Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

What ya got cooking UM?

rashore

31 minutes ago, Overdueleaf said:

made zuppa tusona for the first time and it was amazing. I cooked this in my dutch oven. 

1 lb italian sausage

8 oz bacon

1 large onion chopped

3 cloves of fresh garlic (or to taste)

1/4 cup flour

fennel, salt, pepper to taste

6 cups of chicken stock

4 med-large russet potatoes (sliced thin and quartered)

half a bunch of kale

cup of half and half

Brown italian sausage remove from pan and drain on paper towels. In sausage drippings cook bacon, about half way through add onion, garlic and some fennel until fragrant. When bacon and onions are cooked add in flour and mix well. Add chicken stock mix well simmer for 10 minutes. Add potatoes let simmer 10 minutes then add kale (if not enough add more to your liking). Simmer for 5 -10 minutes (check potatoes frequently until tender) Once potaotes are done add half and half. mix well. Salt and pepper to taste. (i found I needed very little) I added more fennel at the end but do this to your liking as not everyone likes a strong fennel flavor. 

It goes great with a crusty dipping bread

That sounds fantastic, overdueleaf. 

Umm.. what is "half and half" ? 

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, RoofGardener said:

That sounds fantastic, overdueleaf. 

Umm.. what is "half and half" ? 

it is a half cream half milk concotion. Not quite as heavy as full cream but thicker and creamier than milk

5 hours ago, Overdueleaf said:

it is a half cream half milk concotion. Not quite as heavy as full cream but thicker and creamier than milk

Oooh right.. never heard of it before. 

A childhood favourite...braised chicken and pasta. (we called it kokkinisto)

2 tablespoons olive oil

1 onion, chopped

chicken legs and thighs

1 can marzano tomatoes

1 tsp tomato paste

2 bay leaves

1 pinch ground cloves

1 pinch cinnamon

salt and pepper to taste

Saute onion in olive oil, then season and brown chicken.  Stir in tomato paste, tomatoes (should just cover chicken). Add bay leaves, cinnamon and cloves then simmer until chicken is falling off bone.

Serve over your favourite pasta with crumbled feta cheese on top

• Like 2

Country fried steak, mashed taters & gravy, cheddar bay biscuits and green beans.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, SecretSanta said:

Country fried steak, mashed taters & gravy, cheddar bay biscuits and green beans.

Dang, this was supposed to be in another thread. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Butter chicken (jar sauce), naan (store brought could have made own but couldn’t be bothered), green beans and white rice. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Baked up some Hawaiian sweet bread with cream cheese crescent rolls and steamed up a batch of hard boiled eggs for lunches this week. Otherwise it was kind of a cast iron cooking night.. The oven on for 350F/175C  the whole time.

Appetizer of mushrooms stuffed with ham and spinach. Used the 7-spot abelskiever pan- I had 7 big beautiful button mushrooms I got with a free coupon from a local store. Clean the stems out of your mushrooms and set aside for the brussels sprouts. A tiny dot of butter in the bottom of each spot, then put the caps stem side down into the cups. Brush lightly with oil and a sprinkle of salt. Bake for 8 minutes, flip so the stem side is face up, then bake for another 5 min. Pull out of oven, cover, and set aside to cool a bit for filling.

For filling: 2-3ish+ oz or so cream cheese, softened. I started off with 4 oz, but used a bit less than half of it smearing into the some crescent rolls. Added to the cheese bout a half cup or so frozen spinach, defrosted and liquid pressed out. 2-3 slices deli ham minced up. A sprinkling of adobo seasoning and white pepper. Stuff the caps and bake off for 5-8 min, till hot.

Herb and garlic marinated pork loin- prepackaged. Got the 10" cast iron grill skillet nice and hot, rubbed it with oil, and got some "beauty marks" seared into the meat on one side. Reoil the pan, then repeat. As soon as you lay down the meat for it's last sear line, kill the heat, cover with cast iron lid, and pop into the oven for 25-30ish minutes per pound. Since it's in cast iron, I tend to pull it between 160/165F-70/74C internal temp. A bit shy of max isn't bad because the cast iron carry overs cooking a LOT. Anywho, temp out and pull out to let rest while other stuff is finishing up.

