Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

For Those Who Don't Believe....in Religion

Guyver

25 minutes ago, Stubbly_Dooright said:

You know, I have often used various mental, or emotional, or other thinking techniques and ideas, to keep me from going zonkers while working in retail. (up to even today! :o  ;)  ) I try meditating, (my weird way) and I think it works, but a lot of times, I have other thankful thoughts or other thoughts. The thing is, this meditating thing here might be what I need for working in retail. I'm going to have to tap into that more often. :yes: 

giphy.gif

More and more, I find out about your experiences of the people you take care of. You know, I worry about you, and I read this, I felt cold inside. OMG!!!! Your life is going to give me a heart attack!!!! :o   

I often wonder at the close calls I have often had. Sometimes, I think something is watching out for me. Sometimes it's just how my instincts and reactions were actually part of that. It's gets me all crazy, when I try to figure it out. :w00t:  :sk  

No worries, Sharon, life is good, I am no longer working on my own anymore. I have a wonderful job, I am a personal assistant now for the owner of our facility and with it comes tons of training. 

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Will Due said:

Oh I see. Confirm the UB false? When have I ever said that?

The authors of the Urantia Book say that because the mandate of their superiors to limit what can be revealed about science within the book, the science relative to c.1934, they knew "mistakes" would be uncovered by those who took it upon themselves to study the papers in later times like today.

They go on to say that basically, it won't matter because the time had come for frank statements to be made about all of these things, especially other things than science which might take away from its validity to some (probably like yourself) which of course is a problem. A problem that there will be some who will reject it all out of hand because of the science. That's how I interpret what is written in the book about this problem you're asking about.

If you want an honest personal assessment of how I feel about the UB, it just makes sense to me. Keep in mind, I've read it and reread it, I don't know how many times. When I consider the UB in its entirety, taken as a whole, it all makes sense because many things about what it says can't be materially proven until many years from now. But to me, under my spiritual microscope if you will, it all rings resoundingly true. And the fact that it is clearly, written for a future age enhances it.

But, I'm not unmindful of how large a mouthful of a particular tasting ham sandwich it is. It's definitely not for everyone. I just happen to like how it tastes very much. :)

Hope that helps.

Btw, as fond as I am of the UB, it is just a book. I don't worship it. I believe in and worship God, and therefore, I read the UB. Not the other way around. I do the same thing with the Bible. The books of other mainstream religions I'll admit, I rather ignore. Shame on me I guess.

I didn't say you said it, I said you CAN CONFIRM much of it false, via research.

Yeah right. Sounds like BS to cover up the fact they didn't know what they were talking about. Particularly as Homo erectus remains had already been found in 1921. Their "mistake" was already known as a fabrication even then.

So basically you believe it because it suits you to do so, NOT because it's factual. Sad, but Ok. 

cormac

Edited by cormac mac airt
  • Like 2

27 minutes ago, cormac mac airt said:

I didn't say you said it, I said you CAN CONFIRM much of it false. 

Yeah right. Sounds like BS to cover up the fact they didn't know what they were talking about. Particularly as Homo erectus remains had already been found in 1921. Their "mistake" was already known as a fabrication even then.

So basically you believe it because it suits you to do so, NOT because it's factual. Sad, but Ok. 

cormac

Well there's a lot of sadness to go around I guess. I'm extremely sad that so many I've introduced the papers to are so unintetested in them. But after decades of this, I'm getting better with why this is so. However, a few of my family members are UB readers. My mom, she passed away 15 years ago now, one of my brothers and one of my close lifelong friends.

I have noticed that without living with someone and knowing them very well, which can't happen very easily through a forum like this, that personal familiarity, if it doesn't exist, hampers someone who's close to a total stranger from getting the whole picture about someone like me, and how that doesn't play well for representing something like the UB to others.

Thing is about the Urantia Book, there are about 7 billion people on the planet these days, and from my count, about thirteen total out of all those billions regard the book like I do. Just kidding about thirteen lol, but you get my point.

Nevertheless, evolution will continue. And who knows where all of this will end up. I'm just very thankful that I'm alive now, and not later, nor earlier.

I appreciate that you took some time to read some of the UB cormac. There haven't been many who have done this. I respect your assessment of it. Considering everything, you're pretty much right on the mark. You say you believe in God / a god as you say, and so do some others like dany. I personally am of the opinion that we are on the doorstep of a lot more coming to light. Don't know how. Don't know when. But like my dad told me over and over again, "just do what your Father tells you." So that's all I try to do. God the Father that is.

