Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Ghostly 'black monk' captured in Castle photo

Still Waters

A father-of-two claims to have taken a picture of a ghostly 'black monk' in the grounds of a medieval castle.

Jon Wickes, 50, took his 12-year-old son Harry Wickes to Eynsford Castle, in Kent, because he was learning about medieval castles at school and the pair took some photographs.

What they didn't expect to see when they looked back over them was an eerie black-hooded figure glaring towards the camera from the opposite end of the site.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5307729/Ghostly-black-monk-appears-picture-castle.html

• Like 6

Looks like somebody dressed up as an extra to a cheap BBC fantasy serial from the 70s/80s. Is it that easy to get an article made about your photos? Have somebody dress up in a costume, go to a depressing looking ruin and make a snapshot of them?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Amanda Evans said:

Although it's likely to be a fake,  it's quite creepy...

It could be a prank at the expense of the photographer. Many Jersey Devil sightings are Woodjins messing with unwanted nibbers.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Piney said:

It could be a prank at the expense of the photographer. Many Jersey Devil sightings are Woodjins messing with unwanted nibbers.

And those guys afew years back who dressed up in cloaks and dropped chunks of raw meat at playgrounds.... :lol:

• Like 1

Just now, Orphalesion said:

And those guys afew years back who dressed up in cloaks and dropped chunks of raw meat at playgrounds.... :lol:

:lol:

I had friends in the 80s who were accused of being Satanists because they were metal heads so they set up a "altar" with roadkills and bones they found.

• Like 6

Kinda looks like a doorway. 

Can’t find any pictures online from that particular angle just yet.

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, SecretSanta said:

Kinda looks like a doorway. 

Can’t find any pictures online from that particular angle just yet.

That's already been looked at.

'When I posted the image online on a paranormal group, there were suggestions that it was just a hole in the wall but someone has actually gone there to take pictures and confirm that's not the case.'

• Like 7

12 minutes ago, Still Waters said:

That's already been looked at.

Gotcha! Must have missed that, I have the hardest time loading pages from The DailyMail and The Sun. 

All in all, I find this a very credible story especially since the black monk was already a previously claimed entity, and etc.. Too many sincere people beyond this story have claimed ghost sightings for me to believe every single photo is a fake. 

Also I have come to believe from so many examples and testimonies that people that have had Near Death Experiences (like this father) are more likely to be psychic and draw psychic activity around them. (as if their reach beyond the veil becomes a tad greater when back in body)

As to the skeptics, as I said before, no photo or video will be considered likely a ghost by people with an entrenched disbelief/dislike in such things.

Edited by papageorge1
  • Like 3

17 hours ago, papageorge1 said:

All in all, I find this a very credible story especially since the black monk was already a previously claimed entity

Which is exactly why (if it's faked - which is highly likely) a 'black monk' was chosen. 

17 hours ago, papageorge1 said:

Too many sincere people beyond this story

But you have no real idea how 'sincere' these people are. (Even if you knew them)

18 hours ago, papageorge1 said:

for me to believe every single photo is a fake

Every single photo is definitely not a fake. There are lots of other explanations. Exposures, pareidolia, reflections, misidentification, the list goes on. 

Also I have come to believe from so many examples and testimonies that people that have had Near Death Experiences (like this father) are more likely to be psychic and draw psychic activity around them. (as if their reach beyond the veil becomes a tad greater when back in body)

Pure 'made up' speculation Never, ever proven (and probably never, ever will.)

As to the skeptics, as I said before, no photo or video will be considered likely a ghost by people with an entrenched disbelief/dislike in such things.

See, here's the thing. There's a massive difference between 'disbelief' and 'dislike'. I like bigfoot. I really like him. But I don't believe in him. I like ghosts too, I think they're great. But I certainly don't believe in them. Same with alien visitation, Nessie, and many, many more.  I'd love to believe these things are real, and believe me, I'll be the first to hold my hand up and say "Boy was I wrong!" if any are proved, but I'm afraid up until then I'm just going to file them under 'Myth', 'Fantasy' and 'BS'.

• Like 4

Great photo. I'm no skeptic but the fact that the figure is standing squarely in the middle of the landing makes me just a little suspect. 

That's a Bear ! But they are extinct in England so it's a cryptid not a ghost ! That's incredible !

*Snip*

(Don't take me seriously please...)

Edited by Still Waters
Picture is copyrighted

1 hour ago, Jon the frog said:

That's a Bear ! But they are extinct in England so it's a cryptid not a ghost ! That's incredible !

(Don't take me seriously please...)

There's a ghost of a bear at the Tower of London.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, papageorge1 said:

All in all, I find this a very credible story

Credible story? All we have as any sort of proof is the guy's word that the guy in the costume squatting in the background of his photo "wasn't there!" That's not credible. Even if he didn't notice the guy being there, it's a person wearing a dark robe on a dreary day, moving in front of dark walls. There's a possibility it's just some guy he overlooked.

1 hour ago, Stiff said:

See, here's the thing. There's a massive difference between 'disbelief' and 'dislike'. I like bigfoot. I really like him. But I don't believe in him. I like ghosts too, I think they're great. But I certainly don't believe in them. Same with alien visitation, Nessie, and many, many more.  I'd love to believe these things are real, and believe me, I'll be the first to hold my hand up and say "Boy was I wrong!" if any are proved, but I'm afraid up until then I'm just going to file them under 'Myth', 'Fantasy' and 'BS'.

^ This. Few things that are related to paranormal activities would make me happier than someone discovering that fairies and unicorns are real. Still not gonna jump at every eye witness report that claims to have seen some. 

Edited by Orphalesion
  • Like 2

33 minutes ago, Orphalesion said:

Credible story? All we have as any sort of proof is the guy's word that the guy in the costume squatting in the background of his photo "wasn't there!" That's not credible. Even if he didn't notice the guy being there, it's a person wearing a dark robe on a dreary day, moving in front of dark walls. There's a possibility it's just some guy he overlooked.

^ This. Few things that are related to paranormal activities would make me happier than someone discovering that fairies and unicorns are real. Still not gonna jump at every eye witness report that claims to have seen some. 

Did he even actually make the claim that they didn't see the figure while they were taking the pic? 

I'll admit I sort of skimmed the article, but I don't remember reading that. 

It just looks like someone is actually there.

I have to say, there are some occultists who might like the atmosphere.

Sometimes, they can even get permission to be at ruins, but they are usually privately owned. This castle is managed by English Heritage and I doubt they'd give that kind of permission. 

That said, an occultist in broad daylight would be obvious to anyone visiting the site, and they'd be way more likely to go at night. 

17 minutes ago, ChaosRose said:

Did he even actually make the claim that they didn't see the figure while they were taking the pic? 

I'll admit I sort of skimmed the article, but I don't remember reading that. 

Yes he did.

Unsure of what the black shadowy man was, Mr Wickes enlisted a paranormal investigator as he had not noticed anyone around when taking the photograph

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, highdesert50 said:

Have you ever wondered why ghosts are clothed. They are after all physically dead.  So, why the clothing? Hmmm.

It presumably means that cotton fibre, leather and wool experience an afterlife too

Odd we never see any ghosts of old socks though.....

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Still Waters said:

Yes he did.

Thanks. 

I don't believe him for a second. 

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, highdesert50 said:

Have you ever wondered why ghosts are clothed. They are after all physically dead.  So, why the clothing? Hmmm.

Maybe they aren't ghosts.

• Like 2