Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Strange Things Happening In My House

PaulJamesWalsh

Hi, my name is Paul, and I'm a 24 year old Canadian that's been experiencing some very strange things happening around my parents house, and was hoping to find an explanation or maybe some suggestions as to what might be going on. These things that are happening are very eerie, and in some cases pretty scary, so I'm looking for anyone that might be able to shed some light on the situation, or to help put my concerns at rest.

My parents recently bought this house, about 2 years ago to be exact, and I have only stayed here a handful of times as I am mostly busy traveling. I have been staying at the house for a total of about 3 weeks now, and have been noticing a couple things that have caught my attention. Before I go on, I should tell you that the house is fairly new, 12 years my parents said, and they are the second family to have occupied this home, they recently did some major renovations upstairs, and are a part of a new community in a sub-division which is part of an otherwise older farm community. Here are some of the things that have happened in the last 3 weeks that I have been here.

One of the first things that was very apparent upon being in the house was that the basement had an extremely weird feeling to it. I like to think that I can pick up on vibes very well, it's something that even my friends growing up have noticed and say is a bit different about me, maybe were all wrong, but  the second you walk down into the basement there is no denying that you get an overwhelming feeling of unhappiness and coldness. At first I dismissed this because I realized there wasn't a whole lot of natural light that got through the windows down there, and the gray paint scheme was pretty dreary and didn't help much to set a happy mood, but a week or so later was when I started to notice some weird things happening down there. The entire downstairs is carpeted, so you can never really hear when someone is coming up or down the stairs  because they are fairly new and do not creak whatsoever, but I started to notice sounds like somebody was dragging there feet across the carpet. Always in 3's, never more never less. It happens mostly during the daytime, but sometimes at night as well,  They would happen when I would be watching T.V or reading a book in the living room, and would come from the hallway just around the corner and many times from the stairs. Again I dismissed these as nothing and told myself they had something to do with people walking upstairs or even the dog, but I've been here quite a few times by myself and the noises still occur. There's another strange thing that seems to happen every night around the same time that really gives me goosebumps and I can't find a rational explanation for it. At 3AM, every night ( I'm a bit of a night owl so I'm always going to bed late ) it's as if every minute noise and everything in the house just stops... It falls so eerily silent, we have a big clock downstairs on the wall and I noticed that even the ticking noise of the clock seems to disappear completely. Even breathing seems to be at a suppressed reduction and it happens EVERY night. Following the silence is when the really strange things start to happen

There are 2 bedrooms at the end of the hallway in the basement, one with 2 windows, the other with none, I sleep in the one with windows. I noticed that after getting into bed around 3:15-3:30 AM that there would sometimes be loud bangs on the windows from the outside, as it someone was punching the window very strongly with force. My Mother told me that we have rabbits living under our deck where the windows are, so I didn't really think anything of it, but I went under the deck to check it out one night and couldn't make sense of it, because our entire backyard is covered in a foot of snow right now, and there was no ice against the windows just snow, and not a sign of any rabbits living there as I found no droppings or footprints whatsoever. The other strange thing is that the door to the other bedroom continuously opens  and shuts by itself, I can hear it throughout the night and occasionally during the daytime, it freaks me out and I don't leave any windows open because it's freezing outside so I don't know why it would happen. The last couple nights I've experienced even scarier things which is actually what prompted me to join this website and hopefully get some answers. Last 2 nights the door to my room would shake rather violently for about 5 seconds and then stop, afterwards a large shadow would block the hallway light coming in through the door and as I got up to run to the door it would immediately disappear. Last night it shook so hard that my satchel and a couple of my mothers shoes that are in a holder on the back of the door completely fell off. I notice these shadowy figures every time I look into mirrors out of the corner of my eye and they are very tall and narrow, it CONSTANTLY feels like there are eyes watching me, and It's starting to freak me out. All throughout the night there are these extremely high pitched humming noises and loud generator sounds coming from outside but neither us nor our neighbors have anything outside the side of the houses that would produce such a strange noise. Our backyards back onto a large farm field that hasn't been used in years so the noises couldn't be coming from there either. The last strange thing I have noticed is that things seem to be "misplacing" themselves all the time. the television remotes tur up in odd places like the refrigerator or in my brothers toy chest, and the toilet seat and the shower curtain are always opposite from how I left them. I am 100% the only person in the house who is using the basement during the nighttime so many of these things are perplexing and I'm starting to get more frightened every night. 

Does anybody experience things like this that are natural occurrences or have an explanation as to why these things are happening? Any help would be much appreciated! Cheers. 

56 minutes ago, PaulJamesWalsh said:

Does anybody experience things like this that are natural occurrences or have an explanation as to why these things are happening? Any help would be much appreciated! Cheers. 

It does sound like fairly typical haunting phenomena. Most experts would probably suggest some type of  cleansing activity like using sage. I am not an expert on that but you can get info on-line on cleansing a haunting.

See if the noises as well as the door opening and closing coincide with your heat turning on and off. Make sure you have functioning carbon monoxide detectors, high levels of carbon monoxide can make you think you have ghosts. Also look into hypnagogic/hypnopompic hallucinations, this might explain some of your issues. 

http://hollowhill.com/haunted-houses-and-carbon-monoxide/

https://www.sleepassociation.org/patients-general-public/hallucinations-during-sleep/

https://www.today.com/health/have-you-seen-ghost-there-are-medical-reasons-t104377

Edited by SecretSanta
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, SecretSanta said:

See if the noises as well as the door opening and closing coincide with your heat turning on and off. Make sure you have functioning carbon monoxide detectors, high levels of carbon monoxide can make you think you have ghosts. Also look into hypnagogic/hypnopompic hallucinations, this might explain some of your issues. 

https://www.sleepassociation.org/patients-general-public/hallucinations-during-sleep/

https://www.today.com/health/have-you-seen-ghost-there-are-medical-reasons-t104377

Thanks for posting those links. I took a look at the articles and unfortunately I don't think that these hypnagogic/hypnopompic hallucinations are something that are occurring with me. I have been lucid dreaming most of my life, and have never once experienced anything like sleep paralysis or had any hallucinations right before bed, I will also note that I don't take any type of drugs whatsoever, and I very rarely drink. I went and checked my carbon monoxide detectors as suggested, and nothing was out of the ordinary there either. My parents actually got a new one installed when they bought the house 2 years ago. Last night I fell asleep on the couch and was woken up by the loud humming noises I described in my OP. When I got up I was freaked out as I found the microwave light was on and was running by itself but had no time display on it, and all the lights were turned on even though I had turned them off before I went to bed. I checked with my parents and nobody had been in the basement. Should I be consulting a paranormal investigator about these strange experiences? The thing is that I travel a lot and am moving to Australia within a few weeks, so I won't be back for a year or so. I just want to make sure everything is okay before I leave especially since my parents are rather conservative and won't even give a single thought to the fact that there might be something larger at play than just some weird coincidences.  

18 hours ago, SecretSanta said:

Wow awesome links ! Thanks !

• Like 1

It's possible someone died in the house with the first family that lived there.   Or the house may be built over an old grave.  You might look online to find someone provide a cleansing to free the house of this entity.

I lived at one time in a home where someone may have been killed in.  On the inside of the master bedroom, about eye-level, was a round hole that didn't go all the way through the door.  Could have been a bullet hole.  We heard noises and voices as well, and felt we were always being watched.

Edited by Brandy333