Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

NFL rejects veterans ad for superbowl

Hawken

I think the NFL already went political by allowing players not to stand for the national anthem. I agree with them not to accept this commercial and enflame things further.

My position has been to either require standing (or face suspension) or just do away with the national anthem altogether (my preference). Their current position allows politicization of the game alienating many. I just don't get it, NFL!

Coming from a college town, I've never been much interested in watching millionaires play, anyway.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Hammerclaw said:

Coming from a college town, I've never been much interested in watching millionaires play, anyway.

How true!  It really doesn't get any better than collegiate football.  I just hope that such politicization of the game doesn't creep into the college ranks.  I suspect it will be held at bay by the desire of the players to refrain from harming their earning potential before the fact.  To be clear, I don't disagree with the right of players to protest.  I STRONGLY disagree with their right to do so at work.

• Like 4

Hate your politicians. Don't hate your country. Because if that's the case, LEAVE!

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Hammerclaw said:

I remember the NFL strike years ago and could not understand how so many fans were distraught about a lack of games because a group of millionaires argued with a group of billionaires over a few hundred thousand dollars of revenue from fan spending. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Hawkin said:

This pretty much says it all. 

Good! While I initially supported those kneeling in order to bring attention to the problem of police violence I think its time to take politics out of football. That means all politics including this ad. 

20 minutes ago, Farmer77 said:

Good! While I initially supported those kneeling in order to bring attention to the problem of police violence I think its time to take politics out of football. That means all politics including this ad. 

As a Quaker I consider a protest against a social injustice must be respectful and a sacrifice on your part too. If they want to really protest they should refuse to play. Not insult the country.

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, Piney said:

As a Quaker I consider a protest against a social injustice must be respectful and a sacrifice on your part too. If they want to really protest they should refuse to play. Not insult the country.

I've never seen it as insulting the country but I've also been ringing the bell regarding police violence for years so I think its as important an issue as any others that Americans face.

I don't believe the majority of pushback against the protesters has anything to do with the flag or country and has everything to do with the status quo. I find it kind of ironic that there are actual rules for how to respect a flag and  carrying the flag horizontally violates those rules yet we see that at EVERY NFL game and none of the super patriots out there (not calling you one of them) have ever complained about it. 

I'm torn about your position about not playing. That would be an insult to the city they play for and their fans so IDK how I feel about it. 

Edited by Farmer77

Just now, Farmer77 said:

I've never seen it as insulting the country but I've also been ringing the bell regarding police violence for years so I think its as important an issue as any others that Americans face.

I don't believe the majority of pushback against the protesters has anything to do with the flag or country and has everything to do with the status quo. I actually find it kind of ironic that there are actual rules for how to respect a flag and  carrying the flag horizontally violates those rules yet we see that at EVERY NFL game and none of the super patriots out there (not calling you one of them) have ever complained about it. 

Right off the bat I'm a member of the  smallest minority in the country that's been **** on the hardest. Yet we have the highest enlistment rate per person. I lived in the hood and was not only a personal recipient of police violence but did hard time for something that wasn't even illegal because I was a "dirty Gouldtown Indian".

These overpaid fatasses should make a sacrifice to make a point or at least give some of that loot back in depressed areas to raise awareness. Not act like disrespectful crybabies

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Piney said:

These overpaid fatasses should make a sacrifice to make a point or at least give some of that loot back in depressed areas to raise awareness. Not act like disrespectful crybabies

Many if not most actually do put their money where their mouths are. As a for instance NFL owners’ failure to recognize Colin Kaepernick’s charity work is disgraceful Tweet email 

I'm pretty confused how taking a knee in order to bring attention to an issue which has been deemed a national health epidemic is being a crybaby though. 

15 minutes ago, Farmer77 said:

Many if not most actually do put their money where their mouths are. As a for instance NFL owners’ failure to recognize Colin Kaepernick’s charity work is disgraceful Tweet email 

I'm pretty confused how taking a knee in order to bring attention to an issue which has been deemed a national health epidemic is being a crybaby though. 

That's one man. Maybe they should walk around the hood and make some videos.

I was always on both my sister's cases about protests. They don't work. Educate people with flyers and videos. The people that carry on the loudest are the easiest to ignore and there is always the protesters acting like fools with drums, face paint and silly costumes. They turn people off on the cause they are suppose to support.

• Like 2

x876cJz.jpg

Being British, I can sit back, open a bag of popcorn, and enjoy this thread :D

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, RoofGardener said:

x876cJz.jpg

Being British, I can sit back, open a bag of popcorn, and enjoy this thread :D

Enjoy!:lol:

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Piney said:

That's one man. Maybe they should walk around the hood and make some videos.

I was always on both my sister's cases about protests. They don't work. Educate people with flyers and videos. The people that carry on the loudest are the easiest to ignore and there is always the protesters acting like fools with drums, face paint and silly costumes. They turn people off on the cause they are suppose to support.

IDK I think the protest worked very well until the racist in chief hijacked it. For a while this nation was actually speaking about police violence.The WH media machine then turned the conversation and the narrative turned towards it being about disrespecting the nation. 

