Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

What ya got cooking UM?

rashore

I had very good success with a pork roast yesterday in the slow cooker. Did all the prep sunday night, stuck it in the fridge and then let it cook all day yesterday on low while I was at work. It lovely and tender.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, rashore said:

If you want them hot, you can do the "slab-o-buns" trick for that too. Trick there is that you layer the whole slab into a baking dish and don't slice up the whole sandwich into rolls. Bake whole to get hot, and then slice up into the individual rolls for service.

A kind of fussyish setup but super "ooohh" factor with hot is doing "sliders" in muffin cups. Also make for great day ahead prep and transporting of built individual sandwiches.  Grease or line your muffin tins and build the sammies in them. Transport in the tins. Bake at moms. The cups help keep the sliders together in their upright position during travel.

Great ideas!!   Thank you!!

• Like 3

damn this thread... :lol:   every time I read it I want to EAT!!!

worse than this tho is Im such a sucker for watching those TV chef programmes, and Gordon Ramsay of course tho most of his stuff is about straightening out other restaurants rather than just cooking by himself. Sure some dont like Ramsay, but he has the creds, 16 Michelin stars etc throughout his restaurants....plus we are both the same age....even tho Im far better looking of course.... and I dont start yelling and screaming in my kitchen

Edited by seeder
  • Like 5

I don't watch the cooking channels too much anymore- too much food challenges/battles and too much watching other people travel around and eat... and just not much for actual cooking shows of interest anymore for me. Although on the weekends PBS has Americas Test Kitchen and Cooks Country, and I watch those often. Because they actually cook and show you cooking while cooking. And still keeping my fingers crossed for AB to reboot Good Eats. I still really miss Two Fat Ladies- the glory of the butter queens :)

Kind of funny about Ramsey- his show came to my school, and I picked up a "processing packet" to see what it was about.. Dang thing must have been 40 pages long and asked you for all sorts of stuff like what your spouse did for a living and crap that honestly... I didn't see the point in asking for the information for anything more than setting up "reality TV trouble" if you know what I mean.

Today's cooking is pickling mushrooms- the local market had them on sale. I'm doing them cheater style and in the fridge because I don't feel like setting up the canner, lol. And were are flat out of pickled mushrooms, it's a shame, lol.

• Like 2

anyone else like Hassleback Potatoes?

Hasselback_Potatoes.jpg

These trendy roast potatoes originated in a restaurant in Stockholm. They involve slicing into the potato to create slits, but making sure not to cut right through the potato. They are well worth the effort! A sprinkling of Pecorino cheese and breadcrumbs makes them extra crispy.

http://allrecipes.co.uk/recipe/7535/hasselback-potatoes.aspx

• Like 2

You might've tried boiling, mashing, and even turning cauliflower into 'rice'. For a different take on cauliflower, try these oven-roasted cauliflower steaks

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/239042/roasted-cauliflower-steaks/

If you like this idea, theres many recipes for same on google with different toppings etc

• Like 1

Hubby seasoned and sauteed cut up chicken breasts in butter in the skillet; added cojack cheese at the end to melt.  I made broccoli au gratin rice and we had a tossed salad and dinner rolls with  it.  

• Like 2

On 2018-02-02 at 10:57 PM, seeder said:

anyone else like Hassleback Potatoes?

Hasselback_Potatoes.jpg

My favorite potato recipe to have with steak.. But it is called hasselback not hassleback..
The original is with almond on.
The swedish word hassel is almond in english.
I use to pour olive oil on top and the pressed garlic and barbeque seasoning. 

• Like 2

A few things going on in the kitchen..

I've dehydrated up a couple quarts of diced onion over the last couple days- we use a lot of it. 5 pounds of fresh onions makes a quart of dehydrated.

Today I have a 2 pound batch of jerky on the dehydrator. I cheated and did the ground meat stuff, a pound each of lean ground beef and ground turkey. It's my first test batch. I don't own a jerky gun, and didn't feel like shaping the meat to it's needed shape... then I remembered I do own a spritz cookie gun. So I popped the meat out of the freezer, mixed up the spices and salt, let the stuff sit in the fridge for about a day.. and used the cookie gun to pipe out jerky strips. Worked beautifully. Cold ground meat is about the same stiffness and piping consistency as a good spritz cookie dough :) The smell of the stuff dehydrating most of the day is driving us crazy.. but still not done yet.. Will see what it ends up measuring out as weight wise after the stuff is finally done.

Got pork chop suey burbling on the stove today too. Mom's recipe calls for pork and beef, but I had a nice sized pork roast defrosted and ready to cut up. The smell of that is mixing with the jerky and making a crazy wonderful umami-land of almost can taste it.. mmmm.

