Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Tsunami warning on B.C. coast, Alaska

Daughter of the Nine Moons

Tsunami warning on B.C. coast after large earthquake southeast of Alaska

8.2 magnitude quake struck in Gulf of Alaska at a depth of 10 km

Thomson Reuters · Posted: January 23rd 2018, 5:27:41 AM | Last Updated: 13 minutes ago

A tsunami warning is in effect for coastal British Columbia and parts of Alaska after an earthquake of magnitude 8.2 struck 256 kilometres southeast of Chiniak, Alaska, at a depth of 10 kilometres.

The quake struck at 1:31 a.m. PT and prompted a tsunami warning for the entire B.C. coast and a tsunami watch for the entire U.S. west coast, the U.S. Tsunami Warning System said. 

http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/alaska-earthquake-tsunami-1.4499558

• Like 5

I've just come across this:

BREAKING

Tsunami warnings have been lifted for coastal communities in B.C.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/world/tsunami-warning-for-b-c-s-coast-is-cancelled-1.3771391

And now this:

Officials at the National Tsunami Center canceled the warning after a few tense hours after waves failed to show up in coastal Alaska communities.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-01-23/alaska-earthquake-prompts-tsunami-warning

• Like 9

Strike-slip fault on the under-riding plate south of the trench. Not much seafloor elevation change (a little, because there is an oblique element) which would be a tsunami generation mechanism. It's the mega-thrust earthquakes that one needs to watch out for.

There have been many large megathrust earthquakes there (even within the last century) and there will be many more. Happily this one wasn't more problematic.

https://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/tectonic/images/aleutian_tsum.pdf

Edited by Socks Junior
  • Like 5

5 hours ago, Daughter of the Nine Moons said:

That's good news Still Waters.

And I have to say, the news came from the poster with the most appropriate name to deliver it! :lol:

• Like 7

I was evacuated this morning at 3:00-ish during the tsunami warning. The warning was lifted and nothing was damaged, but it was quite an eventful evening/morning.

• Like 8

Yeah, well. Off-shore drilling is A-OK, ya know. 

Everywhere but Mar-a-lago, apparently.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ChaosRose said:

Could you provide a reasoned mechanism whereby this earthquake was caused by offshore drilling? Or is this "thought" simply based on a misunderstanding of geology? 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ChaosRose said:

@Socks Junior is right. There has been layer upon layer of tsunami deposits in that area for thousands of years, and sadly enough, layer upon layer of whole Indian villages.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ChaosRose said:

What frustrates me is that American off-shore drilling legislation now have the potential to affect MY home and MY city, despite being a foreign nation. I'm not happy about this. 

20 hours ago, Daughter of the Nine Moons said:

I'm glad to hear it Podo. 

Thanks very much :lol:

• Like 1