Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

What ya got cooking UM?

rashore

2 hours ago, jerry1234 said:

portugese chicken:. fresh fennel cut into pieces, onions cut into pieces, 2 slices garlic, cumin mixed with tomato pulb , mustard, bit sugar, salt. This paste is used tu rub the chicken.

roast the chciken gently, roast onions gently, put chicken borth, fennel, garlic, paste, lemon and a bit lemon husk into it. Boil, garnish with parsley

Serve with rice

fogot: paste: mustard hnoey instead of sugar, cumin, tomato paste, lemon husk, salt, paprika, mustard, garlic pressed

• Like 1

Grilling strip steaks seasoned with montreal steak seasoning on some, salt and pepper on the rest.  Mashed potatoes made with butter and cream, and sweet onions and button mushrooms sauteed in olive oil and a bit of butter.   Cut up seedless watermelon for dessert.   

Edited by tcgram
  • Like 1

From this:

5b44251f57e63_Fritatta1a.jpg.7db445a2cd891f816936d3f71accfa8d.jpg

I made another giant frittata.

• Like 1

5b4426828d122_Fritatta3a.jpg.abc39c1278051ee5727e1993aec03b48.jpg

Harte

• Like 2

I am going to apologize, in advance because I feel lazy tonight and don't want to search the thread...Yorkshire Puddings. I am just about getting them perfect but please throw your recipes at me along with any photos, they are the foundation of a Sunday Lunch.Thank you all in advance x 

• Like 1

Not much for recipes.. but with the new 2nd shift job, some cooking for dinner and lunches..

Today I hard boiled off a half dozen eggs, a few snack packs of summer sausage and cheddar cheese packs, a few carrot sticks and celery packs of snacks.

A pasta salad of about 12 oz of cheese tortellini mixed with half a can of black olives,  one can drained artichoke hearts, fried garlic and butter beans, thin sliced yellow onion, dry Italian herb mix, and a chiffonade of parsley, basil, and lemon basil. Dressed with a goodly spash of red wine vinegar, a drizzle of balsamic vinegar, and a wee bit of pomice oil.

Made a batch of sausage, peppers, and orzo- got a big batch of peppers from the garden. Packed it all off into some freezer packs of future eating.

Roasted off some brussels sprouts in bacon grease and garlic.. about to pull some fish out of the freezer to toss into the oven.

I make my own tartar sauce for fish, don't bother with store stuff. A goodly dollop or two of mayo, some minced dill pickles and some capers (or pickled nasturtium seeds, or both). Some lemon juice or powder, a bit of dill and Old Bay Seasoning... way better to spend the few minutes whipping this up, and it does store well... rather than pay a couple to few bucks of some jar of stuff that sucks.

• Like 2

If you say sausage backwards it sounds like Jesus. Not like it's spelled, but how it sounds.

FYI if you say Jesus backwards, Susej, it doesn't sound like anything other than sausage.

As is, sausage is called a cured meat.

In Acts chapter 10, Peter has a vision. He is on his roof praying, and hungry, and he sees a window open in heaven with all kinds of reptiles, birds, insects and four footed beasts prepared on a blanket, and a voice says, " Take this and eat it Peter." Peter replies, " No, I have never eaten anything unclean in my whole life, please God forbid." This repeats three times and the blanket is withdrawn, and a voice tells Peter, "Do not call unclean which God has made clean."

Peter then wonders about the vision, until 3 gentiles show up who were also having visions to meet Peter.

So, there, I said Grace.

Edited by Opus Magnus

I want to make grilled cheese sandwiches but I don’t have butter :( 

3 hours ago, ImmortalSupernaturalAlien said:

I want to make grilled cheese sandwiches but I don’t have butter :( 

Got any bacon grease?

Harte

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Harte said:

Got any bacon grease?

Harte

Mayonnaise also works.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Harte said:

Got any bacon grease?

Harte

I don’t have bacon either lol

3 hours ago, ImmortalSupernaturalAlien said:

I don’t have bacon either lol

I can't understand how you live under those conditions.

Harte

• Haha 2

12 hours ago, Harte said:

I can't understand how you live under those conditions.

Harte

Must...get....BACON!!!!

• Like 1

I make my own bread everyday. Sometimes I use yeast, sometimes I don't. Not using yeast is a lot easier, and takes like 3 mins to prepare. Flour, water, oil, salt and herbs. Mix it all together, knead it, and throw it in the oven for 15 mins or so. Then, you typically need something to dip it in like vinegar or whatever.

It's a lot healthier and cost efficient to make your own bread.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Another cooking day.. and some leftovers being cooked up :)

I pulled a package of pork chops and mushroom gravy from the freezer and put it in the crock pot to reheat up during the day while I cooked. Seared bone in pork chops slowly simmered in a gravy of cream of mushroom soup, canned mushrooms, and onion soup mix. From frozen I refreshed it with a can of soup and mushrooms and a handful of dried onions to make sure there was enough gravy for dinner... will serve it up with mashed potatoes and tinned whole corn.

