Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

What would be the purpose of alien abductions

stereologist

I've seen all sorts of reasons for abductions from medical experimentation to fertility studies. Do any of these reasons actually stand up to scrutiny? My interest in making a laundry list of reasons was piqued by reading the rather odd claims of a Charles Hall. I would propose that the initial reason to place in the list is that it is an alien cultural issue which is not something we would never imagine.

Frankly, I don't believe aliens are abducting people. Of course, that does not prevent us from listing reasons given. A comprehensive list might be useful in understanding the variety of events that people believe has happened to them.

• Like 7

I can see an advanced species being curious enough to capture and tag specimens for study. What troubles me about the abduction phenomena is the physical aspect of it. Looking at our own medical advances that are fast approaching star trekian non invasive data collection I am confused why they seem to use a lot of needles and techniques that seem quite antiquated. 

• Like 9

Another possible reason was recently proposed and that concerned the need to get DNA from humans. But today we have learned to synthesize DNA. We have machines that do it and companies willing to take your money to make your designs.

Another issue is that not all life on Earth is DNA based. Why should aliens be DNA based? Other chemicals can be introduced to mark cells. They become part of the DNA. Couldn't the basic idea of a helical molecule be used in other forms?

• Like 7

Collecting reproductive materials, reproductive experimenting, biological studies for an unknown purpose, creating hybrids, whatever.

We might be like an animal conservationists capture for tests, tagging etc.. Darn if the animals understand it either.

Edited by papageorge1
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, BorizBadinov said:

I can see an advanced species being curious enough to capture and tag specimens for study. What troubles me about the abduction phenomena is the physical aspect of it. Looking at our own medical advances that are fast approaching star trekian non invasive data collection I am confused why they seem to use a lot of needles and techniques that seem quite antiquated. 

If a transporter can be imagined couldn't there be a means of determining the structure of an object without moving it?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, papageorge1 said:

Collecting reproductive materials, reproductive experimenting, biological studies for an unknown purpose, creating hybrids, whatever.

Remember that a hybrid requires that the aliens and us are closer related than say us and chimps.

• Like 2

Just now, stereologist said:

Remember that a hybrid requires that the aliens and us are closer related than say us and chimps.

No, I think that thinking is too inside OUR knowledge box.

• Like 1

If a transporter can be imagined couldn't there be a means of determining the structure of an object without moving it?

Exactly! Why take a sample from its environment? Seems you could learn more from that than hauling it back to the lab. Also, how often do we return our lab rats to their respective homes and tuck them in?

• Like 1

It might depend on the theory of aliens as well. If they are able to travel time, they could be a stage in human evolution. So we would be their 'dinosaurs'. 

• Like 4

There is the possibility that humanoid life is common on other planets, but it does seem remote that genetics would match up well enough.

8 minutes ago, papageorge1 said:

No, I think that thinking is too inside OUR knowledge box.

So how is hybridizng going to work if the species are completely incompatible? Remember you are the one making that suggestion.

There is the possibility that humanoid life is common on other planets, but it does seem remote that genetics would match up well enough.

Let's suppose there are humanoids. Would that mean DNA is used in those organisms? Not all life on Earth contains DNA.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BorizBadinov said:

What if the building blocks that made us what we are. Happend to be present on many worlds. Each developing life according to its environment. So perhaps another humanoid type of being is out there. If they happened to be a million years ahead of us. We could be a biological experiment.

• Like 4

So how is hybridizng going to work if the species are completely incompatible? Remember you are the one making that suggestion.

We are like people from 10,000 years ago telling today's scientists what is and isn't possible. That is how I see it.

I actually believe DNA did not originate from scratch on earth (seeding and manipulation has been occuring).

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, BorizBadinov said:

Exactly! Why take a sample from its environment? Seems you could learn more from that than hauling it back to the lab. Also, how often do we return our lab rats to their respective homes and tuck them in?

I've been to lab where people are shucking mice heads. They have a bowl of heads and are slipping the skin off the skulls to get ready to analyze the brains. People probably would not survive that treatment.

• Like 5

Just now, papageorge1 said:

We are like people from 10,000 years ago telling today's scientists what is and isn't possible. That is how I see it.

I actually believe DNA did not originate from scratch on earth (seeding and manipulation has been occuring).

We know that hybridization require compatibility of DNA. You can't get around that issue.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, stereologist said:

I've been to lab where people are shucking mice heads. They have a bowl of heads and are slipping the skin off the skulls to get ready to analyze the brains. People probably would not survive that treatment.

Perhaps the whole abduction is mental. That the aliens want a first person view of human life. So they copy memories.

• Like 1

Let's suppose there are humanoids. Would that mean DNA is used in those organisms? Not all life on Earth contains DNA.

I am assuming they are sentient and so I would also assume dna would be required for a complex humanoid. Like Xeno stated their development might simply be far ahead of our own and yet we might share the common building blocks. That seems to be logical if you also accept they would seek out worlds similar to their own in the same way we would if given a choice. We simply cant reach any goldilocks planets yet.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, BorizBadinov said:

we're all made from the same stuff so if alien life is out there (which i'm sure it is) then i'd say it's more than likely we're all the same more or less

• Like 1

I have never understood the stories about these alleged abductions....why travel millions of miles to abduct a hunan, take a few samples then head off back. Surely for proper experimentation they would abduct an "alien" to them..'us' and transport them back to their own planet. 

If they need to find out about us...then how would they already know that we have a reproroductive system and DNA? The only way to know what makes up a human is by doing a proper autopsy...thats how we learnt..and man did not always wait for someone to die....so it would seem far more logical that an alien would take their subject back with them.

• Like 2

Still the troubling part of hybridization is why? 

If an advanced species needed humans for medical reasons they would harvest them unless you buy into the concept of a sufficiently elevated species also being altruistic. Still if they were in dire need and altruists they would just ask. The whole prime directive concept doesn't really make much sense unless you are afraid of a species. 

If your species is dying is hybridization really saving your race? This could go either way I think.

Still the troubling part of hybridization is why? 

don't be troubled, Boriz- aliens are not abducting people;)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dejarma said:

we're all made from the same stuff so if alien life is out there (which i'm sure it is) then i'd say it's more than likely we're all the same more or less

Humans are not the only living creature or species on Earth...so it would be highly likely life on another planet could be plant life only...or a planet of ants or dinosaurs or birds, fish...the list is endless.....man was not the first life on this planet,  other planets...can be thriving with life and have no humans ( or similar) in existance.

• Like 2

• This topic was locked, unlocked and locked