Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

What ya got cooking UM?

rashore

I have some Italian friends from the old country who hunt wild rabbits, and they always offer me what they have shot. They usually bring  one or two rabbits already skinned and cut up. The other day they brought one big one, and they also directed me to a good recipe on youtube. I tried it.

The video is in Italian, but was still able to follow it visually. Rabbit alla Cacciatore, with olives.

• Like 2

Got an instant pot recently, and trying out stuff.

Anyone else have an instant pot an have a recipe or few to share?

• Like 2

Chinese.

8 minutes ago, rashore said:

What Chinese dishes are you cooking?

Sweet and Sour Chicken and General Tso's with a side of noodles. 

• Like 3

Home made pizza with tomato sauce from fresh tomatoes from the garden.  (pinaple and ham). 

• Like 2

Breakfast.

• Like 1

Cornish Hens.

• Like 1

Curried Sausages (good not cheap off cuts), mashed potatoes, onion and peas

• Like 3

Chicken Chilli.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Man, folks keep just dropping one liners like this is the what's for dinner thread... How are folks cooking things, what are your recipes/notes? Gosh.

I got a few very nice pie pumpkins and a few winter squashes over the weekend- it's that time of year for it. Tonight I'm tinkering with a soup.

So I tossed a pie pumpkin into the instant pot on a trivet and a bit of water in the bottom.. cooked for 13 min, left to depressure natural... then cut in half, scoop seeds, scoop flesh from shell. About 4 cupsish? of flesh.

I'm burbling up a wild rice mix- 1 c rice, 3/4 c water, and a smidge of bacon grease. IF I add fat to rice, which is usually only when cooking longer timed ones like wild rices can be... I tend to let the rice burble for about half the time, and then stir in my smidge of fat- this allows the rice to suck up more water early, fat flavor soaks into rice in second half- and the bit of fat then can help grease the pan to help prevent sticking if using SS like I do :)

Rinsed and drained a 15 oz can of chickpeas... they got sizzled off in some sesame oil to give them some crispy browning, and finished them off with a few goodly pinches of Za'atar off the heat.

I'm gonna sweat some yellow onion in a couple tablespoons of roasted garlic compound butter. Toss in about half the rice to let it go from water cooked to a bit more roasty. Add in about half of the squash and quarter of the chick peas (I want to reserve more for topdressing than mix more into the soup).... then thin out with a couple cubes of turkey demi-glace dissolved in a cup or so of water. Let simmer for a few and see if/where more of any of those things are needed more. Likely will need more liquid, but then squash flesh can give up a LOT of tasty liquid too.

I think in the flavorings is gonna be cumin, Indio oregano, maybe some roasted ginger powder, probably a wee dollop of molasses and maybe a pinch of sumac. Possibly a finishing acid hit of either pineapple vinegar or rum balsamic depending on how the soup goes :) It might even want for a splash of lime or lemon juice at the end instead.

Monday I made a 12 pint batch of garlic salsa with 5 lb tomatoes, 1-1/2 c onion, 1 c sweet peppers, 1/4 c fresh garlic and 3 oz dried minced garlic, 2 hot peppers ( I used Fresno this time)... couple tablespoons each minced from frozen bunch cilantro and dried Mexican oregano, a goodly tablespoon each toasted ground cumin and pickling salt. Brine was mostly white vinegar, with a goodly dose of lemon juice, and a couple tablespoons each of lime juice and pineapple vinegar, about 2 cups total liquid.

• Like 2

On 8/10/2019 at 3:03 PM, rashore said:

We put chicken breasts, onions and peppers in the instapot, laid fresh slices of tomatoes on top with oregano, garlic and a bit of salt.  When it was cooked (30-40 mins) we put a breast on white rice and sprinkled with cheese...so yummy!

Also made Swiss Steaks in it, amazingly tender!

