Jump to content
Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
acidhead

POTUS State Of the Union Address 2018

203 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

and then
1 hour ago, Dark_Grey said:

Alienating a lot of voters to gain a few? Most Democrat voters are reasonable people (most people are more center in general,) so I imagine just about anyone watching the show would have the same feelings toward the "sore losers". 

I suspect that a few commercials in the next election cycle will include imagery from that chamber last night.  I can't understand why the D's seem so self-assured that they'll retake the House this November.  I don't say it's impossible, just not likely.  If, as I suspect, they lose more House AND Senate seats, I wouldn't be surprised if the leadership actually lose the plot and become totally unhinged.  I think it's called cognitive dissonance.

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Farmer77
Just now, OverSword said:

Why is that childish?  Because regardless of what anyone thinks of Trump, he is the duly elected president of the united states and regardless of how you feel about the man, you show respect for the office as the republicans did for the previous eight years.

I disagree, if the POTUS is disrespecting the office by lying through his teeth, insulting others or proposing unconstitutional legislation then I would consider it the duty of my elected representative to not just sit there and listen to it. 

Considering Trumps well document inability to stay on script I think addressing how your party will react makes sense. 

2 minutes ago, OverSword said:

The nation should be grateful that we finally have a president in office again that will reach across the aisle.

Is he really reaching across the aisle though when in the same speech he takes a backhanded swipe at civil rights issues?  I don't see it that way, I see it as making it look like he is reaching across the aisle. 

4 minutes ago, OverSword said:

The democrats should be embarrassed that this newbie political ignoramus is doing a better job at being a politician than the last guy.

The current "newbie" actually has one more presidential run under his belt than the last guy at the same point in their careers. Remember Obama was a community organizer with no real leadership experience?

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Kenemet
4 minutes ago, OverSword said:

Why is that childish?  Because regardless of what anyone thinks of Trump, he is the duly elected president of the united states and regardless of how you feel about the man, you show respect for the office as the republicans did for the previous eight years.  

I take it you've forgotten the shenanigans that went on during our previous administration, including attempts by the Republicans to make Obama cancel the State of the Union address: http://www.politicususa.com/2014/12/01/hardcore-obama-hating-house-republicans-cancel-obamas-state-union.html

Or shouting "Liar"... etc? 

We should not paint either side as white-knight Galahads, with pure and noble behavior.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
OverSword
14 minutes ago, Farmer77 said:

I disagree, if the POTUS is disrespecting the office by lying through his teeth, insulting others or proposing unconstitutional

Like Obama?  Nope. And had anyone got up and walked out or booed during one of his SOTU speeches I would have been p***ed off.

14 minutes ago, Farmer77 said:

I

Quote

 

 

 

 

Edited by OverSword
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Farmer77
Just now, OverSword said:

Like Obama?  Nope. And had anyone got up and walked out or booed during one of his SOTU speeches I would have been p***ed off.

Really? Not me. 

Again though remember I'm predicating this on IF something truly absurd fell from POTUS' mouth.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
OverSword
11 minutes ago, Kenemet said:

I take it you've forgotten the shenanigans that went on during our previous administration, including attempts by the Republicans to make Obama cancel the State of the Union address: http://www.politicususa.com/2014/12/01/hardcore-obama-hating-house-republicans-cancel-obamas-state-union.html

Or shouting "Liar"... etc? 

We should not paint either side as white-knight Galahads, with pure and noble behavior.

One guy shouted liar and his party rightly reprimanded him for it.

 

And I never heard of the other part and when I google

House Republicans Want To Cancel President Obama’s State Of The Union Address

The only thing that comes up is the story you linked to so probably not true, and a big nothing sandwich. 

Edited by OverSword
  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Farmer77
10 minutes ago, Kenemet said:

We should not paint either side as white-knight Galahads, with pure and noble behavior.

Kenemet wins the internet for the day!!!!  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
skliss

Saw this morning an Hispanic woman say that by saying Americans are dreamers Trump was being divisive and disrespecting "her immigrants". And they wonder why more and more people are turning away. I also saw one of those dial reports, where they give Reps, Dems and Indeps a little dial during the speech where they can record how they feel by turning it. No surprise Trump got an A from Reps. What was a surprise is the he also got an A from Indeps and a C from Dems.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
CeresExpo2000
6 hours ago, RavenHawk said:

That was so much different than the "you didn't build that" mentality.  Trump did his best to will and enable the American people toward prosperity.  And the Progs were shooting themselves in the foot by sitting on their hands.  Especially when Trump brought up Patriotism, which was most of his speech.  Of course, having a local boy sitting next to Melania didn't hurt either...

CBS Poll : 75% Approved of the speech  

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Merc14

Democrats thoroughly embarrassed themselves last night.  I understand the morons were "making a statement" but the moaning and groaning and not even clapping much less standing when such things as lowest black unemployement rates in 17 years and lowest ever unemployment rate for hispanics.  Ben Shapiro said it best here:  https://www.dailywire.com/news/26579/democrats-sat-all-night-during-trumps-state-union-ben-shapiro?utm_source=shapironewsletter-ae&utm_medium=email&utm_content=013118-news&utm_campaign=modelnames

Democrats sat.

Now, Republicans were anti-Obama, certainly. But they didn’t sit through his State of the Union addresses. They cheered when they agreed, and they sat when they disagreed.

But Democrats just sat.

They didn’t just sit, actually. They grimaced. They groaned. They booed and hissed. And it wasn’t just that they disapproved of Trump on policy. It’s that they refused to stand for things they supposedly believe in because they hate Trump so much. Paid family leave? They sat. Infrastructure spending? They sat. Amnesty for 1.8 million illegal immigrants? They sat.

