Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Skull found by dog walker is Iron Age woman

Still Waters

A skull found by a dog walker in Somerset dates back to the Iron Age, scientists have revealed.

Roger Evans of Newtown found the skull on the banks of the River Sowy in March last year.

Scientists say the head belonged to a woman aged 45 or older in the late Iron Age - 380-190 BC, centuries before the first Roman invasion of Britain.

Further investigations nearby revealed timber posts, which are being tested to see if they are from the same date.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-somerset-42772143

• Like 7

Some places in the Earth are so redolent of the past, if you stick a spade in the ground, anywhere, you turn over history.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Hammerclaw said:

Some places in the Earth are so redolent of the past, if you stick a spade in the ground, anywhere, you turn over history.

We preserved my Quaker grandparents farmland because it was continually inhabited for thousands of years and I had artifacts from the Early Archaic up to contact with the Swedes and Quakers. There is one spot that was a Swedish cabin from around 1635 which was owned by a man named Woola Dalbo who acted as guide and translator for the Quaker settlers. 

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Piney said:

We preserved my Quaker grandparents farmland because it was continually inhabited for thousands of years and I had artifacts from the Early Archaic up to contact with the Swedes and Quakers. There is one spot that was a Swedish cabin from around 1635 which was owned by a man named Woola Dalbo who acted as guide and translator for the Quaker settlers. 

The Quakers, generally peaceful folk, enticed my Scotch-Irish ancestors to America with the promise of land and religious freedom, hoping they would settle between them and the Indians along the frontier they lived in dread of. Unfortunately for them and the Indians, the Scotch-Irish, long enured of conflict with the displaced Irish in Ulster, were never content until they had moved at least three times. It was said of the Scotch-Irish that they kept the Sabbath--and anything else they could get their hands on.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Hammerclaw said:

The Quakers, generally peaceful folk, enticed my Scotch-Irish ancestors to America with the promise of land and religious freedom, hoping they would settle between them and the Indians along the frontier they lived in dread of. Unfortunately for them and the Indians, the Scotch-Irish, long enured of conflict with the displaced Irish in Ulster, were never content until they had moved at least three times. It was said of the Scotch-Irish that they kept the Sabbath--and anything else they could get their hands on.

Was this in Pa. or New Jersey? Because if it was in Pa. Billy Penn was just trying to make some cash with "quit rents". 

My Quaker ancestor, John Fenwick was a border lord and the Fenwicks were noted to grab anything they could get their hands on and kill the former owner so the couldn't complain to the March Warden or go on a "hot trod" and filch it back.

Just now, Piney said:

Was this in Pa. or New Jersey? Because if it was in Pa. Billy Penn was just trying to make some cash with "quit rents". 

My Quaker ancestor, John Fenwick was a border lord and the Fenwicks were noted to grab anything they could get their hands on and kill the former owner so the couldn't complain to the March Warden or go on a "hot trod" and filch it back.

Pa. The Scotch-Irish, or Ulster Scotts, had honed their fighting skills in Ulster. They were a cultural amalgam of Lowlands Scotts, English and Borderlanders of every stripe. In the Scotch-Irish, the Indians had met their match in sheer audacity and murderous savagery.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hammerclaw said:

Pa. The Scotch-Irish, or Ulster Scotts, had honed their fighting skills in Ulster. They were a cultural amalgam of Lowlands Scotts, English and Borderlanders of every stripe. In the Scotch-Irish, the Indians had met their match in sheer audacity and murderous savagery.  

My boss is a Scotch-Irish Presbyterian whose ancestor bought land from one of my Quaker ancestors....ex marine and I wouldn't get him mad....

10 minutes ago, Piney said:

My boss is a Scotch-Irish Presbyterian whose ancestor bought land from one of my Quaker ancestors....ex marine and I wouldn't get him mad....

We've derailed this thread off into the piney woods, I fear. Folks back in the home islands are privileged to live in lands so rich and ancient in their own history.  

• Like 1

A mysterious skull discovered by a dog walker dates back to the late Iron Age, archaeologists have revealed.

The skull, which was found in Langport in Somerset, was reported to the police and analysed. 

Months of tests revealed that it belonged to a woman aged 45 or older who had suffered chronic illness during her life.

I'm surprised the police haven't arrested  the nearest living celebrity or MP, surely the BBC can prove they pinched her bum and her head fell off. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, hetrodoxly said:

I'm surprised the police haven't arrested  the nearest living celebrity or MP, surely the BBC can prove they pinched her bum and her head fell off. 

Me too. Wouldn't surprise me if it happened in this day and age.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, hetrodoxly said:

:lol: Me too.

• Like 1