Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

What ya got cooking UM?

rashore

Christmas lunch today. Not for a large group so is going to be nice and easy. It is very, very hot so will just be a BBQ today. Got plenty of meat. Will make a bunch of salads. A big batch of burgers, Making some honey, soy chicken skewers, some ginger, chilli and lime prawn skewers (Cause it isn't really an Aussie BBQ without chucking a shrimp on the Barbie) some nice pork, apple, and fennel sausages. And some lovely little pork scotch fillets with a bush plum marinade.

Just a small extended family affair so no stress. Is the first XMas day I haven't worked in at least 8 years.

Happy Non-Denominational Holidays guys. 

• Like 2

Very relaxing 3 day vaca for the holiday, and since I spent the first two days really being lazy eating what other folks made or gifted me with... today is a cooking day.

Steamed off a dozen hard boiled eggs for lunches and snacks for the work week. Sometimes I like to leave them whole, slice them to add to a salad, split in half and sprinkle with seasonings as sort of a dry deviled egg.

A couple of dishes. Pulled out some whole tomatoes and unshucked sweet corn from the freezer. So six pounds of tomatoes defrosting in the fridge to make up a batch of canning salsa with. Couple tomatoes to add to one of the dishes. Five ears of corn.. Had a few sweet potatoes that needed baking up.

So I rolled the sweet potatoes and frozen ears of foil and popped them into a 400F/205C oven for about an 75 min. Killed the heat and let sit for 15 min, then pulled from the oven to cool on the counter. The sweet potatoes will cool down and get tossed into the fridge for another day.

The corn is getting shucked, cut off the cobs, and going into a dish of corn, pigeon peas, and rice, seasoned up Cajun style. I was going to go for a more traditional Jamaican/Jerk kind of thing, but realized I had no coconut milk in the house and too lazy to run to town for just that. So this version it is :)

The other dish is a couscous scampi style with shrimp, tomatoes, and artichoke hearts.

• Like 2

Xeno's Cheap Nacho's

1 Bag Doritos (any flavor you'd like)

1 Can Chili (any kind that you like)

1 Container of Frito cheese dip (jalapeno works best)

Chili Power to flavor (optional)

Hot Sauce (whatever you like to flavor)

Cook the chili as instructed. Add a spoon of cheese (or however much you like) to the chili. Add in chili powder and hot sauce as you see fit. 

Either dip the chip in the chili cheese mix or pour them over the chip. You can switch the chip for fries if you're wanting chili cheese fries.

• Like 1

On 12/24/2018 at 12:07 PM, tcgram said:

My fave recipe for tomato soup

3 tablespoons good olive oil

3 cups yellow onions, chopped (2 onions)

1 tablespoon minced garlic (3 cloves)

4 cups chicken stock, preferably homemade

1 (28-ounce) can crushed tomatoes, preferably San Marzano

Large pinch of tumeric

1/2 cup heavy cream

Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper

In a large pot or Dutch oven, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onions and cook over medium-low heat for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally, until golden brown. Add the garlic and cook for 1 more minute. Stir in the chicken stock, tomatoes, tumeric,  1 tablespoon salt and 1 teaspoon pepper. Bring the soup to a boil, then lower the heat and simmer for 15 minutes. Stir in the cream, return the soup to a simmer and cook for 10 more minutes, stirring frequently.   I prefer a smoother soup so I put it in the blender after cooking.  

I think I might try this one today,it sounds lovely

• Like 1

cooked chili tonight.. it was thick and amazing. Now my household will not eat the good stuff like peppers and onions...but i have managed to make a pretty good pot of chili regardless. We eat this for two days and sometimes have some left over to can..so it makes a big pot

In a dutch oven brown 2.25 pounds of ground chuck, drain well

mix in 1 can refried beans 2 packets of favorite chili seasoning, 2 cans of chili tomatoes, 1/2 small can of chipotle salsa, 1 small can of salsa verde, 2 cans of chili beans, 1 can drained black beans, 1 can drained kidney beans of choice.. let simmer on low for as long as you please. 

• Like 1

Sticky Vietnamese Style Caramelized chicken.

You can lower the amount of lemon grass and or chilli if you want.

First brown off 6 big chicken thigh fillets in a nice hot wok or pan. You want them to be well browned but not cooked through. So you want the wok to be very hot.

Transfer the chicken to a plate. 

Put a couple cloves of finely sliced garlic, a stalk of lemongrass (White part) sliced as fine as you can, and a long red chilli sliced nice and fine.

Cook for a couple of minutes until it smells amazing. Then add a couple of tablespoons of brown sugar, 2 tablespoon of Kecapmanis(Thickened Soy Sauce), 1 table spoon of fish sauce and one of lime juice, and a tablespoon of water.

Give it a good stir and bring it to a boil. Let it thicken and brown for a little. Then return the chicken to the pan. Cover and cook until chicken is cooked through.

Serve it with steamed rice and steamed Asian greens.

