Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ChillTownAVE

Unexplained scratch/claw marks

34 posts in this topic

This is the first time posting here, but I definitely need some second opinion’s on this. Let me start off my saying my girlfriend an I recently moved into her parents while we’re in between apartments. One evening, we both noticed strange scratches on our bedroom door. At first I though it was our cats, but the scratches are on the top half of the door (way higher than our cats could reach to claw at the door). Also, there are what appears to be finger nail marks as well. It’s just odd, and so far that’s the only thing that has happened, but I just wanted to know what you all think! Thanks!

Posted (edited)

Looks like something that could've been done accidentally while moving in. Or something that's been there a while that never went noticed.

Va0HLLW.jpg

Edited by XenoFish
3 people like this

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, ChillTownAVE said:

This is the first time posting here, but I definitely need some second opinion’s on this. Let me start off my saying my girlfriend an I recently moved into her parents while we’re in between apartments. One evening, we both noticed strange scratches on our bedroom door. At first I though it was our cats, but the scratches are on the top half of the door (way higher than our cats could reach to claw at the door). Also, there are what appears to be finger nail marks as well. It’s just odd, and so far that’s the only thing that has happened, but I just wanted to know what you all think! Thanks!

I don’t know. Maybe something unseen doesn’t like you there? Interesting gouge at the top of each scratch, meaning ....???

Any theories you might have (normal or paranormal)?

Edited by papageorge1
1 person likes this

I should have mentioned that we are both about 99% positive nothing was there when we moved in/theoughout the first month living there. They are about eye height, so we would have definitely noticed something that out of the ordinary. 

18 minutes ago, papageorge1 said:

I don’t know. Maybe something unseen doesn’t like you there? Interesting gouge at the top of each scratch, meaning ....???

I’ve heard a few stories of some of the spirits that are there, but I don’t think any of them would have left marks like that. They definitely do seem a bit creepy. But like I said, there hasn’t been much activity since then. 

Can you give us an idea of how big they are?

They look relatively uniform in shape.

6 minutes ago, SecretSanta said:

They look as if a piece of bed framing did it or some other object. Maybe an entertainment center, but I'm sure that's not what the OP wants it to be.

3 people like this

4 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

They look as if a piece of bed framing did it or some other object. Maybe an entertainment center, but I'm sure that's not what the OP wants it to be.

No need to generate assumptions. It’s not like I want it to be paranormal. All I can do is present the facts, and try rationalizing them. Which is why I posted here. I’m not here for people to agree with me, I appreciate the differing views. However, it boils down the fact that nobody has ever seen marks in the door until one day, we open the door and the first thing we both see are the “scratches.” 

15 minutes ago, SecretSanta said:

Sure! I can take a picture later of my hand next to the marks, but for general reference, they’re slightly smaller than my hands. And the main issue I’ve had when trying to rationalize them is the fact that it appears to have fingernail like marks dug into the wood.  I don’t even think I could leave that much of an imprint with my nails if I tried  

I don’t see fingernail marks. To me it looks like something hit the door then slid down. 

Did you ask her parents about it? 

2 people like this

2 minutes ago, SecretSanta said:

I don’t see fingernail marks. To me it looks like something hit the door then slid down. 

Did you ask her parents about it? 

Fair enough! That’s just the first thing that came to mind. There are little slits in each marking which makes me think of them as fingernail marks, but I could definitely be wrong!

and yes, we showed the picture to her mom and she was creeped out as well. She mentioned something about needing to cleanse the house (not just because of the marks, they’ve had many more experiences in the house than I have). 

2 hours ago, papageorge1 said:

Here goes ParaG again

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSMRMeIkpA0ngMOLRw_ZEb

24 minutes ago, ChillTownAVE said:

We showed the picture to her mom and she was creeped out as well.

As well? Did you all creep out?

They are scratch marks alright,  but there are also other scratch marks on the door which are not as deep could be older. Very likely you scratched the door when moving furniture in...and very likely you do not notice them because you were occupied with your new home.

Can i ask...did her parents move out when you moved in?

How many times had you been to her parents house before and in that particular bedroom?

I am assuming her parents are not living there any more because you showed the mum a photo.....instead of just showing her the door.

1 person likes this

37 minutes ago, ChillTownAVE said:

FShe mentioned something about needing to cleanse the house (not just because of the marks, they’ve had many more experiences in the house than I have). 

Ah, this wasn't mentioned in the OP. Certainly raises the specter (pun intended) of what may be going on.

There isn't a spook, specter, demon, or any form of mischievous entity pulling your leg. This is just a case of paranormal association. Meaning if you want it to be paranormal it will be 'paranormal' and just because you think it's paranormal, doesn't make it so. 