• Like 4

I had bought a bunch of fresh herbs, so I thought I would try something a little different.  I put thyme, rosemary, garlic cloves, a bit of salt and olive oil in my magic bullet.  After it was whipped up fully, I put it on chicken legs and thighs to bake covered in the oven.  It was thicker than I wanted, so I added some water to get the juices soaking into the chicken.   We made garlic mashed potatoes and steamed butternut squash to go with the chicken, but I decided to make a gravy from the drippings.  It was so good!   Love fresh herbs!

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Pork Roast with Potatoes, Carrots, and White Rice with Gravy.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Scholar4Truth said:

Pork Roast with Potatoes, Carrots, and White Rice with Gravy.

And how did you cook that up? You regularly just post a What's for Dinner? here and leave out the whole cooking part. Stop it. Just teases us with good food titles and nothing to cook up.

• Like 1

Any good variation on the standard lasagna?

59 minutes ago, Jenn8779 said:

How about Chicken Skillet Lasagna?

12 ounces, weight Bowtie Pasta, Cooked According To Package Instructions And Drained

2 Tablespoons Olive Oil

2 whole Boneless, Skinless Chicken Breasts, Sliced Or Diced

1 Tablespoon Italian Seasoning Or Herbes De Provence

Salt To Taste

1 whole Medium Onion, Diced

2 cloves Garlic, Minced

1 cup Low Sodium Chicken Broth

1 jar Good Quality Marinara Sauce, 14-16 Ounce Size

1 teaspoon Red Pepper Flakes

1/2 cup Whole Milk Ricotta Cheese

1 cup Grated Mozzarella Cheese

1/4 cup Grated Parmesan

12 whole Basil Leaves, Chiffonade Or Chopped:

Extra Cheeses And Basil, For Serving

Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Season chicken with salt and herbs. Add chicken to the skillet and cook until golden brown. Remove the chicken to a plate.

Add onions and garlic to the same skillet and cook, stirring, for 3 minutes. Add broth, then scrape the bottom of the skillet to loosen the bits. Cook for another 2-3 minutes to let the broth reduce.

Add marinara sauce and red pepper flakes, then simmer for 10 minutes.

Turn off the heat and add the cooked and drained pasta, ricotta, mozzarella, Parmesan, and basil. Add the cooked chicken on top. Toss to combine, then add more of any of the above ingredients until the sauce is just how you like it.

Serve with a sprinkling of Parmesan and a little basil on top.

• Like 1

On 8/10/2019 at 6:03 PM, rashore said:

Instant Pot Chicken and Potatoes

4 boneless skinless chicken breasts

2 pounds baby red or gold potatoes

3 tablespoons olive oil

1 1/2 teaspoons salt or to taste

1/2 teaspoon pepper or to taste

1 teaspoon garlic powder

1 teaspoon dried thyme

1/2 teaspoon dried basil

1/2 teaspoon dried oregano

2 tablespoons + 2 teaspoons dry Ranch seasoning divided

1 cup chicken broth

3 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese

In a large bowl toss chicken and potatoes in the olive oil, then season with salt and pepper. Stir together garlic powder, thyme, basil, oregano, and 2 tablespoons of the Ranch seasoning. Sprinkle over the chicken and potatoes, tossing to distribute the ingredients as evenly as possible.

Add chicken broth to the instant pot/pressure cooker, then place chicken in the broth, and top with the potatoes. Place the lid on in the locked position and turn the vent to the sealed position. Set pressure cooker to "pressure cook" for 15 minutes.

Once the cook time is finished, do a "quick release" by turning the vent to the venting position. Once float valve has dropped, remove the lid. Drain the pressure cooker or use a slotted spoon to transfer chicken and potatoes to a large platter.

Sprinkle with Ranch seasoning and parmesan cheese and garnish with chopped thyme or parsley if desired before serving.  This is one of our fave dishes!  

• Like 2

I am making my own homemade French Bread Pizza. Buy some fresh French Bread from the bakery, all the toppings you want one it. I prefer Pepperoni, Cheese and maybe some Green Peppers. Also use Ragu Sauce preferably. Put it on the bread and bake until desired. It's way better the going to Pizza Hut it taste better and is cheaper. 