Tomorrow is the last batch of onions to dry up.. then a nice round of dehydrating lemons and a couple leftover other citrus to freshen up the larder and the stinky days of onions and meats drying, lol.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Daughter of the Nine Moons said:

Can I come to your house rashore?

Lol.. our house is here :)

As an extra here.. sometimes cooking backfires too. I just realized I turned on the wrong burner for the rice... I have an electric stove, using new burner covers.... burned off the new to a crisp of the burner cover before I realized I didn't crank up the heat under the water for the rice. Some very not nice eating smells there, lol.

Good thing hubby already set up dinner and movie on the couch on the other side of the house tonight.. pee-whew.

• Like 1

I'm going to try my hand at making a chicken stew tonight for supper with potatoes, onions, carrots and mushrooms.   

Here's said recipe for the stew:   

• 1½ lbs. chicken thighs, boneless, skinless, cut into bite size pieces
  • 1 Tbsp. canola oil
  • 3 medium carrots, sliced diagonally into ½-inch pieces
  • 1 medium sweet onion, cut into 12 wedges
  • 6 garlic cloves, chopped
  • 5 cups chicken stock, divided
  • 2 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
  • 1 dried bay leaf
  • 12 oz. baby white potatoes, quartered
  • ¼ cup fresh chopped parsley
  • salt and freshly ground black pepper

1. Season the chicken with salt and pepper, to taste.
  2. Heat oil in a dutch oven over high heat. Add chicken and cook, stirring occasionally, until brown on all sides, about 6 minutes total. Transfer to a plate.
  3. Add carrots and onion to the dutch oven and cook, stirring often, until onions begin to soften, about 4-5 minutes. Add garlic and cook for about 30 seconds, stirring nonstop. Add ½ cup chicken stock while stirring and scraping to loosen browned bits from the bottom of the dutch oven.
  4. In a small bowl, whisk together flour and ½ cup broth; add to the dutch oven. Stir in chicken and remaining 4 cups of chicken broth. Add bay leaf and season with salt and pepper, to taste. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium-low and simmer 25 minutes, partially covered.
  5. Add potatoes and cook uncovered until potatoes are tender, about 18-20 minutes. The liquid will slightly reduce even further. Stir in parsley and discard bay leaf before serving.
I didn't have chicken thighs but used boneless, skinless chicken breasts.  I also added about 10 ounces of white button mushrooms, cut in quarters.

• Like 3

Tonight I cooked up a pan of baked penne so that the non cookers can simply throw it in the oven while I work a late night. 

Ingredients: 2-3 pounds mild Italian sausage, 1 pound penne pasta, 1jar of favorite spaghetti sauce, 2 cans of fire roasted tomatoes, a small jar of tomato pesto, mozzarella cheese. 

Put alot of sausage in mine as I try to avoid the pasta but still want a full belly

Directions: cook penne til aldente. Cook sausage in a little bit of olive oil season with garlic. If you like more spicy dish add red pepper flakes. When cooked add sauce, tomatoes, pesto and stir. Stir in penne. Scoop into  9x13 baking dish top with cheese. Bake at 350 until cheese is at desired browness.

Simple but tasty

• Like 1

We made italian chicken last night; boneless, skinless chicken breasts marinated in italian dressing for a few hours, the sauteed in a skillet until browned.  homemade mashed potatoes and fresh veggies, plus homemade applesauce for dessert.  

• Like 1

I made a casserole the other night that turned out really well. Scalloped cauliflower, butternut squash, and butter bean casserole.

I cut the cauliflower into inch-ish slices, the squash into slim half-inch-ish slices. Diced up a yellow onion to a medium fine dice. 1 can of butter beans, drained but not rinsed.

And I use hotel pans a lot, this time it was a deep third pan- it's my fave pan for stuff like this. Third pans are a bit narrower than the standard 9x13 pans, but more than twice as deep. I find the narrow and deep counts with layer casseroles like this to turn out right.

Made a bechamel for the creamy sauce action. 4 T butter, with the water sizzle off the fats. Then 5 T flour (it was humid in the kitchen, and I wanted a stiff roux)... cool the roux over med for 2-3 min to cook the flour and toast up it's nuttiness. Hit it with a heaping couple tablespoons of wet minced garlic, stir in to christen the roux... then the milk whisked in in increments. Not sure how much, but a goodly couple cups by the time I had the bechamel at the consistency I wanted... pretty thick, because the squash, cauliflower, and onion would all yield liquid during cooking. Seasoned it with black pepper, salt, savory, and parsley.

