Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The use of colors to communicate how we feel

Still Waters

When people are sad they are often said to be “blue”. Jealousy is implied if someone is described as being “green with envy”. Angry people “see red” while yellow is associated with happiness, and in contrast, black and shades of grey have negative connotations. Why are certain emotions associated with certain colours? And where did these associations come from?

https://theconversation.com/we-can-use-colour-to-communicate-how-we-feel-heres-how-90157

• Like 3

The article is interesting but the point that stood out for me was that the 'language' of colours can be very personal. I think the authors will struggle to construct some sort of universal colour language that will be helpful to the majority.

• Like 3

I'm feeling a little mauve at the minute. I don't know whether that's a good thing or not... :unsure2:

Joking aside, I agree with ouija, colour is as subjective as other tastes... music, food, physical attraction, etc.

• Like 3

Im feeling beige at the moment. 

Something I dont like with colors is that most kidsclothes are either blue for boys and pink for girls or grey.
At least thats how it is here in Sweden
Its so boring and sexistic, me and my wife allways tries to find diffrent colors for our kids, but its not easy.

• Like 3

Color can be subjective based on culture.  I read somewhere that white is the color of mourning in China instead of black.

• Like 2

Colour is very important to people on the autism spectrum. I have two autistic cousins, and I myself am (minorly, but diagnosably) on the spectrum. Things that I like are shades of blues, greens, and greys in my mind, whereas things that I dislike are yellows and oranges. My two cousins have the same experiences, but with different colours as being good and bad. None of us can really articulate why a thing is a particular colour, but the colours are very important.

• Like 2

Atamarie Still Waters..xx

Your Name has A Calmness to it..Peace...

Humans are really HUE MAN..

Colours ,Frequency..

The Auric Energetic Field that Surrounds the Body..

Red is the Base Colour, this Rules the Sacral Area, the sexual Organs.. This colour is Power, and yes this is a lower dense frequency, the higher up the body, the Auric Energy, becomes more refined, or higher..

BLACK, is Earth, your connection to the Land..

BROWN, is also Earthly, this colour is by the Knees or Legs..

RED, the base of Spine..Power..

ORANGE, just below naval, this is Instinct..

YELLOW, above the Naval, this is Intuition..

GREEN, this is the Heart Colour. Hence, "green with Envy" emotions..

BLUE, the throat, This is Communication, Expression..

PURPLE, this is Mind Power, or some say The Third Eye Power..

BURGUNDY, The Crown, this is the Thread, holding your Etheric Body Within and Without the Physical..

After these Colours, In the Energetic field ,above the Crown, is

PINK, SILVER, GOLD AND WHITE..

WHITE, is the Highest, it is all the Colours..

In the Physical, GREEN is Queen.. The Ruler of the Emotions..

So, something new to Ponder..!!

Thankyou for Opening this thread..

Peace to you and yours..xx

Mo..xx

Edited by MauriOra
  • Like 2

Why is blood red?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Mr. Argon said:

Why is blood red?

Atamarie Mr Argon..

That is a good Question..

And Veins are Green, Some are Bluey, Purple..

Yes, something to think about.!!.

Nice..

Peace to your day Sir..xx

Mo..xx

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Mr. Argon said:

Why is blood red?

Hi Again Sir..xx

I just had a thought..

I Know Red, is the Colour of Power.. It rules the Sacral Area, of the Sexual Organs..

This is Where, New Life Comes From...

So Maybe it Means, The Power Of Life..... Regeneration, In the Gift of Children.. Who live on After Us..

Blood is Very Powerful.. This is Our Life Essence in the Physical Body...

My thoughts..lol..

Peace Again. To you Mr Argon..

Mo..xx

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, MauriOra said:

Blood is Very Powerful.. This is Our Life Essence in the Physical Body...

Yes.. what is also interesting is that plant leafs, stems, and grass  are green.. when you look at the nature its vegetation is green. I would call green the color of life. So why is animal and human blood red? Red is complementary to green - the opposite color, and red blood is life essence.

Edited by Mr. Argon
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Mr. Argon said:

Yes.. what is also interesting is that plant leafs, stems, and grass  are green.. when you look at the nature its vegetation is green. I would call green the color of life. So why is animal and human blood red? Red is complementary to green - the opposite color, and red blood is life essence.

Yes,

I Would Call Green the Colour of Life too..!!! I Love Nature, and Yes Nature is Life..

As to The Reason Why Blood is Red...

hmm..

That ....I will Meditate On..because it is an Interesting Question..

Thankyou for the Mind Challenge..

Mo..xx

• Like 1

Just now, MauriOra said:

Yes,

I Would Call Green the Colour of Life too..!!! I Love Nature, and Yes Nature is Life..

As to The Reason Why Blood is Red...

hmm..

That ....I will Meditate On..because it is an Interesting Question..

Thankyou for the Mind Challenge..

Mo..xx

I think it is because the opposites are connected, poles of the same circle - mirrors. Green is inverted Red ad vice versa..

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Mr. Argon said:

I think it is because the opposites are connected, poles of the same circle - mirrors. Green is inverted Red ad vice versa..

Interesting Indeed..Thankyou for your thoughts..

I have another thought also,

RED, Physical, Material..Body..

GREEN, Etheric, Spirit, Feeling..

PURPLE..Mind, Universal Consciousness...SOUL.. All knowing..

Mo..xx

Edited by MauriOra
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Mr. Argon said:

Why is blood red?

http://scienceline.ucsb.edu/getkey.php?key=2419

Why Do Our Veins Often Look Blue if Blood Is Actually Red?

https://www.sciencealert.com/why-are-white-people-s-veins-blue-when-blood-is-red

• Like 2

• 1 year later...
On ‎1‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 11:19 AM, Podo said:

Colour is very important to people on the autism spectrum. I have two autistic cousins, and I myself am (minorly, but diagnosably) on the spectrum. Things that I like are shades of blues, greens, and greys in my mind, whereas things that I dislike are yellows and oranges. My two cousins have the same experiences, but with different colours as being good and bad. None of us can really articulate why a thing is a particular colour, but the colours are very important.

I am also autistic and I have synesthesia. One part of my synesthesia is ordinal linguistic personification (OLP). To me colors have personalities, as do numbers and letters. Green, red and blue together are bullies but blue is okay when he's by himself. Red is just a follower of green. The number seven is safe. It protects me and has a magical quality to it. Thursday is a good day and October is a safe month. The other part of my synesthesia is I can taste emotions. Yup, I'm weird.

• Like 1

On 1/22/2018 at 2:43 PM, Still Waters said:

Angry people “see red” 

I had serious problems with anger which have now been resolved.  However, I remember very clearly an incident which happened only a few years ago and when my anger had much reduced.  Nor surprisingly, it happened when I got angry at someone, this when driving in the car, the "someone" being my passenger.  I was driving at the time through a flat landscape with a lot of sky.  I felt the anger rising.  Suddenly I was aware that the grey, cloudy sky had turned a red colour.  Not a strong red, but like red mist.  That made me realise that, assuming other angry people are as I was, then they too "see red" and that seeing red is very real.  People may be unaware, as I appear to have been, of seeing red because the intensity of the emotion could get in the way.  I think I "saw red" because I had become considerably calmer by then and therefore had more awareness/detachment regarding my condition. 

Personally, I associate blue with calm and detachment. Don't know if that is general.

Edited by littlebrowndragon