Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
ItsSchmee

Childhood Strangeness - Controlling the Wind

ItsSchmee

Hello, this is my first time posting on these forums, I am not entirely sure this is the right place to post this but I want to at least share these events from my life.

I'll start by saying that I have always been a believer in the paranormal, even at the age of 6 I had known there was more to this world than most people wanted to believe in. I won't get into too many details of unrelated content, but I just want to be clear that I have experienced many different things throughout my life. Now that that's been said, I will get into the details of what I'd like to share; When I was around the age of 10 or 11 I had found myself snooping through my Grandmothers room for one reason or another and I came across a large purple book about Astrology. I cannot recall the name of the book, but I had been intrigued by the content pertaining to my birth sign, Gemini. I remember being interested in the info relating to the elements that were supposedly related to each sign: Earth, Air, Fire, Water. Gemini's element is Air.

Anyway, all this is just backstory I guess... There was more too it, but I will skip all that. I was so convinced through reading all this that stuff that used to practice "controlling" wind. I had a couple other friends who were into it, so it was kind of a group thing - kids are strange lol - but I swear we could do minor things after a while. Started with little stupid things like blowing out candles from across a room by pushing air with a flat  upwards extended hand. Pretty simple to explain that off, so whatever, that's probably nothing. I started to learn (or at least think I was learning lol) to do things like stopping leaves on bushes or small trees from being blown around on windy days. I grew up in a valley, so it was windy most of the time. I'd imagine i was "stopping the wind" in some sort of bubble around objects. This all could have been in my head, but I would sometimes show off now and then to some of my classmates outside my regular friend group and I would get confused and shocked looks when I'd get the results I'd tell them to look for on certain bushes or whatever. This only made me want to learn how to do more.

I would practice this with one of my closest friends the most, as he was also under an Air elemental sign, and we probably just fed off each others imaginations. This went on for about 2 years. I'd started to really think this was possible. We'd make gusts of wind on command. I remember the process of how we'd do it, but I mean, I am on the cusp of 30 now and don't really practice or even know if I believe it was real, but the process involved drawing in energy starting at the hands, working up the arms and to my core. I'd tense up my open hand and the muscles in my arm in a sort of wave starting from the fingers and upwards, all while taking a long deep breath from the diaphragm. My hands would start to tingle. Thinking about it, it was probably due to tensing up the muscles, but it felt like some sort of verification to 12 year old me that things were really happening. I'd release that tension quickly with a sharp exhalation and, sure enough, the wind would blow. Sometimes more strongly than others.

This all culminated one day when I was walking with said close friend and another... not so close friend in the field of the park near my house. It was admittedly a stormy day, windy and threatening to rain at any moment and the not so close friend mockingly says "I've created a gust!" and puts his arms up a little. Now, me being the competitive little **** that I was say "Oh yeah?" and I raise my right hand and do the whole "draw in energy" thing with my hand as I flex into sort of dumbbell curl pose and close my fist tightly. Immediately the windy weather cuts off. Like, I mean the wind comes to a complete dead stand still and my right hand is tingling like never before. I'm a little shocked at this, but I play it off all cool in front of my friends and after a few long seconds of holding this in, whisper "Howlslash" (a wind attack from a favourite video game series lololol I was such a little nerd, still am though) and open my fist: the wind picks back up with a much fiercer bite to it, like a cable breaking from tension and whipping around like crazy. My friends were completely speechless and we continued walking back to my place. I thought I was so cool haha

From that point on, I don't know why I kinda fell out of it, but I stopped really messing around with that. I guess I found something else to be interested in or something, but the memory of that day is still vivid. Even my close friend remembers after all these years and doesn't know how to explain that day, but he remembers it as well as I do. So yeah... I don't know if there is some sort of way this is a psychic related event or not, but it is a true story and just one of the many weird events that have taken place over the years.

Sorry for the long read, but I just wanted to finally write about this and I hope you either enjoyed the short story or maybe even have some input on what might have really happened.

Thanks for your time!

• Like 2

Bekka

This is funny, i belived and did the same thing with one of my friends. I belived i could controll wind and my friens water. And we practised everyday. I don't belive in it anymore though

• Like 1

XenoFish

Its amazing what magical thinking and confirmation bias can do to fool yourself.

• Like 2

ItsSchmee

Very true. It's kinda funny thinking back to things like this. I just wanted to share the story :P 

• Like 3

I'mConvinced

I kinda had the opposite problem as a child.  My parents were always telling me to 'control that wind' but I never seemed to master it.

• Like 2

Mr Walker
On 27/01/2018 at 10:09 PM, ItsSchmee said:

Hello, this is my first time posting on these forums, I am not entirely sure this is the right place to post this but I want to at least share these events from my life.