Layer a wee bit of sauce into bottom of pan. Layer half the cauliflower, onion, squash, then all the butterbeans, then half the bechamel sauce. Then cauliflower, onion, squash, and the rest of the bechamel spread over the top. Added a generous quarter cup of milk to the pan to keep the bottom wet and not-scorching while the veggies cooked up enough to start yielding liquid.

Foil over the top of the pan, and into the oven at 350 for an hour. Tenderness checks from there, this time it took about an extra 20 minutes till tender. Take out of oven, and let rest for 15 minutes before serving.

• Like 3

this might sound weird to those in the US....but...as a kid... I loved Faggots!!....yes I know the other meaning to the word...but Im not here to joke

recipe idea here

https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/2552644/faggots-with-onion-gravy

we usually buy them tho....easier...cheap too

4-Faggots.jpg

• Like 2

Going to make cheesesteak sandwiches tonight for supper.  I have leftover red, yellow and orange peppers, going to sautee them with sweet onion, then cook thin slices of beef and layer on toasted bread with slices of provolone cheese.  :)  

• Like 2

On 2/16/2018 at 6:55 PM, seeder said:

this might sound weird to those in the US....but...as a kid... I loved Faggots!!....yes I know the other meaning to the word...but Im not here to joke

recipe idea here

https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/2552644/faggots-with-onion-gravy

we usually buy them tho....easier...cheap too

4-Faggots.jpg

I'm not sure if I would like that or not... I'm super picky with liver foods. Sounds like it could be good. I've made similar "stuffing meatballs" with ground turkey and ground beef without the liver before. It's tasty and a great way to stretch the meat double.

Though stuffing and ballls, lol. Years ago, late 90's I had a trip to Edinburgh. Stayed downtown? On the main street down the hill from the castle. Couldn't tell you the name of the hotel off the top of my head, but could probably figure it out. There was this shop within a short walk down one of the windy side streets- it was a baked potato shop. I don't know how they cooked them, somehow they seemed steamed and baked at the same time, perfect. And they had these stuffing-balls that were phenomenal. A bit bigger than a baseball, really flavorful and herby and really a big stuffing all they way through fluffy without being gunky in the middle and still having a bit of outer dry crust to it that made it neat to pick up and eat. Almost as good cold as when piping hot from the shop. I think I ate at least one nearly every day I was there- it was cheap, tasty, and made a perfect snack while walking around the area. I wish I knew how to make those stuffing balls.

And stuffing... Tonight I'm making stuffed shells for dinner. This one is a two-for. One tray for dinner tonight, and another to pop into the freezer for another day. Typically I make it one huge batch in a deep 9x13 lasagna pan or half hotel pan. But I got some disposable deep third pans on clearance at GFS so I can split the batch.

For the sauce:

3 pints+ 1 half pint of Italian sauce. I can my own base sauce, you can use store bought. But you want 6-7 cups of sauce at the end of the day.

A bit of pomace oil, for saute

1 medium yellow onion, chopped

1 green pepper, diced ( I used dehydrated pepper this time)

2- 4 oz cans mushrooms, drained

1 T each dried oregano, basil, and dried minced garlic

Saute the onions in the oil with a sprinkle of salt till they are translucent. Add the rest of the ingredients, bring up to a simmer for 20 minutes, kill heat and let cool till it's not steaming anymore to room temp. Let the flavors steep.

For the stuffing:

2 cups creamed spinach (I make my own in bigger batches and freeze off portions, store bought works too)

2 cups ricotta cheese (round here it's a 15 oz tub, that's ok)

1 cup shredded Italian cheeses- about half a package of shredded cheese, save the other half for topping.

1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese

1 tablespoon Italian seasoning

1/2 teaspoon iodized tabe salt

Stir it all together and set aside till it's shell stuffing time

To complete the dish..

1 box large shells. Undercook them by bit, they should only seem about half done when you drain them. Drain, then immediately dump the shells back into the kettle and fill with cold water to slow cooking. Let stand till room temp. This helps with preventing split shells and possible overcooking in the oven.

2 cans cannellinii beans, drained and rinsed

Assembly:

A goodly half cup per third pan or cup of sauce per big pan in the bottom. You want it really wet, but not deep standing in sauce. You want your beans to be seated in sauce

A can of beans per third pan or both per big pan, spread evenly. Add enough sauce on top to have full coverage of beans, but not quite starting to swim.

Don't drain your shells, leave them in standing water while stuffing. Do shake off excess water well from each shell before stuffing. Stuff shells and nestle them atop the beans. If you set up the beans right, they make a nice base that supports the shells being upright.

