Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Face of 9,000-year-old teenager reconstructed

Still Waters

Her name is Avgi, and the last time anyone saw her face was nearly 9,000 years ago. When she lived in Greece, at the end of the Mesolithic period around 7000 B.C., the region was transitioning from a society of hunter gatherers to one that began cultivating its own food.

In English, Avgi translates to Dawn—a name archaeologists chose because she lived during what's considered the dawn of civilization.

Little is known about how she lived and died, but now archaeologists can see the ancient woman's prominent cheekbones, heavy brow, and dimpled chin.

https://news.nationalgeographic.com/2018/01/archaeology-agvi-greek-stoneage-facial-reconstruction/

• Like 6

• Researchers reconstructed face of teenager who lived during the Mesolithic era
  • The angry-looking girl reveals people of the time had more masculine features
  • Avgi, also known as Dawn, is now on display at the Acropolis Museum in Athens 

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-5302753/Scientists-reconstruct-face-9-000-year-old-Greek-teenager.html

I would have to see more reconstructed faces before I agreed that 'people of the time had more masucline features', but the ability see what someone so long dead looked like is amazing IMO

• Like 1

I know a woman who could be her twin, but rarely wears a scowl. Tall, strong and intelligent--but quite female, none-the-less.

• Like 1

The technique of reconstructing faces like this is truly amazing, but I do have to wonder how rigid bones can indicate a scowl!

• Like 1