Roasted brussels sprouts. Regular 10 inch cast iron skillet for this one. About 2 pounds of sprouts, trimmed and halved. The stems from the stuffing mushrooms, coarsely chopped. And a small yellow onion, coarsely chopped. A goodly tablespoon of fat, preferably bacon grease, in the pan. And a cup of stock- I like to use a bit of chicken and a spoon of veggie powder I make, but whatever you got is good. You won't use it all here, some of it goes into the stuffing.

Melt your bacon grease in the pan, then kill the heat, let cool a bit, then make sure the entire bottom of the pan is well coated. If you use oil instead, just make sure the whole bottom of pan is coated. Then lay in the sprouts face side down. Yes, it is nice to do this to get some even browning on the cut sides and seal them up. Heat the pan to sizzling hot, then let sit for 2-3 minutes to get browning on the sprouts. Sprinkle on your chopped mushrooms and onions, a bit of salt and pepper, give a good stir then let sit for another 2-3 minutes. Give a good stir, add in about half of the stock (make sure it's piping hot), cover, then pop into the oven for 10 min or so, till tender.

With the other half of the stock, still piping hot- I have a package or two of seasoned bread cubes that need eating up, so I took a couple cups and a generous tablespoon of butter diced up, stirred it up with the bread cubes, and popped into the oven to get all nice and not while everything else finished off. Into a glass covered baker for this.

After pulling your pork out of the pan for slicing and serving off your mushrooms- pour any liquids you might have from those pans together and serve up au jus or thicken however you might like. Serve up as drippings for any smothering :)

• Like 2

doing pulled pork tomorrow for dinner as well as cole slaw.... here is the recipe I use

Ingredients
8 c. cabbage, finely chopped
1/4 c. carrot, shredded
Dressing:
1/2 c. mayonnaise
1/4 c. buttermilk
1 1/2 tsp. white vinegar
2 1/2 tsp. lemon juice
1/3 c. sugar
1/2 tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. ground black pepper
1/4 c. milk
2 tbsp minced onion
  • Like 1

on my days off I like to get up and get first shift workers out the door and greet the third shift worker of the house when he comes home with home cooked food.

Tonight I made a batch of brown sugar glazed french toast bagged some up for easy warming in the morning and froze 5 servings for them to grab on the mornings I am asleep.

I used a loaf of texas toast

batter

6 farm fresh eggs

3 cups milk

2 tsp real vanilla

cinnamon, allspice, ground cloves to taste

1/2 cup sugar

mix well

Butter mixture

1 stick of softened butter

1/4-1/3 cup brown sugar

cinnamon, allspice, ground cloves   mix well

dip bread in batter cook one side until browned, flip and spread butter mixture on, flip again and let sugar carmalize (about a minute and a half to two minutes on medium heat)

eat hot or let cool and package and freeze for later time. 

• Like 1

We had breakfast for supper tonight.   I toasted a plain bagel, made some turkey sausage patties to go on it.   I put plain low fat cream cheese on the bagel, added sharp cheddar cheese and the sausage.   Hubby made me an over medium egg which I put on top.  Very messy but good.  :) 

• Like 3

Sauted chopped red bell peppers, onions, garlic, kale, spinach, black beans, black eyed peas and some carrots with cumin, ginger, honey and a touch of lemon juice in olive oil.  I add cayenne too but it's not needed. Stir in precooked jasmine rice. 

Top with..........

..........@Cloud7..............

FRESH GOAT CHEESE!!!!! SWEET SOFT GOAT CHEESE!!! AWESOME GOAT CHEESE!!!! :clap:

....a dab of sour cream on top is also good.  :yes:

Edited by Piney
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Tried a new recipe for Broccoli Cheese Soup last night.   Started out with a copycat recipe from Panera but then ended up tweaking it as I made it so here's my version.

Broccoli Cheese Soup

1 tablespoon melted butter

1 ⁄2 medium chopped onion

1 ⁄4 cup melted butter

1 ⁄4 cup flour

3 cups heavy cream

2 cups chicken stock

6 oz frozen broccoli florets (thawed and chopped into bite sized pieces)   

1 cup carrot, shredded

1 ⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg

12 ounces grated sharp cheddar cheese

salt and pepper

crusty bread or bread bowl

1 cup milk ( I used 1% to help cut down some of the richness from the cream)  

Sauté onion in butter, Season with salt and pepper. Set aside.