Pour sauce around shells till they about 1/4 to 1/3 submerged- depends on how saucy you like it. We tend to like a lot of sauce. Make sure you coat/drizzle the shells well during this. And also at this point, if you are doing a two-for. You want to use a bit more sauce in the pan going into the freezer.

Sprinkle the rest of the shredded cheese over the top of the pan/s.

If you like, an optional goodly sprinkle of Parmesan on top.. we like cheese :)

At this point. If doing a two-for you want to cover/prep the pan for the freezer and get it into the fridge for a good chilling before popping into the freezer. For baking, let defrost in the fridge for 24-48 hours before baking per regular baking instructions.

Baking: Bake covered at 350 for 1-1/2 hours, or till the whole thing is burbling and internal temps read over 165 and the cheese is gooey. If you like a bit of crust on your dish, uncover for the last 15-30 minutes of baking depending on taste. Pull from oven and let rest 15 or so min till service- about the amount of time it takes for the garlic bread to toast up.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, tcgram said:

Going to make cheesesteak sandwiches tonight for supper.  I have leftover red, yellow and orange peppers, going to sautee them with sweet onion, then cook thin slices of beef and layer on toasted bread with slices of provolone cheese.  :)  

The store did not have the thin sliced beef so had to resort to making tater tot casserole.  Peppers and onion are going to be chopped up, sauteed and used with cheddar cheese and scrambled eggs tomorrow morning for breakfast burritos. 

• Like 3

13 hours ago, rashore said:

I'm not sure if I would like that or not... I'm super picky with liver foods. Sounds like it could be good. I've made similar "stuffing meatballs" with ground turkey and ground beef without the liver before. It's tasty and a great way to stretch the meat double.

Though stuffing and ballls, lol. Years ago, late 90's I had a trip to Edinburgh. Stayed downtown? On the main street down the hill from the castle. Couldn't tell you the name of the hotel off the top of my head, but could probably figure it out. There was this shop within a short walk down one of the windy side streets- it was a baked potato shop. I don't know how they cooked them, somehow they seemed steamed and baked at the same time, perfect. And they had these stuffing-balls that were phenomenal. A bit bigger than a baseball, really flavorful and herby and really a big stuffing all they way through fluffy without being gunky in the middle and still having a bit of outer dry crust to it that made it neat to pick up and eat. Almost as good cold as when piping hot from the shop. I think I ate at least one nearly every day I was there- it was cheap, tasty, and made a perfect snack while walking around the area. I wish I knew how to make those stuffing balls.

And stuffing... Tonight I'm making stuffed shells for dinner. This one is a two-for. One tray for dinner tonight, and another to pop into the freezer for another day. Typically I make it one huge batch in a deep 9x13 lasagna pan or half hotel pan. But I got some disposable deep third pans on clearance at GFS so I can split the batch.

For the sauce:

3 pints+ 1 half pint of Italian sauce. I can my own base sauce, you can use store bought. But you want 6-7 cups of sauce at the end of the day.

A bit of pomace oil, for saute

1 medium yellow onion, chopped

1 green pepper, diced ( I used dehydrated pepper this time)

2- 4 oz cans mushrooms, drained

1 T each dried oregano, basil, and dried minced garlic

Saute the onions in the oil with a sprinkle of salt till they are translucent. Add the rest of the ingredients, bring up to a simmer for 20 minutes, kill heat and let cool till it's not steaming anymore to room temp. Let the flavors steep.

For the stuffing:

2 cups creamed spinach (I make my own in bigger batches and freeze off portions, store bought works too)

2 cups ricotta cheese (round here it's a 15 oz tub, that's ok)

1 cup shredded Italian cheeses- about half a package of shredded cheese, save the other half for topping.

1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese

1 tablespoon Italian seasoning

1/2 teaspoon iodized tabe salt

Stir it all together and set aside till it's shell stuffing time

To complete the dish..

1 box large shells. Undercook them by bit, they should only seem about half done when you drain them. Drain, then immediately dump the shells back into the kettle and fill with cold water to slow cooking. Let stand till room temp. This helps with preventing split shells and possible overcooking in the oven.

2 cans cannellinii beans, drained and rinsed

Assembly:

A goodly half cup per third pan or cup of sauce per big pan in the bottom. You want it really wet, but not deep standing in sauce. You want your beans to be seated in sauce

A can of beans per third pan or both per big pan, spread evenly. Add enough sauce on top to have full coverage of beans, but not quite starting to swim.