I'll start by saying that I have always been a believer in the paranormal, even at the age of 6 I had known there was more to this world than most people wanted to believe in. I won't get into too many details of unrelated content, but I just want to be clear that I have experienced many different things throughout my life. Now that that's been said, I will get into the details of what I'd like to share; When I was around the age of 10 or 11 I had found myself snooping through my Grandmothers room for one reason or another and I came across a large purple book about Astrology. I cannot recall the name of the book, but I had been intrigued by the content pertaining to my birth sign, Gemini. I remember being interested in the info relating to the elements that were supposedly related to each sign: Earth, Air, Fire, Water. Gemini's element is Air.

Anyway, all this is just backstory I guess... There was more too it, but I will skip all that. I was so convinced through reading all this that stuff that used to practice "controlling" wind. I had a couple other friends who were into it, so it was kind of a group thing - kids are strange lol - but I swear we could do minor things after a while. Started with little stupid things like blowing out candles from across a room by pushing air with a flat  upwards extended hand. Pretty simple to explain that off, so whatever, that's probably nothing. I started to learn (or at least think I was learning lol) to do things like stopping leaves on bushes or small trees from being blown around on windy days. I grew up in a valley, so it was windy most of the time. I'd imagine i was "stopping the wind" in some sort of bubble around objects. This all could have been in my head, but I would sometimes show off now and then to some of my classmates outside my regular friend group and I would get confused and shocked looks when I'd get the results I'd tell them to look for on certain bushes or whatever. This only made me want to learn how to do more.

I would practice this with one of my closest friends the most, as he was also under an Air elemental sign, and we probably just fed off each others imaginations. This went on for about 2 years. I'd started to really think this was possible. We'd make gusts of wind on command. I remember the process of how we'd do it, but I mean, I am on the cusp of 30 now and don't really practice or even know if I believe it was real, but the process involved drawing in energy starting at the hands, working up the arms and to my core. I'd tense up my open hand and the muscles in my arm in a sort of wave starting from the fingers and upwards, all while taking a long deep breath from the diaphragm. My hands would start to tingle. Thinking about it, it was probably due to tensing up the muscles, but it felt like some sort of verification to 12 year old me that things were really happening. I'd release that tension quickly with a sharp exhalation and, sure enough, the wind would blow. Sometimes more strongly than others.

This all culminated one day when I was walking with said close friend and another... not so close friend in the field of the park near my house. It was admittedly a stormy day, windy and threatening to rain at any moment and the not so close friend mockingly says "I've created a gust!" and puts his arms up a little. Now, me being the competitive little **** that I was say "Oh yeah?" and I raise my right hand and do the whole "draw in energy" thing with my hand as I flex into sort of dumbbell curl pose and close my fist tightly. Immediately the windy weather cuts off. Like, I mean the wind comes to a complete dead stand still and my right hand is tingling like never before. I'm a little shocked at this, but I play it off all cool in front of my friends and after a few long seconds of holding this in, whisper "Howlslash" (a wind attack from a favourite video game series lololol I was such a little nerd, still am though) and open my fist: the wind picks back up with a much fiercer bite to it, like a cable breaking from tension and whipping around like crazy. My friends were completely speechless and we continued walking back to my place. I thought I was so cool haha

From that point on, I don't know why I kinda fell out of it, but I stopped really messing around with that. I guess I found something else to be interested in or something, but the memory of that day is still vivid. Even my close friend remembers after all these years and doesn't know how to explain that day, but he remembers it as well as I do. So yeah... I don't know if there is some sort of way this is a psychic related event or not, but it is a true story and just one of the many weird events that have taken place over the years.

Sorry for the long read, but I just wanted to finally write about this and I hope you either enjoyed the short story or maybe even have some input on what might have really happened.

Thanks for your time!

Very interesting. 

If the events  were exactly as you describe them, then something unusual was occurring. However, after all this time,  and given  the nature of human memory,  it is probably impossible even for you to be sure you have remembered it all precisely as it occurred. 

Funny thing about young people. They do many things which older people never do, simply because they believe they can, or a t least have not been told they cannot.

They tend to lack fear, and even caution, due to the lack of a developed neural connectivity and some  temporary pruning of the pre frontal cortex, which is responsible for decision making,  self control and  forward planning  and thus attempt physical and mental challenges which  most adults would not

Even lucid dreaming is far more common in the young (up to mid twenties) than for older people. 

Also, their brains are at maximum plasticity, which means they can learn faster and reorganise their neural pathways into new skills and abilities, more easily than older humans. 

• Like 1

Mr Walker
On 30/01/2018 at 0:27 AM, I'mConvinced said:

I kinda had the opposite problem as a child.  My parents were always telling me to 'control that wind' but I never seemed to master it.

LOL on the other hand i had total control, and would save it up until the whole family was trapped in the car on a long trip, or all sitting down for a delicious meal . 

• Like 1