Cook melted butter and flour using a whisk over medium heat for 3-5 minutes or until you see a noticeable golden brown color in your pan.

Slowly add in the chicken stock and whisk again to combine.  Check for seasoning. Simmer contents covered (stirring occasionally) for 20 minutes on medium heat.

Add the broccoli, carrots and the sauteed onions, into the pot. Cook covered over medium low heat 20-25 minutes.

Add milk, cream, salt, pepper & nutmeg.  Note: you can purée half of your soup in a blender or with a handheld immersion blender if you choose however it isn't a requirement. Turn off heat and slowly add the grated cheese a handful at a time and stir to avoid clumps. Once all the cheese has melted,  serve immediately. Suggestion: serve with crusty bread or in a bread bowl .

• Like 3

23 hours ago, Piney said:

FRESH GOAT CHEESE!!!!! SWEET SOFT GOAT CHEESE!!! AWESOME GOAT CHEESE!!!! :clap:

Piney I LOVE goat cheese as well. One of the animals I will be getting for the homestead will be milk goats for milk and cheese making. I have heard that yogurt can be made from goats milk and would love to give it a try. A few years ago I was on my way to milking my goats but family issues arose and I sadly had to find new/good homes for the goats. I miss them everyday and look forward to when I am able to have them again, they are lovely quirky animals. 

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Overdueleaf said:

Piney I LOVE goat cheese as well. One of the animals I will be getting for the homestead will be milk goats for milk and cheese making. I have heard that yogurt can be made from goats milk and would love to give it a try. A few years ago I was on my way to milking my goats but family issues arose and I sadly had to find new/good homes for the goats. I miss them everyday and look forward to when I am able to have them again, they are lovely quirky animals. 

Goat yogurt is the thickest creamiest yogurt you will ever taste. I squeeze it in cheesecloth until it's almost like soft cheese then add real vanilla extract and clover honey. 

:yes:

• Like 2

@Piney, that sounds just amazing. I start and end each day with a light greek yogurt as it has less carbs and sugars in it than normal yogurt(diabetic here). I am hoping that when i get around to mkaing it myself I can control everything that goes into it making it better for me. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Overdueleaf said:

@Piney, that sounds just amazing. I start and end each day with a light greek yogurt as it has less carbs and sugars in it than normal yogurt(diabetic here). I am hoping that when i get around to mkaing it myself I can control everything that goes into it making it better for me. 

I was told to only eat full fat unflavored yogurt by my doctor. My stepsister says non-fat flavored yogurt is no good too. 

So I pour honey on top or add  semi-sweet dark chocolate. :lol:

My stepmom raises goats in Nebraska. When she comes for her fresh seafood she brings all her goat products. It doesn't last long because I'm a cheese head. :yes:

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Piney said:

I was told to only eat full fat unflavored yogurt by my doctor. My stepsister says non-fat flavored yogurt is no good too. 

So I pour honey on top or add  semi-sweet dark chocolate. :lol:

My stepmom raises goats in Nebraska. When she comes for her fresh seafood she brings all her goat products. It doesn't last long because I'm a cheese head. :yes:

Ask her to make a pit stop in mid/south Ohio...lol 

I plan on creating a line of goods for farmers markets from goats milk, including soaps and lotions. 

What type of goats does she raise? I had nubians but read that the nigerian dwarfs have a higher butterfat content. 

I would love to talk with someone that raises goats and creates their own goats milk products. Do you think she would be up to some conversations on goats? 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Overdueleaf said:

What type of goats does she raise? I had nubians but read that the nigerian dwarfs have a higher butterfat content. 

Nubians, some sort of meat goat and some sort of pygmy goat....... :yes:

.....Ask me a horse question I'll answer you all day as for paying attention to any other livestock?  Never did, except to fix the fences. :lol:

• Like 1

@PineyHorses are down on my list of animals to get for the homestead, UNLESS I win the lotto and can afford enough land that would warrant the use of a horse..lol. But I will definitely keep you in mind if i ever go the horse route. 

Edited by Overdueleaf
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Piney said:

Goat yogurt is the thickest creamiest yogurt you will ever taste. I squeeze it in cheesecloth until it's almost like soft cheese then add real vanilla extract and clover honey. 

:yes:

My grandmother raised goats and while I liked the homemade yogurt and soft fresh goat's cheese, I couldn't handle drinking goats milk.

• Like 2