Don't drain your shells, leave them in standing water while stuffing. Do shake off excess water well from each shell before stuffing. Stuff shells and nestle them atop the beans. If you set up the beans right, they make a nice base that supports the shells being upright.

Pour sauce around shells till they about 1/4 to 1/3 submerged- depends on how saucy you like it. We tend to like a lot of sauce. Make sure you coat/drizzle the shells well during this. And also at this point, if you are doing a two-for. You want to use a bit more sauce in the pan going into the freezer.

Sprinkle the rest of the shredded cheese over the top of the pan/s.

If you like, an optional goodly sprinkle of Parmesan on top.. we like cheese :)

At this point. If doing a two-for you want to cover/prep the pan for the freezer and get it into the fridge for a good chilling before popping into the freezer. For baking, let defrost in the fridge for 24-48 hours before baking per regular baking instructions.

Baking: Bake covered at 350 for 1-1/2 hours, or till the whole thing is burbling and internal temps read over 165 and the cheese is gooey. If you like a bit of crust on your dish, uncover for the last 15-30 minutes of baking depending on taste. Pull from oven and let rest 15 or so min till service- about the amount of time it takes for the garlic bread to toast up.

you may be in luck...one of my best mates is Scottish and is up there now...if this (link) isnt the recipe you had, let me know and I will ask my mate for you

https://thebloodsugardiet.com/recipes/skirlie-scottish-stuffing-filling-or-side-dish/

2 hours ago, seeder said:

you may be in luck...one of my best mates is Scottish and is up there now...if this (link) isnt the recipe you had, let me know and I will ask my mate for you

https://thebloodsugardiet.com/recipes/skirlie-scottish-stuffing-filling-or-side-dish/

I'm not sure if that's it or not. The stuff had a lot of herbs, I don't think it was oat based. I remember it being stuffy, not grainy.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, rashore said:

I'm not sure if that's it or not. The stuff had a lot of herbs, I don't think it was oat based. I remember it being stuffy, not grainy.

Might it have been this place?

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowUserReviews-g186525-d1727099-r307922078-Tempting_Tattie-Edinburgh_Scotland.html

Im wondering if you actually had Haggis on the potato??

baked-potato-shop-haggis-570x385.jpg

Haggis are baseball sized too

shutterstock_611174243-300x300@2x.jpg

Edited by seeder

The other day I posted in the "What's for Dinner?" thread that I was making Creole angel po boys and a mustard horseradish brussels sprouts slaw. I was asked for the slaw recipe and said I would post here here for folks :)

slaw veggies

2/3 to a 1 pound brussels sprouts- this sounds like odd measure. I pick up sprouts in 2 pound quantities and I'll use 1/3-1/2 a bag for a batch of slaw. Slice very thin, I use a crank slicer.

1 bunch green onions OR 1 small red onion, sliced or diced fine.

1 to 1-1/2 cups shredded carrot- how much you use will depend, I'll explain in the instructions

slaw dressing

juice of 1 lemon, around 3-4 tablespoons

a generous tablespoon/squirt each of a yellow mustard and a brown mustard. I like Frenches or Colemans for the yellow and Gulden's or other smooth grainy brown. Don't use super-chunky grain mustard, it doesn't get into the nooks and crannies of the veggies as nice.

a tablespoon of fresh horseradish- I use prepared stuff from the store. Point is, don't use a horseradish sauce for this.

a tablespoon of dry parsley

a teaspoon of fresh minced or wet garlic

good shake each of salt and black pepper

4-6 ounces of a light flavor oil- here is where you use your extra virgin olive oil, grapeseed, ect.

1/4-1/3 cup of grated Italian cheese. I prefer Romano over Parmesan for this

Instructions

Whisk together your dressing ingredients, and taste. If you like it a bit more horseradish or mustard of whatever, add a bit more in. This should be a fairly loose and liquid dressing, it does not need to be a heavily whisked and emulsified dressing.

Stir in sprouts and onions well. Let stand for 30 minutes. Taste your slaw- it should have a bit of heat and almost too much savory kick, and the sprouts should just be starting to want to sweat a bit of liquid. Now you add in the shredded carrot- it adds the sweeter crisp. Start with a cup, stir in well and taste. Then add the other half cup if needed. Adjust salt and pepper if needed- this is also the time to add another splash of lemon juice if you think it needs it. Pop into the fridge for at least an hour. Stir and serve.

4-6 servings. This holds well in the fridge for a couple days worth of eating. And since it's not diary based like a lot of slaws can be, it can take a lot of the temp/time abuse found at potluck and warm weather outdoor parties. The Italian cheese isn't a spoil factor here. And it tastes good at room temp.

• Like 1