Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Whale learns to say a few words

seeder

The killer whale that can say 'hello' and 'bye bye'

A killer whale that can mimic words such as "hello" and "bye bye" is thought to be the first of its kind to copy human speech.

The female learned to "speak" a handful of human words by copying a trainer at a marine park in France.

The animal's repertoire includes the name "Amy" and "one, two, three". It can also blow raspberries.

Whales are among the few animals other than humans that can learn to produce a novel sound just by hearing it.

"In mammals it is very rare," said Dr Josep Call of the University of St Andrews, a co-researcher on the study.

"Humans obviously are good at it... Interestingly, the mammals that can do best are marine mammals."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-42877067

• Like 5

That's one of the most hilarious things I've ever heard.

• Like 2

Are they sure they aren't saying, F'U and let me out of this fishtank.  If they teach them our language and they ask for their freedom will they be let go?  

• Like 9

First the animal rights groups will need to prove the orcas are sentient.  Once having accomplished this feat, they'll more on to other sea mammals that can mimic human speech.

2 minutes ago, paperdyer said:

First the animal rights groups will need to prove the orcas are sentient.  Once having accomplished this feat, they'll more on to other sea mammals that can mimic human speech.

Science is moving very quickly in that direction, no need for it to be cute mammals either. 

Are Plants Entering the Realm of the Sentient? 

Its been very fun watching the vegan's reactions to this. 

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, Farmer77 said:

Science is moving very quickly in that direction, no need for it to be cute mammals either. 

Are Plants Entering the Realm of the Sentient? 

Its been very fun watching the vegan's reactions to this. 

When confronted by a vegan I always ask, "What makes you think you live above the laws of nature?" Then I explain to them that we evolved as a omnivorous hominid who has a symbiotic relationship with a microbiom that needs the chemicals found only in meats and dairy (dairy in Europeans). Then I explain to them that they compromised their immune, digestive and skeletal systems.

• Like 5

30 minutes ago, Piney said:

When confronted by a vegan I always ask, "What makes you think you live above the laws of nature?" Then I explain to them that we evolved as a omnivorous hominid who has a symbiotic relationship with a microbiom that needs the chemicals found only in meats and dairy (dairy in Europeans). Then I explain to them that they compromised their immune, digestive and skeletal systems.

wasnt there a jokey saying allegedly from Indians..... who said:    "Vegetarian - that's an old Indian word meaning lousy hunter"  :lol:

• Like 4

After seeing it on utube, I taught one of my dogs to say "mamma" and a half assed " I love you". She's always vocalizing anyway so I thought why not? Creeps out the neighbors though, heh. Animals can be very clever when food is involved.

Hank

Edited by Hankenhunter
  • Like 1

Watching these animals still in captivity makes me sick. Free Willy.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

all i heard was farty replies and screetchy voices