1 person likes this

5 minutes ago, papageorge1 said:

Ah, this wasn't mentioned in the OP. Certainly raises the specter (pun intended) of what may be going on.

Yes there is something going on....its called making it up as we go along.

We see it often on here. When the OP has not gain the required reaction by a majority of posters (in this case, all bar one)  the OP tries to juice it up.

1 person likes this

12 minutes ago, freetoroam said:

Here goes ParaG again

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSMRMeIkpA0ngMOLRw_ZEb

As well? Did you all creep out?

They are scratch marks alright,  but there are also other scratch marks on the door which are not as deep could be older. Very likely you scratched the door when moving furniture in...and very likely you do not notice them because you were occupied with your new home.

Can i ask...did her parents move out when you moved in?

How many times had you been to her parents house before and in that particular bedroom?

I am assuming her parents are not living there any more because you showed the mum a photo.....instead of just showing her the door.

Yeah we were all pretty freaked out by it. It is a very old door, so not out of the possibility! It actually isn’t a new home (only to me I guess). My girlfriend has lived there for about 10 years with her family. And that’s the first time she’s ever noticed them as well. And her mom is disabled, so she can’t go upstairs anymore, but they’ve all seen shadows and heard voices/breathing in the time they’ve lived there  (nothing malevolent that I know of thank goodness!)

Ive been in their house quite a few times. Probably walk in and out of the room about 50 times prior to even noticing them. Like you said, there’s a possibility the scratches were already there. It’s just odd, since both my girlfriend and I both opened the door that night and immediately saw them, noting how odd they looked. 

1 minute ago, ChillTownAVE said:

Probably walk in and out of the room about 50 times prior to even noticing them.

You know. Sometimes we get so used to seeing something and never pay it any attention till it's brought to our attention. 

1 person likes this

2 minutes ago, freetoroam said:

We see it often on here. When the OP has not gain the required reaction by a majority of posters (in this case, all bar one)  the OP tries to juice it up.

Think what you like. I have no reason to look for reactions. I’m just providing more information (as I had to make a quick post while at work). I in no way am looking for a reaction. I’m glad you all don’t think it’s paranormal. But, insinuating that I’m lying is quite the assumption. Look, you have your opinion. Others have their opinion as well. I thought that this was a forum to have actual discussion (like a few have thus far!) But to just dismiss me as being a liar looking for attention is a little silly. All I wanted is to give MY side of the story, and fill in more details as questions were brought up. 

1 minute ago, freetoroam said:

I wonder if our resident skeptics aren't the ones making it up as they go along......story after story

I just don't see the incentive to invent something like this, myself.......maybe once in a while we may get a hoaxer but story after story....??

2 people like this

15 minutes ago, papageorge1 said:

The fact that there have been past sightings and experiences in the house is the reason I didn’t dismiss them entirely. As it is, I’m not exactly worried about something negative trying to spook me. 

2 minutes ago, ChillTownAVE said:

The fact that there have been past sightings and experiences in the house is the reason I didn’t dismiss them entirely. As it is, I’m not exactly worried about something negative trying to spook me. 

I wouldn't worry at this point either.

1 person likes this

1 minute ago, papageorge1 said:

I wonder if our resident skeptics aren't the ones making it up as they go along......story after story

I just don't see the incentive to invent something like this, myself.......maybe once in a while we may get a hoaxer but story after story....??

Ah, that does make a bit more sense. I guess it’s normal for people to be skeptical. I’ll repeat myself again here: I have no reason to make up a story and post it on a random paranormal message board. I really don’t have the time to actually search out a forum, make up a story, and continue replying. 

I found this this site as I was googling possible explanations, and figured I’d give it a shot and see if anyone had any similar experiences/suggestions/discussions. 

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

8 minutes ago, ChillTownAVE said:

Think what you like. I have no reason to look for reactions. I’m just providing more information (as I had to make a quick post while at work). I in no way am looking for a reaction. I’m glad you all don’t think it’s paranormal. But, insinuating that I’m lying is quite the assumption. Look, you have your opinion. Others have their opinion as well. I thought that this was a forum to have actual discussion (like a few have thus far!) But to just dismiss me as being a liar looking for attention is a little silly. All I wanted is to give MY side of the story, and fill in more details as questions were brought up. 

Let's get something clear. We tend to get fly-by posters here. Who come in with all kinds of stories. This is just another one. And you're already leaning towards it being paranormal. So you are the one assuming what it is. That makes the real question, "Why ask us?"

Edited by XenoFish
1 person likes this

1 minute ago, papageorge1 said:

I wouldn't worry at this point either.

Thanks! I would like to dig a bit deeper into the whole “investigation” stage of things to see if there is in fact spirits in the house. I am toying with the idea of recording in our bedroom while we’re at work and overnight just to gain a bit more clarity on the situation.