Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

What ya got cooking UM?

rashore

17 minutes ago, Blue Star said:

Could also add a dash or two of balsamic' to the roasting tomatoes.

Balsamic has been added!

• Like 1

Frijoles con carnitas, beans with pork marinated in red chile.

• Like 3

i was asked to make fried chicken sandwiches for dinner this week. I decided to mix it up and insteaded of brining with the usual mixture of herbs and spices, i emptied some stuff out of my fridge. Sooo the chicken breasts have been butterflied and are now soaking in a  mixture of leftover pickle juice, kung pao sauce, spicy thai peanut sauce, and loads of minced garlic and onion. I will also try some new seasonings with the flour mixture. Not sure as to what yet though guess I will be like my father and make it up as i go along....lol Goodness I hope it turns out ok....lol

• Like 3

The chicken was just amazing. I think i threw in a bit of everything in the flour mixture including ground mustard, turmeric, cumin, paprika, rubbed sage, thyme, a bit of seasoning salt, garlic powder, a type of chicken seasoning, cinnamon, and a sweet and Smokey dry rub. 

Truly the most flavor packed chicken sandwich ive ever had

Edited by Overdueleaf
  • Like 2

On 10/11/2019 at 10:32 PM, Overdueleaf said:

i was asked to make fried chicken sandwiches for dinner this week. I decided to mix it up and insteaded of brining with the usual mixture of herbs and spices, i emptied some stuff out of my fridge. Sooo the chicken breasts have been butterflied and are now soaking in a  mixture of leftover pickle juice, kung pao sauce, spicy thai peanut sauce, and loads of minced garlic and onion. I will also try some new seasonings with the flour mixture. Not sure as to what yet though guess I will be like my father and make it up as i go along....lol Goodness I hope it turns out ok....lol

I thought I was the only one who does that.  I started using recipe's when I was 8 and my mom told me since I now know how to read and understand fractions I can cook anything I like.  But we didn't always have the ingredients so there was a lot of experimentation and now I don't use receipe's.  I have the basic cookie dough recipe and the bread recipe memorized and I add stuff to those all the time.

• Like 2

Today I'm going to make a walnut rum cake and pumpkin pie for tomorrow's Thanksgiving dinner. I will also be prepping the stuffing and vegetables.

• Like 4

On 10/13/2019 at 11:27 AM, Daughter of the Nine Moons said:

Today I'm going to make a walnut rum cake and pumpkin pie for tomorrow's Thanksgiving dinner. I will also be prepping the stuffing and vegetables.

Happy Thanksgiving to all Canadians! 

• 3 weeks later...

It’s a stormy, blustery, chilly night...perfect for the potato soup and cheddar bay biscuits I made. Dutch apple pie for dessert. 

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, SecretSanta said:

It’s a stormy, blustery, chilly night...perfect for the potato soup and cheddar bay biscuits I made. Dutch apple pie for dessert. 

this deserves about a million likes

• Like 3

Spinach, sun-dried tomato and egg pasta spirals boil up in a pan of sea salt, boiling water for 5 mins'.

Cut a chicken breast into strips, fried off in a deep frying pan with a dollop of melted Welsh butter. Till cooked through.

Add some sun-dried tomatoes to taste, that have been preserved in oil, cut into smallish pieces.

Add a handful of fresh, torn, basil leaves and parsley.

When pasta is just about to be cooked but not quite, 5 min's. Drain most of the water off and add to the deep frying pan, chicken mix. 

cook for a further 1 to 2 mins.

Then top with some double cream to taste, doesn't need that much. This creates a wonderfully rich sauce.

Serve in a large pasta bowl.

Sprinkled with a tad of freshly ground black pepper.

Quick, easy, simple and delicious.

* Can add olives if you wish.

Edited by Blue Star
  • Like 3

• 1 month later...

Started Christmas baking. Chocolate mint crinkle cookies, Nestle tollhouse cookies, almond cookies...(recipes to follow)

I will let you know how it progresses

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Daughter of the Nine Moons said:

Started Christmas baking. Chocolate mint crinkle cookies, Nestle tollhouse cookies, almond cookies...(recipes to follow)

I will let you know how it progresses

I would love to have the recipe for the Chocolate mint crinkle cookies.

