Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Falcon Heavy set to launch on February 6th

UM-Bot

There is no doubt this will be an impressive display whatever happens. I cant help but chuckle thinking about if this is successful that someday in the far distant future someone may find that red Tesla floating about in space and wonder how and why the heck did this happen? :D

8 hours ago, BorizBadinov said:

There is no doubt this will be an impressive display whatever happens.

Absolutely. 27 engines firing simultaneously is going to look, and sound, amazing.

8 hours ago, BorizBadinov said:

I cant help but chuckle thinking about if this is successful that someday in the far distant future someone may find that red Tesla floating about in space and wonder how and why the heck did this happen? :D

And if this is unsuccessful someday, in the far distant future, someone may find that red Tesla at the bottom of the Atlantic ocean and wonder how and why the heck did this happen?

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, Jon the frog said:

And all the booster coming back to land, will be epic.

The two side boosters should land simultaneously back at the Cape. That is going to be a joy to watch. The centre booster will land on the barge in the Atlantic,

• Like 2

Maybe Elon is planning to go to Mars and drive his car there.  Pick up the car on the way.

This almost sounds like something from Hitchhiker's Guide or Dr. Who.

• Like 4

This is really an historic time for space exploration. All the former programs basically shed their skins like snakes and all we got back in the end was a hollow nut shell. Now its down to consumables and staff for the cost factor. This is a really big step on the ladder of cost effective space exploration and utilization. It still aint cheap but its a lot cheaper than before. :)

44 minutes ago, paperdyer said:

Maybe Elon is planning to go to Mars and drive his car there.  Pick up the car on the way.

This almost sounds like something from Hitchhiker's Guide or Dr. Who.

I assume that risking a valuable scientific payload on a rocket that's never been proven in flight was considered out of the question, hence the used Tesla car being sent. It at least gives some sense of how the rocket would perform with another payload of about the same. weight. Even Mr. Musk seems to think that the odds of the rocket performing as desired are not especially good.Under these conditions, success would be all the sweeter.    

• Like 1

Just now, bison said:

I assume that risking a valuable scientific payload on a rocket that's never been proven in flight was considered out of the question, hence the used Tesla car being sent. It at least gives some sense of how the rocket would perform with another payload of about the same. weight. Even Mr. Musk seems to think that the odds of the rocket performing as desired are not especially good.Under these conditions, success would be all the sweeter.    

I think this is a valid assumption. Plus its a great marketing opportunity to make sure people who might not take a deep interest know who is behind it.

Plus there is the added bonus of possibly being the first human to submit an auto insurance claim for catastrophic rocket booster failure. :D  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bison said:

I assume that risking a valuable scientific payload on a rocket that's never been proven in flight was considered out of the question, hence the used Tesla car being sent.

The reasons for the Tesla car have been discussed, in depth, in this thread, and this one, but in short this is a test flight and most rocket test flights carry ballast rather than a useful payload. Musk has chosen a second hand car rather than the more usual block of concrete.

• Like 1

Slight thread jack;

Elon Musk has just come through for us just in time. Step right up and get the latest in home zombie defense, pest and weed control, or maybe you just like to see things burn. Only $500.00 US Not recomended for indoor use. :lol: 

https://www.ctvnews.ca/sci-tech/so-lit-elon-musk-sells-15-000-flamethrowers-as-zombie-insurance-1.3781650

Hank

I find it exciting and that car..... probably loaded with spy gear.... One day it will be found and whatever finds it will wonder whatever happened to us and why we have no trace remaining....

15 hours ago, UFOwatcher said:

probably loaded with spy gear....

What??

Is this some new meaning of the word "probably" that I wasn't previously aware of? I have never seen it used to mean "wild guess with no basis in reality" before.

What exactly is a car in a heliocentric orbit, spending the vast majority of it's time well away from Earth supposed to be spying on?

• Like 5

The Tesla Roadster now has a "driver". Latest photographs released by Elon Musk show a dummy dressed in one of SpaceX's spacesuits.

SpaceX have also released a video showing what can be expected should today's launch be successful.

• Like 4

I often see these launches from my backyard and if that's the case today I'll snap a pic and upload it. 

• Like 2

Launch of Falcon Heavy now set for 3:45 p.m. Eastern Standard Time ( 20:45 GMT, 12:45 p.m. Pacific Time.) Delay reportedly caused by excessive wind shear at high altitudes. They have just a quarter hour's leeway before today's launch window closes at 4:00 pm. EST. 

Edited by bison
added information

17 minutes ago, bison said:

They have just a quarter hour's leeway before today's launch window closes at 4:00 pm. EST. 

Actually less than that. They can't launch at 20:56 GMT as it could potentially lead to a collision with an already orbiting satellite.

Lift off! Looking good.

• Like 1

Side booster septation.

First stage separation.

Now to land THREE core boosters.

Good re-entry burn on both side boosters.

Good re-entry burn on the centre booster.

Both side boosters have landed successfully.

• Like 2

Signal lost from the drone ship. That's not unusual.