• Like 3

On 9/26/2019 at 7:23 PM, Jenn8779 said:

You can use a bechamel or alfredo sauce instead of a red sauce- then you can use chicken, artichokes, asparagus, or spinach. White beans like cannelli can be good, but not everyone likes beans. You can also layer red and white sauces if you like.

If you like mushrooms, grilled or seared portabella slices layer in nicely. Blanched and shocked summer squash slices or eggplant can be good. Or roasted sweet peppers. A layer or two of mashed or diced sweet potatoes, winter squash, or even riced cauliflower can play well with either a white or a red sauce. Green or black olives or pickled pepperoncini can be a fun add-in.

If ya got meat lovers, try some bacon or prosciutto in your red sauce. Or sliced up cased sausage like a tomato-basil or other Italian. Sliced up Italian seasoned meatloaf or halved/quartered meatballs are gratuitous too. 

You can get fussy and make your lasagna in rolls instead of layers. Make sure you sauce the bottom of the pan as well as the top of the rolls.

You can change out the flavors, and go more Greek with Pastitsio and use bechamel, lamb, eggplant and penne instead of lasagna noodles.

If there are any pizza combos/flavors you really like, you can layer those on up in a lasagna too.

Some folks like shredded cheeses, others like stuff like ground parmesan. Some use ricotta, marscapone.. others add in small curd cottage cheese or cream cheese... Some folks even like to dice up hard boiled eggs and mix that into the cheeses or layer it into the lasagna. Low or no-fat plain Greek yogurt strained has made an appearance in the dairy action as well as a lower fat alternative to some of the other smooth cheeses.

If you got a couple days and want to make a killer Kosher lasagna thing, you can use matzo crackers instead of lasagna noodles, and white sauce layers containing spinach, broccoli, and asparagus. You make it a day ahead, and it's really good. I'd have to dig out the family recipe on that one.

Dang, now I'm thinking I need to make some lasagna action soon, lol. Tonight it's stuffed squash instead.

Couple delicatas, halved and cleaned out. Half a teaspoon each of bacon grease, butter, and a good drizzle of dark molasses into each half. A bit of water in the bottom of the pan, cover, and par-bake for about 35 minutes.

Stuffing is a half cup of quinoa, cup of water, half a teaspoon veggie powder, and a teaspoon of Vegata. Cook till just about done, then stir in a 15 oz can of pigeon peas, rinsed and drained. Kill heat and let flavors marry.

Stuff squashes with filling, then drizzle with about a teaspoon maybe of oil on top- today I'm using a mushroom garlic infused olive oil- then pop back into the oven in a dry pan and covered for 15-20 minutes, till squash flesh is fork/spoon tender.

Doing a bit of a simple tomato salad with it- diced tomatoes, onion, and a bit of light olive oil and either white wine or pineapple vinegar and a pinch of salt and black pepper.

• Like 2

I have a big bowl of cherry tomatoes I need to use up (the last of my mothers garden) I think I am going to roast them off in the oven with some garlic and olive oil. Not sure what I will do with them after that.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Daughter of the Nine Moons said:

I have a big bowl of cherry tomatoes I need to use up (the last of my mothers garden) I think I am going to roast them off in the oven with some garlic and olive oil. Not sure what I will do with them after that.

Top off some crusty bread with herbs and cheese for dinner. And mmmm, toss up with some pasta and a pesto. Or settle in with some scrambled eggs.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, rashore said:

Top off some crusty bread with herbs and cheese for dinner. And mmmm, toss up with some pasta and a pesto. Or settle in with some scrambled eggs.

28 minutes ago, Daughter of the Nine Moons said:

Could also add a dash or two of balsamic' to the roasting tomatoes.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Blue Star said:

Could also add a dash or two of balsamic' to the roasting tomatoes.

Yes please.

• Like 1