Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Ghostly 'black monk' captured in Castle photo

Still Waters

The ghost appears to be about 2 ft tall.

However, if we assume it's just the ghost of a monk's cowl, it may be that some of it is drapped across the ground, out of shot.   There is no evidence that the ghost of child is hidden under the cowl ;) 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, highdesert50 said:

Have you ever wondered why ghosts are clothed. They are after all physically dead.  So, why the clothing? Hmmm.

There was actually a whole topic about ghost in clothes last summer:

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Orphalesion said:

There was actually a whole topic about ghost in clothes last summer:

They might not all be figments, though. 

There seems to be something that is somewhat tangible, but it could still come from our subconscious. 

At least some of the time. 

Some of the time, it's probably just people pranking each other. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, ChaosRose said:

They might not all be figments, though. 

There seems to be something that is somewhat tangible, but it could still come from our subconscious. 

At least some of the time. 

Some of the time, it's probably just people pranking each other. 

Definitely there is lots of possibilities.

Without kidding, i don't know about the perspective effect between the wall, stair and fence because the figure look like less than 1m tall if we look at his environment. Could be a seated dog, a badger, don't know but if it's a monk, he was dwarf.

Cannot be a bear finally because it's to small :(

Edited by Jon the frog
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Stiff said:

Which is exactly why (if it's faked - which is highly likely) a 'black monk' was chosen. 

But you have no real idea how 'sincere' these people are. (Even if you knew them)

Every single photo is definitely not a fake. There are lots of other explanations. Exposures, pareidolia, reflections, misidentification, the list goes on. 

Pure 'made up' speculation Never, ever proven (and probably never, ever will.)

See, here's the thing. There's a massive difference between 'disbelief' and 'dislike'. I like bigfoot. I really like him. But I don't believe in him. I like ghosts too, I think they're great. But I certainly don't believe in them. Same with alien visitation, Nessie, and many, many more.  I'd love to believe these things are real, and believe me, I'll be the first to hold my hand up and say "Boy was I wrong!" if any are proved, but I'm afraid up until then I'm just going to file them under 'Myth', 'Fantasy' and 'BS'.

It is not possible to prove or disprove ghosts to everyone's satisfaction, so really there is no end in the arguing and we are left with personal judgment

My personal judgment involves my analysis of the quantity, quality and consistency of the claims. I certainly consider all the normal explanations you mentioned too (and they can certainly explain some of the claims). But in my judgment, I believe beyond reasonable doubt that ghosts are real and have appeared in photographs.

As to this story, it is of course possible that they just had someone stand there in a black robe so it couldn't be much easier to fake.  But the question remains; was it faked? I can't say, but I just think the likelihood that EVERY clear photo/video is intentional fraud is not a reasonable position. Now in the last couple decades with the internet and cable TV and more and better audio/visual recording devices, the evidence is snowballing in favor of ghosts in my personal judgment

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Orphalesion said:

Credible story? All we have as any sort of proof is the guy's word that the guy in the costume squatting in the background of his photo "wasn't there!" That's not credible. Even if he didn't notice the guy being there, it's a person wearing a dark robe on a dreary day, moving in front of dark walls. There's a possibility it's just some guy he overlooked.

I consider those possibilities too. The story is not proof but 'credible' was my comment. Credible meaning believable.

3 hours ago, Orphalesion said:

^ This. Few things that are related to paranormal activities would make me happier than someone discovering that fairies and unicorns are real. Still not gonna jump at every eye witness report that claims to have seen some. 

My 'dislike' of the paranormal statement refers to those people who knee-jerk and vehemently go on the attack against any paranormal claim. I have seen this type and hopefully you are not one of them.

• Like 2

I have to agree with an earlier post that the framing of the picture is a little suspect. Somehow the ghost is dead center.  

Edit: ok I looked again and it's not dead center but it's a little close for comfort. I'm not saying this is reason to believe it's fake. It's just one more piece of information.

Edited by Calibeliever
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, goodgodno said:

I must have missed all those unicorn reports

Just trawl the web. There are quite a few.

13 hours ago, Calibeliever said:

I have to agree with an earlier post that the framing of the picture is a little suspect. Somehow the ghost is dead center.  

That's probably due to the fact that the camera was pointing right at it, straight on, rendering the entity dead centre in the photo.

• Like 1

I think it looks alot like a doorway...saw similar at places we stopped and toured in Ireland. I would like to see an actual picture from that site, not sure I'm willing to take the word of a paranormal investigates that there isn't one. 

If it is a person,  why are they wandering around wearing a monk's robe? As for them being 2ft tall I thought it looked like someone standing behind a wall.....if it's not a doorway,  that is.

On 27/01/2018 at 3:35 PM, Essan said:

It presumably means that cotton fibre, leather and wool experience an afterlife too

Odd we never see any ghosts of old socks though.....

Never seen a ghost wheelchair either, guess even the afterlife is prejudice.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, I'mConvinced said:

Never seen a ghost wheelchair either, guess even the afterlife is prejudice.

