Jump to content
Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
rashore

What ya got cooking UM?

360 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

Overdueleaf
Just now, Piney said:

or poured over sticky rice or cooked cauliflower. :tu:

Mashed cauliflower is a favorite of mine

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Piney
1 minute ago, Overdueleaf said:

Mashed cauliflower is a favorite of mine

:D with garlic and unsalted sweet cream butter!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Overdueleaf

i feel sad for those who still use margarine

 

edited to add... real butter rules

Edited by Overdueleaf
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
tcgram

Tonight we are going to make cheese tortellini (from frozen) with pesto sauce, tossed salad with tomato and cucumber, garlic bread.  

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
tcgram
13 hours ago, Overdueleaf said:

Mashed cauliflower is a favorite of mine

I'm not as much of a fan of mashed cauliflower, but I love roasting it in the oven with some bread crumbs and parmesan cheese sprinkled on top!  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Overdueleaf
3 hours ago, tcgram said:

I'm not as much of a fan of mashed cauliflower, but I love roasting it in the oven with some bread crumbs and parmesan cheese sprinkled on top!  

I've never tried roasting it. Shall give it a try soon

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
tcgram
23 minutes ago, Overdueleaf said:

I've never tried roasting it. Shall give it a try soon

Here's the recipe I use:

1 head cauliflower, cut into ½ -1 inch florets

½ cup panko bread crumbs

¼ cup parmesan cheese (I usually use more!)

¼ cup olive oil (or enough to coat the cauliflower)

Salt and pepper to taste

Preheat oven to 400º. Toss florets with olive oil, bread crumbs and cheese. Spread in a single layer on jelly roll sheet lined with nonstick foil. Season with salt and pepper. (since I use a lot of cheese I often don't need the salt)  Roast 30-40 minutes, until nicely browned!!    

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Overdueleaf
4 hours ago, tcgram said:

Here's the recipe I use:

1 head cauliflower, cut into ½ -1 inch florets

½ cup panko bread crumbs

¼ cup parmesan cheese (I usually use more!)

¼ cup olive oil (or enough to coat the cauliflower)

Salt and pepper to taste

Preheat oven to 400º. Toss florets with olive oil, bread crumbs and cheese. Spread in a single layer on jelly roll sheet lined with nonstick foil. Season with salt and pepper. (since I use a lot of cheese I often don't need the salt)  Roast 30-40 minutes, until nicely browned!!    

That sounds devine TC... will definitely give it a whirl

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
seeder

hate peeling Garlic?   Give it 20 seconds in the microwave

 

 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
seeder

Ive always loved soups.... I make loads, out of all-sorts of things.... but Gordon Ramsay has a recipe Ive yet to try but will soon...

Sweetcorn soup!!

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
seeder

easy home made butter

 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Herr Falukorv

Today I will make it easy for me.. (wife works late)..

One of the kids favorite food. fishballs in dillsauce and bulgur cooked in broth.
With some extra butter, salt, squeezed lemon and dill in it its actually quite good :)

5350004206_MSC_Fiskbu_i_Dillsas_990x739. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
rashore
9 minutes ago, seeder said:

Ive always loved soups.... I make loads, out of all-sorts of things.... but Gordon Ramsay has a recipe Ive yet to try but will soon...

Sweetcorn soup!!

 

I make a version of this.. I don't use the coriander.. But I toast my cumin, lots of garlic, turmeric, thyme, and crushed chili peppers. I also make my own sweet corn stock in the summer from shucked cobs.. and smoke dehydrate the fresh corn. I use a bunch of dehydrated corn in the soup and not as much canned corn. It's a very corny chowder. I should add some ginger next time.

Corn stock is also great for other chowders too. And for rehydrating dehydrated corn or other veggies. Super easy. Just take fresh shucked cobs broken up into chunks and water, simmer for about an hourish to release the fresh taste but not make a cooked corn taste. This is not a stock suitable for reduction I've found, kills the taste too much. But it freezes real well.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
seeder
9 minutes ago, Herr Falukorv said:

Today I will make it easy for me.. (wife works late)..

One of the kids favorite food. fishballs in dillsauce and bulgur cooked in broth.
With some extra butter, salt, squeezed lemon and dill in it its actually quite good :)

5350004206_MSC_Fiskbu_i_Dillsas_990x739. 

