Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

How has technology affected our attention?

TellLieVision

I was wondering if  somebody could point me in the right direction as far as articles, theories -- or even your own opinion -- concerning the impact computers and the internet have had on how we remember things, store things in our memory, etc.

I remember reading something on how reading from the screen was not as effective as reading from the paper; the commentary went on to prove it from a scientific standpoint, etc.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

asking google will be more productive...  IMO

• Like 2

Well, thanks. It was not laziness, just I thought since this is a forum, people would pop in with some discussion or authors in mind. That's all.

• Like 4

Well, one thing I have noticed is that focus on screens has limited our awareness to peripheral events in our environment.  That goes for using a desktop monitor or a phone.  Concentration is fixed on a very limited area.

• Like 4

On 20/01/2018 at 5:41 AM, TellLieVision said:

concerning the impact computers and the internet have had on how we remember things, store things in our memory, etc.

Atamarie Sir or Ma'am,

I'm no Scientist, Or Author, but I do have an Opinion..

Computers, Internet, are Just Tools used by us, like now, in communication and Information..

The Brain is the Best Computer you will ever have..The Mind, The Database.. 

The Impact is, We become a bit reliant on the Internet's, information, and sometimes we actually believe what is being Sold Wholesale to us..

We need, to Think For Ourself...

And Trust in our Instincts...

Television, Media even Music, is just...... ENTERTAINMENT...

TAIN means the Hold. MENTE is The Mind.

ENTER THE HOLD ON THE MIND..!!

I like a little Distraction, but too much and your locked into the World of their Creation..

Peace to you Friend..

Mo..xx

• Like 7

4 minutes ago, Tatetopa said:

Well said.

Atamarie Friend xx

Thankyou...!!!

Peace to you and yours..

Mo..xx

• Like 1

12 hours ago, MauriOra said:

We need, to Think For Ourself...

Exactly!

Because we are the only Gods ......

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, LightAngel said:

Exactly!

Because we are the only Gods ......

Yes..!!!!

We Most Certainly Are..!!

Hi, Miss Light Angel..

Hope you are well...xx

Mo..xx

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, MauriOra said:

Yes..!!!!

We Most Certainly Are..!!

Hi, Miss Light Angel..

Hope you are well...xx

Mo..xx

Yes, my dear friend ;)

I'm very well..... and so are you I can see :P

We need a song: 

;)

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, LightAngel said:

Yes, my dear friend ;)

We need a song: 

;)

Awwwwwwww!!!

You are Awesomeness Unveiled..

Let's All Shine On..!!!!!

I Am Well, thankyou....

So Cool.....very very Cool..

You always have the Coolest Songs...

I Love That..!!!

Keep Shining Miss Light Angel..xx

Arohanuikiakoe..

Mo..xx

• Like 2

2 hours ago, MauriOra said:

You always have the Coolest Songs...

That's because I'm the coolest Angel  :D

More magic for you:

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, LightAngel said:

That's because I'm the coolest Angel  :D

More magic for you:

Awww,

You ....Are the Coolest Angel..!!!

I Absolutely Agree....!!!

Thankyou Miss Angel of Light..

I Love The M A G I C...

.. And the Words Are So True..

LIFE IS WHAT YOU MAKE OF IT!!

Let's Make it A Great One..xx

With Our Heads Held High, and A Bright Shining Smile..xx

A Smile is Free.. Let's share Our Smiles.. And you can Guarantee, You'll get A Smile Back...

Thankyou My Beautiful Friend..

You Rock Girl..!!!

Mo..xx

• Like 2

On 1/19/2018 at 10:41 AM, TellLieVision said:

I was wondering if  somebody could point me in the right direction as far as articles, theories -- or even your own opinion -- concerning the impact computers and the internet have had on how we remember things, store things in our memory, etc.

I remember reading something on how reading from the screen was not as effective as reading from the paper; the commentary went on to prove it from a scientific standpoint, etc.

I have no idea what studies have been done.   But, generally speaking, it makes sense that reading from 'paper' is different from reading on screen.  If you have something on paper in front of you...that is what you have.  I.e., you don't have anything else  distracting your focus, like...pop ups...ads....and the like.   Also, you can read it over and over...and it never mysteriously 'goes away' so that you have to find it again in order to keep reading.  And, we live in a push button society.  Tech is all about push button.  Consequently, our attention scan has been modified to exactly that...Scan!  Paper draws one in to a more comprehensive read...The Screen begs for more of a ...scan and move on...type of read.

• Like 2

heres a way tech has affected us....and I can say without doubt, I rarely get tired when the laptop is open...

In the modern age of technology it is not uncommon to come home after a long day at work or school and blow off steam by reading an e-book or watching television. Lately, however, scientists have been cautioning against using light-emitting devices before bed. Why? The light from our devices is “short-wavelength-enriched,” meaning it has a higher concentration of blue light than natural light—and blue light affects levels of the sleep-inducing hormone melatonin more than any other wavelength.

