Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

What ya got cooking UM?

rashore

Made chicken strips coated with panko bread crumbs seasoned with garlic and onion powder, salt and pepper.  Pan fried in a bit of olive oil, tater tots in the oven, and sweet corn from the freezer.   Mixed together barbeque sauce and ranch dressing for a dipping sauce.  :) 

• Like 2

I do those same strips in the oven (400-425F) on a wire rack after spraying them with a little Pam.

Less cleanup.

That dipping sauce sounds good.

Harte

• Like 2

Last night we made bacon cheese burgers with mushroom sauce.   We browned hamburgers in a skillet, mixed together 1/3 c. water with cream of mushroom sauce.  Cooked cherrywood bacon and drained it.  Once hamburgers were browned, added the soup/water mixture to the skillet and cooked about 15 mins, flipping the burgers a couple of times.  Placed american cheese on the burgers and let it melt, then put them on hamburger buns.  Add some bacon and it's done.  :) 

• Like 1

doing mashed cauliflower and creamy garlic brussel sprouts to take to thanksgiving dinner...mainly so i have something carb friendly to eat other than turkey

• Like 2

first time making the cremay garlic brussel sprouts here is the recipe:

1 package of brussel sprouts

1/2 stick butter

12oz bacon

fresh garlic

3/4 cup heavy cream

3/4 cup shredded montery jack cheese

1/3 cup parmesan cheese

cornstarchsalt and pepper to taste

cook bacon, save 2 tbsp of grease. Melt butter and combine with bacon grease and garlic (to taste). Mix in brussel sprouts (halved) and sweat for 15-20 minutes(until tender). Add cream and let simmer for 5 minutes. add cornstarch to thicken, mix well. Added in cheeses, stir thoroughly. remove from heat and add bacon. 

• Like 3

For Thanksgiving Day, we made turkey and dressing, Pumpkin Streusel Cake, baked beans, fresh veggies and ranch dip, chocolate sin in a bowl, ranch parmesan crackers with cheese cubes.  For our second Thanksgiving today we made another turkey and dressing, deviled eggs, more fresh veggies and dip, pumpkin pies, mini apple and pecan pies, and a spinach pie.  

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Hubby made Garlic Butter Parmesan chicken for supper, first he sauteed minced garlic and butter in an oven proof skillet.   He added a bit of salt and pepper.  He patted dry boneless, skinless chicken breasts, then seasoned them with garlic powder, onion powder, salt and pepper.   The breasts were added to the butter and garlic mixture over med heat, until cooked through and lightly brown.  An italian shredded cheese blend was mixed with parmesan cheese.  It was sprinkled liberally on the breasts and they were placed under the broiler until browned on top.   We added small colored potatoes made with rosemary and garlic, mac and cheese, and spinach.  

• Like 1

If I can fit it in the Crock Pot it's going in the Crock Pot. I never turn it off or let it empty & just randomly add stuff to it throughout the week. It's a real menagerie of animal parts & various bones floatin' around in there.

People don't normally eat horse here in the states but I've have horse in there a few times & there's really nothing unappealing about it, it doesn't taste like much just on it's own but that's what Worcestershire sauce is for.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Making a copy cat version of Olive Garden's Chicken Gnocchi Soup

Here's the recipe:

4 tablespoons Butter

1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil

1 cup finely diced onion

1/2 cup finely diced celery

2 garlic cloves, minced

1/4 cup all-purpose flour

1 quart half-and-half

28 ounces chicken broth

1/2 teaspoon dried thyme

1/2 teaspoon dried parsley flakes

1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg (optional)

1 cup carrots finely shredded

1 cup spinach leaves coarsely chopped ( I use baby spinach)  

1 cup chicken breast cooked, and diced (  I use rotisserie chicken)

16 ounces package ready-to-use gnocchi (Cooked according to directions on package)   

Instructions

Melt the butter into the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion, celery, and garlic and cook, stirring occasionally until the onion becomes translucent. Whisk in the flour and cook for about 1 minute. Whisk in the half-and-half. Simmer until thickened. Whisk in the chicken broth. Simmer until thickened again. Stir in 1/2 teaspoon salt, the thyme, parsley, nutmeg (if using), carrots, spinach, chicken, and gnocchi. Simmer until the soup is heated through. Before serving, season with additional salt, if necessary.

• Like 3

Made some cake bites to take to the potluck at work Friday. I usually make these as muffins, but wanted something more bite sized to serve many and didn't feel like dinking around with mini-muffin pans today. Simple enough.

Ingredients:

1- 15 oz can packed pumpkin- NOT pumpkin pie filling.

1-box cake mix- spice cake is best, but you can use other mixes that compliment pumpkin.

Optional- cup of stuff- this can be chocolate chips, chopped nuts or meaty eating seeds like pumpkin and sunflower.

Equipment:

Bowl to mix in, a rubber spatula to mix with, and a scoop. I used a small ice cream lever scoop, but you can use a tablespoon too. These are 1-2 bite goodies, not big scoops. This dough works up stiff and puffy. A couple cookie sheets and either parchment paper to line the sheets (what I use), or grease the sheet. Two cookie sheets, though if you got four that's even better. A couple cooling racks.

Oven to 350f/175c. You want it preheated and sitting hot when you pop these in.