 

 

Great stuff!

what I miss soooo much since leaving Sweden is kalles caviar

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kalles_Kaviar#/media/File:Egg_sandwich.jpg

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
seeder

I make this often!!   Easy flat bread in minutes!   But excuse the mans shirt!!     I use a similar process for quick pizza. Once the bread is done I add tomato sauce, NOT ketchup, just puréed tomatoes in their juice with salt and oregano..., cheese and whatever toppings

 

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
seeder

see the cheesy potato salad!

 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
rashore
34 minutes ago, Herr Falukorv said:

Today I will make it easy for me.. (wife works late)..

One of the kids favorite food. fishballs in dillsauce and bulgur cooked in broth.
With some extra butter, salt, squeezed lemon and dill in it its actually quite good :)

5350004206_MSC_Fiskbu_i_Dillsas_990x739. 

I'm not sure if that looks good or gross, lol. What is it really? I'm familiar with pickled and creamed herring, and canned gifilte fish. Not a fan of those at all. That looks kind of like a cross between the two.

We tend to like our tinned seafood plain and add stuff to it. Around here some of the tinned fish has stuff like mustard or other sauces and they aren't very good. I stick with plain water or oil pack.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Herr Falukorv
52 minutes ago, seeder said:

Great stuff!

what I miss soooo much since leaving Sweden is kalles caviar

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kalles_Kaviar#/media/File:Egg_sandwich.jpg

I understand and suffer for you :) 
Egg sandwich with caviar is a standard breakfast every weekend.

 

 

43 minutes ago, seeder said:

see the cheesy potato salad!

 

 

Damn that looks really tasty.. I love spice food so I think I will show this for my wife and see if maybe we can try and replicate it next weekend.

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Piney
57 minutes ago, rashore said:

I make a version of this.. I don't use the coriander.. But I toast my cumin, lots of garlic, turmeric, thyme, and crushed chili peppers. I also make my own sweet corn stock in the summer from shucked cobs.. and smoke dehydrate the fresh corn. I use a bunch of dehydrated corn in the soup and not as much canned corn. It's a very corny chowder. I should add some ginger next time.

Corn stock is also great for other chowders too. And for rehydrating dehydrated corn or other veggies. Super easy. Just take fresh shucked cobs broken up into chunks and water, simmer for about an hourish to release the fresh taste but not make a cooked corn taste. This is not a stock suitable for reduction I've found, kills the taste too much. But it freezes real well.

Spicy corn soup.......hmmm wonder where that came from:whistle:

Spicy seafood succotash was one of my grandfather's favorites and mine. Just make succotash and add clams, flounder, crabmeat, conch and anything else you like from our oceans.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Herr Falukorv
35 minutes ago, rashore said:

I'm not sure if that looks good or gross, lol. What is it really? I'm familiar with pickled and creamed herring, and canned gifilte fish. Not a fan of those at all. That looks kind of like a cross between the two.

We tend to like our tinned seafood plain and add stuff to it. Around here some of the tinned fish has stuff like mustard or other sauces and they aren't very good. I stick with plain water or oil pack.

Oh dont talk about pickled herring my mouth starts to water.
B-KEGHeIMAAWNc8.jpg

Ha ha ha I understand that it might not look that tasty..
Its actually good. The balls are made of a mix of four fishes (cod,saithe,haddock and argentine)
mashed together with potatoflour olive oil salt and milk.
then cooked in bechamelsauce spiced with dill.

So its very mild and doesnt taste very much..
Perfect food for kids

Edited by Herr Falukorv
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
rashore
1 hour ago, Piney said:

Spicy corn soup.......hmmm wonder where that came from:whistle:

Spicy seafood succotash was one of my grandfather's favorites and mine. Just make succotash and add clams, flounder, crabmeat, conch and anything else you like from our oceans.

You sass... Comes from the same places all the good tomatoes, beans, peppers, potatoes, squash, and a bunch of other good eats comes from. I know full well the heritage of my foods- I'm a heritage grower :) Though kind of funny- I grow a bean called succotash. It looks like a large kernel of purple corn- and makes a smashing succotash. I'm not fond of the traditional lima beans. I leave out the traditional okra too- extra not fond of okra.

