Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

How has technology affected our attention?

TellLieVision

I think that it depends on how much one uses the tech. My work is physical hands on in construction and I have to be aware of my surroundings, even when I  just out and about I am contiously analysing my environment subconsciously. When I get on my computer it is to relax and find new things to learn about.

jmccr8

Edited by jmccr8
Auto corrupt
  • Like 1

They do say we have a "instant gratification culture " hence the Google when we want info. The credit card when we want to buy the streaming of movies. The gps instead of maps.

If you notice pop songs now don't have the really long instrumentals like they use too lol.

I dont think this is too big a deal though. People adapt 

Edited by spartan max2

There have been some studies about various aspects. 

I think the biggest worry is developing brains and the connections they make or don't make.

If a kid is doing some educational games once in a while, that's one thing.

It's entirely another if they're playing constant action games with lots of flashing lights and explosions.

The brain gets used to all that stimulation and then it can become really difficult to attend to things that are not as flashy. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

For me it's not so much a case of attention.  It's a case of the ability to make use of what I information I have acquired.  My ability to recall it.  The processes that I go by acquiring new information is so quick and easy (google it, read it, close it) that the odds of making use of it and recalling it or making it a part of my being is virtually non-existence.  It is also for the same reason very unlikely for anyone to ask me about a particular thing, or be curious about a particular thing, because they derive their own view points to their satisfaction from something like Google as well.

So, not so much attention, more so use of active recall or memory of that which is commonly needed.  In a manner of speaking the internet, or computers, is replacing a form of memory that was innate to us.

This is problematic because it makes learning something that is complicated extremely difficult to do in ways that is practical.  Since what one learns has to be innate to be of practical use unless it's very simple.

Attention is fine, it's more so active recall without assistance.

• Thanks 1

I feel like with the internet and search engines, and now 'assistants' in our phones/computers, we can immediately get the things we want without much effort. I think an interesting area for this topic is in education/learning, with the rise of sites like KhanAcademy/PatrickJMT/StudyPug/StackExchage etc. where the learning could be controlled by the learner. They could play/pause/skip through the content and locate what they need to learn quickly instead of sitting through an entire lecture and becoming confused with certain topics if the professor did not teach it well. I feel like those who has been exposed to these online resources and traditional classroom learning much prefer the online counterparts. However, giving the learner the ability to control the pace of their learning would impact their education based on their motivation and attention. There has been a study on this http://www.jstor.org/stable/pdf/jeductechsoci.12.4.207.pdf?seq=1#page_scan_tab_contents and the results are quite interesting.

Edited by wakarimasen
  • Thanks 1