Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

POTUS State Of the Union Address 2018

acidhead

My company just bought me a fancy new convertible tablet/ laptop and 24” LCD monitor to use when I work from home. I will use them for company business, but they’re mine. I wonder where that money came from?

I must not be an “everyday American” according to Newsweek... perhaps because I actually believe in America?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Alaric said:

My company just bought me a fancy new convertible tablet/ laptop and 24” LCD monitor to use when I work from home. I will use them for company business, but they’re mine. I wonder where that money came from?

I must not be an “everyday American” according to Newsweek... perhaps because I actually believe in America?

My company gave me a tablet and phone (Surface pro and IPhone).  Both made in Taiwan.  You seem pretty "everyday American" to me.

We actually kept our TV off that night.

He only lies when his lips are moving, so what's the sense of paying any attention to anything he says?

48 minutes ago, ChaosRose said:

He only lies when his lips are moving

So he's no different from any other politician then?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Alaric said:

Trump: “Just as I promised the American People from this podium 11 months ago, we enacted the biggest tax cuts and reform in American history,”

‘Fact Checker’ (Newsweek): “When Trump says that this is the largest tax cut in history, he is including corporate tax cuts, which don’t directly benefit everyday Americans.”

i.e. “When we totally remove the 2nd part of his sentence (reform) and selectively re-define and re-interpret the numbers on the first part... his claim is false.”

Did they ever go to the trouble to "fact check" anything that the Beloved Leader Who Should Still Be (Barry Obama) ever said?

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Gromdor said:

My company gave me a tablet and phone (Surface pro and IPhone).  Both made in Taiwan.

So, “hurray for capitalism”?

4 hours ago, DieChecker said:

Depends. I guess it could be argued that some of them didn't vote at all, but the ones that did... Did a single one (of the far left) vote for Trump? That sounds like "in the bag" to me. 

I didn't mean to imply she, herself, was to the far left. She was basically more centrist then most of the Dems in Congress, but who else would the left vote for? 

Ah I see. 

Yes I do think that a large percentage of true left leaning folks didn't bother to vote this last election (while conversely the margins of the right came out in droves)

Also if you look at the other candidates Jill Stein pulled down just over a million votes, I haven't done the work to figure out if those would have made a difference if they all went to Hillary in a particular state but there were some dang close states so its plausible.

I think the money also tells the story of where the voters hearts are. While liberal organizations are having record years in terms of donations the DNC itself is experiencing a serious downturn in donations and you know politicians are always gonna follow the money. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Farmer77 said:

Yes I do think that a large percentage of true left leaning folks didn't bother to vote this last election (while conversely the margins of the right came out in droves)

It was a bit amusing that the media, which was pretty much all in for Hillary had a piece in costing her the election.   I know of several who didn't bother voting because they thought she had it in the bag.   Heck, I didn't even stay up and tune in for the results because I thought Hillary would win fairly easily.  

• Like 2

Just now, Myles said:

It was a bit amusing that the media, which was pretty much all in for Hillary had a piece in costing her the election.   I know of several who didn't bother voting because they thought she had it in the bag.   Heck, I didn't even stay up and tune in for the results because I thought Hillary would win fairly easily.  

That is some beautiful irony isn't it? 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Vlad the Mighty said:

So he's no different from any other politician then?

But Vlad...he told us he isn't a politician. 

*gasp*

Are you saying that he lied to the American people?

Actually, it might have been the truth.  

He's really just a shady businessman trying to run the country like he's its CEO.

Except that wouldn't be democracy, for certain. 

And that would be strikingly different.

Edited by ChaosRose
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Alaric said:

So, should I believe the “fact checker” on the left... or the “fact checker” on the right?

I don't know.  Which do you prefer?

I prefer to check for myself, personally.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, ChaosRose said:

trying to run the country like he's its CEO

Huh?  The President of the US is the CEO...it's always been that way.  That's why he's called "Chief Executive".

21 minutes ago, ChaosRose said:

Except that wouldn't be democracy, for certain.

Correct.  It would be a Constitutional Republic.  Which is what the US is (and always has been), actually.

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, Farmer77 said:

That is some beautiful irony isn't it? 

Although I voted for Trump, I didn't think he was a good option.   I just thought it would be nice to have a guy in the position that all politicians didn't like.   As close to a third party as we have had in a long time.   Kind of a break the ice type of thing.  

The media had me believing that Hillary would win fairly easily.   I wonder if a lesson was learned.   Nothing is in the bag.  

• Like 2

Just now, Myles said:

The media had me believing that Hillary would win fairly easily.   I wonder if a lesson was learned.   Nothing is in the bag.  