For lunches and the freezer is a batch of chili.. ground beef, light and dark kidney and great northern beans, tinned diced tomatoes.. I use a lot of my own home-made tomato powder and chili seasoning mix. Couple big onions diced up and a palmful of dried minced garlic. Brown up the meat a bit, then add in the onions and a goodly tablespoon or so of salt.. let the onions get a bit soft.. then dump in everything else, turn the heat down low, and let simmer for a couple few hours.

Trying a new recipe for snacks.. Breakfast sausage, green chili, and mushroom muffins. It's a savory buttermilk muffin batter with a bit of cayenne and magic dust for spicy flavor, with the rest of the stuff and some cheese mixed in. Sweet and fruity muffins are good too... but wanted some savory ones for my love and I to nosh on. Still writing up the notes from my changes to the original and baking them up now :)

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Opus Magnus said:

What is the magic dust?

It's a homemade spice mix. Based a bit off these recipes, but I adjust the ingredients to our personal tastes. I add to it a lot of dried mushroom powder- the regular kind- to up the umami factor. Some dehydrated clementine flesh and blood orange zest. It's like BBQ mixes and curries and such.. every home has their own version.

https://www.epicurious.com/recipes/member/views/magic-dust-barbecue-rub-50146713

https://www.thespruceeats.com/magic-dust-spice-rub-335886

• Like 1

The mushroom powder.. mighty expensive crap commercially.. but I fudge it cheaper at home.

Around here I can pick up fresh mushrooms of the white button and baby portabella kind fairly regularly for cheap. Pick up other culinary mushrooms on clearance cheap. Run them all through my electric dehydrator. I leave lots of sliced and whole mushrooms for cooking.. and take the time to grind some of it down into a powder too.

• Like 2

Something told me it would have mushrooms in it...

• Like 1

Hubby made garlic parmesan chicken tenders for supper last night.  

• 1 and ¼ pounds boneless skinless chicken tenders
  • ½ cup white flour
  • Salt and Pepper
  • 6 tablespoons olive oil or melted butter
  • 3 teaspoons minced garlic
  • 1 teaspoon dried basil
  • ¼ teaspoon paprika
  • 1 cup Panko
  • ⅔ cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
  1. Trim the fat from the tenders.
  2. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
  3. Set out 3 bowls. Fill one with the white flour, about ¼ teaspoon pepper, & about ½ teaspoon salt. Stir,
  4. Fill the next bowl with the olive oil or butter and minced garlic. Stir.
  5. Place the basil, paprika, Panko, and parmesan cheese in the last. Stir.
  6. Place the tenders in the flour mixture, then the garlic oil, then the panko mixture making sure to evenly and thoroughly coat each piece.
  7. Place the tenders on a cooking sheet and then place in the oven.
  8. Cook for 15 minutes and then flip the tenders and cook for another 5-8 minutes or until the internal temperature of the chicken reaches 165 degrees F
  • Like 2

Chicken cordon bleu  that is baked and has a light crust instead of a heavy breading. 

4 skinless, boneless chicken breasts

1/4 tsp. salt

1/8 tsp. pepper

6 slices Swiss cheese

4 slices black forest ham

1/2 cup seasoned bread crumbs

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C), coat a 7x11 baking dish with nonstick cooking spray

Pound each breast to 1/4 inch thickness

Season each side with salt and pepper.  Place 1 cheese slice and 1 ham slice on top of each breast.  Roll up and place in baking dish, seam side down.  Sprinkle bread crumbs evenly over chicken.  Bake 30-35 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink.  Remove from the over and place 1/2 cheese slice on top of each breast.  Return to oven for 3-5 minutes, or until cheese has melted. 

Serve with your choice of veggies.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 7/28/2018 at 5:57 PM, tcgram said:

Chicken cordon bleu  that is baked and has a light crust instead of a heavy breading. 

4 skinless, boneless chicken breasts

1/4 tsp. salt

1/8 tsp. pepper

6 slices Swiss cheese

4 slices black forest ham

1/2 cup seasoned bread crumbs

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C), coat a 7x11 baking dish with nonstick cooking spray

Pound each breast to 1/4 inch thickness

Season each side with salt and pepper.  Place 1 cheese slice and 1 ham slice on top of each breast.  Roll up and place in baking dish, seam side down.  Sprinkle bread crumbs evenly over chicken.  Bake 30-35 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink.  Remove from the over and place 1/2 cheese slice on top of each breast.  Return to oven for 3-5 minutes, or until cheese has melted. 

Serve with your choice of veggies.  

I have chicken cordon bleu casserole that is extremely tasty, though I have yet to master making it for just 3 people

• Like 1

3 zucchini walnut loaves made with applesauce and sour cream instead of sugar and oil. 1 for work, 1 for home and 1 for my parents.