One of my favourite meals.

Easy as can be, ready in 30 minutes. 

• Like 3

I roasted a turkey New Years day, mostly because I wanted leftovers. I used the carcass for my stock the same night, letting it cool over night. Yesterday was straight leftovers for dinner mostly because I was too tired after work. Tonight I divided the stock, freezing some and using some to make my 'after the feast' turkey rice soup. Turkey, celery, carrots, onions, red peppers, leftover mashed  potato and butternut squash, corn and Italian short grained rice. Salt, pepper, bay leaves and a little hot pepper sauce..

I also used turkey and the same mix of vegetables (sans rice) to make a turkey pot pie with a cheddar cheese biscuit crust. I'm really proud of how that turned out.. (going to switch to phone to upload a picture)

IMG_20190103_194149.jpg

Edited by Daughter of the Nine Moons
  • Like 3

I dragged my sick, sorry butt on to tell you that I made this tonight and it was delicious and warm and comforting and now I'm going to bed with a box of Kleenex

5 minutes ago, Daughter of the Nine Moons said:

I dragged my sick, sorry butt on to tell you that I made this tonight and it was delicious and warm and comforting and now I'm going to bed with a box of Kleenex

Yay that you liked the soup but boo on being sick.  Feel better!   

• Thanks 1

Enchiladas. It's cold and I wanted to make something for tonight and to pop into the freezer for future lunches.

Made dinner tonight of 3 each of a spinach, bean, jalapeno, onion, mushroom, and cheese, and a taco meat, bean, onion in one big dish. Prepped up 3 more of the spinach and 8 more of the meat ones to use up a full batch of fillings, sauce, and cheese in individual containers for the freezer for future eating.

Used small flour tortillias, a couple quarts of sauce, one can of pinto beans rinsed and drained, a goodly pound of taco meat, a few cups of shredded cheese, a generous cup of frozen spinach with a small slab of cream cheese mixed in, a couple small and potent yellow onions diced up and used raw, and many jalapeno sliced distributed all around.

• Like 2

i am not a baker, but decided on making fudge pies for a countryhood get together. Used grandmother's recipe. simple and easy yet delicious

1 stick melted butter, 1/4 cup baking coco, 1/4 cup flour, 1 cup sugar, 2 eggs, tsp vanilla. mix ingedients well and bake in favorite pie cust at 350F for 35 minutes. 

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Overdueleaf said:

i am not a baker, but decided on making fudge pies for a countryhood get together. Used grandmother's recipe. simple and easy yet delicious

1 stick melted butter, 1/4 cup baking coco, 1/4 cup flour, 1 cup sugar, 2 eggs, tsp vanilla. mix ingedients well and bake in favorite pie cust at 350F for 35 minutes. 

Sounds like my recipe except I use 1/4 tsp vanilla and bake for 25-30 mins.   One of our favorites!   

Edited by tcgram
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

creamy sausage tortellini soup 

1 onion chopped

1 shallot chopped

3 garlic cloves chopped

2-3 large carrots chopped

1 pound italian sausage

5 cups chicken stock

3 chicken boullion cubes

18 oz package fresh tortellini

2 cups half and half

3 cups chopped spinach

salt, pepper, red pepper flake to taste

1/4 cup flour

sautee onion, shallot, carrots, garlic in butter and olive oil . add sausage and cook thoroughly. add flour mix well. add chicken stock and boullion and simmer for 5minutes. add tortellini and simmer for 10 minutes. Add half and half and spinach. Simmer 10 minutes season to taste

• Like 1

I had picked up almond flour and splenda baking mix white and brown sugar last time i was at the store and decided to make chocolate chip cookies tonight. The almond flour was expensive  so this wont be a regular tihng, but they cookies didnt turn out half bad. Even the non diabetics enjoyed the cookies. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Overdueleaf said:

I had picked up almond flour and splenda baking mix white and brown sugar last time i was at the store and decided to make chocolate chip cookies tonight. The almond flour was expensive  so this wont be a regular tihng, but they cookies didnt turn out half bad. Even the non diabetics enjoyed the cookies. 

With Splenda, it really helps to add just a little sugar, honey, even maple or corn syrup. Just a little. I usually put maybe a tablespoon or two of honey - no more.

Makes quite a difference.

Harte

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Making pork carnitas for supper tonight.

1/4 c. vegetable oil

4 pounds pork shoulder, cut into several large pieces

3 tbsp kosher salt

1 onion, chopped

1 clove garlic, crushed

3 tbsp lime juice

1 tbsp chili powder

1/2 tsp dried oregano

1/2 tsp ground cumin

4 (14.5 oz) cans chicken broth (I prefer to use our homemade ones)  

Heat the vegetable oil in a large Dutch oven over high heat. Season the pork shoulder with salt, then arrange the pork in the Dutch oven. Cook until browned on all sides, about 10 minutes. Add the onion, garlic, lime juice, chili powder, oregano, and cumin. Pour in the chicken broth, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and continue to simmer until pork is very tender, about 2 1/2 hours.  Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.  Transfer the pork shoulder to a large baking sheet, reserving the cooking liquid. Drizzle with a small amount of the reserved cooking liquid and lightly season with salt. Bake the pork in the preheated oven until browned, about 30 minutes. Drizzle more of the cooking liquid on the meat every 10 minutes, and use two forks to shred the meat as it browns. 

