Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

For those who don't believe in Christ.

KatyAD

6 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

The smell of pessimism coming from this. It's delightful.;)

More like humility. Even David had his moments.        

Psalm 8:3-6King James Version (KJV)

When I consider thy heavens, the work of thy fingers, the moon and the stars, which thou hast ordained;

What is man, that thou art mindful of him? and the son of man, that thou visitest him?

For thou hast made him a little lower than the angels, and hast crowned him with glory and honour.

Thou madest him to have dominion over the works of thy hands; thou hast put all things under his feet:

8 minutes ago, intoyoulikeatrain said:

Does Christian mysticism have discipleship like in yoga?

A Christian mystic follows Christ. And fellowship is not discipleship.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Ehrman Pagels 1 said:

A Christian mystic follows Christ. And fellowship is not discipleship.

You read like Elaine or my Aunt Emma. Are you a Quaker or are you actually someone from Princeton. :)

26 minutes ago, intoyoulikeatrain said:

Discipleship like yoga?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Podo said:

Odin? Vishnu? Aten? Tengrii?

Tengrii can be more described as "Creation", "The Universe" or "The Heavens" The concept evolved into the Chinese concept "Tian" (The Heavens).

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, intoyoulikeatrain said:

Nothing I know exactly parallels yoga. The closest is Christian monasticism and asceticism.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Scudbuster said:

Give a listen to bible scholar Francesca Stavrakopoulou.....she can explain it quite succinctly

If you need someone to explain the Bible, and you're an atheist, then there really isn't much you understand. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Piney said:

Tengrii can be more described as "Creation", "The Universe" or "The Heavens" The concept evolved into the Chinese concept "Tian" (The Heavens).

True! There are parts of the world where it is worshipped in a more personified way, however, such as Mongolia and parts of Turkey. Them crazy turkiks and their blue-sky god.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Piney said:

You read like Elaine or my Aunt Emma. Are you a Quaker or are you actually someone from Princeton. :)

I'm not a Quaker, but I like the path.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Podo said:

True! There are parts of the world where it is worshipped in a more personified way, however, such as Mongolia and parts of Turkey. Them crazy turkiks and their blue-sky god.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Ehrman Pagels 1 said:

I'm not a Quaker, but I like the path.

I'm a Hicksite-Deist of the Amos Peaslee vein and the last living member of the founding families of the Mickleton Monthly Meeting. Basically I'm the last "Old Line" birthright.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, XenoFish said:

Here's a good question: Why should I believe? 

If you have no reason to, maybe you shouldn’t.  I don’t have a problem with that.

2 minutes ago, Guyver said:

If you have no reason to, maybe you shouldn’t.  I don’t have a problem with that.

Then would you kindly explain to me the need some have to try an guilt trip me about not having 'faith'. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

Then would you kindly explain to me the need some have to try an guilt trip me about not having 'faith'. 

It's the other way around. 

29 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

gThen would you kindly explain to me the need some have to try an guilt trip me about not having 'faith'. 

Savior complex.  If you don't believe (in their minds) you are lost and need saving.  If they can convert you they have done a good deed and saved you from frying in the Lake of Fire forever.  

• Like 5

15 hours ago, Will Due said:

No, if you're a real seeker of truth, I mean the person you will eventually find waiting for you behind the door inside your soul he's knocking on.

Sorry I don't believe in the Bible Jesus and I have found that through my own research. I was a Christian at one time so I have been there and done that. No Jesus will be knocking at my soul and I can promise you that.

Edited by Truthseeker007

1 minute ago, Truthseeker007 said:

Sorry I don't believe in the Bible Jesus and I have found that through my own research. I was a Christian at one time so I have been there and done that. No Jesus will be knocking at my soul at I can promise you that.

That wasn't my experience at all. But it did take time to recognize him, to get to know him.

1 minute ago, Will Due said:

That wasn't my experience at all. But it did take time to recognize him, to get to know him.

Yes the Sun does give life and walks on water.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Truthseeker007 said:

Yes the Sun does give life and walks on water.

Yes, the Son is the source of life and happiness. 

Just now, Will Due said:

Yes, the Son is the source of life and happiness. 

You mean your imaginary friend the Son.

7 minutes ago, Truthseeker007 said:

You mean your imaginary friend the Son.

No, your friend who you're imagining isn't knocking at your door.

Edited by Will Due

4 minutes ago, Will Due said:

No, your friend who's knocking at your door.

You have a lot to learn Mr.Due. Have fun with your imaginary friend.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Truthseeker007 said:

You have a lot to learn Mr.Due. Have fun with your imaginary friend.

I too have hope. That your imaginations eventually lead you to finding the Truth that you're seeking. 

On Wednesday, January 24, 2018 at 0:13 AM, Will Due said:

In a way the Bible is just a reference book, like they all are, including the Urantia Book. 

What anyone can know about the truth about God and living a true religious life comes from being in contact with God's divine presense which dwells within at the center of each of our being.

This is where the source of the true knowledge exists and all the books, myths and legends, including the many great books of fiction like Tolkien's and even TV shows like Star Trek, movies like Close Encounters, when put all together, the indwelling Spirit uses them to present a very clear picture of what is real, and what isn't. 

This has been my experience in helping me to understand what I know is true about God.

tell us what you know is true about God 

On 1/22/2018 at 10:41 AM, Jon the frog said:

That's awesome  !  Is it from you?

Lyrics from Tim Minchin's song Thank You God.

Sorry, I figured everyone had heard it.

• Like 2