Changes in sleep patterns can in turn shift the body’s natural clock, known as its circadian rhythm. Recent studies have shown that shifts in this clock can have devastating health effects because it controls not only our wakefulness but also individual clocks that dictate function in the body’s organs. In other words, stressors that affect our circadian clocks, such as blue-light exposure, can have much more serious consequences than originally thought.

To discuss the growing concern Scientific American MIND consulted with Thomas Jefferson University neuroscientist George Brainard, who was among the first researchers to investigate how different wavelengths of light affect the release of melatonin, and Harvard University neuroscientist Anne-Marie Chang, who recently discovered that the effects of light-emitting devices on circadian systems extend beyond evening and into the following morning.
https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/q-a-why-is-blue-light-before-bedtime-bad-for-sleep/

• Like 3

7 hours ago, LightAngel said:

Yes, my dear friend ;)

We need a song: 

;)

Great song!:tsu:

• Like 1

On ‎1‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 7:41 PM, TellLieVision said:

Well I don't think all these computer screens are good for our eyes. We have screens practically everywhere now.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Truthseeker007 said:

Well I don't think all these computer screens are good for our eyes. We have screens practically everywhere now.

It's not that they aren't good for our eyes, it's more that we don't have good general knowledge of how to properly use them. I work in software, and I can say that our understanding of office ergonomics and eye strain has made leaps and bounds even compared to ten years ago. It's common knowledge in the tech industry, but not in general society, that every 10-15 minutes you should spend 30-60 seconds looking at something farther away by at least several metres; staring out of a window, looking at distant mountains, or reading a poster across the room are all suitable distances. This helps relieve eye strain brought on from the LCD screens, the closeness of the screen, the brightness, and whathaveyou. It's also important not to slouch or lean too far back, because it's very easy to strain your shoulders and/or wrists while using a computer for extended periods of time.

These are very simple things to learn and do. They need to be communicated to the general public, which is the main problem, it seems. Such skills need to be taught in schools.

• Like 4

Just now, Podo said:

It's not that they aren't good for our eyes, it's more that we don't have good general knowledge of how to properly use them. I work in software, and I can say that our understanding of office ergonomics and eye strain has made leaps and bounds even compared to ten years ago. It's common knowledge in the tech industry, but not in general society, that every 10-15 minutes you should spend 30-60 seconds looking at something farther away by at least several metres; staring out of a window, looking at distant mountains, or reading a poster across the room are all suitable distances. This helps relieve eye strain brought on from the LCD screens, the closeness of the screen, the brightness, and whathaveyou. It's also important not to slouch or lean too far back, because it's very easy to strain your shoulders and/or wrists while using a computer for extended periods of time.

These are very simple things to learn and do. They need to be communicated to the general public, which is the main problem, it seems. Such skills need to be taught in schools.

Thanks! That is some great advice and good to know.:tu:

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Truthseeker007 said:

Thanks! That is some great advice and good to know.:tu:

Another great tool to reduce eyestrain and mitigate the horrors of bluelight is F.Lux. This app ties your local timezone's day/night cycle to the bluelight on your monitor. So, you'll get less bluelight as the day goes on, to better preserve your exposure to bluelight. It's another staple of the tech industry that absolutely everyone on the planet should use. This thing is fantastic, the first thing I do on a new computer is install F.Lux. It is highly, highly recommended for anyone who doesn't like risking their sleep cycle or who isn't a fan of eye strain. My whole office started using it a few years ago and everyone loves it.

It has the full Podo seal of approval.

https://justgetflux.com/

tjDIxN1.jpg?1

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 1/19/2018 at 4:41 PM, TellLieVision said:

It´s not the reading, it´s the writing, because hand writing unlike typing involves muscle memories wich in turn helps to solidify memories.

• Like 2

• 3 months later...
On 22/1/2018 at 5:09 PM, Truthseeker007 said:

The eye saver mode also helps.

I have perfect eyesight, and I protect my eyes as well as I can.

On 25/4/2018 at 5:18 AM, Goddess of the Mist said:

Now most people are used to tapping a button and coming up with a flood of information.  It can almost be too much information at times, which can sometimes be more distracting than helpful.  

The human brain has limited resources, and it's important to know your limits :)

• 2 weeks later...

It affected mostly our ability to focus. On the internet everything is in short terms. So people are used to short descriptions. Nobody wants to read long text messages and other texts. People will rather go on wikipedia and read about book than buy a book and read it whole. When i was reading books before technology i could read for a very long time and read whole book for 2-3h and nothing will distract me, now i cant keep focus on book after couple of minutes spent reading.

Basically phones hypnotize us. Ever been in situation when you talking to person and that person is so focused on the phone that they dont hear what you talking, and you must speak loud: Hey im talking!! Then they will respond agressive: WHATT!!

On computer we multitasking reading stuff in couple of windows, in other window we listen music,in other we watching video,if someone is in room we talking to them, always in room  TV is turned on, and we sometimes hear something on TV and now focus is on TV and monkey mind is always active.

Some studies said that in future new generations will be very uncreative.

At least all this preparing us for AI :D

• Thanks 1