Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

V engraved rock on Mars

qxcontinuum

Oooo we're doing rocks on mars.  I've got a good one for you - can anyone figure out what is in this picture?  I won't say where it is or what you should be looking for but I think it's pretty obvious.  It was recorded in two separate shots, it isn't a reflection and I'm at a loss to explain a natural process.

Direct from the NASA website:

NLB_545660377EDR_F0621080NCAM00252M_.JPG

NLB_545660346EDR_F0621080NCAM00252M_.JPG

• Like 1

1 hour ago, I'mConvinced said:

can anyone figure out what is in this picture?

That's Mars and I'm guessing you mean this? (If so, I have no idea whatsoever as to what it could be. Very odd!)

Capture.JPG

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stiff said:

That's Mars and I'm guessing you mean this? (If so, I have no idea whatsoever as to what it could be. Very odd!)

Capture.JPG

That's it and isn't it just. Never seen it mentioned anywhere, it doesn't even get used in the crazy compilation videos that show iguana rocks and shadows.

Unedited images direct from NASA, can't be an artifact of the camera as we have two photo's from different angles. Nothing of similar colour or shape anywhere near, appears 'stuck' onto the rock. It's not aliens but it's interesting.

• Like 1

On 1/22/2018 at 6:39 AM, ChrLzs said:

Just to show how totally onboard with QxC I am here - I've run this through my patented "Anomaly Analysis Sensing System" (or AASS), and here are the final results.   Note this is only at Level 3 - moving up to Level 5 would identify many more.

Enjoy:

mars_enhanced.thumb.jpg.d8fa34a409581903f381919b489138ca.jpg

Hey ChrLzs, is 18 likes a record?

Anyway, you are all missing the point. These fragments of rock are the chippings made by the stonemasons who fashioned the blocks for the pyramids that are out of shot on the horizon.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, I'mConvinced said:

Unedited images direct from NASA, can't be an artifact of the camera as we have two photo's from different angles. Nothing of similar colour or shape anywhere near, appears 'stuck' onto the rock. It's not aliens but it's interesting.

When you provide images those are claimed to be from NASA you always have put the NASA link into the post. Until now, we have no idea about the authenticity of the images you provided as to be from NASA. So go ahead because without the original source any discussion on the subject is pointless. 

• Like 2

I can't find the image/s on Nasa's website but I've found it at a couple other places. I'm not sure how respected either of these sites are though.

https://marsmobile.jpl.nasa.gov/msl/multimedia/raw/?rawid=NRB_545660346EDR_F0621080NCAM00252M_&s=1669

http://planetaria.ca/mars-curiosity/

• Like 3

1 hour ago, toast said:

When you provide images those are claimed to be from NASA you always have put the NASA link into the post. Until now, we have no idea about the authenticity of the images you provided as to be from NASA. So go ahead because without the original source any discussion on the subject is pointless. 

Actually, if you hover over the images the link pops up in the bottom (if using Chrome, at least)....

Link1

Link2

Cheers,
Badeskov

• Like 4

1 hour ago, toast said:

You can copy the embedded link from the pictures but I'll find the originals for you:

https://mars.jpl.nasa.gov/msl-raw-images/proj/msl/redops/ods/surface/sol/01669/opgs/edr/ncam/NLB_545660377EDR_F0621080NCAM00252M_.JPG

And

https://mars.jpl.nasa.gov/msl-raw-images/proj/msl/redops/ods/surface/sol/01669/opgs/edr/ncam/NLB_545660346EDR_F0621080NCAM00252M_.JPG

• Like 3

While at first that one got my interest... the first thing I noticed was the image is really badly exposed - many areas are 'blown', ie overexposed white.  When that happens, the shapes of the blown out areas tend to be a bit misleading, often squared off...

Here's a magnification of the rock from another image that has better control over the highlights:
NLB_545_crop.JPG.6db08f4f937db0bc2322e2cdb87c577b.JPG
It's certainly weird, but I'd guess it's just a lighter/harder inclusion in the rock that has been exposed by weathering.  Given the number of random shapes of such occurrences, it's not all that surprising the odd one takes an odd shape...

Nice catch.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, ChrLzs said:

While at first that one got my interest... the first thing I noticed was the image is really badly exposed - many areas are 'blown', ie overexposed white.  When that happens, the shapes of the blown out areas tend to be a bit misleading, often squared off...

Here's a magnification of the rock from another image that has better control over the highlights:
NLB_545_crop.JPG.6db08f4f937db0bc2322e2cdb87c577b.JPG
It's certainly weird, but I'd guess it's just a lighter/harder inclusion in the rock that has been exposed by weathering.  Given the number of random shapes of such occurrences, it's not all that surprising the odd one takes an odd shape...

Nice catch.

Thanks, it's a fun one and this image would suggest something like you are describing.  What weird weathering though, I tried to find something similar on Earth but inclusions tend not to look like this.  I was thinking it might be a Xenolith but then wouldn't this need to be igneous rock? Not really got any idea what I'm talking about though!

Just as an aside, and I hesitate to do this as it may encourage certain folk....

This image is a really good example of the "can't unsee" effect...

First up, the 'thing' is clearly a dog's face, looking towards the left (the dog's right..).

But now, look carefully to the left of the anomaly...  At first I didn't notice it, but once I did, it is fairly compelling...  Note how the shape of the thing is repeated twice, each time fainter, to the left.... {cue eery music}

Like I said, I didn't notice that even on quite close inspection initially, but now I can't unsee it!  As far as I can guess, it's just a natural effect of the weathering - you can see that it all lies aligned with the strata / layers of the rock.   But it sorta looks like someone used the 'rubberstamp' function to photoshop it in, or  ...... to hide sumthin'.    Oh those evil NASA folk, always playing with our heads!!! {/sarcasm}

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ChrLzs said:

Like I said, I didn't notice that even on quite close inspection initially, but now I can't unsee it! 

Aha I see it.  It does indeed look like two 'lighter' versions of the same thing - this could perhaps be a camera artifact? I mean I guess it could be weathering but its some of the strangest I've seen if so.  Still trying to find something similar on Earth to compare it to, closest I could find was this: 

limestone_xenolith_in_volcanic_ashflow.j

It's pretty obvious how this formed but it still doesn't seem quite right.

• Like 2

Mystery solved, it's an alien symbol of worship similar to this one:

michael-anthony-jewelry-2-tone-nativity-

• Like 1

21 hours ago, I'mConvinced said:

Oooo we're doing rocks on mars.  I've got a good one for you - can anyone figure out what is in this picture?  I won't say where it is or what you should be looking for but I think it's pretty obvious.  It was recorded in two separate shots, it isn't a reflection and I'm at a loss to explain a natural process.

Direct from the NASA website:

NLB_545660377EDR_F0621080NCAM00252M_.JPG

NLB_545660346EDR_F0621080NCAM00252M_.JPG

That's my cellphone. I left it there by accident the last time Bigfoot and i went transdimensional wormhole hopping. He's always pulling pranks and slapping it out of my hand when I try to take a picture of him. He's a nut!

• Like 1

The size 10 boot is definitely ex Martian Army issue.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, stereologist said:

This could be a piece of rock that was encased in a lithified dune.

Could it be guano from a Martian bat? :whistle:

Don't be silly it's clearly the front door to a Martian underground base. As the atmosphere of the planet leaked into space the Martians needed to evolve into a smaller species that required less breathing and lived mostly in and under rocks.