• Like 1

Right now all my cookie dough is chilling in the fridge, I'm also looking for a tried and true doggie biscuit recipe

Crinkle cookies. The original recipe calls for vanilla but I'm partial to chocolate mint 

Ingredients

• 1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
  • 2 cups white sugar
  • 1/2 cup vegetable oil
  • 4 eggs
  • 2 teaspoons peppermint extract
  • 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 cup powdered sugar

Directions:

• mix together cocoa, white sugar, and vegetable oil.
  • beat in eggs one at a time 
  • stir in the peppermint
  • combine the flour, baking powder, and salt
  • stir into the cocoa mixture
  • cover dough and chill for at least 4 hours
  • preheat oven to 350F, line cookie sheets with parchment paper.
  • roll dough into one inch balls.
  • roll each ball in powdered sugar before placing onto prepared cookie sheets.
  • bake for 10 to 12 minutes.
  • let stand on the cookie sheet for a minute before transferring to wire racks to cool.
  • Like 2

Almond cookies

Ingredients

• 1 cup butter, room temperature
  • 1/2 cup white sugar
  • 2 teaspoons almond extract
  • 2 1/2 cups sifted flour
  • 1/3 cup granulated sugar for decoration
  • 1/3 toasted chopped almonds for decoration
  • powdered sugar for rolling out dough

Directions

• cream butter with 1/2 cup sugar and almond extract until fluffy
  • stir in flour until smooth (don't over work)
  • divide dough into 2
  • wrap in plastic and refrigerate for 2 hours
  • preheat oven to 300 F line cookie sheets with parchment paper
  • roll out dough on powdered surface (one part at a time) aprox  1/2-inch thick
  • cut out cookies
  • Place on cookie sheet 1 inch apart
  • lightly sprinkle mixture of chopped almonds and sugar 
  • bake until cookies are light golden brown around the edges, 25 to 30 min
  • cool on rack
  • Like 2

Man... I haven't had chocolate crinkles in forever. Kind of funny, a buddy of mine shared a lemon crinkles recipe today.

Right now we have the plague in the house. So matzo ball soup and maybe some broccoli cheese or bean soup is going to get simmered up today. Got some Bear Creek soup mixes as a gift, and will be super easy to try a couple out to restock the fridge. Manischewitz the the only matzo ball soup mix I will use, I don't even try to replicate it homemade, lol.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Tonight I made chicken alfredo pasta in the instant pot.   It was delicious and quick!  Here's the recipe:

2 tablespoons olive oil

kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper

1/2 teaspoon garlic powder

2 large chicken breasts about 1.5 pounds total

4 cloves of garlic minced

1 quart low sodium chicken broth

1 pint heavy cream

1 pound of uncooked penne pasta

8 oz of freshly shredded real parmesan cheese

flat leaf parsley minced for garnish (I used dried parsley because that's what I had on hand) 

Season chicken breasts with salt, pepper and garlic powder.

Set Instant Pot to Saute function and hit Adjust button until More is lit. This heats Instant Pot to highest heat for searing.

Add olive oil to Instant Pot and sear chicken breast in Instant Pot for several minutes on both sides until evenly browned.

Remove chicken from pot and set aside to be added back in with the rest of the ingredients.

Add garlic to pot and cook for about one minute.

Add chicken broth and use wooden spoon to scrape up browned bits from the bottom of the pot.

Add heavy cream, uncooked pasta, a teaspoon of kosher salt and several turns of freshly ground pepper.

Return chicken breasts to Instant Pot and stir all ingredients together.

Hit off button to end Saute function, then lock lid in place with Pressure valve set to sealing.

Cook on Manual, High Pressure for 6 minutes. Instant Pot with take 10-15 minutes to come to pressure and then countdown from 6 minutes.

Once cooking is complete, use Quick Pressure Release.

Since we are cooking a pound of pasta, there may be some starches and liquids that start to splatter. If that happens, use wooden spoon or an oven mitt to quickly close pressure valve. Wait one minute and try again.

Once pressure pin drops, unlock lid and remove chicken breasts. Use a meat thermometer to ensure they have reached 165 F degrees. Set aside to rest.

Stir pasta and cream mixture together and slowly add in freshly grated parmesan cheese.

Slice chicken breast and combine with pasta.

Serve with additional freshly ground pepper, shredded parmesan and chopped parsley.

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/15/2019 at 3:57 PM, rashore said:

Man... I haven't had chocolate crinkles in forever. Kind of funny, a buddy of mine shared a lemon crinkles recipe today.

I would love that recipe if you have it

4 hours ago, Daughter of the Nine Moons said:

I would love that recipe if you have it

I looked for it, and it seems I didn't save it. Sorry :(

3 hours ago, Daughter of the Nine Moons said:

No worries @rashore I can look one up :)

If it helps any I do recall it did have lemon extract and lemon juice. It was in weights, like grams of flour instead of measures, like cups.. so wasn't likely an American common recipe. And they went beyond whatever recipe it was to do crystallized lemon zest in their powdered sugar.

