Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Domestication From Wolf to Dog

Brandy333

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Origin_of_the_domestic_dog

It has always interested me how wolves were domesticated to become dogs.  It is now known to have occurred many thousands of years longer ago than previously thought.  According to Wikipedia, dogs come from a line of grey wolves that lived many thousands of years ago and are now extinct.   It states dogs don't come from the modern wolf.

I think through careful breeding of these extinct wolves over time the wildness was bred out of them to produce what eventually would become known as dogs.

• Like 7

52 minutes ago, Brandy333 said:

I think through careful breeding of these extinct wolves over time the wildness was bred out of them to produce what eventually would become known as dogs.

That's most likely true for all Terran Dogs. But not all dogs come from Earth.

--Jaylemurph

• Like 7

But all dogs go to Heaven.

Harte

• Like 6

22 minutes ago, Harte said:

But all dogs go to Heaven.

Harte

and according to my people's traditions, guide you in.

• Like 6

A question I have, it's sort of a mystery as to why did early man tame wolves?  Don't get me wrong I'm glad they did because I love dogs.   Perhaps it was a mutual desire for companionship.   People had food wolves wanted and man wanted a pet, guard and animal to hunt with.

My Dad to me when he'd go hunting with his two Terriers when he was young it would get dark so he and dogs headed home.  He said behind and around him he'd hear pitty-patter, pitty-patter.   When he stopped, the pitty-patter stopped, but when he started again the pitty-patter did too.  Said when he held up his lantern there were eyes all around and the dogs were right against his legs, so they hurried home.   His Dad told him they were just wolves looking for food and wouldn't hurt him.

4 hours ago, Brandy333 said:

A question I have, it's sort of a mystery as to why did early man tame wolves?  Don't get me wrong I'm glad they did because I love dogs.   Perhaps it was a mutual desire for companionship.   People had food wolves wanted and man wanted a pet, guard and animal to hunt with.

Dogs served many purposes. Guard, hunting companion and they are omnivorous and ate the food waste. They also eat pests. The farm dogs here even hunt and eat the corn rats and groundhogs around the house. 

• Like 7

33 minutes ago, Piney said:

Dogs served many purposes. Guard, hunting companion and they are omnivorous and ate the food waste. They also eat pests. The farm dogs here even hunt and eat the corn rats and groundhogs around the house. 

I really appreciate dogs and their heritages. There are some really cool videos on YouTube of hunting terriers clearing out rat infestations. 

• Like 4

We had a Jack Russell terrorist. Great ratter around the corn crib. Then it started chewing holes in the walls in the kitchen.

• Like 6

I would tend to think that the relationship started with food sharing, wolves would find butchered carcasses from hunts and the scent of the hunters would be on it. Because we consume a fair bit of meat then over a period of time of wolves finding carcasses with a familiar scent they may have followed the scent of the hunters.

I used to live in an area that had a large amount of guard dogs that I would have to pass by on a regular basis and they would always get aggressive  and make a lot of noise. I started bringing ice cream or keep rock candy in my pocket and give them some when passing by, it didn't take long to make new friends.

Many home owners that I do work for have dogs and the more aggressive ones I pick up cheese burgers for next thing you know their tails wag and they are licking your face glad to see you.

jmccr8 

Edited by jmccr8
Fat fingers or the devil made me do it
  • Like 8

16 hours ago, Piney said:

The Carolina dog, which my people used as "deer dogs" is a interesting breed too.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carolina_Dog

Those are a good looking breed. I can easily see their decendence from wolves happening. 

What is kind of mind boggling to me is how the heck do you get to Teacup Chihuahua from a 100+lb

wolf? :D 

Edited by BorizBadinov
autocorrect again >.<
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, BorizBadinov said:

Those are a good looking breed. I can easily see their decendence from wolves happening. 

What is kind of mind boggling to me is how the heck do you get to Teacup Chihuahua from a 100+lb

I think these guys were in the middle of that mess...but hey..look how we developed corn...

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Piney said:

We had a Jack Russell terrorist. Great ratter around the corn crib. Then it started chewing holes in the walls in the kitchen.

I have one now.

She's turned my backyard into a lunar landscape.