I've tossed other meats into succotash. I sometimes make a succotash with spicy sausage and use it as a stuffing to stuff squashes with. Chorizo succotash with eggs poached whole in it is a smashing breakfast- particularly camping breakfast. Haven't tried seafood- I should, sounds good.

 

 

1 hour ago, Herr Falukorv said:

Oh dont talk about pickled herring my mouth starts to water.
B-KEGHeIMAAWNc8.jpg

Ha ha ha I understand that it might not look that tasty..
Its actually good. The balls are made of a mix of four fishes (cod,saithe,haddock and argentine)
mashed together with potatoflour olive oil salt and milk.
then cooked in bechamelsauce spiced with dill.

So its very mild and doesnt taste very much..
Perfect food for kids

Well that sounds good. Sounds like a homemade fresh version is probably better than the tinned stuff- gifilte fish is like that. The canned stuff is gross, but fresh made is just fish-balls and can be pretty tasty. I sometimes make a fresh creamed fish dish of whatever fish fillets happens to be in the freezer. Do them up in a dilly bechamel- I often add peas or asparagus when in season. Serve it up over rice or over dry toast. Is there a homemade version of this stuff?

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Piney
3 minutes ago, rashore said:

You sass... Comes from the same places all the good tomatoes, beans, peppers, potatoes, squash, and a bunch of other good eats comes from. I know full well the heritage of my foods- I'm a heritage grower :) Though kind of funny- I grow a bean called succotash. It looks like a large kernel of purple corn- and makes a smashing succotash. I'm not fond of the traditional lima beans. I leave out the traditional okra too- extra not fond of okra.

We use pole lima beans and sweet white corn but large purple is better and probably better for you. As for hard corns I have always been fond of blue. I can no longer eat hard corns though and I should even stay away from the white stuff. The Lenape of the Outer Coastal Plain though didn't muck with corn really but were wild rice and water lotus centered as a staple. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Piney

I can't watch Gordon Ramsey. He's a punk, and seeing him punk those kids made me nauseous....

@rashore Keep eating that cumin and chili powder. You'll never have to take anti-inflammatories.

Spicy chicken, pork and sausage soup tonight with basil, rosemary, cumin, tumeric carrots, snap peas, white corn, onions, garlic and rice.  The broth is chicken based. sprinkled with feta cheese

 

Edited by Piney
typo- need coffee
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Herr Falukorv
16 hours ago, rashore said:

Well that sounds good. Sounds like a homemade fresh version is probably better than the tinned stuff- gifilte fish is like that. The canned stuff is gross, but fresh made is just fish-balls and can be pretty tasty. I sometimes make a fresh creamed fish dish of whatever fish fillets happens to be in the freezer. Do them up in a dilly bechamel- I often add peas or asparagus when in season. Serve it up over rice or over dry toast. Is there a homemade version of this stuff?

Homemade is allways better and 99 of 100 times better tasting. But as I said in my first post I was making it easy for me :)
We use to eat fresh caught (bought from the fishmarket) fish maybe once a week only in the weekend. In the summer I use to fish myself.
And every time we say mmmmm this was really good and easy we should eat fish more often.
But then the week comes and you are tired when you come home after work the kids are hungry and you have to do something fast, so we do the same boring food we have eaten hundreds of times.
Its like a treadmill that we get got stuck in..

On sundays we often make lots of food so I have dinner ready for me and the kids just to warm on mondays and tuesdays when my wife works late.

 

12 hours ago, Piney said:

I can't watch Gordon Ramsey. He's a punk, and seeing him punk those kids made me nauseous....

Same here I cant watch him.
His arrogant way makes me wanna punch him in the face.
If someone had treated me the way he treat people in his shows I would probably just go (after I´ve manhandled him a bit)
I dont understand why the producers tolerate it.
How can bullying tv be entertaining?

I love food shows but not the ones he participate in..

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Piney
8 minutes ago, Herr Falukorv said:

I love food shows but not the ones he participate in..

We watch "The Chew" every day while eating lunch and I think it's even better since Mario got the boot. I thought his stuff was slop anyway.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   1 member

    • olateone