• Like 1

We had French Onion Chicken tonight for supper and it was delish!   Here's the recipe:

2 medium yellow onions, thinly sliced into rings (We had some sweet onions on hand so we used those and it turned out well)  

3 tablespoons butter

1 cup plus 3 tablespoons beef broth, divided

4 boneless skinless chicken breasts, pounded to even thickness

1 tablespoon oil

salt and pepper to taste

1 teaspoon Italian blend herbs/Italian seasoning (OR 1/4 teaspoon dried basil + 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme + 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano)

2 tablespoons flour

4 slices provolone cheese

4 slices swiss cheese

3/4 cup parmesan cheese

Preheat oven to bake at 400 degrees OR broil on low. In a large oven-safe skillet (see note) over medium-high heat, melt butter. Add onions and 3 tablespoons beef broth and saute onions for 3-4 minutes until translucent. Continue to cook, stirring occasionally so the onions don't burn, for about 15 minutes longer until browned and very tender. Use tongs or a fork to transfer to a bowl and cover to keep warm.

While onions are cooking, prepare the chicken by drizzling with oil, then seasoning with salt and pepper (to taste) and Italian herbs. Once onions have finished cooking and are removed from the pan, cook chicken for 4-5 minutes on each side (don't clean out the pan between the onions and chicken) until browned on both sides. (Chicken may not be fully cooked through yet, that is okay).

Transfer chicken to a plate and cover to keep warm and return the onions to the pan. Sprinkle flour over the onions and stir for 1 minute over medium-high heat. Add beef broth and continue to cook, stirring throughout, until mixture comes to a boil. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Return chicken to pan and spoon some of the sauce over each piece of chicken.

Top chicken with one slice of provolone each, then one slice of swiss, then 1/4 of the parmesan cheese. Transfer skillet to your preheated oven and cook for about 10 minutes until chicken is cooked through completely and cheeses are melted.

Spoon some of the onions and gravy over the top of the chicken and serve.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Can anybody help me out, I can't understand the hob controls on my new cooker!

Look, there are two hotplates (hobs) on top of it, the 2nd dial down on the control panel controls the lefthand hob, and the 3rd dial controls the righthand hob.

I've twiddled dials 2 and 3 and the hobs get hot just fine.

So what on earth is the 1st dial (at the top) for? It's marked 'Hotplate' but what does it actually DO?

(The manual is not much help)

Thanks

mini-oven.jpg

Edited by Crikey

It looks to me like its the thermostatic control dial to get the oven to the temperatures between 100 oc and 222 oc.

The light next to the written word 'hot plate', I think is to indicate when the hot plate is in use or not.

I know, it looks like it should be for the top dial but this is the only conclusion i can draw from it. As the image of a thermometer is to the left of the top dial and as i said, the numbers relate to normal oven temperatures.

Hope that is of use.:)

foot note, the lowest dial is for where you want the oven heat to radiate out from, eg. the top, bottom, both and so on.

Edited by Blue Star
  • Like 2

On ‎2‎/‎21‎/‎2020 at 5:54 AM, Blue Star said:

It looks to me like its the thermostatic control dial to get the oven to the temperatures between 100 oc and 222 oc.

The light next to the written word 'hot plate', I think is to indicate when the hot plate is in use or not.

I know, it looks like it should be for the top dial but this is the only conclusion i can draw from it. As the image of a thermometer is to the left of the top dial and as i said, the numbers relate to normal oven temperatures.

Hope that is of use.:)

foot note, the lowest dial is for where you want the oven heat to radiate out from, eg. the top, bottom, both and so on.

Thanks, yes I mistakenly thought the word "Hotplate" referred to the top dial, but in fact it refers only to the red light that comes on when the hotplates are on..:D

As regards the bottom dial, yes that's the oven settings, the icons on it are explained in the manual, for example yesterday I did myself some chips and fish fingers in the oven using the "Upper and lower heating elements" setting and they came out fine.

However there's another setting I don't understand, namely the "Upper and lower heating elements with fan assist" setting..What does the fan do exactly, and why should I want to use it?

• Like 1

Fan assist, circulates the heat, so you can get a more even bake, roast or broil and use the rotisserie for your chicken as shown in photo'.

I am glad i didn't waste your time. Thank you for telling me it was right. :geek:

Happy cooking, :) Sounds like that machine you have there, can do it all but peel the veg.:tu:

• Like 2