For a minute though the protest did work, nationalism with a twinge of racism and class warfare are just too easy to manipulate though.  

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Farmer77 said:

IDK I think the protest worked very well until the racist in chief hijacked it. For a while this nation was actually speaking about police violence.The WH media machine then turned the conversation and the narrative turned towards it being about disrespecting the nation. 

For a minute though the protest did work, nationalism with a twinge of racism and class warfare are just too easy to manipulate though.  

Do you go to the hood? Volunteer for the VOA or ARC?

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Farmer77 said:

He refused to stand for the national anthem. The obvious symbology of that is a statement against the Nation, not against the Police. He chose the timing, venue and method of his "protest" unwisely.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Farmer77 said:

Not really...if you go back through the initial threads, news articles comments and public discussions, a lot of people were confused about the actual message. If anyone is confused about what you are protesting whether it be the Women's March, BLM or this, your protest has failed. 

Given that protesting has become a new national past time, let's work on cohesion within the groups. Get everyone on the same page, with matching signs, matching slogans and appoint someone to be the public face of the movement. Otherwise, you'll have Jimmy Kimmel fans watching your protesters on late-night TV struggle to give definitive answers about their cause.

Perfect example: recently, there was a women's march in a major Canadian city near me. The local Police posted about it on Facebook which is good cause I haven't heard a peep about it otherwise. But I digress. The Facebook comments on that post were very much the same as our NFL threads - no one knew what the march was about. Several of the protesters chimed in to help but of course, each of them had different answers so the whole march looked shoddy and amateurish (best comment of the thread was a young girl who posted "What are we marching for? Rights we already have?" That comment almost reached the top in popularity.)

• Like 2

The NFL is trying to play both sides so they don't lose the viewership of either. A few months ago they were trying to end the kneeling after their ratings dropped and the money dipped and now they're trying to balance the scales by banning a Vet's ad. Either way, people watch late night TV and sports to forget about politics. They tend not to appreciate being lectured 24/7.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Dark_Grey said:

Not really...if you go back through the initial threads, news articles comments and public discussions, a lot of people were confused about the actual message. If anyone is confused about what you are protesting whether it be the Women's March, BLM or this, your protest has failed. 

LOL that's a pretty high bar you're setting. We have a lot of dumb mother ****ers in this nation, I have a hard time seeing any issue not confusing some people. 

Given that protesting has become a new national past time, let's work on cohesion within the groups. Get everyone on the same page, with matching signs, matching slogans and appoint someone to be the public face of the movement. Otherwise, you'll have Jimmy Kimmel fans watching your protesters on late-night TV struggle to give definitive answers about their cause.

Until Trump's ridiculous antics those kneeling did have cohesion. Actually they had mostly died down until he got involved, after that it just became a big middle finger to Trump. 

Perfect example: recently, there was a women's march in a major Canadian city near me. The local Police posted about it on Facebook which is good cause I haven't heard a peep about it otherwise. But I digress. The Facebook comments on that post were very much the same as our NFL threads - no one knew what the march was about. Several of the protesters chimed in to help but of course, each of them had different answers so the whole march looked shoddy and amateurish (best comment of the thread was a young girl who posted "What are we marching for? Rights we already have?" That comment almost reached the top in populari

That's funny last years womens march was a mess too. 

"What are we marching for? Rights we already have?"

This quote however is kind of chilling.

I never understood the fear of "Regressive" politics until recently. I now get it though. Just because we have a right today sure as hell doesn't mean we'll have it tomorrow. When those in power seem to all be aligned against you or your wellbeing then perhaps we do need to march for rights we already have. 

Edited by Farmer77
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Farmer77 said:

LOL that's a pretty high bar you're setting. We have a lot of dumb mother ****ers in this nation, I have a hard time seeing any issue not confusing some people. 

Agreed

Until Trump's ridiculous antics those kneeling did have cohesion. Actually they had mostly died down until he got involved, after that it just became a big middle finger to Trump. 

Agreed

That's funny last years womens march was a mess too. 

Agreed x2

I never understood the fear of "Regressive" politics until recently. I now get it though. Just because we have a right today sure as hell doesn't mean we'll have it tomorrow. When those in power seem to all be aligned against you or your well being then perhaps we do need to march for rights we already have. 

It's not a bad thing to remind those in power and the people watching that some of us are actually paying attention. 

• Like 2

Just now, Dark_Grey said:

Agreed

Agreed

Agreed x2

It's not a bad thing to remind those in power and the people watching that some of us are actually paying attention. 

Well....what fun is that? LOL :lol: 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Farmer77 said:

Well....what fun is that? LOL :lol: 

You and I agree more often than not lol. Even though we come at these issues from different sides, we seem to "get" the others' perspective without much trouble. Does it have anything to do with you being a "special farmer" and my profile pic is a kid smoking something DOOB-ious? The herb transcends politics! :tsu:

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Dark_Grey said:

You and I agree more often than not lol. Even though we come at these issues from different sides, we seem to "get" the others' perspective without much trouble. Does it have anything to do with you being a "special farmer" and my profile pic is a kid smoking something DOOB-ious? The herb transcends politics! :tsu:

The great unifier! :D

• Like 3