Harte

• Like 3

16 hours ago, Brandy333 said:

My Dad to me when he'd go hunting with his two Terriers when he was young it would get dark so he and dogs headed home.  He said behind and around him he'd hear pitty-patter, pitty-patter.   When he stopped, the pitty-patter stopped, but when he started again the pitty-patter did too.  Said when he held up his lantern there were eyes all around and the dogs were right against his legs, so they hurried home.   His Dad told him they were just wolves looking for food and wouldn't hurt him.

Im not an expert in the field but the celts kept dogs because they where fierce protectors, loyal to thier pack and in tough times you could eat them and thier skins kept you warm. 

I know it is horrible to most of us to think about but they where different times.

• Like 4

20 hours ago, Piney said:

and according to my people's traditions, guide you in.

I've read more than one story about a near-death-experience where a person said they were greeted by their dog in Heaven.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, BorizBadinov said:

Good question.   I imagine when people became successful at taming wolves, through selective breeding they began to develop breed specifics in dogs.

• Like 3

22 hours ago, Brandy333 said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Origin_of_the_domestic_dog

It has always interested me how wolves were domesticated to become dogs.  It is now known to have occurred many thousands of years longer ago than previously thought.  According to Wikipedia, dogs come from a line of grey wolves that lived many thousands of years ago and are now extinct.   It states dogs don't come from the modern wolf.

Over thousands of years and many generations of selective breeding, those characteristics would lead to distinct breeds of dogs – there are 150-330 unique breeds of dogs today, 

An interesting article about them is here....read the link but here are a few interesting points.

The original theory was that all dogs descended from a single ancestor, the gray wolf (Canis lupis), but modern genetic testing and DNA analysis has determined that it is more likely that an even more ancient ancestor such as the extinct Taymyr wolf or other extinct wolves were the original ancestors of all dogs.

Wolves are intelligent, and may have followed hunting parties to take advantage of the remains of carcasses that the hunters could not use. 

As dogs were being domesticated, they were also being deliberately bred to preserve both physical characteristics and personality traits that humans found desirable. 

https://nhpets.com/blog/32966/how-did-wolves-evolve-into-mans-best-friend

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Kismit said:

Im not an expert in the field but the celts kept dogs because they where fierce protectors, loyal to thier pack and in tough times you could eat them and thier skins kept you warm. 

I know it is horrible to most of us to think about but they where different times.

My people were one of the few tribes who didn't eat dogs ( one of the reasons we despised the Lakota) and we found many dog graves in Southern New Jersey including one in Cumberland County where a "Feast of the Dead" ceremony was held for a mother and 2 pups. I'm guessing that the ceremony was held because the pups had to be "mercy killed" because they couldn't find a lactating female.

Little culture story. The Milky Way is the "Spirit Path" where souls travel to the Afterlife. The dogs guard the entrance. There is a fireside tale that says George Washington"s (The Burner of Villages)  soul is stuck on the Milky Way because he was cruel to his dogs. 

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Piney said:

My people were one of the few tribes who didn't eat dogs ( one of the reasons we despised the Lakota) and we found many dog graves in Southern New Jersey including one in Cumberland County where a "Feast of the Dead" ceremony was held for a mother and 2 pups. I'm guessing that the ceremony was held because the pups had to be "mercy killed" because they couldn't find a lactating female.

Little culture story. The Milky Way is the "Spirit Path" where souls travel to the Afterlife. The dogs guard the entrance. There is a fireside tale that says George Washington"s (The Burner of Villages)  soul is stuck on the Milky Way because he was cruel to his dogs. 

I do really like the idea that my dogs will meet me on the otherside. I would love that, they have all been so very special.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Kismit said:

I do really like the idea that my dogs will meet me on the otherside. I would love that, they have all been so very special.

I hope so. My "soul catcher" my little white dog was killed in a act of vindictiveness by a Assembly of God redneck nutcase. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Piney said:

I hope so. My "soul catcher" my little white dog was killed in a act of vindictiveness by a Assembly of God redneck nutcase. 

That's heartbreaking. Why take the life of an innocent animal? Was the nutter punished?

• Like 1

Just now, Kismit said:

That's heartbreaking. Why take the life of an innocent animal? Was the nutter punished?

Not by authorities. I've been looking for the 'Indian Country Today' article for my file of "filthy things". They find out there is a active Wisdom Keeper in their area they are on them. Burn our Midi Huts. Torch our Pipe Keepers' Houses. I got at them though. Several of us did among different tribes. Woo doesn't work on us. We don't believe it does. But we certainly know how to make others do. 

• Like 3