Edited by Will Due
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, Hammerclaw said:

Why do you feel the need to be so public about such private things? Why do you offer yourself up to ridicule? I've seen how it exasperates you here and how you chafe under it. Your thoughts, your beliefs are your own, sealed unto yourself and inviolate. Why do you make such a public spectacle of them? Why offer them up on the altar of derision and mockery? What, if anything, do you hope to accomplish by doing so? You might as well say you climbed the beanstalk and slew the giant--you'd have just as little evidence and be equally unbelieved. What exactly are you doing here, tilting at windmills?

I answer questions from people They often ask why or how I have certain ideas, values and ethics. 

As far as i am concerned only by knowing a person's background can you come to understand the world view the y live in, and create, and thus understand, and sympathise  with the views and beliefs the y hold.  

Plus, I believe that the only things a human can know for certain come from experienced knowledge, not taught knowledge.

Thus, everything we experience is important in shaping us  So to understand me and my views you have to know a bit about me.

Plus I don't fear the internet as some people do. I do get disappointed in adults who act like children and try to play the man rather than the ball.  But i can deal with that  I've been dealing with adolescents for 45 years :) 

Also, the weakness and anger, and use of mockery, or sarcasm  by others, goes to their character, not mine.

It illustrates their own nature, fears uncertainties etc.  You don't stop bullying by just keeping quiet, and you don't let bullies shut you up. Ever!!! 

Unless you accept that everything I write here is as true as i can understand and  tell it, then you night see me as don Quixote.

I don't see the Don as a comedic or tragic figure, but a noble one, acting on his own knightly principles, and romantic/chivalrous ideals, in a world where those values have passed by

But its more important  than that. I talk about realities which can change the world, and certainly change the lives of individuals  

20 hours ago, danydandan said:

So your Alien God influencing you on the beach actually came from your own mind and not a constructed being? That story about your God changing your opinion of your wife is what I'm talking about.

So either a, the above comment is conflicting as your God certainly influenced you into changing your mind. B, you changed your own mind (I believe this is true) and used this construed being as a catalyst for it. C, if an outside force never changed your mind or opinion then that story on the beach is crap. D, if nothing has changed your mind then you just admitted that your God is only in your own head.

No  That was god speaking to me and giving advice You can believe that or not 

The same voice has given warning of danger, and saved our lives a number of times. It has given words of comfort and power in times of grief and loss .  it has given instructions on how to escape danger, and told us we will be well, because it is watching over us  It possesses knowledge and wisdom i do not and teaches them to me.  It has powers and abilities that i do not and which it shares with me .

I retain complete free will of thought and deed.  Thus my ideas and decisions remain my own, no matter what god tells me, and i am free to act how i chose, no matter what god tells me to do.

This is the difference between a real entity telling you to do something and a part of your mind trying to do the same.

Of course i would be stupid to ignore its advice or warnings, but not even a god can strong arm a human being into compliance. We must agree to its  advice, and make our own choices.  

Edited by Mr Walker

55 minutes ago, Will Due said:

Well there's a lot of sadness to go around I guess. I'm extremely sad that so many I've introduced the papers to are so unintetested in them. But after decades of this, I'm getting better with why this is so. However, a few of my family members are UB readers. My mom, she passed away 15 years ago now, one of my brothers and one of my close lifelong friends.

I have noticed that without living with someone and knowing them very well, which can't happen very easily through a forum like this, that personal familiarity, if it doesn't exist, hampers someone who's close to a total stranger from getting the whole picture about someone like me, and how that doesn't play well for representing something like the UB to others.

Thing is about the Urantia Book, there are about 7 billion people on the planet these days, and from my count, about thirteen total out of all those billions regard the book like I do. Just kidding about thirteen lol, but you get my point.

Nevertheless, evolution will continue. And who knows where all of this will end up. I'm just very thankful that I'm alive now, and not later, nor earlier.

I appreciate that you took some time to read some of the UB cormac. There haven't been many who have done this. I respect your assessment of it. Considering everything, you're pretty much right on the mark. You say you believe in God / a god as you say, and so do some others like dany. I personally am of the opinion that we are on the doorstep of a lot more coming to light. Don't know how. Don't know when. But like my dad told me over and over again, "just do what your Father tells you." So that's all I try to do. God the Father that is.

