Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Toilet breaks in lesson.

Missjem

I am a primary school (year 6). I don't let children go to the toilet during lessons. Would you have a problem with that rule for your child?

13 minutes ago, Missjem said:

I am a primary school (year 6). I don't let children go to the toilet during lessons. Would you have a problem with that rule for your child?

No, because my kids are home schooled.

Edited by XenoFish
  • Like 1

Jemma, isn't there a policy in place that covers all the classes in your school? Surely individual teachers can't make their own rules about this.

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, ouija ouija said:

Jemma, isn't there a policy in place that covers all the classes in your school? Surely individual teachers can't make their own rules about this.

It is down to teacher discretion.

One of the mums was unhappy because I didn't let her daughter go yesterday and made her wait for the afternoon. She asked 5 minutes after lunch.

Of course medical conditions are an exception to the rule.

If the same child was asking to be excused several times during the class and was not ill, that would be an appropriate response.  Perhaps you can explain how you'd discern the difference between a child that was faking and one that really needed relief?  If I had a child in school who soiled their clothes and suffered humiliation due to such a rule,  I'd do my best to get you fired.

edit to add - you should research the term - "gastro-colic reflex".  That would explain the child's timing for her need to visit the lavatory.

Also, Welcome to UM!

Edited by and then
  • Like 4

7 minutes ago, and then said:

If the same child was asking to be excused several times during the class and was not ill, that would be an appropriate response.  Perhaps you can explain how you'd discern the difference between a child that was faking and one that really needed relief?  If I had a child in school who soiled their clothes and suffered humiliation due to such a rule,  I'd do my best to get you fired.

edit to add - you should research the term - "gastro-colic reflex".  That would explain the child's timing for her need to visit the lavatory.

Also, Welcome to UM!

It is not about noticing the difference between children trying to take advantage or those that need to go. The rule is break and lunch only, they are 10 and 11 they should be able to manage their toilet  needs at breaktime.

Edited by Missjem

Jemma, how far away from the classroom are the toilets? If a child went to the toilet, how long would they be away from the lesson? 

Some kids may do this systematic, I was one of them.
I asked to go to the toilet several times aday,
but most of the time I just had to stretch my legs and get some quiet time alone in the corridor.

I have adhd and had huge problem to sit and concentrate a whole day.
So I came up with things to find a reason to walkaround abit.
Like breaking my pen so I had to go to the teachers lectern and sharpen my pen. 
I threw away my rubber to the left and then went looking for it on the right.
Allways forgetting stuff in my locker (on purpose) so I could go and get it.

If the teacher asked a question if anyone wanted to read something or knew the answer for a question.
I allways put my hand up even if I didnt know the answer, that way I was allowed to do something other than just sit still and listen.

Maybe you should talk to the kid/s that do this and ask them why they do what they do.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Missjem said:

It is not about noticing the difference between children trying to take advantage or those that need to go. The rule is break and lunch only, they are 10 and 11 they should be able to manage their toilet  needs at breaktime.

What? Do you think their bladders and colons have a timer? No, they need to be emptied when full for proper health. Your cruel and ridiculously ignorant. 

• Like 4

38 minutes ago, Herr Falukorv said:

I allways put my hand up even if I didnt know the answer, that way I was allowed to do something other than just sit still and listen.

Student's behaviors like this would be noticed and could be treated differently.  Using a blanket policy that refuses a child the right to go to the bathroom unless they're known to be sick is just unacceptable.  As I said, refuse my kid the right to void and they have a humiliating accident, you'd be on my list in a very committed way.  It would be an outrageous lapse in decency by an educator.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, and then said:

Student's behaviors like this would be noticed and could be treated differently.  Using a blanket policy that refuses a child the right to go to the bathroom unless they're known to be sick is just unacceptable.  As I said, refuse my kid the right to void and they have a humiliating accident, you'd be on my list in a very committed way.  It would be an outrageous lapse in decency by an educator.

They would have to move away and leave no forwarding address if one of my boys ever soiled themselves.......

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Piney said:

They would have to move away and leave no forwarding address if one of my boys ever soiled themselves.......

Look. We have quite a few incidents where the little ones do soil themselves due to the language barrier. We have bathroom routines where we take them before and after break (since they are 6/7) to the bathroom. But sometimes the little ones (especially first three months) don't ask or simply just don't say. Either way...before you kill us...sometimes we are innocent

• Like 2

2 hours ago, XenoFish said:

I always thought teachers were supposed to take a child's well-being into consideration first?

We do

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Missjem said:

I have been a teacher for many years and I am blessed enough to be a manager now. If you refuse my children. (And when I say my I mean the ones in school) the bathroom there will be trouble. 

A six year old child who wants to go to the bathroom directly after break has a very good reason.

I know of kids that are bullied during break and refuse to go to the toilet in break times. So they go after break. Ever asked the little one why they don't go in break?

Ever went to the kid and explained that we have to go in break and why we have to go in break?

Could have bladder issues...they do arise quite quickly...ask me...I am female...

Maybe he really needs to pass wind...did you have this convo with your kids? I do. There is a diff between I need to step outside and I need the bathroom....

Or he /she could simply be scared to go to the toilet when every one is there cause they feel overwhelmed. I mean...he/she is 6. Sometimes I don't like a lot of people around me...never mimd and a lot of people in the toilet..

Edited by DebDandelion
  • Like 6

5 hours ago, Missjem said:

I have to add. We firmly believe that the teacher becomes the mother at school since we don't have guidance Councillors etc. 

So I say to my teachers. Imagine this was your kid. If he asked to go to the bathroom/ told you his/her story...how would u react. 

Now treat strangers children the same way u would your own.

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, DebDandelion said:

Look. We have quite a few incidents where the little ones do soil themselves due to the language barrier. We have bathroom routines where we take them before and after break (since they are 6/7) to the bathroom. But sometimes the little ones (especially first three months) don't ask or simply just don't say. Either way...before you kill us...sometimes we are innocent

Oh, I understand that. But the OP has a control issues

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, DebDandelion said:

...before you kill us...

I'm a Quaker and a Native traditionalist. I would only kill for survival or to protect my family

Edited by Piney
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, ouija ouija said:

Jemma, how far away from the classroom are the toilets? If a child went to the toilet, how long would they be away from the lesson? 

They are outside my classroom. Probably be away five minutes top.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Missjem said:

They are outside my classroom. Probably be away five minutes top.

Then let them go when they want! Emphasise that break times are also toilet breaks and to go during lesson time is only an exception when really necessary. Most children will go along with that. You would soon notice if children were asking to leave class just for the fun of it and could nip that in the bud.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, and then said:

It was 30 years ago I cant remember if I was ever denied to use the bathroom.
But I dont think so I had very tolerating and kind teachers.

• Like 1