Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

US Government shutdown begins

Tiggs

3 hours ago, Merc14 said:

Why would Schumer do the shut-down again when he got killed in the polls?  Polls show Americans are NOT for DACA and neither were they in support of the democrats in this shut down and that is the ONLY reason Schumer ended it.  

Schumer got a promise from McConnell to bring up DACA to the Senate.  Not fulfilling the promise will give them a premise to do it all over again and hit on McConnell's credibility.

If I were an obstructionist, I would take judicious hits on the polls to derail my opposition.  They are fickle things and go up and down on a whim anyways.  If making three week long budgets does the trick then I would continue.  The Democrats don't seem to be the only one doing this either.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Merc14 said:

Guess Shut-down Schumer didn't like the poll numbers he was seeing.   Trump mopped the floor with the dems once again.

As planned.

8 hours ago, Gromdor said:

Not sure a three week budget bill is something to cheer over.  If the gop goes back on their promise, Schumer can just do it all over again next month or even worse just continuing doing few week long bandaids every month without ever fulfilling Trump's budgetary wishlist.

My guess is he really is in favor of E-Verify and will eventually tie it to everyone's voting rights some how. No illegal employees, no illegal voters, no illegal welfare (to include food stamp, health care, education) recipients, which is what would make illegal immigration a lot less appealing.

9 hours ago, Merc14 said:

Guess Shut-down Schumer didn't like the poll numbers he was seeing.   Trump mopped the floor with the dems once again.

A 3 week stop gap is mopping the floor?  That's quite the interesting take.  "We are going to push this off for three weeks.  WE WIN WE WIN!"

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

The people who are rabidly anti-Trump would love it because it p***es Trump off and stops him from governing. At this point, they’re the only people left who’d willingly vote Democrat without the Democrats doing a lot of soul searching, so obviously it’s them they’re courting.

No argument from me Hats, I think you are exactly right that he is trying to shore up his insane base (and I do mean insane, certifiably so). I truly believe he thought he'd get the boost he did back in 2013 but when that backfired and he actually lost his base rather than hurt republicans, he did a 180 and is now trying to save what he has.

Just now, Agent0range said:

A 3 week stop gap is mopping the floor?  That's quite the interesting take.  "We are going to push this off for three weeks.  WE WIN WE WIN!"

Yep, he mopped the floor with them because your boy shut down the government over illegal aliens and he got hammered for it.  What do you call that,a win?   Do you realize the democrats didn't pass a single budget during Obama's 8 years in office?   Not one!   The only budget that he passed was when the republicans owned both houses so three more weeks of continuing resolutions is not a aberration, it has become the norm and oh, before you blame republicans understand that Obama didn't get any votes for his budget from democrats either.

Shutting down the government and then voting 81-18 just three days later after the polls showed that you are getting hammered is a HUGE loss.  If you don't think so then fine, I like folks like you on the other side who don't know they are losing.  Keep crowing, November is coming and hopefully your leadership believes as you do (hint, Pelosi does)  and as the old saying is goes "Never get in the way of an enemy destroying himself."  You keep believing, works for me.  :tu:

Edited by Merc14
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, Merc14 said:

No argument from me Hats, I think you are exactly right that he is trying to shore up his insane base (and I do mean insane, certifiably so). I truly believe he thought he'd get the boost he did back in 2013 but when that backfired and he actually lost his base rather than hurt republicans, he did a 180 and is now trying to save what he has.

Yep, he mopped the floor with them because your boy shut down the government over illegal aliens and he got hammered for it.  What do you call that,a win?   Do you realize the democrats didn't pass a single budget during Obama's 8 years in office?   Not one!   The only budget that he passed was when the republicans owned both houses so three more weeks of continuing resolutions is not a aberration, it has become the norm and oh, before you blame republicans understand that Obama didn't get any votes for his budget from democrats either.

Shutting down the government and then voting 81-18 just three days later after the polls showed that you are getting hammered is a HUGE loss.  If you don't think so then fine, I like folks like you on the other side who don't know they are losing.  Keep crowing, November is coming and hopefully your leadership believes as you do (hint, Pelosi does)  and as the old saying is goes "Never get in the way of an enemy destroying himself."  You keep believing, works for me.  :tu:

Merc, Merc, Merc.  If you know anything about a budget, you know who proposes it, and it was a Republican controlled house.  Why are you even talking about Obama?  Get out of the past.  Who did Trump say is at fault when there is a government shutdown?  Multiple quotes, Merc.  Are you calling your savior a liar?  You can talk about November all you want, but seats are flipping everywhere.  A democrat even won a seat in Alabama!  Who woulda thunk!  Oh, but Trump knew he would lose, so he put out a robocall endorsing him.  Everything is a win, lose party thing with you, as usual.  You will never put country above party.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Agent0range said:

Merc, Merc, Merc.  If you know anything about a budget, you know who proposes it, and it was a Republican controlled house. 

What budget are you talking about? 

Why are you even talking about Obama? 

Well, I don't rememebr any outraged posts from you about continuing resolutions during Obama's presidency yet now we have one. 

Get out of the past.  Who did Trump say is at fault when there is a government shutdown? 

The democrats, and they were.  DACA doesn't expire until early March so no reason for a shut down until then.  This was purely political, obviously and Schumer bet wrong

Multiple quotes, Merc.  Are you calling your savior a liar?

Savior?  I'm sorry but I am an agnostic so don't have a savior.   :rolleyes:

You can talk about November all you want, but seats are flipping everywhere.  A democrat even won a seat in Alabama!  Who woulda thunk! 

Me.  Did you happen  to see the candidate the republicans ran?

Oh, but Trump knew he would lose, so he put out a robocall endorsing him. 

Not sure what you are talking about.  Don't care either so no need to expound.

Everything is a win, lose party thing with you, as usual.  You will never put country above party.

Nah, I have no party, I left the republican party with Bush, I vote for the closest to my conservative beliefs.  If Jim Webb had run I'd have voted democrat.