And then they sat some more. They sat when Trump touted the American flag. They sat when Trump touted American freedom. They sat when Trump touted low black unemployment rates. They sat when Trump cheered American opportunity.

They sat because the Democratic Party has become a party focused on one figure and one figure only: Donald Trump. That’s a high-risk, high-reward strategy. It’s high-risk because it assumes that the American people despise Trump as much as they do — and last night, the polls didn’t show it. Americans liked Trump’s speech. They thought Trump was channeling something unifying. They saw Trump as a man trying to get things done, and cheerleading for other Americans. Democrats sat through all of that because they believe that Americans hate Trump the way they do — that Americans hate Trump more than they love what makes America excellent.

They have showed their hand and I guarantee Trump will use it against them, presenting concessions that make him look good knowing that the democrats will turn him down out of sheer hatred just as they did with the DACA deal he offered.  Don't think for a minute he wasn't expecting toi be rebuffed with that and he was and the dems looked totally unreasonable just as he wanted. 

  • Like 9

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Farmer77

State of the Union: Four reactions to Trump speech 

4 people 4 different reactions to the SOTU 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
RavenHawk

It was said of Rosa Parks that "she stood up by sitting down".  Last night the Democratic Black Caucus tainted that axiom and her sacrifice forever.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Farmer77
1 minute ago, RavenHawk said:

You can tell the two that fed on Progressive koolaid.

Or they just have their own viewpoints formulated from a lifetime of education and experience just like you and I ............ya know whatever. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Myles
4 hours ago, Farmer77 said:

It was a calculated political move to shore up the far left side of their base who don't view it as pouting but as taking a moral stance.    

Sure looked like pouting to me.   Either way, it was an immature move.  

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
RavenHawk
5 minutes ago, Farmer77 said:

Or they just have their own viewpoints formulated from a lifetime of education and experience just like you and I ............ya know whatever. 

Then their education and experience is questionable.  One Illegal (i.e. not an immigrant) and the other a Democrat.  The democrat saw decisiveness and the other was an illegal.  It's obvious that neither listened to the speech.  It sounds like the other two listened to the speech instead of taking in the party line and then regurgitating it.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Farmer77
Just now, RavenHawk said:

Then their education and experience is questionable.  One Illegal (i.e. not an immigrant) and the other a Democrat.  The democrat saw decisiveness and the other was an illegal.  It's obvious that neither listened to the speech.  It sounds like the other two listened to the speech instead of taking in the party line and then regurgitating it.

 Most people not already a Trump supporter saw the divisiveness, it was quite insidious in fact, so I'm not surprised you didn't pick up on it. It was a speech specifically directed at you the Trump supporter. 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
toast

9000hrs of chaos to be forgiven by a 1,5hrs speech? Thats funny. Not. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
RavenHawk
1 minute ago, Farmer77 said:

 Most people not already a Trump supporter saw the divisiveness, it was quite insidious in fact, so I'm not surprised you didn't pick up on it. It was a speech specifically directed at you the Trump supporter. 

 

We had 8 years of divisiveness from the prior Administration.  Trump is inspiring.  We went from "you didn't build that" to "yes we can".  Do you realize what happens to the psyche when a person is told they are no good or you'll never amount to anything?  Eventually they become that.  It's very similar to the Stockholm Syndrome.  Through his sheer will, he is trying to break that cycle and return dignity back to America.  The only ones that would see that divisive are Progressives because that threatens their power base.  That speech was directed at ALL Americans.  He's trying to free minds and he is succeeding.

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Space Commander Travis
1 minute ago, RavenHawk said:

Through his sheer will, he is trying to break that cycle and return dignity back to America. 

When he does so, it will truly be the triumph of the will.

 

:unsure: 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Farmer77
1 minute ago, RavenHawk said:

We had 8 years of divisiveness from the prior Administration.  Trump is inspiring.  We went from "you didn't build that" to "yes we can".  Do you realize what happens to the psyche when a person is told they are no good or you'll never amount to anything?  Eventually they become that.  It's very similar to the Stockholm Syndrome.  Through his sheer will, he is trying to break that cycle and return dignity back to America.  The only ones that would see that divisive are Progressives because that threatens their power base.  That speech was directed at ALL Americans.  He's trying to free minds and he is succeeding.

Of course you think that, you're a believer. 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Farmer77
3 minutes ago, Vlad the Mighty said:

When he does so, it will truly be the triumph of the will.

 

:unsure: 

 :lol:  

Edited by Farmer77
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
RavenHawk
2 minutes ago, Farmer77 said:

Of course you think that, you're a believer. 

 

Hell yes I do!  I believe in America.  That is a lot more than Obama could say.  He betrayed the American ideal to be a citizen of the world.  We are part of this world but we are citizens of America first.

 

I believe in America. As president of the United States I will always put America first just like the leaders of other countries should put their country first also. But America first does not mean America alone. When the United States grows, so does the world. American prosperity has created countless jobs all around the globe and the drive for excellence, creativity, and innovation in the U.S. Has led to important discoveries that help people everywhere live more prosperous and far healthier lives.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sir Wearer of Hats
11 minutes ago, Vlad the Mighty said:

When he does so, it will truly be the triumph of the will.

 

:unsure: 

And now THERE’S a phrase to chill the blood.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Farmer77
1 minute ago, RavenHawk said:

Hell yes I do!  I believe in America.  That is a lot more than Obama could say.  He betrayed the American ideal to be a citizen of the world.  We are part of this world but we are citizens of America first.

 Exactly my point. You're a believer in Trump so you don't see the division he sews as being something he's doing. 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.