Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

What ya got cooking UM?

rashore

I've always wanted to make toasted everything, but it seems like I never have enough on hand.

Harte

• Haha 1

Chicken Fajitas

4 tbsp chili powder

2 tbsp cumin

2 tsp oregano

1 1/2 tsp garlic powder 

1 tsp of salt.  

Mix together well and season boneless, skinless chicken breasts that have been pounded flat.  Place on a grill and cook on high for approximately 1 1/2 minutes per side.   Sautee red, yellow and orange bell peppers, sweet onion in a skillet with some olive oil.  Season with salt.  Cook until tender, then cut chicken into strips and add to veggie mix.  Heat through.  Serve with tortillas, sour cream, salsa and shredded mexican blend cheese.  :) 

• Like 2

Oh yeah.. the time of year for grilling to be on :) I'm with you on sautee the peppers and onions on the side and not grill them.

• Like 2

I've got a series of pics I made about how to cut up a chicken like my Mama used to do, but this is probably not the thread for it.

Had planned another post similar to the pie one, but about fried chicken.

Didn't get many likes on my pie post, and I thought it was fantastic. :D

Harte

• Like 1

A fajita rap containing thin slices of steak, grated cheese, some fries and salad.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Harte said:

I've got a series of pics I made about how to cut up a chicken like my Mama used to do, but this is probably not the thread for it.

Harte

I thought your pie post was great as well.  :) 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Harte said:

Harte

I thought your pie post was really well done. Kind of funny, just the other day in a cooking forum a few of us were griping about bloggers that overload their posts with unnecessary photos- glory shots of the made product and a load of story/background before even getting to the recipe combined with also usually very little useful tutorial shots. Drives me nuts personally. But I liked your posting style of mixing Useful pics of the process with the instructions.

And having cut up many chickens, I would err on the side of nice and perhaps put that part in a spoiler with a warning that it's how to cut up the chicken. That way it isn't all woah in the thread yet still allows members that would like to see it the option to choose to do so. And fried chicken? Yes please :yes:

• Like 2

I haven't done the breading and frying the parts pics yet. I'll work on it in a few weeks - once I'm OFF WORK FOR THE SUMMER!!! :D

Harte

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Harte said:

I haven't done the breading and frying the parts pics yet. I'll work on it in a few weeks - once I'm OFF WORK FOR THE SUMMER!!! :D

Harte

Did you just actually tease us with fried chicken and no fried chicken for weeks? Ptttht :P You best give us some fried chicken when you are off for the summer.

Meanwhile.. not fried chicken... today is chilly, wet, and raw... but staying above fridge temps. A filling soup/stew kind of day. Chicken enchilada soup.

Poking around the house I had one boneless chicken breast left in the freezer, an orange sweet pepper in the veggie bin that needed eating, and a couple onions in the bag starting to poke up some green and needs either eating or planting. Eating it is.

1 boneless chicken breast. Defrost just enough to make it a firm slab to slice and dice into bits.

1 sweet bell pepper, diced

1 medium yellow onion diced

1-2 tablespoons olive, pomice, or veggie oil

1-2 tablespoons bacon grease

1 can black beans, drained and rinsed

1/2 cup dehydrated corn OR 1 cup frozen corn OR 1 can whole corn- see instruction notes

8-10 oz jar/can enchilada sauce, homemade or store bought is fine.

14-16 oz jar/can diced tomatoes, undrained

1 tablespoon chicken bouillon base- I use a Knorr Caldo Con Sabor de Pollo

1 packet of Sazon Goya- Con Azafran seasoning

2-3 cups water- see instruction notes

1/8 teaspoon black pepper

In your stock/soup kettle. Heat the oil and sear/brown your chicken meat. Pour off into a bowl.

Put in your bacon grease and once it's sizzling, toss in the bell pepper, onion, and teaspoon salt. Saute for several minutes, till the fond starts to build up and the onions and peppers get touches of browning on them.

Deglaze with 2-3 cups water. Here's the instruction notes noted with the ingredients come in. If you are using dehydrated corn, go with the full 3 cups water right off. If you are using frozen corn or canned corn, start with 2 cups water and thin if needed. Tip- if you use canned corn, drain it into the water measure instead of discarding it.

Dump in your chicken bouillon, Azafran seasoning, and black pepper- Give it a good stir.

Dump in the undrained canned tomatoes, enchilada sauce, beans, corn, and chicken. Give it a good stir.

Reduce heat to way low and barely burble for an hour or two. Let the sharp and spicy juice meld with the more mellow and bland beans and unseasoned chicken, the sweetness of the corn and sweet pepper seep into the mix.

Around service time.. a couple ways to go with this. Either serve as is as a spicy soup with sides like sour cream, shredded cheese, corn chips and so on... or stir some sour cream, cream cheese, milk , or regular cheese into the soup before service to make a much more dairy version.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, rashore said:

Did you just actually tease us with fried chicken and no fried chicken for weeks? Ptttht :P You best give us some fried chicken when you are off for the summer.

It's supposed to be a how-to.

