Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
rashore

What ya got cooking UM?

411 posts in this topic

Solipsi Rai

0.75 pound (it'll shrink to 0.50) sirloin steak, baked potato with chives and a Coors golden beer, Labor day weekend at home in this pandemic year. 

• Like 1

Gwynbleidd

I've been wanting to share this chocolate recipe I found but have adapted to incorporate crushed peanuts and whole hazelnuts. @skliss here's that recipe. :D

698187768_20200817_180128(Small).jpg.fee64707faed7eb9e199ca979f9e0ad4.jpg

It's a rich and smooth tasting dark chocolate with no sugar and low carb.  You can use a simple sugar free baker's chocolate for this. I've put links in so you can see exactly what I use to make this.  As we're in lockdown right now, I'm buying a lot from Amazon, iHerb and some locally sourced online stores as it's convenient and better prices than what we can get locally.  That said, most specialty stores are closed right now anyway. 

3 oz or 85g Cocoa Butter  (I use these Organic Cacao Butter Wafers) you can buy these in smaller bags

2 1/2 oz or 71g Unsweetened Baking Chocolate (I use Origin Organic 100% Pure Chocolate)

6 tbsp Powdered Erythritol (I use So Nourished Powdered Erythritol) if you don't have powdered, put the granular through a food processor until powdered - add more for sweeter chocolate

2 tbsp Inulin (I buy this organic Inulin in powdered form off iHerb) this helps dissolve the erythritol in the chocolate once it's melted and also takes the cooler taste of erythritol away

1/2 tsp Liquid Sunflower Lecithin (I use the NOW Liquid Sunflower Lecithin from iHerb) this helps stop the crystallization that can occur when making your own chocolate (Use Sunflower rather than Soy Lecithin)

1/8 tsp sea salt (I use pink himalayan sea salt finely ground, any type is fine)

1 tsp Vanilla Extract (Use any type of sugar free extract, or you could even use the seeds of one vanilla bean)

Melt cocoa butter and baking chocolate in a double boiler over low heat. 

Stir in the powdered erythritol, a little at a time. Stir in the inulin, a little at a time. Stir in the sunflower lecithin and salt. Heat until everything is smooth and dissolved.

Remove from heat. Stir in vanilla extract.

Pour the melted chocolate mixture into molds. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes, until firm.

Depending on your molds, put a whole hazelnut in some, crushed peanuts in others.  Even dried fruit in some, although that will increase the sugar and carb count.  

It's a really nice dark chocolate and super healthy for a sugar free low carb treat. :wub:

415977151_20200817_180211(Small).jpg.7e95aa09081dd93447d71ae641043cfe.jpg

PS. If you prefer a milk chocolate, you can add in some Isopure Zero-Carb Whey Protein Powder.  Just a couple of Tbspns will suffice.  You will need to add a little at a time, like the erythritol and inulin is added.  Be sure to whisk until smooth and dissolved.  If you use the Isopure brand Zero-Carb it will not add to the carb count of the chocolate.  :)  

Edited by Gwynbleidd
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Desertrat56

Last night my daughter's mother-in-law brought a yummy chicken dish and salad for dinner.  She gave us the easy recipe, she lightly floured the chicken breasts with pepper and garlic, browned it, put it in a baking dish, poured over a reduction of lemon juice and chicken broth (1 chicken broth packet and 2 cups of water to keep the salt down) and a jar of capers, then cooked it in the oven.  It sat overnight in the broth and then she brought it over and warmed it up.  Very nice, moist chicken.

You can tell I don't write recipes but it might give some of you who cook a lot some ideas on a good chicken dish.

• Like 2

Harte

I had to stop using sodium so much so I just shake combinations of herbs and spices over both sides of each breast then fling them into my preheated on med. high skillet on some olive oil. Or sometimes butter if I'm feeling fancy. I wrote about it early on in this thread. If you vary the spices you can claim to have lots of recipes.:D

I use a little of every Asian spice I have and call it "Ancient Chinese Secret." When I use Mexican spices, it's "Ancient Aztec Secret."

It goes on, probably for too long tbh.

I make a nice Ancient Hindu Secret I have to say. For that one I cube the chicken though and use a buttload of garam masala and curry, along with chunks of peppers, onions and usually zucchini.

All the whole breast recipes can be made cubed and with veggies, so that doubles the number of "recipes" on this theme alone. Just make up names for them.

I'm working on an "Ancient Alien Secret" recipe, but I'm having logistical problems getting off-world spices right now so that's on the back burner.

Harte

• Like 1

XenoFish

Hamburger steak with mushrooms and rice.

• Like 2

Harte
On 9/14/2020 at 5:42 PM, Harte said:

I had to stop using sodium so much so I just shake combinations of herbs and spices over both sides of each breast then fling them into my preheated on med. high skillet on some olive oil. Or sometimes butter if I'm feeling fancy. I wrote about it early on in this thread. If you vary the spices you can claim to have lots of recipes.:D

I use a little of every Asian spice I have and call it "Ancient Chinese Secret." When I use Mexican spices, it's "Ancient Aztec Secret."

It goes on, probably for too long tbh.

I make a nice Ancient Hindu Secret I have to say. For that one I cube the chicken though and use a buttload of garam masala and curry, along with chunks of peppers, onions and usually zucchini.

All the whole breast recipes can be made cubed and with veggies, so that doubles the number of "recipes" on this theme alone. Just make up names for them.

I'm working on an "Ancient Alien Secret" recipe, but I'm having logistical problems getting off-world spices right now so that's on the back burner.

Harte

Ancient Roman Secret.

817485543_AncientRomanSecret3.JPG.a64424f5af26011dc89d4ad13cfaf563.JPG

Harte

• Like 1

rashore

Made a shrimp and scallop posole last night. Onion, garlic, homemade charred tomatillo salsa, white wine. Lighthouse Lime oil, lemon wedges, sun dried tomato, white hominy... tiny shrimp and big scallops. 

• Like 1

Luca-Rosemom 19

Quesadillas and salad 

• Like 1

Desertrat56

Green Chile Enchilada sausage from a butcher shop in Santa Fe.  The best.  I am having a hard time deciding what to cook with it.

• Like 1

Desertrat56

Chocolate Chip Banana Oatmeal cookies with pecans.

• Like 1

Blue Star
On 10/21/2020 at 6:38 PM, Desertrat56 said:

Chocolate Chip Banana Oatmeal cookies with pecans.

Sounds lovely  :  )

• Like 1