I served it on warm tortillas with lime wedges, sliced red onion and fresh chopped cilantro.   I also make an asian/mexican slaw to go on top.   It's coleslaw mix, asian sesame dressing, chopped cilantro and red onion to taste.   

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

New recipe tonight:   Chicken Stew.   

2 tbsp butter
large carrots, peeled and sliced into coins
stalk celery, chopped
Kosher salt
Freshly ground black pepper
cloves garlic, minced
1 tbsp. all-purpose flour
1 1/2 lb. boneless skinless chicken breasts
sprigs fresh thyme
bay leaf
3/4 lb. baby potatoes, quartered
3 c. Chicken broth
Freshly chopped parsley, for garnish

In a large pot over medium heat, melt butter. Add carrots and celery and season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring often, until the vegetables are tender, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.

Add flour and stir until the vegetables are coated, then add chicken, thyme, bay leaf, potatoes, and broth. Season with salt and pepper. Bring mixture to a simmer and cook until the chicken is no longer pink and the potatoes are tender, 15 min.

Remove chicken from pot and transfer to a medium bowl. Using two forks, shred the chicken into small pieces, return to pot. 

Garnish with parsley before serving.

• Like 1

Ground venison mixed with jasmine rice and roasted red peppers with ground ginger, chopped garlic, cumin and basil wrapped in nori.

Algonquian sushi. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Piney said:

Ground venison mixed with jasmine rice and roasted red peppers with ground ginger, chopped garlic, cumin and basil wrapped in nori.

Algonquian sushi. 

Sounds frickin awesome!

• Thanks 1

1 box jumbo shells

tomorrow i am cooking my version of stuffed shells.

1 lb italian sausage

1 brick cream cheese

1 small tub whole milk ricotta cheese

32 ounces mozerrella hand shredded

1 1/2 cup shredded parmesean cheese 

1 egg

seasonings are to taste

parsley, garlic powder, pepper, salt, italian seasoning

24 ounces favorite tomato sauce, 1 can diced tomatoes (olive oil garlice oregeno)

brown and drain sausage, set aside. In large bowl mix cheeses (16 ounces of mozzerella) and egg well, season to taste. Add in sausage, mix well.

Combine sauce and tomatoes mix well. Coat 13 x 9 pan with mixture

Stuff the shells with sausage and cheese mixture and place in pan

once pan is full top with remaining sauce generously. top with remaininf mozzerella

Bake at 350 for 45 minutes

3 tablespoons good olive oil

3 cups yellow onions, chopped (2 onions)

1 tablespoon minced garlic (3 cloves)

4 cups chicken stock, preferably homemade

1 (28-ounce) can crushed tomatoes, preferably San Marzano

Large pinch of tumeric

1/2 cup heavy cream

Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper

In a large pot or Dutch oven, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onions and cook over medium-low heat for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally, until golden brown. Add the garlic and cook for 1 more minute. Stir in the chicken stock, tomatoes, tumeric,  1 tablespoon salt and 1 teaspoon pepper. Bring the soup to a boil, then lower the heat and simmer for 15 minutes. Stir in the cream, return the soup to a simmer and cook for 10 more minutes, stirring frequently.   I prefer a smoother soup so I put it in the blender after cooking.  

cooked this for my mother today for lunch, was so delicious. Thank you tc.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Overdueleaf said:

cooked this for my mother today for lunch, was so delicious. Thank you tc.

I've made it twice and I love it too.

• Like 2

You are both welcome.  Glad you enjoyed it.    :)

• Like 2

made zuppa tusona for the first time and it was amazing. I cooked this in my dutch oven. 

1 lb italian sausage

8 oz bacon

1 large onion chopped

3 cloves of fresh garlic (or to taste)

1/4 cup flour

fennel, salt, pepper to taste

6 cups of chicken stock

4 med-large russet potatoes (sliced thin and quartered)

half a bunch of kale

cup of half and half

Brown italian sausage remove from pan and drain on paper towels. In sausage drippings cook bacon, about half way through add onion, garlic and some fennel until fragrant. When bacon and onions are cooked add in flour and mix well. Add chicken stock mix well simmer for 10 minutes. Add potatoes let simmer 10 minutes then add kale (if not enough add more to your liking). Simmer for 5 -10 minutes (check potatoes frequently until tender) Once potaotes are done add half and half. mix well. Salt and pepper to taste. (i found I needed very little) I added more fennel at the end but do this to your liking as not everyone likes a strong fennel flavor. 

It goes great with a crusty dipping bread

• Like 1