If all you want is my fried food, here's a couple of appetizers:

https://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/forum/topic/245927-whats-for-dinner/?page=3&tab=comments#comment-5258349

https://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/forum/topic/245927-whats-for-dinner/?page=4&tab=comments#comment-5297216

Harte

• Like 2

on the weekends my son's girlfriend's foster brother comes over and he raves about my cooking. Home life for him is rough so to make him feel  special I make him late night snacks on Saturdays. Tomorrow i am making my sausage cheese dip. I made it Sunday for mother's day and was meant to be an appetizer for our taco dinner... but instead my father, brothers, my son and I got carried away and ate the whole crock pot full before dinner was served. It is quite simple and very tasty

ingredient list

1 pound of pork sausage

1 can of tomatoes and green chilies

3 chipotle peppers (from a can)

1/2 large brick of velveeta cheese

flour

half n half

beef stock

How to: cook sausage until browned. Add flour until grease is absorbed. Add can of tomatoes and chilies. Dice chipotle peppers and add. Mix well. Cube in velveeta cheese, Stir well. Add approximately 1/4 cup beef stock and 1/4 cup of half n half. Sit well. If too thick add more broth and half n half. serve warm with anything edible.. it is delicious. I shall add a picture tomorrow

Edited by Overdueleaf
  • Like 1

Anyone got salted cod recipes they like? This weekend I got the unexpected treat of 1 1/2 pounds of fresh salt packed salted cod from a buddy of mine. It's not the wooden box jerky, it's true fresh salt pack he makes at a restaurant he works for. I got it on it's second water change to soak overnight right now.

Both my love and I like this.. but it's just the two of us and that's a lot of cod. I was thinking a batch of fritters maybe...

Or what do folks like to eat with salted cod stuff? I'm open to suggestions.

Getting supplies for a cookout at my mom's on Memorial Day. We are going to be having hamburgers, hot dogs, turkey burgers on the grill.  I am making homemade potato salad, made with boiled potatoes, peeled while still warm, add salt and pepper, chopped hard boiled egg, dill relish, a little bit of mustard, miracle whip.  I also chop red onion for those who enjoy onion in their salad.  I'm also making a fruit pizza with a sugar cookie crust, a mixture of cream cheese, powdered sugar and cool whip, fresh fruit and a glaze made from orange juice, sugar, corn starch and water.  It is brushed over the fruit and prevents it from browning.  

I'm making potato salad too. But I use chopped up dill pickles instead of relish.

Harte

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Harte said:

I'm making potato salad too. But I use chopped up dill pickles instead of relish.

Harte

I got the recipe from my mom-in-law years ago because her potato salad is the only one I really like.   So I use what she uses in hers.  :) 

Mine's more mustardy than most and less sweet - I use pickle juice.

It's my Mom's recipe that I've tweaked a little.

Harte

Edited by Harte
  • Like 1

Amusing potato salads.. and this carries into pasta salads too in a cooking thread not on UM I've been participating in...

Is it better to dress your potato or pasta while those are still warm/freshly drained? Or chill the potatoes or pasta off first before mixing.. or depends on the salad?

BTW... made up the soaked salted cod with a poaching with some small red and yellow potatoes.. then pulled the cod and mashed the taters with butter, milk, garlic, and snipped onion greens.. then stirred back in the poached cod flaked up in a generous amount of butter and pomice oil and baked it off till hot, crusty, and bubbly. 

• Like 2

A ham a cheese sandwich - that my two young nephews claimed off of me.  A cheese sandwich that then followed a similar fate.  A potnoodle, a muffin and a cuppa.

• Like 3

59 minutes ago, rashore said:

Amusing potato salads.. and this carries into pasta salads too in a cooking thread not on UM I've been participating in...

Is it better to dress your potato or pasta while those are still warm/freshly drained? Or chill the potatoes or pasta off first before mixing.. or depends on the salad?

With pasta salad, I've found it's better to dress it after it chills.  With potato salad, it tastes better if dressed while still warm.   That's my opinion, anyway.  :) 

• Thanks 1

Weetabix with milk and sugar - you always enjoy it when youve not had it for ages :)

• Like 2

Chicken and mushroom PUKKA Pie with mushy peas, chips and gravy.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT2ZMRD4WRx_jkeupPznEP

• Like 2

Hubby is making angel hair pasta with chicken breasts simmered in a homemade sauce made with sauteed garlic,onion, olive oil, a bit of basil or thyme, oregano, salt and pepper.  

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I made some cinnamon rolls on Father's Day:

baked.thumb.jpg.17e086545ecc785c883d5a4b73d9424b.jpg

Harte

• Like 3

Baked chicken breasts then coated them with a mixture of olive oil, garlic, salt and pepper, and parmesan cheese.   Added some seasonings and parmesan cheese to small colored potatoes and put them in the oven as well.  Sauteed mushrooms, sweet onion, and red and yellow peppers in a bit of olive oil and butter.  

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

portugese chicken:. fresh fennel cut into pieces, onions cut into pieces, 2 slices garlic, cumin mixed with tomato pulb , mustard, bit sugar, salt. This paste is used tu rub the chicken.

roast the chciken gently, roast onions gently, put chicken borth, fennel, garlic, paste, lemon and a bit lemon husk into it. Boil, garnish with parsley

Serve with rice

• Like 2