Here you go :lol:

wheelchair-ghost.jpg

• Like 6

On 1/26/2018 at 2:45 PM, Still Waters said:

That's already been looked at

.When I posted the image online on a paranormal group, there were suggestions that it was just a hole in the wall but someone has actually gone there to take pictures and confirm that's not the case.'

So where are the pictures the "paranormal investigator" took?

The guy did not go back.. an alleged p.i did. 

It looks like a statue or doorway.

Same old story, the guy is snapping away with his son and did not notice anything until he looked back at the photos. But when did he look back at them?

What they didn't expect to see when they looked back over them was an eerie black-hooded figure glaring towards the camera from the opposite end of the site.

If he had looked back at them while he was still there he would have taken another picture to show if it was gone or gone upto the spot. 

He did not go back there. Would like to see the photos from the guy who.did.

34 minutes ago, Stiff said:

Here you go :lol:

wheelchair-ghost.jpg

Metal has a soul confirmed. Thank you. Although, if I'm honest that looks more like a mobility scooter...

• Like 3

On 1/27/2018 at 11:32 AM, Jon the frog said:

Without kidding, i don't know about the perspective effect between the wall, stair and fence because the figure look like less than 1m tall if we look at his environment. Could be a seated dog, a badger, don't know but if it's a monk, he was dwarf.

Cannot be a bear finally because it's to small :(

Maybe it's a Jawa.

• Like 3

Btw this is obviously just a hole in the wall. There is a picture on the Google listing, under photos, from a slightly different angle and you can see the 'monks' head. So either it's a ghost that doesn't move or a door/window.

Image is copyright so I can't link sorry.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, I'mConvinced said:

Btw this is obviously just a hole in the wall. There is a picture on the Google listing, under photos, from a slightly different angle and you can see the 'monks' head. So either it's a ghost that doesn't move or a door/window.

While I agree with that....

5 hours ago, I'mConvinced said:

Image is copyright so I can't link sorry.

Whaat?  Just post a link to the site.  Copyright is not breached by you giving us the information to go find it ourselves....  I browsed Google Images too - while I found lots of holes in the walls that would likely explain this, I just couldn't find a single image showing that particular part of the wall....

As for the lame claim in the article about someone taking pictures and confirming it  .. , and then NOT posting the images???? - I'm afraid that left me shaking my head.  Oh wait, it's the daily Fail.  I should have known.  Reportage exquisite!

No one here from that district, namely SE of London...?

3 hours ago, ChrLzs said:

Whaat?  Just post a link to the site.  Copyright is not breached by you giving us the information to go find it ourselves....  I browsed Google Images too - while I found lots of holes in the walls that would likely explain this, I just couldn't find a single image showing that particular part of the wall....

I'll try and dig it out but it wouldn't let me direct link to the photo. It's on their 'Google photo's' page rather than on Google images.

5 hours ago, ChrLzs said:

So, it only appears on the mobile version of the site and you can't copy a link.  I did however capture a screenshot of it:

https://imgur.com/a/hDMOw

• Like 3

On 1/26/2018 at 6:38 PM, papageorge1 said:

All in all, I find this a very credible story especially since the black monk was already a previously claimed entity, and etc.. Too many sincere people beyond this story have claimed ghost sightings for me to believe every single photo is a fake. 

Also I have come to believe from so many examples and testimonies that people that have had Near Death Experiences (like this father) are more likely to be psychic and draw psychic activity around them. (as if their reach beyond the veil becomes a tad greater when back in body)

As to the skeptics, as I said before, no photo or video will be considered likely a ghost by people with an entrenched disbelief/dislike in such things.

How credible do you now find the story? Someone took a picture of a doorway, experienced pareidolia and claimed it's the ghost of a monk that they had previously heard of.  It's not fake but it's not a ghost either.

Too many sincere people mistake what they see for me to take most claimed ghost sightings seriously.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, I'mConvinced said:

So, it only appears on the mobile version of the site and you can't copy a link.  I did however capture a screenshot of it:

https://imgur.com/a/hDMOw

Thanks! I looked for a photo from that angle and couldn’t find one. 

To make matters worse they claimed a paranormal investigator went to the site and took photos.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, SecretSanta said:

Thanks! I looked for a photo from that angle and couldn’t find one. 

To make matters worse they claimed a paranormal investigator went to the site and took photos.

They did indeed but of course the pictures weren't forthcoming and now we know why.  He went there, saw a door and thought 'lets just lie' instead.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, I'mConvinced said:

Someone took a picture of a doorway, experienced pareidolia and claimed it's the ghost of a monk that they had previously heard of.  It's not fake but it's not a ghost either.

How's that for just inventing a scenario?

5 minutes ago, papageorge1 said:

How's that for just inventing a scenario?

Where is the invention? He took a photo of a hole in the wall and then misidentified it.  The evidence is clear as day.

• Like 2