Method:

Dump box of cake mix in. Dump pumpkin in. Stir well till combined. Stir in your optional stuff if using- today I did chocolate chips. Let sit for a few minutes while you prep up your baking sheets. Scoop off onto your prepped cookie sheets about an inch or so apart- these don't puff or spread much during baking.

Bake for 6-7 min, swap the sheets in the oven, then another 6-7 min. They should be firmly set on the outside and still springy- it's ok to pull one off the sheet and try it :)

Pull sheets from oven to your cooling racks, and let sit 5 min. Then pull the bites off the sheets to onto a cooling rack. Once cool, eat and yum.

Optional- glaze them- I did so today for presentation. Line a cookie sheet with paper (If you use parchment for baking, this is a good recycling of the paper) and put a cooling rack on top. Put cooled cookies on rack. Whisk up some powdered sugar, a dribble of vanilla, and a bit of water to make a glaze. Put into a plastic bag and snip off the corner. Drizzle over bites and allow glaze to dry. This can take a few hours.

Trick- here's where the lining your sheet with paper before glazing comes in. Paper can wick moisture like the bites do, and like just using the pan does not. The rack allows for drying under the bite. You get a better gauge for when these are good to pack up in a not-gooey way. Once you can smush down the dripped glaze on the paper to a reasonably dry extent, you can probably serve or pack up. Let's you test the glaze without touching those tempting bites.

These make a generous four bakers dozen of bites- enough to fill four cookie sheets well spaced in a 3x4 spread, plus a few more worked in between in for tasting and end of batch scoops.

• Like 2

Baking is a work in progress but so far a pretty good start. 2 types of shortbread cookies (old fashioned and candy cane) chocolate crinkle cookie dough chilling in the fridge until at least 8pm and a golden rum cake in the oven ( I will make the 2nd rum cake after)

• Like 3

Using the Instapot tonite, jerk chicken with peppers.  I will make a side of rice to go with it.

We are making orange shortbread with white chocolate chips.  We will see if enough of them make it into tins ti give away:D

• Like 3

@glorybebe how do you like the instapot?

The rum cake did not turn out very well. I should have known better because the batter didn't look right because I accidentally replaced all the liquid with the rum...

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Daughter of the Nine Moons said:

@glorybebe how do you like the instapot?

The rum cake did not turn out very well. I accidentally replaced all the liquid with the rum...

Accidentally, huh?:lol:

I love the Instapot.  I made my daughter stand in line on Black Friday to get it.  It makes tender meats and is quite amazing how fast you can cook from frozen.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, glorybebe said:

Accidentally, huh?:lol:

That's what I'm going with :ph34r:

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, glorybebe said:

I love the Instapot.  I made my daughter stand in line on Black Friday to get it.  It makes tender meats and is quite amazing how fast you can cook from frozen.

I have a pressure cooker I can use on the skillet or the large pot, but it kind of freaks me out so I don't use it

• Like 1

I get it.  Pressure cookers usually scare me, too, but the Instapot is pretty easy to use and comes with instructions and recipes.  

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Daughter of the Nine Moons said:

The rum cake did not turn out very well. I should have known better because the batter didn't look right because I accidentally replaced all the liquid with the rum...

Did to much alcohol dry it out? Or is it just a flavour problem?

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, AtlantisRises said:

Did to much alcohol dry it out? Or is it just a flavour problem?

Both, the texture is wrong and the flavour.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Daughter of the Nine Moons said:

Both, the texture is wrong and the flavour.

Alcohol is a strong desiccant. I like cooking with it but it can overpower everything else easily.

So I'm in recovery mode, I tossed that cake out. My son suggested using it for cake pop but I think it was beyond redemption. Cake #2 is in the oven and to be followed by 2 sheets of cookies

Yeah, it had a weird dry texture on the surface and the inside seemed to wet for lack of a better word

42 minutes ago, AtlantisRises said:

Alcohol is a strong desiccant.

10 minutes ago, Daughter of the Nine Moons said:

Yeah, it had a weird dry texture on the surface and the inside seemed to wet for lack of a better word

Do you use white or dark rum? The caramel used to colour rums can throw flavours out a lot. Being Australian I always used Bundaberg Rum for cooking. Quite a dark rum. Only recently I realised that if I use something clear like Bacardi that it allowed me to control the flavour and add anything I wanted. I make cakes and similarfor presents for XMas and Rumballs are always popular. Using white rum I can flavour them in ways that dark rum never came close to.

I made a bunch of choc mint rumballs and sour cherry and dark chocolate rumballs this year that are amazing,

• Like 2

Ah that's problems then. I used Kraken rum which is a dark spiced rum.. Good news though the second cake turned out much better visually.

• Like 1

My fave recipe for tomato soup

3 tablespoons good olive oil

3 cups yellow onions, chopped (2 onions)

1 tablespoon minced garlic (3 cloves)

4 cups chicken stock, preferably homemade

1 (28-ounce) can crushed tomatoes, preferably San Marzano

Large pinch of tumeric

1/2 cup heavy cream

Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper

In a large pot or Dutch oven, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onions and cook over medium-low heat for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally, until golden brown. Add the garlic and cook for 1 more minute. Stir in the chicken stock, tomatoes, tumeric,  1 tablespoon salt and 1 teaspoon pepper. Bring the soup to a boil, then lower the heat and simmer for 15 minutes. Stir in the cream, return the soup to a simmer and cook for 10 more minutes, stirring frequently.   I prefer a smoother soup so I put it in the blender after cooking.  

Edited by tcgram
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1