Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Girl takes a "ghostly" picture at hotel

MrBene

Edit: format.

So I found this on r/paranormal and I thought it was nice to share:

Good lord..this is my third attempt at trying to figure out how to post pictures on Reddit and apparently I have bird brains, so I'm just gonna copy and paste the imgur links to the text here. https://imgur.com/a/G8Bvz (original photo) Soo my mom, sister and I took a trip to Thailand and my sister took a picture of my mom and me in the lobby of our hotel in Chiang Mai. None of us noticed anything strange about the photo until I went to frame it for my mom and saw a "apparition" or lady in a very strange place in the background. My sister took this photo with her Google phone and none of us remember there being anyone else in the lobby when this photo was taken. Has anyone else had glitches with their Google phone camera? Or is this Caucasian woman riding out eternity in a hotel lobby in Thailand? If you're curious to see what the lobby looks like without the lady crammed into the tiny corner for reference..it was the Pingviman Hotel.

https://imgur.com/UIpuWXB zoomed in photo https://imgur.com/J93oJZa even more zoomed in photo

Here's the picture:

hdWtphA.jpg

One of the /paranormal members pointed out:

If the smartphone has an HDR mode (most do) the picture will be actually 3 pictures stitched together. One over exposed, one at normal exposure, and one underexposed. It uses the normally exposed picture as a base layer. Then it tries to find the dark areas in the image, and stitches the overexposed photo to that portion. It also tries to find areas too bright, and stitches the underexposed areas to that portion.

I used the Photo Forensics app (https://29a.ch/photo-forensics/) but I didn't find anything unusual.

Source: reddit.

Edited by MrBene

Whether this is an apparition or not, the image of the lady wearing blue seems to show she is standing on the rug in front of the doors. You can see the image fade away towards the floor but her 'feet' would be on the rug/carpet towards the far side of it from camera position.  I don’t see her has crammed into the corner.

The 'ghost' is also reflected on the floor - interesting photo but it just appears to be a double exposure of some kind.  I'm no expert thought so i'll hold back judgement! 

• Like 1

Could it be a hotel worker in a smock on her knees? Maybe cleaning a table or the floor in that area?

• Like 1

I'm more inclined to believe this is just a real person no one noticed at the time.

• Like 2

I always find it suspicious when someone posts a ghost picture and their story starts with an anecdote about them failing to do something really basic with technology. We get it, you don't know how to use photoshop. I believe you. I don't believe you.

• Like 3

On 1/20/2018 at 3:46 PM, MrBene said:

Edit: format.

So I found this on r/paranormal and I thought it was nice to share:

Yea I think its the HDR mode glitch.

• Like 3

Unexplained photos are not scientific evidence.

57 minutes ago, Ultima Weapon said:

Unexplained photos are not scientific evidence.

I feel like you just answered a question that no one asked. :huh:

• Like 4

Yeah looks like a double exposure, or some kind of bleed over from a previous shot. Especially given her reflection in the floor etc, creepy looking fault, but still a fault after all I'm afraid.

• Like 1

6555b3d796baab3351c7ef7721c722b2.gif

• Like 1

Great photo! im not sure im sold on it being an apparition but i can see why it would creep someone out

• 2 weeks later...

Since it appears to be a fleshy... it would be hard to prove that the lower body wasn't removed with photoshop.

The size of the lady is way small. I mean look at the chairs that are of slight further distance behind her, she's a shrunken ghost. So given that I don't think she was ever originally in the picture but either super imposed without being properly resized or it's a shrunk version of a ghost..first I've heard of that.

This is a weird one. Cut off at the knees and no forearm. A partially materialized ghost?? I've heard of those. 

I would think a fake would more interesting than this. Story sounds like a real regular sincere person. Not much value in the effort for a write-up for a fake. There is no fame to be had and plenty of attacks.