Yeah I'm afraid that the lesson they and everyone learned will be KILL KILL KILL (metaphorically of course) and this election season is going to be even more insane than usual. 

See the source image

:lol:

7 hours ago, Alaric said:

Trump: “Just as I promised the American People from this podium 11 months ago, we enacted the biggest tax cuts and reform in American history,”

‘Fact Checker’ (Newsweek): “When Trump says that this is the largest tax cut in history, he is including corporate tax cuts, which don’t directly benefit everyday Americans.”

i.e. “When we totally remove the 2nd part of his sentence (reform) and selectively re-define and re-interpret the numbers on the first part... his claim is false.”

Newsweek is one of the most idiotic magazines on earth and that rag as a fact checker is absurd.  Democrats and leftists can't seem to comprehend that the consumer ends up paying  corporate taxes.  All costs are passed through to the consumer.

• Like 3

22 hours ago, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

Neither did Bush or, IIRC, Obama. 

The point is that in our system it isn't requisite to win the popular vote.  The reasons have been explained ad nauseum.  The hypocrites here who are complaining would complain just as bitterly, taking the opposite view if their candidate had won with the electoral college but lost the popular vote.  In short, they're acting like spoiled children.

• Like 7

9 hours ago, Alaric said:

So when we totally alter what he said we can say what he said isn’t true? When he said the sky isn’t blue at night he is including the fact that it is nighttime. However, if we totally remove the second  part of that sentence and selectively redefine and reinterpret what he said...his claim is false. Ok, got it.

• Like 3

And the only time Hillary didn’t have the far left in the bag was when she was running against Sanders so she conspired to take him out. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, and then said:

The point is that in our system it isn't requisite to win the popular vote.  The reasons have been explained ad nauseum.  The hypocrites here who are complaining would complain just as bitterly, taking the opposite view if their candidate had won with the electoral college but lost the popular vote.  In short, they're acting like spoiled children.

Aren't you under exaggerating a little?

baby-emoticon-with-pacifier.png

9 hours ago, Alaric said:

‘Fact Checker’ (Newsweek): “When Trump says that this is the largest tax cut in history, he is including corporate tax cuts, which don’t directly benefit everyday Americans.

Way to twist words, Newsweek. Corporate tax cuts are already benefitting Americans in the form of bonuses and jobs. They won't forget that when it comes time to vote.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Merc14 said:

Democrats and leftists can't seem to comprehend that the consumer ends up paying  corporate taxes.  All costs are passed through to the consumer.

Oh, they understand. But as was finalized during the SOTU address, the Dem party has become an enemy of American values and prosperity. They don't want to share in the renewal of the middle class, they want us all to have an equal share of misery. 

They brought illegal immigrants as guests and refused to stand, let alone applaud, for anything pro-American. They have officially put their party above the country.

• Like 5

4 hours ago, hacktorp said:

Huh?  The President of the US is the CEO...it's always been that way.  That's why he's called "Chief Executive".

Correct.  It would be a Constitutional Republic.  Which is what the US is (and always has been), actually.

Just another form of democracy.

You can vote?

1 hour ago, Dark_Grey said:

Oh, they understand. But as was finalized during the SOTU address, the Dem party has become an enemy of American values and prosperity. They don't want to share in the renewal of the middle class, they want us all to have an equal share of misery. 

They brought illegal immigrants as guests and refused to stand, let alone applaud, for anything pro-American. They have officially put their party above the country.

I hope that Manchin and Webb defect, as well as the lone member, of the Congressional Whack Caucus, who clapped when the record-setting low Black unemployment rate was announced. Corey Booker's reply was that other things matter more than money (unless this took place when Saint Barack was in office). The whole spectacle was disgusting, but the Democrats stubbornly cling to their odious ways. I'm close to the point where I will no longer give them the time of day.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Likely Guy said:

Just another form of democracy.

You can vote?

Yes, it is and yes, you can.  I meant only that the idea of having a "ceo" run the country is as old as the country itself.

15 hours ago, Farmer77 said:

Ah I see. 

Also if you look at the other candidates Jill Stein pulled down just over a million votes, I haven't done the work to figure out if those would have made a difference if they all went to Hillary in a particular state but there were some dang close states so its plausible.

I think the money also tells the story of where the voters hearts are. While liberal organizations are having record years in terms of donations the DNC itself is experiencing a serious downturn in donations and you know politicians are always gonna follow the money. 

All True. Clinton really, realistically SHOULD have won. If less Rs had shown up and more Ds, and in the right states....

And why those things happened has to do with how the candidates ran their campaigns. The Presidency was hers to lose, and she lost it.

• Like 3