I am also making baked mac and cheese because it's my son's favourite. I usually use 4 cheese (cheddar, mozzarella, parmigiana and swiss) but I forgot to pick up swiss. I'm almost tempted to use cream cheese.

• Like 3

On 7/29/2018 at 6:31 PM, Daughter of the Nine Moons said:

3 zucchini walnut loaves made with applesauce and sour cream instead of sugar and oil. 1 for work, 1 for home and 1 for my parents.

I am also making baked mac and cheese because it's my son's favourite. I usually use 4 cheese (cheddar, mozzarella, parmigiana and swiss) but I forgot to pick up swiss. I'm almost tempted to use cream cheese.

If I could have liked that twice, I would have. I often sub out the sugar and oil with applesauce and "solid dairy". Sour cream, plain Greek yougurt... hmmmm, I got a tub of kefir yougut cheese and a few ripe zukes that need to be eaten up. I tend to prefer to make up these kinds of loaves into muffins instead. Easier to quick pack lunches for me or grab for a snack for the hubby. He never thinks about slicing up a loaf, lol. How do you prep your zukes? You can use cream cheese- but if you do, loosen it up a bit with a couple tablespoons of the liquid you drain off your zukes.

And muffins.. the test batch I mentioned in my last post... really good. It made a dozen muffins plus I had to quick lube up an individual mini loaf pan instead of prepping a whole nother muffin pan for 1-1/2 muffins worth of mix. Once I get the recipe notes written up in good form, I'll post them here. They stored in the fridge well, have frozen up well. And from the fridge, just 20-25 seconds or so in the nuker warms them up nice.

Today was some peppers. I've started getting in flushes of the various seasoning peppers. So how I have stacked up 7 trays full of 8 kinds of peppers in the dehydrator. I'll run that overnight out in the solarium. Meanwhile, this afternoon I pickled up four pints of hot banana peppers. I had a dozen large lovely peppers to can up. This recipe I can share off the top of my head and notes I do it so often in the summer when the smaller batches of these come in.

4 pint jars- I like to use wide mouth for these because of how tall my small batch canning kettle is, but you can use regular mouth

4 lids and rings

12 or so 7-8 inch long banana peppers- should cut up to fill the 4 pint jars. Stem ends cut off and seeds removed, and sliced into 1/4 inch slices.

For the brine:

3 cups white vinegar

3 cups water

3/4-1 teaspoon ground turmeric. Depends on how fresh/tasty your turmeric is, and how much you like to yellow up your brine.

Per Jar:

2-3 cloves fresh garlic- depends on the size of cloves and how much you like garlic

1 teaspoon canning salt. Yes, canning salt matters, if you use other salt there is weight conversions for that.

1 teaspoon mustard seed

1/2 teaspoon celery seed

1/4-1/2 teaspoon hot pepper flake- depends on how kicky your banana peppers are and how kicky you like them at the end.

Prep your jars. I like to do the old fashioned washing then sterilizing them in my canning pot for 15 min. I also warm my lids in hot water. Have everything ready to pack as soon as you take your jars out of the kettle. Brine should be hot but not actively boiling.

Take your jars out of the water and place onto a towel (non-slip and water absorbant). Fill your jars first with the seasonings per jar, then your peppers, then a few laddle-fulls of liquid to fill jars about 3/4 or more with liquid. Tap jars to shake out any air bubbles. Finish filling with brine, leaving about 1/2 inch headspace.

Wipe rims clean, top with lids and rings till finger tight.

Put jars into kettle, pop lid back on, and set timer for 12 minutes- gives time for the jars+water to come up to proper boil and 10 minute processing time.

Kill heat, and set timer for 5 minutes, leaving lid on kettle. This gives your jars time to temper down a bit.

Pull jars from kettle and let sit for 5-15 minutes- you should hear popping if they didn't already seal in the kettle. As soon as you can handle those jars bare handed- take the rings off the jars and set them aside so the rings and lids can air dry.

Let sit undisturbed overnight to allow for a full cool down and lid popping. Let sit for at least 2 weeks before eating. Store in a cool dark pantry for up to 2-3 years without the rings on. Once opened, keep sealed with a ring on it in the fridge for a week or few.. if it lasts that long.

• Like 2

@rashore I sort of messed up because I originally grated the zukes  for baked zucchini fritters so I was draining them off but I kind of lost the wind out of my sails and thought I would just make the loafs instead. So thinking they would be too dry I added extra applesauce. They were delicious but very moist.  I like the idea so that next time I would switch out the sour cream for Greek yogurt.

I still have a ton of zucchini so I'm going to make some baked fritters but probably not tonight (I'm wiped out) .

I don't have written down recipe but I make them with grated zukes (salted and drained)  with green onions, dill, panko, eggs to bind and feta cheese. Mix together, shape into balls, dust lightly with flour and bake on a parchment lined cookie sheet at 350 turning once. Bake until crispy and golden. My mom's old recipe called for them to be fried but they are far nicer baked

• Like 3