Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

What ya got cooking UM?

rashore

Ok, so today was a cooking day. Made up a bunch of little goyza meatballs from leftover mix- browned off in sesame oil and grapeseed oil. Then braised off on the stove with a bit of rice vinegar, mushroom soy, and water to tender. Used the same pan and added more sesame and grapseed oil, then christened the pan with chunks of unpeeled fresh ginger, a half of a smoked tobago pepper.. then a huge whack of chopped garic and a heap of asparagus beans and some scallions. Making a small batch of rice to go with it- this is for lunches for the work week.

Cooked up a couple pounds of ground beef Mexican style for the freezer to bust out with later. Shucked a bunch of fresh corn for the freezer and to make corn stock with. A traditional meatloaf is in the oven for dinner- will do tater tots and sauteed zukes from the garden for dinner tonight.

And was introduced to a wonderful youtube thing called Pasta Grannies today. It's a lady that records hundreds of grannies making it old school pasta food to document this fabulous food before the makers are gone. Here's a couple vids...

• Like 6

HELP! I am making 2 cheesecakes for a family gathering tomorrow and I'm stuck. Both will be New York style baked cheesecake (cream cheese, sour cream, heavy cream, eggs). The first one I'm making is lime and sweet basil but I don't know what to do for the 2nd. 

These are the possible options:

• frozen strawberries
  • frozen blueberries
  • frozen peaches
  • frozen rhubarb
  • sliced almonds
  • almond extract (ran out of vanilla)
  • limes
  • coconut
  • cranberries (dried and frozen)
  • matcha
  • black sesame
  • ricotta cheese
  • chocolate chips
  • vanilla vodka
  • red wine
  • white wine
  • coffee
  • cayenne pepper
  • cocoa powder 

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, Daughter of the Nine Moons said:

HELP! I am making 2 cheesecakes for a family gathering tomorrow and I'm stuck. Both will be New York style baked cheesecake (cream cheese, sour cream, heavy cream, eggs). The first one I'm making is lime and sweet basil but I don't know what to do for the 2nd. 

My personal favorite - coconut cream cheesecake

KYffalT.jpg?1

• Like 5

That sounds real good but my son vetoed it and I went with matcha instead

• Like 4

I'll be changing my diet soon again as I get more cookware. Spaghetti and rice again. I've missed noodles for sometime as I've sacrificed Ramen a year ago because of the shellfish. I really enjoy rice and the different types of things you can throw in it like sweet potatoes and hot sauce.

Oh yeah, and vegetable stews.

Edited by Opus Magnus
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, Daughter of the Nine Moons said:

Good choice!

I recently tried a layered matcha cheesecake sprinkled with black sesame and it was delicious. The only other matcha cheesecakes I've had are the ones from Uncle Testsu's. They're really good also, but more like souffles than cheesecakes.

• Like 3

20 hours ago, Daughter of the Nine Moons said:

I agree too.. though my vote is too late.

Is it too late to sign up for cheesecake of the month club? I'd be happy to sign up :)

• Like 3

The cheesecakes were a big hit. I was worried that the basil lime would taste too much like pesto but it was surprisingly light and zingy. I think I've found my new favourite flavour.

• Like 5

Egg noodles mixed with onions, mushrooms, braising steak and several OXO cubes.

• Like 2

I made ramen "lasagna". Needs more cheese. But not to shabby for a first attempt. I think it's more like a baked spaghetti than a lasagna.

Edited by XenoFish

Some cooking today..

Made up a batch of tomato sauce.. hot Italian sausage, tinned tomato products, onion, garlic, herbs... low burbled for hours. Some of it will go to the freezer for future use. Some of it will get used for making a batch of cheese and greens filled pasta fresh up in a day or two.

Tonight for dinner is Southern Squash Casserole. I've been tinkering around with this one for a while. It's full of sticks of butter, cream soup, sour cream, stuffing mix and butter crackers, slabs of summer squash/zukes simmer steamed up with mushrooms.. it's a rich plenty in it's original form that can feed 6-8 people with ease that I got down pat. I've been working on cutting the size down to 2-4 people and a lot less of the gratuitous.. well what makes this gratuitous.

Well, the choice today is either a salad and an apple or a thin crust veggie pizza from the farmhouse cafe.

• 2 weeks later...

Made shredded chicken sandwiches with homemade canned chicken, cream of mushroom soup and the broth from said chicken.  Added crushed cracker crumbs and heated through.  :) 

• Like 1

Cabbage and couscous with onions and ham

sautee onions in butter and a teaspoon of sesame oil

dice cabbage and add to pan

add cubed ham

season to taste (i use a steak seasoning and seasoning salt)

add some beef broth allow to simmer for 35-40 minutes

cook couscous per directions then add to pan with cabbage and allow to simmer for 15 minutes

enjoy

• Like 2

We have a family reunion for my husband's side of the family tomorrow so we are going to take black bean salad with corn and red peppers in a lime-cilantro vinaigrette.   