Will, why would you be sad because people have found paths that suit them, like you have found a path that suits you. 

Geez, if there is so many followers of the UB, what are you doing here, why not start a UB forum?

• Like 2

Just now, Mr Walker said:
2 minutes ago, Mr Walker said:

But i can deal with that  I've been dealing with adolescents for 45 years :) 

Did you put them on "ignore" too when you became offended, exasperated, flustered, as you've been known to do here? Are you here because you need the company and a place to unload all your dreams and frustrations and fantasies and delusional oddities? 

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, danydandan said:

Shyt happens regardless of you being good, bad or indifferent. We are all victims of statistical anomalies.

true BUT medical science has proven around the world that in any similar  cohort of people those with faith have better outcomes in a wide range of issues and medical problems, than those without

There is even scientific /biological evidence as to why this is so. 

A sensible person doesn't smoke, and hope he is the  statistical anomaly who smokes a packet a day and lives to 105, he recognises he is likely to be in the third of smokers who die from smoking. 

2 hours ago, Will Due said:

Cormac, lol, that wasn't very nice. :lol:

Will, to cormac the UB is the equivalent of BS, he doesn’t find it his cup of tea. 

He is an intelligent guy, I am sure you can find other things to talk about that would be a win win for both of you, 

19 hours ago, danydandan said:

Well considering he said this,

He's just contradicting himself, if all his ideas are his own and he can't be persuaded by outside forces. Then how can his God be anything except from his own mind, how can his God compel him to change his mind about his wife or cure a mental addiction etcetera.

I can't see him being able to word spaghetti his way out of this, he will try, but will be unsuccessfull I think.

Haven't been online til now. Both questions now answered 

Of course a human can be persuaded by any logical or reasonable argument. (or a clever illustration, like an analogy or a metaphor )  That does not mean their ideas do not remain their own . 

5 minutes ago, Hammerclaw said:

Did you put them on "ignore" too when you became offended, exasperated, flustered, as you've been known to do here? Are you here because you need the company and a place to unload all your dreams and frustrations and fantasies and delusional oddities? 

:nw:

• Haha 2

19 hours ago, danydandan said:

He certainly seems to ignore posts that shows he's wrong and goes quiet for awhile, then start all over again.

No I try to read and respond to every post But i have a full and active offline life  and so it can be sometime before i respond.  Dont forget; Australia is in a very difernt time zone to Europe . 

11 minutes ago, Sherapy said:

Will, why would you be sad because people have found paths that suit them, like you have found a path that suits you. 

Geez, if there is so many followers of the UB, what are you doing here, why not start a UB forum?

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=sound+of+crickets+chirping+at+night+link&view=detail&mid=AEC73F1DA4FA2ADBDB24AEC73F1DA4FA2ADBDB24&FORM=VIRE

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, Scudbuster said:

But......if that left brained analytical person looked at the available "facts" and determined they were weak, inconclusive, without merit, bogus, false, etc. etc. well, guess what?  Poof:  no god. 

True, but that person would have had no individaul experience with a god, and so, to them, their argument would be logical.

Once they met a god, new data would lead the same critical thinking and  logical analysis to a different conclusion. 

16 hours ago, Jodie.Lynne said:

But he can't be wrong! Even though, AFAIK, he hasn't convinced a single soul that his aliengodbuddy is real.

But we all know he

Egg Shen.png

You said it.

I dont ignore posts that show i am wrong, because the y almost never occur  :) 

16 hours ago, psyche101 said:

No there is not. No evidence at all, that's a complete fabrication. If there was you could provide it. Self delusion is not proof. 

How do you explain religious people who found it wanting and found themselves atheists as a result?

They have been where you are and were not satisfied with it. How can that be if embracing theistic ideologues is the ultimate answer? 

No analogies please. No need for it. I hate your analogies. 

Just recuse YOU have no experience with god, you simply CANNOT claim this proves that NO ONE has such experience. That is not logical and its actually laughable  as an argument against the existence of god. You are saying that your experience alone is valid. Sorry, but mine and Wills are equally valid.  

• The topic was locked

Though I know full well everyone here has agreed to the site rules, and should know them... seems like some folks have perhaps forgotten what that is. 

Thread closed for the nonce for review. Please, everyone do read the site rules in the meantime.