Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
UM-Bot

Ford patents autonomous police car concept

13 posts in this topic

acute

If there's no Police Officer in the car, who will tap on your window, or club you over the head with a batton?

• Like 1

aztek

good, take human factor out of policing, 

• Like 3

seeder

so....by any other name then....its a glorified speed camera with automatic number plate recognition....

... we have had them for years in the UK

What's interesting is that the system appears to be taking in to consideration the possibility of a future where other autonomous vehicles can be ticketed, even when there's nobody at the wheel.

• Like 2

Piney
5 hours ago, acute said:

If there's no Police Officer in the car, who will tap on your window, or club you over the head with a batton?

Shoot you with beanbags, then spray you with mace and then club you. Cops don't want to get close until your incapacitated. Trust me. I've been there.:o

Stiff

"opens up the possibility of a police chase involving no human drivers whatsoever."

Nope. No manufacturer is going to program a car to avoid being stopped by a police vehicle. I personally cannot see an 'autonomous' police chase

• Like 2

seeder
1 minute ago, Stiff said:

"opens up the possibility of a police chase involving no human drivers whatsoever."

Nope. No manufacturer is going to program a car to avoid being stopped by a police vehicle. I personally cannot see an 'autonomous' police chase

be a totally pointless chase too wouldnt it?  what can an empty police car DO once it chased you down?   There will be NO COPS in it to jump out and arrest you....

hhhmmmm...... if this tech comes real I might just turn into a robber....  :lol:

• Like 1

Stiff
37 minutes ago, seeder said:

be a totally pointless chase too wouldnt it?  what can an empty police car DO once it chased you down?   There will be NO COPS in it to jump out and arrest you....

hhhmmmm...... if this tech comes real I might just turn into a robber....  :lol:

It would be totally pointless as there would be nobody in the 'chased' car to arrest either! A bit like 'police chase' slot car racing :D 

• Like 1

Captain Risky

if the automobile industry is moving towards autonomous vehicles then maybe the auto manufactures should be getting the fines. 

khol
8 hours ago, Stiff said:

It would be totally pointless as there would be nobody in the 'chased' car to arrest either! A bit like 'police chase' slot car racing :D 

I think most have seen this but it kinda reminds me of some of the police chases we have up here actually. 

• Like 1

UFOwatcher

I would never want a robotic on the road with me, I might do something un-human and confuse it.....

DieChecker

I wonder how such a car would arrest anyone?

I guess a lot of pretty girls will not be getting out of tickets once this is a fact.

seeder
1 hour ago, DieChecker said:

I wonder how such a car would arrest anyone?

I guess a lot of pretty girls will not be getting out of tickets once this is a fact.

in the UK at least... the speed cameras with number plate recognition ALSO  take a photo of you at the wheel, say, going to fast...then a ticket arrives by post with 14 days to pay it.  They also include the photo that shows you at the wheel so theres no denying it either....these cameras are either mobile, ie: a police van gets parked up someplace with its cameras watching the traffic and monitoring speed... or they are fixed cameras on top of traffic lights or on wires over the roads.... etc... they earn a fortune for the cops/govt, as nobody thinks twice about going a bit too fast if they dont SEE any REAL cops, do they?

Few years back you could buy a small in-car 'radar' system that beeped if you were in range of such cameras....but they made them illegal almost over night....so theres no way to dodge them nowadays except....to observe the road rules

A mate from a few years ago got 2 tickets from one stretch of road in half an hour....he went a little too fast to drive to a diner and get some takeaway food, too fast on the way back...... and duly got 2 tickets in the post the next day....that cost him enough to change his driving habits I expect

But yes,,,, empty cop cars will have zero chance of actually catching anyone physically

• Like 2