1 15 oz can black beans, drained

3 ears fresh cooked corn, off the cob

2 red bell peppers, diced

2 cloves minced garlic

2-4 tbsp minced sweet onion

2 tbsp sugar

9 tbsp extra virgin olive oil

1-2 tsp lime zest

6 tbsp fresh lime juice

1/2 cup chopped cilantro

Combine all the ingredients in a large bowl.  Cover and chill for a few hours or overnight is better.   Stir before serving and add more cilantro, if desired.  Serve at room temperature with tortilla chips.  

• Like 2

Baked Penne

1 pound penne pasta

2 hot or mild sausage links packages

2 cans fire roasted tomatoes

1 jar of favorite spaghetti sauce.

1 block of muenster cheese grated

1 block of mozzarella cheese grated

Smidgen of olive oil

Cook noodles to aldente, drain set aside.

In pot added olive oil, remove sausage links from casing, chop into large bitesize pieces add to oil and brown, do not drain. Add tomatoes, sauce and noodles. Mix well. Transfer to 9x13 pan. Cover with cheese. Cook on oven at 375 for 30 mins or until cheese is desired brownness.

Side note I cook everything in my cast iron Dutch oven it is wonderful!

Edited by Overdueleaf
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, Overdueleaf said:

Baked Penne

1 pound penne pasta

2 hot or mild sausage links packages

2 cans fire roasted tomatoes

1 jar of favorite spaghetti sauce.

1 block of muenster cheese grated

1 block of mozzarella cheese grated

Smidgen of olive oil

Cook noodles to aldente, drain set aside.

In pot added olive oil, remove sausage links from casing, chop into large bitesize pieces add to oil and brown, do not drain. Add tomatoes, sauce and noodles. Mix well. Transfer to 9x13 pan. Cover with cheese. Cook on oven at 375 for 30 mins or until cheese is desired brownness.

Side note I cook everything in my cast iron Dutch oven it is wonderful!

Just my two cents worth on that penne pasta...

Just pulled off five 1 pound batches of ground beef jerky from the dehydrators. A prepackaged mix, a recipe that comes with the dehydrator, a hot! Cajun, a mellow Asian, and a horseradish, mustard, and beer. All stacked up neat in the fridge for weighing out and tasting.. erm, I mean packaging up :)

Ill post recipes after tasting if anyone is interested.

• Like 3

I am making tater tot casserole for supper tonight.   

Brown and season (salt and pepper) 2 lbs ground beef and drain

In a large baking dish,  add 2 cans each cream of mushroom and cream of chicken soup

Add 1 can of water, mix well.  

To this add whatever frozen veggies you like.  I did mixed veggies tonight

Add shredded cheddar cheese (As much as you like)

Top with frozen tater tots, make sure there are enough on top to touch each other

Place in a 375 degree oven for 45-50 minutes.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, tcgram said:

I am making tater tot casserole for supper tonight.   

Brown and season (salt and pepper) 2 lbs ground beef and drain

In a large baking dish,  add 2 cans each cream of mushroom and cream of chicken soup

Add 1 can of water, mix well.  

To this add whatever frozen veggies you like.  I did mixed veggies tonight

Add shredded cheddar cheese (As much as you like)

Top with frozen tater tots, make sure there are enough on top to touch each other

Place in a 375 degree oven for 45-50 minutes.  

i love tater tot casserole but the boys have their own opinion on it

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Overdueleaf said:

i love tater tot casserole but the boys have their own opinion on it

I don't always put veggies in it, I did tonight and my kids were not happy about it.   I have to admit, some of the veggies were a bit on the tough side so I probably won't add those particular ones again.  

my crew will eventually eat the casserole when there is nothing left in the house...lol but if i were to put veggies in it i would be eating it by myself for the next week.

Kind of like chili, i love dumping, onions and all varieties of peppers in it but when i do that the crew wont eat. I do a bean based chili rather than a tomato base chili. It is nice and thick. Last year we did a chili cook off at the neighbor's down the road, mine won for best chili, every one elses was like bean soup

• Like 1

On 9/7/2018 at 12:23 AM, rashore said:

Just pulled off five 1 pound batches of ground beef jerky from the dehydrators.

Goose makes the best jerky in my book. But I hate bailing grease while roasting them because the oven in my galley is tiny. 

• Like 1

When I make my chicken and rice or chicken and veggie soup I use basil, sage, cumin  for spices. I always add roasted ( so I can peel the skins) red sweet peppers, chunks of garlic, red onions and chunks of hot pork sausage.  

• Like 2