Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
rashore

What ya got cooking UM?

436 posts in this topic

rashore

We haven't had a taco night in a while. 

Ground beef taco meat, sautéed mushrooms with a cilantro-lime pesto, shrimp ceviche. Homemade refries using mayocoba beans- those are tasty yellow Peruvian beans. Tomatoes, green pepper, lettuce, shredded cheese, sour cream.. Guac, salsa, lime wedges. Soft flour and hard corn for the boats. Zanahorias en escabeche and pickled jalapeños.

Mayocoba beans are a really nice substitute for more traditional pinto or black beans for refries. I make mine from dry, then mash them up with bacon grease and seasoned with cumin and garlic.

Doing a bit of a cheater for the ceviche. I pulled out a packet of par-cooked gulf shrimp for jambalaya, but ended up not adding them. So I'll clean them up and chop them, add in red onion, lime juice, cilantro, garlic, parsley.. 

I feel like I'm forgetting something, heh. Not making rice, because I will do that to go with the leftovers. I'll roll up a batch of burritos for the freezer :)

• Like 1

Mark One

BBQ burgers, hash browns, with salad.  The sun's out at last over here and everything feels great again.

rashore

Had someone share a quesadilla trick with me.. apparently it's a TikTok hack. But we like to eat quesadillas on the regular, and this is a neat technique to do them

Made breakfast ones the other morning. A spicy ranch sauce, sausage, eggs, and cheese. Really good. Make sure you use something melty on that last flap to glue the pocket together. Though I am already contemplating a 3/4 fill with the last one free to fill with other condiments or fills after grilling up. 

• Like 1

rashore

Used the quesadilla trick to make lunch today. 1st quarter had spicy ranch sauce, 2nd shredded chicken, 3rd homemade refries, 4th cheese, and a bit sprinkled over the chicken and bans just to make sure :) Grilled up beautifully in just a few minutes. 

We eat a lot of legumes, and I've mostly ditched the tinned ones in favor of making my own from dry. I'll do a batch and freeze off pint portions- same as what would come in the can. I love to use my insta-pot for this. 3 cups  rinsed pintos, some hot pepper, cumin, iodized salt, bay leaves, and a couple inches of water and pressure cook for 25-20 min. Drain, reserving liquid. Mash beans with some clean bacon grease, thinning with reserved liquid till desired consistency.

Tonight it's shrimp and scallop pozole. I like to use white hominy, stewed in clam juice, garlic salsa, and leeks. Finished with lime and cilantro. 

Cleaning out the freezers of scraps and such... so making a batch of porky ham stock overnight in the oven, and rendering down a couple hams worth of fat overnight in a crockpot. Got a couple hens out and defrosting in the fridge to roast up. I might run the stock from the carcasses through the smoker. 

Made a pound of anchovy butter, a batch of dehydrated caramelized onions, a batch of tapenade to dehydrate and freeze, and dehydrating a batch of salsa verde for salsa powder. 

• Like 1

rashore

Trying out a soup mix, Mills gourmet creamy jalantro soup. Cheesy soup with jalapeño, cilantro, some other spices... adding in a cup of beer as part of the water, kicking in some pulled pork and yellow hominy to it. Some cumin and sumac...

It was rather bland, added in a heaping spoon of homemade mexican seasoning and a tin of chopped green chilies... a bit more cumin too. 

Not bad for a soup mix, but won't repeat. 

• Thanks 1

rashore

A pair of briskets.. one done up corned style in the crock-pot/slow cooker for hours yesterday. Lots of pickling spices, fresh onions, a beer and not much else. 

And one seared off on the griddle and braised on low for hours Holiday style. Beef stock, crushed tomatoes, red wine, red wine vinegar... a root mix of carrots, radishes, parsnips, turnips, and rutabagas. Thyme, savory, dried mushroom powder and caramelized onions. I just killed the heat on the oven a little while ago so it can carry over for a bit before being chilled down and packed into the fridge overnight. 

Today I pulled the few pounds of snow crab out of the freezer and flash cooked them using a cooking bag. Old bay, a whole lemon of juice including tossing the rinds in the bag, and a half cup of white wine for 3 pounds of in the shell legs. 25 minutes at 400F. Let cool and carry over in the closed bag a bit till it can be handled, then start shucking meat. 

• Like 1

rashore

Holiday ham, this time a spiral ham. Opted to do it in an oven bag. 10 pound ham. 

Gave it a good soak in warm water for 20 minutes or so because often the brine it comes in is rather salty. Into the bag was a couple bundles of thyme, a few bayleaves, some peppercorns, and a few slices of dehydrated ginger. Ham into the bag cut face down. A cup of sparkling dry apple cider (non-alcoholic) over the top of the ham and into the oven at 250F for about 3 hours, till the thermometer hit 140F then after pulling it maxed out at 159F. 

Then as soon as it was cool enough to cut up, did so. Meat got shucked off to cool. Bone and generous scrap from the face down end into it's own container. A few prime slices pulled for dinner, to do with some taters, asparagus, and hollandaise sauce. 

A pound of good Marcella beans got soaked overnight. This morning, they went into the 6 quart slow cooker with the ham bone stuff, 3 cups each of ham stock and water, a bundle of thyme, couple bay leaves, a heap of toasted cumin, goodly pinch of black pepper... celery, carrot, and onion. On high for 3 hours to bring up to a good burble, then down on low for 5-6 hours because Marcellas are tender skinned beans. 

Once everything falls off the bones and they can be pulled out clean.. pull the bones and thyme. Pull apart ham in pot as needed. Take 1-2 cups of the soup and puree it and return to pot if you like a bit of thickening in your soup. 

DON'T salt the soup!! Hams that have been brined usually have very salty bones, so wait on that seasoning till at the end.

• Like 2

Desertrat56

I am going to put a pot of beans on.  I found a pound of ground elk meat to put in them.   My friend said she will make tortillas.  Homemade tortillas are the best.

• Like 3

rashore

I need a good virgin bloody mary recipe. Or maybe a few to try out. Sometimes it's great with breakfast and lunch without the alcohol. 

the13bats

I was doing very well with home reconstruction around early 2020 then covid hit. So we are very limited to meals we can fix at home , a 10sq mile town has few food opinions, tinas still asleep, yeah, im hungry but havent a clue the lessers of the evils.

• Confused 1

Mark One

Cornish pasties, mushy peas and gravy.