical in nature ensuring that the person will be able to understand necessary publications such as msds sheets, operator manuals, manufacturing spec sheets and such seems a prudent undertaking for the benefit of society.

University programs to cater toward a more colorfully written academic article is beneficial as a stop/gap measure or to increase interest in STEM fields with younger children.

Oh that the current public school systems were so oriented. Unfortunately, many cannot even produce moderately literate students. You would be shocked to read some of the college freshman "work". However, you are quite correct. The demand for competent writers will likely continue to trend upward and the ability to stimulate fledgling professionals in any field would be a boon to future generations. It would be interesting to assess various curriculums in this light.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Swede said:

Glad to assist. Most sorry to learn of your library situation. Disheartening to say the least. Should there be any material within my means to forward your way, do not hesitate to request such. As to the download, the URL should be rather stable. Saving the bookmark would likely suffice for the time being.

Having a friend build me up something with a lot of storage then I'm going to start gathering again. I don't have any room for books but a lot of what I lost in on disk or online.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Piney said:

Having a friend build me up something with a lot of storage then I'm going to start gathering again. I don't have any room for books but a lot of what I lost in on disk or online.

I now try to utilize free cloud storage accounts and an "on sale at Wal-Mart" 10.1" Galaxy tablet. When something requires printing I usually hit a staples/office depot if it is over 25 pages. If it is small I just use the printer at work.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Swede said:

Oh that the current public school systems were so oriented. Unfortunately, many cannot even produce moderately literate students. You would be shocked to read some of the college freshman "work". However, you are quite correct. The demand for competent writers will likely continue to trend upward and the ability to stimulate fledgling professionals in any field would be a boon to future generations. It would be interesting to assess various curriculums in this light.

Without digressing too far, I would point out not all of the blame can be placed on public school systems. They can only provide the framework and resources for a student to learn. Home and social influences can be the largest hurdle in many cases.

Now back to fringe being more popular than Academia's offerings. Why add a major? Simply make it part of the journalism and Lit students assignments. That would give a bevy of article's written and the best one for each technical paper gets published quarterly in a university based E-zine. It is not like the university does not already have licenses for the appropriate software to publish such material and storage would be relatively modest. 

30 minutes ago, Jarocal said:

I now try to utilize free cloud storage accounts and an "on sale at Wal-Mart" 10.1" Galaxy tablet. When something requires printing I usually hit a staples/office depot if it is over 25 pages. If it is small I just use the printer at work.

I drag a camper around and I'm "anti-clutter". It's easier to borrow a book and return it. 

Just now, Piney said:

I drag a camper around and I'm "anti-clutter". It's easier to borrow a book and return it. 

and I have satellite uplink capabilities and a onboard CPU ( AKA Eddie, my shipboard computer who I'm always fighting with about my HVAC systems on said Toshiba)

34 minutes ago, Jarocal said:

I have bought 2 terabyte external hard drives at a sexing hand electronics store for $20.00 each so I keep a lot on the now.

jmccr8 

23 minutes ago, jmccr8 said:

I have bought 2 terabyte external hard drives at a sexing hand electronics store for $20.00 each so I keep a lot on the now.

jmccr8 

:wacko:

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, jmccr8 said:

jmccr8 

second hand?......... or are you a Teamster

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Socks Junior said:

As someone with no academic background, most of the technical papers I've had access to don't just seem dense and dry, but almost intentionally obtuse. 

I see this is in some of the writing for a public audience as well, even writers that ostensibly are writing for public consumption are still geared to the expectation of them being read by people who have a deep familiarity with terms. 

For myself, I have maybe an hour or two at a time at the end of a long shift of work to read. It isn't impossible. But to make sense of it, even with the benefit of my long stay on these forums, require a bit more cross referencing than have time for. 

• Like 3

I have to say I don't know if the current publishing model will really support solid science writers on news papers. The work I think will have to be done by the scientists to prepare something easily digestable for the copy a paste news reporting we see these days. 

Something, which I think should be noted, the fringe has actually been very good about doing. I can only think of a couple of more science based bodies that do it. 

3 minutes ago, ShadowSot said:

almost intentionally obtuse. 

Like some of the fringe theorists with no academic background.......

Some of the more small minded archaeologists I have dealt with are intentionally obtuse. Other archaeologists have told me it was because they were stupid.

• Like 1

On 1/21/2018 at 7:28 PM, Swede said:

At the extreme ends, one can only imagine the impacts of the repeated breachings of Glacial Lake Missoula .

If you follow the path of Missoula's breachings and compare it to linguistic maps you'll notice that is where the Algic language split is with Algonquian on one side and Yurok-Wiyot on the other and catastrophic flooding would explain such a large geographic distance between the two.

• Like 1

• The topic was locked
  • The topic was unlocked